Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

It's insane how much better lightning claws look when they look like fingers and not like Wolverine's claws.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Am I wrong or is that Raven Guard in plastic, not Resin?

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
Welp I got calth for Xmas so I guess I'm officially a ham again. Gonna wait to see the actual rules for blood/dark angels before deciding on a legion, it's either going to be them, imperial fists or Raven guard.

Either way there's gonna be flyers full of loyalists in the Seattle area by the end of the year. :unsmigghh:

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

TKIY posted:

Am I wrong or is that Raven Guard in plastic, not Resin?

Looks to be resin.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

tallkidwithglasses posted:

Welp I got calth for Xmas so I guess I'm officially a ham again. Gonna wait to see the actual rules for blood/dark angels before deciding on a legion, it's either going to be them, imperial fists or Raven guard.

Either way there's gonna be flyers full of loyalists in the Seattle area by the end of the year. :unsmigghh:

Awww poo poo. I'm moving there in a few weeks. We'll need to ham it up

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
Totally down but I'm not sure if I'm cool enough to flip out and smash my mans when I lose.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
We have very high standards of sportsmanship, but I'm sure we can make an exception

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

tallkidwithglasses posted:

Totally down but I'm not sure if I'm cool enough to flip out and smash my mans when I lose.

Turn out if I'm not there everybody's real cordial and has a good time. I'm a bad winner, it comes from years of HoN and Dota.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
Oh so you're actually Horus.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT
book 6 is supposed to drop at the weekender in February right?

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Hencoe posted:

book 6 is supposed to drop at the weekender in February right?

Maybe, possibly, could be, but overall likely.

Germ
May 7, 2013

Hey, I need some advice on list building, as it will help inform what models I’ll build from the BoC sets I have. Any advice is appreciated! As of now, I’m working toward a 2500 point Raven Guard force. This list uses the Decapitation Strike RoW.

Currently, this is at 2147, which leaves another 353 to spend. I’m not sure where it should go. More Drop Pods seem like a good idea (perhaps some cheap 10-man objective-grabbers that will let me put the pods with the heavy-hitters down first turn), or perhaps another largish infiltrating unit. At this point I feel that I don’t have much to deal with armour save for close combat. Elites feel super tight, and I considered adding a 100 point character just to get some Feel No Pain on the Tactical blob.

Captain Maun with Cameleoline
20 Tacticals, melta bombs on the Sergeant, additional chainswords on the squad

Infiltrates somewhere central with Maun to provide a large 18” zone of scatter-free dropping.

5 Tactical Supports, with plasma, in a Drop Pod
Drops in on an objective to target terminators or light vehicles.

Contemptor Dreadnought (one chainfist, one close combat weapon, 2 graviton guns, in a dreadnought drop pod)
Drops in somewhere close to big vehicles and goes on smashing duty. I’m not certain if gravitons are the best choice here, or if meltaguns would be better.

Contemptor Mortis with 2 Kheres and a Havoc Launcher
This guy would be plopped down somewhere central for AA duty and general suppressive fire. This would be the only model I deployed regularly.

5 Cataphractii Terminators in a Dreadclaw Droppod (4 combi-weapons, two chainfists)
Not sure what type of power weapons to go for or whether to mess with some lightning claws. They look gorgeous, so maybe on the Sergeant. Not sure which type of combi-weapons to go for. Help!

7 Mor Deythan, Melta bombs on the Sgt, all with combi-flamers in a Rhino
These folks are on anti-horde duty. I considered putting them in a Dreadclaw or other Drop Pod, but that might limit their mobility after their initial strike.

10 Dark Furies, melta bombs on the Sgt
I could be convinced to make the unit smaller, but the forthcoming models look too cool to pass up.

Deathstorm Drop Pod, drop pod assault.
Drops in to disrupt and pin enemy infantry. I don't know how worth it this is, or if there's a better choice for my Heavy Support choice.

Not having played 30k, I acknowledge that I may be completely missing the boat on list-building.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

You need another tactical squad, assault squad or breacher squad. They are the only compulsory troop choices. Tactical support are not compulsory. Also Mor Deythan can't buy drop pods. Jury is still out on whether or not Maun can have the Deythans ride shotgun in his though.

Germ
May 7, 2013

DJ Dizzy posted:

You need another tactical squad, assault squad or breacher squad. They are the only compulsory troop choices. Tactical support are not compulsory. Also Mor Deythan can't buy drop pods. Jury is still out on whether or not Maun can have the Deythans ride shotgun in his though.

Ah, gotcha! Thinking of spending the extra points on a tactical unit of 10 in a pod and another support unit in a pod.

For theMor Deythan, you can buy some types of drop pods as fast attack choices and put them in it, right? I know they can't have a dedicated pod outside of the orbital strike RoW, but Dreadclaws would work, no?

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Dreadclaws are fine, you just cant buy normal drop pods as FA.

Germ
May 7, 2013

DJ Dizzy posted:

Dreadclaws are fine, you just cant buy normal drop pods as FA.

Worth the extra 65 points, or is the stock-standard Rhino just fine? I feel like, with my lack of armour, most enemy heavy weapons wouldn't have much else to shoot at so the Rhino would pop pretty fast. Hmm... Though, it is an infiltrating Rhino, right?

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Germ posted:

Worth the extra 65 points, or is the stock-standard Rhino just fine? I feel like, with my lack of armour, most enemy heavy weapons wouldn't have much else to shoot at so the Rhino would pop pretty fast. Hmm... Though, it is an infiltrating Rhino, right?

It is. The drop pod does allow you to just delete a single unit with twin-linked, rending flamers. The rhino offers abit more versatility afterwards. Also it's cheaper.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

The dreadclaw is cool because it's a 100 point assault vehicle.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
the dreadclaw is cool bc its a claw that you fly into the ground and its covered in flame throwers and heat cannons and then your giant baby soldiers run out and stab people

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
this is canon.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Amen.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
figured these http://www.ebay.com/itm/-/252234244675?ssPageName=ADME%3AL%3ALCA%3AUS%3A1123 might be relevant to someone

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
yeah an idiot who wants his army to look like dog turds

BirdieBedtime
Apr 1, 2011
Turns out painting Imperial Fists is fun when you only have to paint one.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

yeah an idiot who wants his army to look like dog turds

I think if your third party not-[GW thing] is going to appeal to folks it has to look superior on its own merits OR be cheaper than buying a recast.

That does neither (though admittedly the former is subjective).

JerryLee fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jan 1, 2016

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

JerryLee posted:

I think if your third party not-[GW thing] is going to appeal to folks it has to look superior on its own merits OR be cheaper than buying a recast.

That does neither (though admittedly the former is subjective).

Dick bike or bust.

Bear Throne
Apr 9, 2014
So, never having played a GW game, I am unsure of how much I should focus on objectives, both in the list and on the table. This is the list I was thinking of:

quote:

++ Solar Auxilia (Age of Darkness) (1995pts) ++

Auxilia Tank Commander (55pts)

Legate Commander (55pts) [Iron Halo]

Auxilia Infantry Tercio (390pts)
··Auxilia Lasrifle Section
··Dracosan Armoured Transport [Auxiliary Drive, Demolisher Cannon]
··Veletaris Storm Section

Auxilia Infantry Tercio (400pts)
··Auxilia Flamer Section
··Auxilia Lasrifle Section
··Dracosan Armoured Transport [Auxiliary Drive, Demolisher Cannon]

Auxilia Rapier Battery (120pts) [2x Quad Mortar Teams]

Enginseer Auxillia (160pts) [6x Phased-plasma Fusil, 2x Servo-arm, 8x Servo-automata, Augury Scanner]

Auxilia Primaris-Lightning Strike Fighter (230pts) [Battle Servitor Control, Ground-tracking Auguries, Twin-linked Autocannon, 2x Two Kraken penetrator heavy missiles]

Auxilia Malcador Heavy Tank (295pts) [Demolisher Siege Cannon, Lascannons, Siege armour]

Auxilia Malcador Infernus Special Weapons Tank (290pts) [Chemical Ammunition]
The tank commander goes with the regular Malcador.

Most every list I make has pretty much the same two Tercio's for troops. Is that reasonable? Also general list critique to see if I have a good idea of what to do and where to improve.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

LordAba posted:

Dick bike or bust.

Amen.

Also to kick off the year, I just accepted a job offer in Barcelona and this morning I mailed my signed contract back to the company.
I can't wait to drop my resignation letter first thing Monday morning :dance:

Till I relocate in March tho I need to put my warhams on hold :(
If anyone here is in Barcelona let me know. Probably not.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I don't want to buy the core red book because it's getting reprinted / rebalanced in 2016, right?

e: vvv Awesome, thanks!

moths fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jan 2, 2016

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

moths posted:

I don't want to buy the core red book because it's getting reprinted / rebalanced in 2016, right?

Correct.

e.
1.Next primarch to be released is Russ, followed by Magnus. Both for this year.
2. Book 7 re-confirmed to be Prospero, due this year.
3. Book 6 will be on sale at the HH Weekender, early February.
4. HH Masterclass 1 book is just... general advice, no legion-specific guides at all. Boo.

Legion Mastodon

Raven Guard Dark Furies

Ordinatus with volcano whatever

Alpha Legion Headhunters

Legion Leviathan with Melta Lance

Mango Polo fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jan 2, 2016

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Bear Throne posted:

Most every list I make has pretty much the same two Tercio's for troops. Is that reasonable? Also general list critique to see if I have a good idea of what to do and where to improve.

I'm not really sure how Solar Auxilia is meant to play, but I'd keep in mind that marine armies can be surprisingly bulky so with the number of troops you have you might not actually have the weight of numbers you need on your side. A bunch of big tanks and a lightning is definitely scary though.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
SA are really good as mechanized assault armies or as gun lines.

Also any ideas on what the 'crusade imperialis' book is going to have? It has a different name from the crusade legions. Is it everything combined or is it a new list for the mid heresy?

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
All of the Solar Auxillia, militia stuff e.g warp cults, and Knights.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
Just to confirm as I laze around thinking about lists, non-compulsory Troops choices are still scoring units, right? A squad of plasma gunners won't be one of the two troops you need for your force org chart but they can still claim an objective in the game?

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT
Bingo, the only non scoring troops that I can think of are the admech robots.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
Terminators also score. Helps to balance how expensive they are.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Plasma pistol, Volkite serpenta, and power weapon is a legal Moritat loadout, right? Kinda confused as to whether it's okay to swap the additional bolt pistol they get with something else.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Isnt it only the legion specific red book getting re-printed?

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Those Alpha Legion models look fantastic. I'm looking to get into this 30k business simply for the models, maybe moving to play later. Is the Betrayal at Calth board game still the easiest way in for a Legion army?

e: I'm in Australia, so BaC is $265, so steeper than I'd like. I'm leaning towards just ordering some Mk II or III armour dudes and giving them a whirl first to see if I want to continue.

Endman fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jan 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killer_Bees!
Dec 25, 2005

I, for one, welcome
our new insect overlords.
Buglord

Endman posted:

Those Alpha Legion models look fantastic. I'm looking to get into this 30k business simply for the models, maybe moving to play later. Is the Betrayal at Calth board game still the easiest way in for a Legion army?

e: I'm in Australia, so BaC is $265, so steeper than I'd like. I'm leaning towards just ordering some Mk II or III armour dudes and giving them a whirl first to see if I want to continue.

Don't pay retail for calth in Aus, you can get it for 215-220 from the good online stores, I picked up 2 at 215 and was super happy