Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Holy gently caress, that last episode was insanity.
I can't believe we got such a sequence in the 4th episode of the series.

I can't believe we have space battles on TV in the year 2015. :allears:

Don't gently caress it up, Syfy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The series follows Starship Troopers as showing annoying mormons in a science fiction setting.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
I find the idea that space Mormons are exactly the same as regular Mormons endlessly entertaining, for some reason. Much more so than if, say, the show depicted entirely unchanged Roman Catholics or Hindus.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
space mormons are awesome

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Maybe Starship Troopers is a sequel to The Expanse?

The mormon generation ship did make the journey but ended up trying to colonize a arachnid planet with predictable results.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Quorum posted:

I find the idea that space Mormons are exactly the same as regular Mormons endlessly entertaining, for some reason. Much more so than if, say, the show depicted entirely unchanged Roman Catholics or Hindus.

Just wait for Hyperion.

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

I have to say the actress who played the Martian captain did a tremendous job. Her "I didn't think we could lose" was also the best line in the entire show so far.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Gamesguy posted:

I have to say the actress who played the Martian captain did a tremendous job. Her "I didn't think we could lose" was also the best line in the entire show so far.
Asians are better at everything.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Except for winning at space battles :owned:

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Strategic Tea posted:

Except for winning at space battles :owned:

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Gamesguy posted:

It baffles me that the AV Club review of the episode dedicated an entire paragraph to saying how he thought that line was stupid.
Christ, why do I even bother reading that site anymore?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Deakul posted:

It baffles me that the AV Club review of the episode dedicated an entire paragraph to saying how he thought that line was stupid.
Christ, why do I even bother reading that site anymore?

The AV Club is really horrible IMO.

I thought the line was good given how the initial impressions of the Martians are a bunch of know it all pricks who look down on the other groups.

I liked the whole Custer's Last Stand feel for the battle especially when they realized they had to take on 6 ships.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

Professor Shark posted:

Book 4+ Can someone MS Paint me what the hell the Ring Station is supposed to look like?

I thought it was like a big shiny Death Star, but it's been a while since I've read it.

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Specialization is for insects.

GigaPeon posted:

I thought it was like a big shiny Death Star, but it's been a while since I've read it.

Book 3+ spoiler: Holden describes it in his broadcast as a glowing blue orb, I think. In my mind it's vaguely covered in all the weird fractally design language that the protomolecule stuff displays. He specifically enters it through an iris.

I'm really looking forward to episode 5 this week. Do we know if they are going to continue streaming them?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

pugnax posted:

Book 3+ spoiler: Holden describes it in his broadcast as a glowing blue orb, I think. In my mind it's vaguely covered in all the weird fractally design language that the protomolecule stuff displays. He specifically enters it through an iris.

I'm really looking forward to episode 5 this week. Do we know if they are going to continue streaming them?

I certainly hope they continue free streaming but The Expanse is offered at sites such as Google Play if you're a cord cutter.

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

etalian posted:

I certainly hope they continue free streaming but The Expanse is offered at sites such as Google Play if you're a cord cutter.

Just saw that the whole season is $20 on amazon, so I might do that.

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Just rewatched episode 4. I think that tv Amos is actually better than my imaginary Amos - the sad puppy vibes are just too good.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

pugnax posted:

Just saw that the whole season is $20 on amazon, so I might do that.

I got the Season Pass on iTunes, myself. I'm getting ready to ditch the cable TV service and don't want to miss out and wait for Netflix.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Season 2 is scheduled to air in 2017. This'll be an excruciating wait.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
gah

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Gamesguy posted:

The Martians have best and newest ships between the the Earth/Belters so it's a totally believable line. That was the flag ship of the best fleet in the galaxy, who would have thought they could loose to a random lone ship?

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

BexGu posted:

The Martians have best and newest ships between the the Earth/Belters so it's a totally believable line. That was the flag ship of the best fleet in the galaxy, who would have thought they could loose to a random lone ship?

Anyone who has watched a lot of Sci-Fi knows that the Flagship is always the first ship that goes down fighting an unknown enemy.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Xae posted:

Anyone who has watched a lot of Sci-Fi knows that the Flagship is always the first ship that goes down fighting an unknown enemy.

Maybe they don't have science fiction in the future!? Did you ever think about that, tough guy!?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

BexGu posted:

I liked the oh poo poo moment before the fight in which the odds went from 1:1 to vs 6 ships.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

etalian posted:

I liked the oh poo poo moment before the fight in which the odds went from 1:1 to vs 6 ships.

I don't think that was the moment that caused the most concern. I think it was when they were packing railguns.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
I just caught up on these four episodes, and now this is my favorite show.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Milky Moor posted:

I don't think that was the moment that caused the most concern. I think it was when they were packing railguns.

Yeah, I think that's when they went from thinking "Oh, it's just a bunch of pirates in lovely little ships with jury-rigged weapons" to "Oh, gently caress, these are real warships and we are boned."

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Also, your million-ton battleship is kind of pointless when six destroyers can kill it, but I guess the MCRN is above things like screening elements.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I think Holden looking weirded out, when the self-patching suit does its thing, sets the general idea of the unknown party's tech vs. what the rest has, and how unexpected it is.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Kesper North posted:

Also, your million-ton battleship is kind of pointless when six destroyers can kill it, but I guess the MCRN is above things like screening elements.

Well a good amount of it is due to martians having a superiority complex and also how the unknown faction made it seem like it was just one ship trying to take down the battleship.

The books also mention even though the Earth navy is slightly larger, MCRN would have a big edge in a fight due to having more advanced technology and also how their crews are much better trained/more motivated.

etalian fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jan 3, 2016

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007
Yeah, it's like Yao said, most of her crew have never been in a real battle, because who would actually stand up to MCRN forces? They've been the technological top dogs for so long, and if the ships had just been Belter- or Earth-based pirates, they would've had no problem turning them into sparkly space dust.

The casual, competitive attitude the weapons officers had when dealing with the torpedoes and such was a pretty good indicator of the level of hubris involved. If I'd not read the books, that would've been the moment I realized they were doomed.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Reminder that the show starts up new episodes this week on Tuesday Jan 5.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

KatWithHands posted:

The casual, competitive attitude the weapons officers had when dealing with the torpedoes and such was a pretty good indicator of the level of hubris involved. If I'd not read the books, that would've been the moment I realized they were doomed.

Haha didn't the captain leave the bridge after ordering the ships destroyed? They did a great job showing the Martian arrogance that persists through the books.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
So I'm only book 1.5 so far but the re-characterization of characters is weirding me out a bunch. For example how feckless Holden seems in eps 2 and 3, compared to how strong Naomi is. Also Amos and Naomi are suggesting a very deep background there that I haven't picked up on from the books yet. Is that new or just pulled back from the books somewhere further than I am?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
The Amos/Alex/Naomi crowd doesn't really get characterization until Book 5, so they're pulling that material forward.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Kesper North posted:

It's more like they don't expect to have to fight - technological superiority or no. There's a cold war on, but people are used to those, and nobody does anything stupid because nobody wants a massive end-of-species sort of war. For Mars, there isn't supposed to be any real battle threat that isn't Earth, and Earth isn't stupid enough to attack, so they're not expecting anything but maybe belter pirates. The existence of real warships that aren't Earth or Mars is a total surprise and throws those calculations out the window.

a foolish pianist fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jan 3, 2016

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

a foolish pianist posted:

It's more like they don't expect to have to fight - technological superiority or no. There's a cold war on, but people are used to those, and nobody does anything stupid because nobody wants a massive end-of-species sort of war. For Mars, there isn't supposed to be any real battle threat that isn't Earth, and Earth isn't stupid enough to attack, so they're not expecting anything but maybe belter pirates. The existence of real warships that aren't Earth or Mars is a total surprise and throws those calculations out the window.

I've just started reading the first book, but one of the things they mention is that no one actually expects a war. It is way too risky a thing to do in space. Ceres and the outer rim colonies can be wiped out by just flinging a rock at them and there is nothing they can do to defend against it.

But the inner planets are vulnerable as well. A big rock will get picked up by defense grids, but a ton of smaller objects would either get through or overwhelm the defenses. Casualties of a direct hit with a gravity weapon on a major city or installation would be in the millions.

Everyone expects a bunch of dick waving followed by a return to the status quo.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Kesper North posted:

From what I recall weren't the attackers corporate mercs who had bazillions of bucks and super-advanced tech behind them.? (book spoiler)

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jan 4, 2016

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought...

Party Plane Jones posted:

From what I recall weren't the attackers corporate mercs who had bazillions of bucks and super-advanced tech behind them.?

Yes.

Also I think the above still counts as a book spoiler you might want to tag it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

feedmegin posted:

Neither is a bittorrent client. Its what you use it for that could be.

Just to clarify this discussion. Using streaming sites and VPN's to circumvent copyright is illegal in the US, but streaming is not in most of Europe. There was a court case in the European court 2 years ago, which made it not illegal to watch a stream where the streamer was showing content they have no right to show. Specifically they were seen as people who are just witnessing a crime, while the offense is being done by the person who is running the stream.

As to the show, its really bizarrely good and really does deserve to be shown more widely than it currently is.

• Locked thread