Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Mendrian posted:

Several generous and not so generous interpretations:

"Faithful until it's over."

"Faithful until we give up."

"Faithful until we retire."

"Faithful until there's no one left."

"Faithful until the fall."

None of these have the kind of 'forever and always' connotations that I think they wanted.

Faithful until your wallet is empty?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

stinch posted:

On the other hand you have to remember the idea a bunch of individuals would give a private company over 100 million is absurd

yep

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

G0RF posted:

Star Citizen: Morally wrong, yet no laws were broken.

If getting nerds to fund a movie career and a poo poo tier vr stimulator that makes them wretch on theme selves is wrong I don't want to be right

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Laserpig posted:

The thing that pisses me off the most about Star Citizen is not the fact thait might be a scam, may never exists and it may be impossible to create.

What pisses me off most are the cringey pussified carebears begging for a PvE game, "please don't put the best loot in lawless areas", "please don't make me do PvP", "please don't allow griefers to exist", "I don't want to have to use my brain to defend myself", "I don't want lose my ship". I loving hate these little cock suckers, a new MMORPG gets announced and they flood into the community from WoW, GW2, SWTOR and highsec... Demanding that the game be REdesigned in favour of their own pussified playstyle due to their false sense of entitlement to not be repeatedly smashed to loving pieces in-game.

This is what ruined Wurm Online for me. It's a game where literally 100% of the game is player-made, as in, even when the servers start the starting towns are basically just deed tokens. There's all sorts of complicated systems for PVP and building defenses and whatnot, basically the wet dream for anyone who fantasizes about a player-made, player-ran medieval warfare/lifestyle sim all in a no-poo poo persistent world that can hold hundreds of players.

What happened? Well, there's about a dozen servers where PVP is not only not allowed but impossible, and the PVP server barely scratches >50 players at any given time. What could have been an amazing player-driven game where thousands live on one giant island in some sort of Lord of the Rings type world ended up being a thousand or so players fractured between a dozen servers and only the most insufferable of poopsockers band together in tiny rear end little groups to do PVP of no consequence.

For a long time a sizable chunk of PVP players had the idea to make the game just be one giant island with a "safe zone" no-pvp-allowed region so as to keep the players (and therefor the trade, resources, money, etc) all in one economy where major battles and whatnot had consequence. This was of course shot down by the hordes of players who demanded they be left to build their pointless dollhouses in peace. What a waste of potential. Players will grind for literal years to get 100 skill in certain crafts... to no end. There's no PVP to make your 100ql swords and armor of any use, there's no battles where your massive impenetrable fortresses can be defended, you're wasting your real life away for not even a little bit of fake excitement.

Justin Tyme fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jan 2, 2016

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

EightAce posted:

The dev staff lower down the food chain will have been offered bonus incentives, based on yearly take home pay. Money running out ? Sandi need a holiday ? Backers requesting refunds ? Need to tighten the belt ? .... Well gently caress em. The necessary dollars can come from their promised yearly bonus and what are they going to do ? Return to their previous employer ? Dare to bad mouth industry legend Chris Roberts.....

So Sandi DOES take holidays then? Because she's on the record claiming she's never taken a holiday- though she has many of them lined up. Exotic sailing trips, racing excursions with the former head mechanic of Ferrari, and other sorts of adventures worthy of her.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Agrajag posted:

true believers weird me out. his postings are almost a carbon copy of Octopode's in the way that they both so desperately try to tell everyone their RL qualifications.

come back to us octopode

unless he's already in the 'verse :suicide:

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Will 2016 be the year where the Cops and Crobbers module is released?

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Rad Russian posted:

"NOT A SCAM! HE'S JUST INCOMPETENT!" does not explain spending $200,000 of backer money on designer furniture or prime beach front studio locations. If he was truly scrambling to create his dream he wouldn't be swindling backers on stupid excess that has nothing to do with the game.

Anyway, it could be both. Croberts is an incompetent autist that should not be entrusted with anything over a $50,000 budget, and Sandi is a scamming gold digger using him for 15 minutes of nerd fame and money.

Like the credit crunch shenanigans, eventually the line between scam or incompetence becomes irrelevant.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

stinch posted:

It doesn't look like CIG do any planning for failure so if it all goes wrong it might expose dodgy financial dealings that land some in trouble. On the other hand you have to remember the idea a bunch of individuals would give a private company over 100 million is absurd, so the law might not work. Could be it all ends up in a way most would say is morally wrong let no laws were broken.

This is probably the most likely outcome. Although TBH, I dunno. The way I've seen CIG completely screw up the refunding process, while it was still going (refunding some folks too much money and others too little), I am almost certain they don't have an internal accountant that runs any kinds of books reliably or well enough.

And if that is true, then when it all blows up it might very well turn out that they screwed up on a technicality that's a pretty big deal in the eyes of the law. Maybe not one they intentionally screwed up for out of malice, and moreso out of incompetence, but...ignorance of the law and all that jazz doesn't save you.

Berious posted:

Like the credit crunch shenanigans, eventually the line between scam or incompetence becomes irrelevant.

...or in other words, pretty much this.

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jan 2, 2016

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

EightAce posted:

To clarify:
In order for Croberts to attract certain key people he had to provide incentive:

Make those people minority shareholders in whatever faction of CIG they are involved with:

A few months in then they can 'Sell' this holding back to CIG:

Nice clean windfall of cash for the risk they took in jumping ship to work on SC.

The dev staff lower down the food chain will have been offered bonus incentives, based on yearly take home pay. Money running out ? Sandi need a holiday ? Backers requesting refunds ? Need to tighten the belt ? .... Well gently caress em. The necessary dollars can come from their promised yearly bonus and what are they going to do ? Return to their previous employer ? Dare to bad mouth industry legend Chris Roberts.....

This is one of the ways you launder money, right?

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
I wouldn't get too focused on the refund refusals and what it means for their cash flow.

They always refused refunds as a first response, you just had to push past that with a forceful email, then FPS was "indefinitely delayed", they missed all targets for the first 3/4 of 2015 and Derek Smart got involved, so it got a lot easier. This is just returning to that system with a much more forceful boiler plate response, it's just an email and they can say whatever they like in those.

What we haven't seen so far is someone push past that, which would now involve a believable threat of small claims action delivered via a registered letter. That's going to happen sometime in response to their new cut/paste refusal considering the sums involved, but we'll need a backer to go public with the threat and response to see what CIG do then.

October/November/December are all millions above an estimated $3 million a month burn rate, if the Austin office is closing/moving to a cheaper location then they are likely lowering their burn rate anyway. High profile names are leaving/left and there are some signs they are recruiting first time developers or promoting from within, which would also save some money.

I think they are hosed for fixing the "game" but money has to be less of a concern in the short term than it was 3 months ago. Once something called SQ42 gets pushed out the door I expect Chris Roberts to lose all interest in the game if the reviews are bad.

AP fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jan 2, 2016

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

xanif posted:

non-consensual pvp is literally worse than rape

(This argument has been made on the forums)

Of course it is, shitizens don't actually like pvp

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Even ignoring the money laffs this game provides, there's always the actual software part of it.

Like, just imagine being a software developer and getting 2.0 dumped on your lap, being told that you need to reengineer this stupid cryengine mod to be able to support 100 players and seamless planetary transitions and all the other stupid little stretch goals and by the way we kinda need it to be done by the year's end.

It's like doing a kickstarter to build a budget racecar that enthusiasts can tinker on, but getting way over your requested funds. You originally were going with Tata motors because they were the only ones available for such a project, and well now you're in too deep to switch except now your backers demand a car that can beat a Koenigsegg.

Justin Tyme fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jan 2, 2016

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

I tattooed a nice guy the other day from Reddit who enjoyed Star Citizen The Game...he said everything looked great and the newest releases have made a big difference. :shobon:

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

I'm thinking of making a smiths tribute band, except I sing it all in latin and then stop every 3 minutes to tell everyone how clever I am and "You may not know but an interesting fact about latin..."

I still cannot speak Latin
I am very lazy

Extra points if you do some songs bossa nova style

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

i am harry posted:

I tattooed a nice guy the other day from Reddit who enjoyed Star Citizen The Game...he said everything looked great and the newest releases have made a big difference. :shobon:

Did you tattoo a cock on his forehead?

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

peter gabriel posted:

Well, refund request sent, gently caress this noise.

Hey Peter, did anything come of your totally reasonably worded refund request?

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

neonbregna posted:

How much were you invested for originally. Me I am at 1k plus so far
$0 because I hate space games

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Lowtax posted:

Has there ever been a good space game

I say no

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

i am harry posted:

you should have charged him per letter, and only tattoo 10% of what he asked for. Then promise you'll do the rest over the next few years.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Eonwe posted:

I say no
I play Radiant on my phone a lot.

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry

Lowtax posted:

Oh yeah then explain this

It is an NPC

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Hangar module is literally just a garage for spaceships. How is that a space game? Even Space Trader: Merchant Marine had way more depth than that! It still does! Hey shitizens, you wanna play a real game? Space Trader: Merchant Marine.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Lowtax posted:

I play Radiant on my phone a lot.

I'll look into it

I'm more into rocket league and helldivers lately

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry

Ravane posted:

Hangar module is literally just a garage for spaceships. How is that a space game?

It's a game in the same way Frozen Anna Give Birth a Baby is a game I guess. Thanks SGF :(

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
So when this thing is a smoldering crater, who's gonna be the developer that takes over and makes this a korea mmorp in space?

Because it's gonna happen.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

you know, I just realized something- if money you pay to this game count as donations and not sales (which is straight from their mouth, and we all know it's horseshit) does that mean that money is tax-deductible on the donator's end?

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Eonwe posted:

I say no

Star Raiders and Asteroids on Atari were fun.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Beet wagon got me helldivers which is really good

Oh
I play bad MMOs too

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Eonwe posted:

I'll look into it

I really wanted to like Helldivers, but it just seems so repetitive and shallow to me.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Eonwe posted:

I'll look into it

Rocket League is incredible. Best sci-fi game I've played this year.

IrvingWashington posted:

It's a game in the same way Frozen Anna Give Birth a Baby is a game I guess. Thanks SGF :(

Hmm. So this is a game.

Your analogy is on point.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Eonwe posted:

I say no

2DCAT posted:

Star Raiders and Asteroids on Atari were fun.

And Star Control 2: Ur-Quan Masters. Best effing space game ever.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

IrvingWashington posted:

I still cannot speak Latin
I am very lazy

Extra points if you do some songs bossa nova style

The last night on exorbitant street, goodbye pubes goodbye hairs, I was logged here and I was hazed here, and I bought some poo poo here.....

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Lime Tonics posted:

So when this thing is a smoldering crater, who's gonna be the developer that takes over and makes this a korea mmorp in space?

Because it's gonna happen.

Derek Smart

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Lowtax posted:

I really wanted to like Helldivers, but it just seems so repetitive and shallow to me.

its starship troopers magicka so I love it for that reason

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Eonwe posted:

its starship troopers magicka so I love it for that reason
Yeah I like both of those things but I wish I could enjoy the game as much.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

I just loving love the idea of all these idiots scoffing at the idea of Elite Dangerous so they can talk on a forum instead. It's got like 50% of what they want already!

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Hymnos is such a loving cool language because the producer of the series was probably both a huge spoken and computer language fan that he decided to mix both into one. And it took like 4+ years to get to the point where they could use hymnos for most of the song instead of japanese with a few chorus in hymnos. The differrences between the first game and EXEC_FLIP_ARPHAGE is massive.

We haven't even seen a shred of the conlags for SC yet and I seriously doubt they've hired anyone to get started.

Oh absolutely! Even the most basic conlangs take a shitload of work to get even the most basic grammar and syntax worked out. It's always amazing to see how much has been added/changed over time when a conlang sticks around.

Given what we know of CIG, I'm guessing the alien languages will be substitution ciphers of pre existing languages (think Futurama's Alienese or Final Fantasy X's Al Bhed). There's no way we're gonna see one conlang in their final product (though I'd love to be wrong).

Of course, if CIG's abuse of Latin is anything to go by, I'm guessing that they'd gently caress up a cipher of English and provide us with complete jibberish. Worst case, they just put together any old nonsense. The community have proven they'll eat any poo poo they're given.

"Citizenese is an alien language. Of course it doesn't have any sort of grammar/vocabulary/syntax. That's what makes it alien! You clearly know nothing about game development language :smuggo:."

That looks amazing. I'll have to try and get a hold of that at some point.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Lowtax posted:

Yeah I like both of those things but I wish I could enjoy the game as much.

well i think i have you on friends on steam hit me up if you ever want to play when you get moved

its a lot more fun with people you know

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

The last night on exorbitant street, goodbye pubes goodbye hairs, I was logged here and I was hazed here, and I bought some poo poo here.....

Lesnick without clothes? Well a whole 'verse turns it's back and gags

• Locked thread