Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I made a few French 75s last night for a few people who'd never had them before.

I'm married, so this is the only way I can make strange people hate me the morning after meeting them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

The French 75 is the cruelest cocktail.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Kenning posted:

The French 75 is the coolest cocktail.
:slick:

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Today a patron asked me if we had a less sweet version of one of our house cocktails, the French 76.

Edit: 1.75L of Vieux Carre went into the oak barrel today :thurman:

George Dickel Rye, Courvoisier VS, Antica Formula for the base liquors.

Fart Car '97 fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jan 3, 2016

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
How long do I have to leave the cherries in the brandy and sugar before I can start eating them?

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
You got a dick with that problem!?!
6 weeks

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

CodfishCartographer posted:

My girlfriend picked me up a bottle of apple pie vodka and cinnamon toast rum. No clue how they’ll taste but apparently she tried them both and said they were pretty good. Trying to think how I want to mix them.

I figure I’ll mess around with them and ginger beer, apple cider, allspice dram, honey, and other wintery flavors would probably wind up alright. Any suggestions for good wintery drinks to make with them?

Trip report: I haven't been able to make anything decent with the cinnamon toast rum yet, but the apple pie vodka made a great Moscow mule. Well, sort of, I used ginger ale instead of ginger beer, and a 12oz double old fashioned glass instead of a copper mug. Okay so it isn't really a Moscow mule but it was really good.

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
If anyone tells you a drink has to be in a particular glass to be called something send em to me and ill sort them out *cracks knuckles*

I'm also pretty down with ginger ale subbing for ginger beer with white spirits and I pretty much call them both mules regardless cause if I start calling them Bucks I'm gonna confuse a large part of my clientele

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

CodfishCartographer posted:

Trip report: I haven't been able to make anything decent with the cinnamon toast rum yet, but the apple pie vodka made a great Moscow mule. Well, sort of, I used ginger ale instead of ginger beer, and a 12oz double old fashioned glass instead of a copper mug. Okay so it isn't really a Moscow mule but it was really good.

I would just mix the 2 spirits together and call it a day.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I was talking to a friend lately and mentioned I was drinking mainly Martinis, then remarked I always wanted to try Lillet but at AU$40 it was a tad too expensive to be an impulse buy. He treated me to a bottle as a late Christmas present. By itself it's a nice dessert style wine, however it turns out I love it in a "Martini". It's not a real Martini I know, but a Lillet Martini tastes great and without Vodka is a poor man's Vesper. I found a bit of Aperol tonight too, and have thoroughly been enjoying what I found out is a "Cheeky Negroni". It's supposed to be 1:1:1 but I find 2oz Gin, 1oz Aperol and 1oz Lillet is really, really nice. A strong drink but the Aperol gives it the slight bitterness (I imagine Campari would be too bitter for a drink like this) and the Lillet really brings a freshness. Highly recommended. My only regret is that Lillet has such a short (By alcohol standards) shelf life.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Syrup question cocktail dudes:

I made a lemon/blueberry oleo saccharum at work. The base with just the oiled sugar and lemon juice is amazing, but there's a lot of excess blueberries. Blend (some) in, press them all in, or leave them out entirely? I'm worried blending will make the liquid too thick. Looks don't matter, it'll be served in an opaque vessel anyways.

It was originally intended to be a shrub but I don't think that's going to add much to this batch, so I'm thinking I might just make it a syrup.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
That sounds like something I should make and drop in a cake/whipped vodka for my wife.

Right now I'm resisting the urge to break into the brandied cherries that just went into the jar last week.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

Fart Car '97 posted:

Syrup question cocktail dudes:

I made a lemon/blueberry oleo saccharum at work. The base with just the oiled sugar and lemon juice is amazing, but there's a lot of excess blueberries. Blend (some) in, press them all in, or leave them out entirely? I'm worried blending will make the liquid too thick. Looks don't matter, it'll be served in an opaque vessel anyways.

It was originally intended to be a shrub but I don't think that's going to add much to this batch, so I'm thinking I might just make it a syrup.

My instinct is to go separately with them, if you press or blend them in you're stuck with it. Juice the blueberries separately, add a little ascorbic acid and maybe some water depending on the texture. Add oleo and blueberry separately.

Why is it in an opaque glass?

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

My instinct is to go separately with them, if you press or blend them in you're stuck with it. Juice the blueberries separately, add a little ascorbic acid and maybe some water depending on the texture. Add oleo and blueberry separately.

Why is it in an opaque glass?

I ended up blending in a portion of the blueberries and letting it drain through a chinois, then added a little vinegar to make it a light shrub. The resulting flavor is fantastic, and it looks beautiful to boot.

It's a cocktail-for-two served in a brass pineapple. Because management bought them and says use the pineapples (Which is fine, because people love them).

Fart Car '97 fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jan 7, 2016

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
My sister got me a bottle of pomegranate molasses for Christmas and I'm trying to figure out how to incorporate it into cocktails. It has the consistency of warm honey and a color of day-old blood. It's sweet but not like grenadine and it doesn't seem to do what I want it to do when added to drinks. Is there some minor prep I can do to turn this into a good grenadine?

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Here is my fave grenadine recipe

2 litres pomegranate juice
1kg sugar
50 ml pomegranate molasses
2 cinnamon quills
3 cloves
2 star anise

Put the pomegranate juice on a low heat and reduce it to one litre, add spices and sugar and reduce down to 1.4 litres, add molasses strain and bottle

Never really used the molasses in drinks straight up but if the consistency is like warm honey you probably don't need to do much with it apart from maybe cut it with a bit of water but yeah no idea how to balance it as an individual ingredient except that you probably need to supplement it with some kind of sugar

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

Fart Car '97 posted:

I ended up blending in a portion of the blueberries and letting it drain through a chinois, then added a little vinegar to make it a light shrub. The resulting flavor is fantastic, and it looks beautiful to boot.

It's a cocktail-for-two served in a brass pineapple. Because management bought them and says use the pineapples (Which is fine, because people love them).

Oh god, those Absolut Elyx pineapples? I'm still butt hurt over those because now people think my pineapple tattoo is about garbage vodka repped by garbage people.

That sounds tasty though. I have a drink that is a blend of aromatized wines, mezcal and shrub. Right now it's tangerine-champagne, next is blackberry balsamic. Previously a pluot shrub and prior to that a blueberry. Stir, Nick & Nora, garnish with 3 cornflower petals.

Pom molasses is great with lots of things. Ward 8 is a great classic that uses it. I've done it in a sour with Ras al hanout honey and another time with cacao nib scotch... Once with a coconut oil washed rum too.

That recipe sounds tasty but not at all what I think of when I think of "grenadine." Mine is fresh pressed Pom juice from a Central Valley farmer, sugar and rose water. It's delectable.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

silvergoose posted:

How long after dayquil is it safe to drink again? :v:

Drink during, post a trip report.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Oh god, those Absolut Elyx pineapples? I'm still butt hurt over those because now people think my pineapple tattoo is about garbage vodka repped by garbage people.

You know :gonk:

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
Hey guys, could you recommend me a drink to make with the nice old school curacao I have (Pierre Ferrand Old Method Curacao)

I have gin, rhum (all dark), vodka and whisky on hand

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jan 9, 2016

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Sorry if I sounded kinda snappy, I was frustrated with my roommate when I responded, didn't mean to sound harsh.
Not at all, I just wasn't paying attention to usernames and had a :doh: moment.

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

My wife has a tattoo of a skull and you don't see her crying about Crystal Head! And I have a tattoo of an eye and...uh, I hear Jura's very good, so I have nothing to complain about.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
So what do the Roman numerals on my arm say about my drinking?

Real chat, hot toddy to make your recovery from a cold. Tea, lemon juice, and should I be using bourbon, rye, rum or brandy?

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

KingColliwog posted:

Hey guys, could you recommend me a drink to make with the nice old school curacao I have (Pierre Ferrand Old Method Curacao)

I have gin, rhum (all dark), vodka and whisky on hand

I like the White Lady cocktail and you could probably sub whiskey for brandy in a Between the Sheets. I don't remember the White Lady exactly, something like 1.5 oz gin, 3/4 lemon, 3/4 grand Marnier (Curacao will be a little different but probably taste pretty similar), 1/2 simple, egg white. Shake, strain and dry shake, fine strain. Between the Sheets is 1 oz each gold rum, Curacao, brandy (sub whiskey), 3/4 lemon, 1/2 simple, shake, strain, lemon twist.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

bunnyofdoom posted:

So what do the Roman numerals on my arm say about my drinking?

Real chat, hot toddy to make your recovery from a cold. Tea, lemon juice, and should I be using bourbon, rye, rum or brandy?

Yes.

Real answer, depends on the tea. I'd lean towards rum or brandy, and I'd add some ango bitters and honey. Edit: Peaty not "pratt" scotch is good in a toddy too.

The Maestro fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Jan 9, 2016

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Well rum it is. Turns out I used the last of the brandy for sidecar last year. Also don't have honey.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Real life though, if you want to beat a sickness just avoid alcohol altogether, and if you want to make a hot toddy, just use raw sugar, high quality pot-stilled spirits, boiling water, and a scrape of nutmeg. Hot lemon juice is extremely unpleasant, and the tea usually ends up bringing out the bitterness in the spirits. I don't know where the tea/lemon/honey recipe originated, because the spirits/sugar/water/nutmeg recipe is older and better in every way.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

The good news is that it's academic now because I am doing much better. So much I need help naming this cocktail.

3 parts Bombay sapphire east
1 part lemon juice
1 part soho
1 part maraschino
(Yes another aviation varient)

Have thought of flying tiger and gold monkey.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Just made a hot toddy, accidentally put in lemon, but I'm using Smith & Cross for the first time and holy poo poo as soon as I put in the hot water, so many delicious smells wafted up from my mug.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Ah hot lemon isn't as bad as everybody says, you just have to be light with it and not use it in already bitter or tannic things. I like hot water, lemon, honey, and ango bitters if I'm feeling a little hoarse.

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.
My friend is building a cocktail bar at his new place, so I'd like to get him a bottle of liqueur as a housewarming gift. Pretty sure he has all the basic hardware. I'm looking to spend around $60 for something nice, classy, and versatile for the price. Preferably something interesting that he might not think to buy on his own. Since I stick to 40s when chilling with friends and shots of Everclear when reading about politics, I'm in over my head here and could use some recommendations. I'm in a big city so I should have access to whatever.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

You can't go wrong with green Chartreuse. It's about $60, is used in a number of classic drinks, and will probably not be on the top of his list for a while. Also it's loving rad.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Also campari is fun and delicious

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

bunnyofdoom posted:

Also campari is fun and delicious

Better yet, Fernet.

I'd go with the Chartreuse.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Campari because then he can make Campartys

slut chan
Nov 30, 2006
As someone also building a bar I can echo Chartreuse, because I sure as hell wish someone would buy me a bottle.

Also echoing Campari, as it changed my life.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

DontAskKant posted:

Never had hot buttered rum before. Followed the serious eats version here. http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/01/time-for-a-drink-hot-buttered-rum-recipe.html
Wasn't particularly buttery or rummy, but I did hit it with an immersion blender like you do with bulletproof coffee. Used Anchor butter and Brugal Anejo, and the recipe calls for unsalted butter but a little salt might be good. Not sure if it's supposed to be creamy or a bit oily.

I've been advised by some serious foodies that this is one of the best uses for cannabutter.

Kenning posted:

The French 75 is the cruelest cocktail.

breeding
Elderflowers out of the dead glass, mixing
Memory and amnesia, stirring
Dull liquids with springing bubbles.

Every time I order a French 75 in a new place, I ask the bartender if they know where the name comes from, and none ever have that I've asked so far. They generally seem to find it interesting, or are at least humoring me. Supposedly it's named after this, and I feel nerdy that I knew about the namesake before I knew about the cocktail:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_de_75_mod%E8le_1897

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

The Hebug posted:

I'd go with the Chartreuse.

Yep

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Kenning posted:

You can't go wrong with green Chartreuse. It's about $60, is used in a number of classic drinks, and will probably not be on the top of his list for a while. Also it's loving rad.

Echoing the green chartreuse suggestion.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Yeah that's a great call. One of those things that I probably wouldn't buy for myself but is used in a lot of classic drinks in small amounts (so a bottle would last forever) and I'd be very grateful to receieve. Depending on what's available in your area another bottle worth looking into would be Luxardo Maraschino, basically a good call for the same reasons I mentioned above. Kinda pricey but with tons of applications across different cocktails , generally .25-.5oz per drink, so one bottle will go a long way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.
Thanks for all the replies. I will get the Green Chartreuse and feel like a pretty cool friend.