Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Associating Key with more popular and successful people is a major part of National's branding strategy.
Not just the ABs but they are by far the most common.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Varkk posted:

Not just the ABs but they are by far the most common.

Yeah advertising 101 is associate thing you want to promote with popular thing. National combines it with a pretty fine grained electoral database so they know what things to associate JK with

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
the people of NZ must really love sweaty little perverts then

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

That's why JK is such a successful conservative politician who people like Stephen Harper and Malcolm Turnbull look(ed) up to. Doesn't matter that he's a gross little lizardman, he sells it all very successfully.

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Citation: the existence of Mike Hosking; Paul Henry

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

I hate that this is so loving apt

puchu
Sep 20, 2004

hiya~

Weird how they don't love all the posters in this thread then

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

How sweaty are you?

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

puchu posted:

Weird how they don't love all the posters in this thread then

i can confirm that puchu is very little

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
I am big and tall, sweaty depends on the humidity.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Vagabundo posted:

How sweaty are you?

I'm pretty sweaty because I live in Auckland.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.

cptn_dr posted:

I'm pretty sweaty because I live in Auckland.

Depends on the day and the quality of my deodorant though

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I'm just...

...so hot.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009
Are there many good right wing DJs?

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Not going to lie, wish my hair was that controllable.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Solus posted:

Depends on the day and the quality of my deodorant though

Right now, it's more humid than being locked in a small, warm room with 10 goons.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Bushmaori posted:

Are there any good right wing anythings

Nope.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

WarpedNaba posted:

Not going to lie, wish my hair was that controllable.

Anyone's can be if you straighten it and use enough product.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

fong posted:

I'm just...

...so hot.

You know that bit in The Twits where Roald Dahl says that even traditionally 'ugly' features can look really quite nice if the person behind them is a good person?

I know that this man is numerically handsome, but there is a total, hollow deadness in his eyes that I just cannot unsee. I get vertigo looking at that face, it's like standing on the edge of a vast, dark abyss. John Key masks his hate well, but his son...

gently caress, I'm almost certain he's already killed and eaten someone.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

He does look like a cannibal.

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

Actual Cannibal Maximilian Key

Jacobin
Feb 1, 2013

by exmarx
Hey guys! I am currently like 8 hours drive (thats Nelson->Dunedin FYI) from where this most recent militia standoff with the federal government is happening in Oregon

dw there are guns in the house so Im safe

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Brain In A Jar posted:

Actual Cannibal Maximilian Key

New title pls

puchu
Sep 20, 2004

hiya~

Jacobin posted:

Hey guys! I am currently like 8 hours drive (thats Nelson->Dunedin FYI) from where this most recent militia standoff with the federal government is happening in Oregon

dw there are guns in the house so Im safe

But are there stairs in the house

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

So did anyone get a DSE gift card for Christmas? because whoops!

Fortunately we don't do store gift cards in our family but I still find this infuriating. Can people who do have gift cards take any sort of legal action? or is it in the T&C's that they can just decide to keep your money and not honor the gift card because "gently caress you that's why!"

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Dragonstoned posted:

Can people who do have gift cards take any sort of legal action?

lol do you really even have to ask?

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
I'm consistently misreading it as Nick Smith

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

lol do you really even have to ask?

Yeah yeah deep down I know this will end with the customers out of pocket, while a few guys at the top walk away a bit richer then before.

You just think it would be illegal to issue gift cards you KNOW you aren't going to honor in a couple of weeks time.

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe

Dragonstoned posted:

So did anyone get a DSE gift card for Christmas? because whoops!

Fortunately we don't do store gift cards in our family but I still find this infuriating. Can people who do have gift cards take any sort of legal action? or is it in the T&C's that they can just decide to keep your money and not honor the gift card because "gently caress you that's why!"

Basically when you buy a gift card you become an unsecured creditor - you're lending DSE money at 0% interest with no collateral. So when the company goes tits-up because it can't pay its debts, there's a hierarchy as to who gets paid first - the taxman and the employees are at the top, the company's 'secured' creditors are next (i.e. the banks, some of the suppliers, etc.), and unsecured creditors (including gift cards and so on) come last, and usually get shafted. It's a bit lovely but it does at least mean that the employees get paid basically before anybody else which is better than nothing, I suppose.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.
Just lol at anyone who was buying Dick Smith gift cards for people this christmas. You'd have to be blind and deaf to have missed the fact that they have been turbo-hosed for at least the last few months (in reality, much longer).

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
To be fair DSE was fairly open about it's issues since around November, so you should have known it was a risk. They also shouldn't have sold them, but it wasn't out of the blue.

E:f,b

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Dragonstoned posted:

Yeah yeah deep down I know this will end with the customers out of pocket, while a few guys at the top walk away a bit richer then before.

You just think it would be illegal to issue gift cards you KNOW you aren't going to honor in a couple of weeks time.

Actually as someone said, its basically a legal mechanism to protect employees and others who are owed money, preventing shareholders from stripping a business of assets before people who deserve it are paid out. Unfortunately that hits gift card holders.

However you can't stop issuing gift cards because that signals ahead of time that the business is going into receivership, which then allows shareholders to do the above before the law prevents it.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

https://foragerfunds.com/bristlemouth/dick-smith-is-the-greatest-private-equity-heist-of-all-time/

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Huh, I just grabbed some earphones from the Takapuna DSE after the blood drive, that explains the bereft stock.

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011
This was where it was obviously heading years ago when Anchorage bought it and started changing stuff. I'm just glad I sold the shares I got given for being a long time employee when the price was ~$2 as opposed to $0.35.

door.jar
Mar 17, 2010

Nude Bog Lurker posted:

Basically when you buy a gift card you become an unsecured creditor - you're lending DSE money at 0% interest with no collateral. So when the company goes tits-up because it can't pay its debts, there's a hierarchy as to who gets paid first - the taxman and the employees are at the top, the company's 'secured' creditors are next (i.e. the banks, some of the suppliers, etc.), and unsecured creditors (including gift cards and so on) come last, and usually get shafted. It's a bit lovely but it does at least mean that the employees get paid basically before anybody else which is better than nothing, I suppose.

I thought employees (at least things like owed leave etc. perhaps not actual backpay) were further down than banks.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

door.jar posted:

I thought employees (at least things like owed leave etc. perhaps not actual backpay) were further down than banks.

Yeah this stops management from grabbing massive golden parachutes. But your paycheck is safe.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.

door.jar posted:

Nope, after the IRD the employees come first. Owed Leave is owed money/pay.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
Here is the ranking that's in legislation, that liquidators and receivers are legally obligated to follow:

So it's:
  • If someone with a mortgage forces you to sell your building, you have to sell it and give them the money. ("Secured creditors")
  • Pay the liquidators'/receivers' fees
  • Pay outstanding wages due in the last 4 months, plus various other employment payments
  • Pay across PAYE and Kiwisaver contributions to the revenue
  • Particular types of tax (basically tax that you've collected on someone else's behalf) (the last three are "Preferential creditors")
  • Everyone else (unsecured and non-preferential creditors) goes into a pot (including unpaid suppliers and people with gift cards) and gets some number of cents (usually 0) on each dollar they're owed by the company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jacobin
Feb 1, 2013

by exmarx
When I was like 15 I remember my Dad taking me aside at an electronic store checkout and spending a good 10 minutes explaining why gift cards were a bad idea and why businesses love gift cards.

Aged a few years and still don't buy gift cards but there is still this weird stigma about giving cash as a gift- mainly because of lack of perceived thought into the gift or that people could use the money on frivolous crap if its a gift to teens etc. eh

• Locked thread