Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Mendrian posted:

Latin is not subject to a mathematical 1:1 translation to English, no, but the linguistic barrier is much lighter than it is with other languages. Latin, as a dead language, isn't really subject to the permutations that a living language would be. Latin was used as a static language of education/writing for centuries without anybody really speaking it and certainly nobody was changing it. The exact meaning of words are very well documented and reinforced by the fact the Romans themselves very likely did not speak something exactly like the Latin we learn in schools. A lot of evidence suggests that written Latin was much more formal and resistant to change than spoken Latin was.

TLDR: While you can't necessarily exchange words one for one, people with a background in Latin have a much more exacting understanding of what individual words mean than you'd expect.

so what is the final verdict of the translation of the latin phrase on the card?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Video Games are Art.

"Fideles quoad Decedemus" - "Faithful to Quitting"

How do you say that in Klingon? seems more appropriate. Did the killrathi have some ridiculous language? I never played those games ('cause I was too busy playing X-Wing :smugdog:)

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Agrajag posted:

so what is the final verdict of the translation of the latin phrase on the card?

A coded cry for help, from whichever CIG employee coined it, that the ever-faithful will interpret simply as: "Star Citizen 4 life!" regardless of what it actually says.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Mirificus posted:

Working for someone who has a vision is often hard. You get in the way of his vision, you are not likely to be treated well. You can't meet his standards, you will probably be shown the door. You should really read up on Picasso if you want a picture of an artist and the terrible things they do for such beautiful art.

And that is what this is. Art.

Nobody wants to admit it, but it's art. It is the culmination of art. The only time an artist can ACTUALLY engage his audience on a truly PERSONAL level. In no other medium will an artist be able to, effectively look each and every member of an audience in the eye and personalize their art to the audience.

It's why, even before the reveal, so many of us are so emotionally involved. Only art brings such fire. It's art that makes you want validation for your feelings. As if somehow looking at the books would make you feel different.

It woun't. You wouldn't know how to interpret it and it's not the art that will make you feel better about the project. You are impatient and falling for DS's bullshit just like Lazy Lizzy.

Puffy Face Gary Oldman is this generation's Garçon à la pipe.

Wait that painting sold for less than SC has raised.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

neonbregna posted:

Source your quotes

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/5744818/#Comment_5744818

I like your flowchart :)

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

What another good shiny object to throw out to the masses. That should be worth another three months.

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Lowtax posted:

Puffy Face Gary Oldman is this generation's Garçon à la pipe.

Wait that painting sold for less than SC has raised.

What brings you out of your ambien and toilet wine slumber friend?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

neonbregna posted:

Anyone received their black card yet?

yep,this guy did

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3z5dei/my_concierge_vip_card_arrived_from_china_got_it/

peep one of the comments from the thread:

:911: those god drat (?) populists (?) and wanting to bring down exceptional games like Star Citizen :911:

Have some bonus VR comments:

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Mandalore is beautiful this time of year...
Please explain.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Eonwe posted:

Shiny object successfully deployed.

EightAce
May 10, 2015

Watch it all come crashing down on his head and wonder why any of us gave him money in the first place.

Chalks posted:

I actually agree with you. You can't say this game is a total scam. Anyone who's spent $50 on this game may well end up getting a pretty decent space shooter out the other end of it and feel that they've had value for money. The other end is going to be a very long time away, in the order of 3 or 4 years most likely, but you can't really call that a scam.

There are undoubtedly parts of the whole thing that are a scam though. Charging people $30,000 for space ships is a scam. It's a scam that those ships have not only yet to be implemented or even rendered in game yet, but also the fundamental concepts behind their use (like news reporting or passenger transportation) have yet to be even designed. It is a scam that Chris Roberts says "yes" to every single suggestion that is thrown his way. We're getting fully procedurally generated wild life on planets that you can capture as pets for your space ships and raise by hand apparently. Is that real or just the blind fantasy of someone with absolutely no scope control? This sort of thing just goes on and on, with nobody having any idea where the game ends and the insane fantasy begins.

So yeah, if you've paid $50 and want a neat space game you might well get one - but that's not what CIG has been peddling for a long time now. They're trying to sell people something much much bigger - something they have no chance of fully delivering on.

I imagine your impressions of the game are from a distance and that you're unaware of all the promised made about this game. The PU might be a demonstration of 20% of what the game will eventually offer but it's 1% of what they've promised.

This isn't a scam:
It's been appallingly managed by a totally out of touch wanker and his harriden of a wife, but not a scam.

The scammy looking money grabs are a desperate attempt to keep the dream alive as they really are almost out of cash.

I have it on good authority that certain people have been looked after up front via the dodgy ' sell back shares to CIG ' manouver.

Others, dev staff,who left other more solid employment to join this train wreck on promised yearly bonuses have recently been told the bonuses are now discretionary ! And many have received a laughable amount if anything.

It is simply a man who has totally lost control and is far to arrogant or knowledgable to initiate a fix.

The game will not come out , I know this. I have seen behind the curtain

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

neonbregna posted:

What brings you out of your ambien and toilet wine slumber friend?

I've been posting in this thread for days, but ha ha good ambien and wine joke or whatever

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

I'll be honest on the topic of VR in Star Citizen.

LOL

Enjoy VR in glorious 10fps.

:barf:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Eonwe posted:

Ah. More buzzwords that the poster in question undoubtedly misuses.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Lowtax posted:

I've been posting in this thread for days, but ha ha good ambien and wine joke or whatever

Would you and Dsmart do a Lets Play on the latest Alpha? The brown sea needs to see the conspiracy come full circle.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Agrajag posted:

From /r/Latin:

quote:

from eukomos via /r/latin sent an hour ago
"Loyal as far as we depart/withdraw." Or you know, I think quoad can be used metaphorically, it might be "loyal until we retire," like from a job.

quote:

from ReedsAndSerpents via /r/latin sent 49 minutes ago
"We used Google Translate" is my best rendition.

quote:

[–]Laserman6700 3 points 46 minutes ago
It's a fine translation. There isn't often a one-to-one analogue when translating between languages, so words in Latin can have a variety of English translations, just as words in English have different meanings in different contexts. On top of that, a bit of license is given for mottoes.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Agrajag posted:

Several generous and not so generous interpretations:

"Faithful until it's over."

"Faithful until we give up."

"Faithful until we retire."

"Faithful until there's no one left."

"Faithful until the fall."

None of these have the kind of 'forever and always' connotations that I think they wanted.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

It's not normal to have an account here for a week and make such good posts. What's the story behind this?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

loving knew you would convert to Chrisianity. Nobody spends so much time immersed in the Brown Sea without swallowing a few buckets' worth of poo poo.

I never take the time to post about how much I appreciate you, and others. Thank you for the lols.

I think the concierge card would've been better with:
"Donec currimus de pecunia"
"Conturbauit aut mortem"
"spatio mundum clava"

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Tippis posted:

Ah. More buzzwords that the poster in question undoubtedly misuses.

Someone needs to subject these guys to virtual boy

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

EightAce posted:

This isn't a scam:
It's been appallingly managed by a totally out of touch wanker and his harriden of a wife, but not a scam.

The scammy looking money grabs are a desperate attempt to keep the dream alive as they really are almost out of cash.

I have it on good authority that certain people have been looked after up front via the dodgy ' sell back shares to CIG ' manouver.

Others, dev staff,who left other more solid employment to join this train wreck on promised yearly bonuses have recently been told the bonuses are now discretionary ! And many have received a laughable amount if anything.

It is simply a man who has totally lost control and is far to arrogant or knowledgable to initiate a fix.

The game will not come out , I know this. I have seen behind the curtain
Since you know people at CIG, I trust that this might really be true. And if so...

:vince:

If it shines further light into the bizarre pathologies of the harridan, it could help us all make retroactive sense of a lot of the madness and heartache she's been responsible for over the last several years...

G0RF fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Aug 2, 2016

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer

AlmightyPants posted:

As someone who has only been following this whole mess from afar up until last month and with no money spent, the thing that's most interesting to me from a purely academic standpoint is that they promised the creation of entirely new languages. I saw that listed as a stretch goal during the kickstarter and it's stuck with me since then. And assuming they actually have supposedly paid someone to do this and they might actually be doing it (although no one has posted any evidence of it here so I am unaware of it happening) it might actually be the only completely new thing that comes out of this trainwreck as a complete, cohesive whole.

Of course, it will just be a bonus when the true believers start posting in their new language to confound us goons!

It's not a space sim but the Conlang (constructed language) Hymmnos was created for the Ar Tonellico game series back in 2006. There are probably other Conlangs that can be found in games but I don't know of them. At the very least, Star Citizen isn't the first game to feature a Conlang :eng101:.

It may be the first Conlang to feature in a space sim but I'm sure someone can find a counter example.

Nyeehg fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jan 2, 2016

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

G0RF posted:

Since you know people at CIG, I trust that this might really be true. And if so...

:vince:

I hope that one day, after the implosion is complete and the innocents have walked away, that you will tell us the Ranch story, EightAce.

If it shines further light into the bizarre pathologies of the harridan, it could help us all make retroactive sense of a lot of the madness and heartache she's been responsible for over the last several years...

Ooh what's the ranch story? I wanna hear the ranch story!

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

neonbregna posted:

Someone needs to subject these guys to virtual boy

Yes, but I don't think anyone would voluntarily be sent to The Hague over a video movie game.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Mirificus posted:

Please explain.

Well, you see, the northern hemisphere is going through a nice 12-year warming period thanks to the slower orbit around Mandalore's star, Jabbu-Jabbu.

Because as we all know, your username is a literal part of you and your ego. I once got in a fight with some teen punk because he wasn't scared that I held the death sentence on 18 systems!

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I never take the time to post about how much I appreciate you, and others. Thank you for the lols.

I think the concierge card would've been better with:
"Donec currimus de pecunia"
"Conturbauit aut mortem"
"spatio mundum clava"

Here's one the croberts family should have on a bumper sticker...

"Sona si Latine loqueris"

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Also, I look exactly like Kung Fury

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/310764/psa-do-not-buy-weapons-from-the-vd-store

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Also, I look exactly like Kung Fury

If you can't flip a cop car with a skateboard, I'm going to be very disappointed in you. :colbert:

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

Lowtax posted:

Yeah, but he hasn't. Checkmate lowtax

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

AP posted:

It's not normal to have an account here for a week and make such good posts. What's the story behind this?

I lurked more.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

I've been away from this thread since 2.0 came out.

I regret that.

Could someone please list the highlights of the last 1-2 months or so?

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

EightAce posted:

It is simply a man who has totally lost control and is far to arrogant or knowledgeable to initiate a fix.

CIG is a company that's taking $30,000 off people's hands for a product they cannot deliver. One arrogant and incompetent man at the helm isn't a get out of jail free card for all the other people taking that money and helping perpetuate the façade. That's the point where you can defend calling it a scam IMO.

Not everyone is getting scammed, but some people certainly are.

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!
"NOT A SCAM! HE'S JUST INCOMPETENT!" does not explain spending $200,000 of backer money on designer furniture or prime beach front studio locations. If he was truly scrambling to create his dream he wouldn't be swindling backers on stupid excess that has nothing to do with the game.

Anyway, it could be both. Croberts is an incompetent autist that should not be entrusted with anything over a $50,000 budget, and Sandi is a scamming gold digger using him for 15 minutes of nerd fame and money.

Rad Russian fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jan 2, 2016

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Lowtax posted:

How much were you invested for originally. Me I am at 1k plus so far

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Bait and Swatch posted:

Yeah, but he hasn't. Checkmate lowtax

Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his balls.

Hint: we are lowtax's ball swear

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Dante80 posted:

I regret that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWq8ynUq7wM

All Of It.

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Dante80 posted:

I regret that.

Secret war crimes do not steal

http://i.imgur.com/OOWqdgw.webm

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Tippis posted:

If you can't flip a cop car with a skateboard, I'm going to be very disappointed in you. :colbert:

Who can't?

It's hard living the Kung Fury life though, especially after I was banned from the local arcades for "dangerous behaviour". Apparently nobody else sees the nazi icons on the cabinets, and something about "discharging firearms within city limits".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Hey Karl, remember that time I googled your username here and found an insane twitter account. A twitter account with an identical username, that was friends with Dickwulf, spewed hate at Derek Smart until he blocked it and I laughed and posted a screenshot from it?

Remember how you said that's not mine and linked your real "twitter account", which funnily enough showed you friends with Dickwulf & spewing hate at Derek Smart until he blocked it. The username from that account lead to your RSI account. Then how some idiot on reddit tried trolling me, even though I don't post there, about poo poo Karl was upset about and it turned out that was you too.

Do you remember all that? Because I do and it was hilarious.

• Locked thread