Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous
Having rich and successful parents helps too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It's arguably necessary in all but .001% of cases too. Doesn't matter if you're a genius, if you're stuck living in backwoods where most of your energy is spent hustling to make ends meet then odds are good you'll miss the opportunities to develop that talent to the point where you transcend the economic class you were born into. Hell doesn't even matter if you are a genius and realize it, if you aren't good at networking--which frequently requires being able to speak/live the language of the upper classes--then odds are good you aren't going anywhere.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE
This comic sums it up nicely

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

No? The kid in Chicago was holding a real knife, but was clearly walking away from the cops when the officer shot him 3 times, then 13 more times after he fell to the ground. It's two completely different incidents besides both being unjustified police shootings of black minors.

...are you serious?

Dude just empited his gun on a body on the floor?

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Mans posted:

...are you serious?

Dude just empited his gun on a body on the floor?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/laquan-mcdonald-video_5654e329e4b079b281897fc2

Yes, there's a video if you want to see for yourself. Don't act so surprised, we're long past the point where anybody should be expecting better from the cops in America.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

If they made officers write a detailed report for every single bullet they discharged than shooting would go way down because who wants to do a bunch of paperwork?

An alternative solution would be to simply shoot every single person on earth dead. That way there would be no more people left to shoot so all shooting deaths would drop to zero pretty soon.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

FreudianSlippers posted:

If they made officers write a detailed report for every single bullet they discharged than shooting would go way down because who wants to do a bunch of paperwork?

An alternative solution would be to simply shoot every single person on earth dead. That way there would be no more people left to shoot so all shooting deaths would drop to zero pretty soon.

Police departments straight up demand that they have to do less paperwork, claiming that they spend too much time filling out reports than going out and catching criminals. Obviously this also will enable them to hide stuff. Also demanding Police to be held to any standard is considering anti-cop by most of the Media, it's been happening.

hyperhazard posted:

Having rich and successful parents helps too.

I was considering that part of luck. And Natural Talents would include not just being smart or creative, but knowing how to make the most of of those. I'd also include having the right idea at the right time.

But there is nothing like seeing someone who was born into privilege sit back and say "let me tell you something about all your lazy moochers out there!"

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

twistedmentat posted:

I was considering that part of luck. And Natural Talents would include not just being smart or creative, but knowing how to make the most of of those. I'd also include having the right idea at the right time.

But there is nothing like seeing someone who was born into privilege sit back and say "let me tell you something about all your lazy moochers out there!"

Warren Buffet actually kind of hit on that a few times. At least I think it was him. It's part of why he makes a point of being really generous; he acknowledged that it was a stroke of stupid, blind luck that he was born with a few particular talents that just happened to be in high demand and profitable during the time frame he lived in. Then it was also stupid, blind luck that he was born into a situation he could actually make use of those talents.

Andrew Carnegie even said the same thing; he was a talented businessman sure but his big start was a stroke of stupid luck. It could have been anybody that got the chance he had.

Of course the biggest talent is recognizing opportunity and taking it which not everybody has. Granted getting the opportunity in the first place is a stretch and it's stupid to say "hey all these people who got no opportunities? They're lovely, lazy people; gently caress 'em." It's nothing but an excuse to actively prevent them from being able to have access to opportunities as well as preventing them from being able to seize them.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

That tangentially reminds me of how people say that Bill Gates dropped out of college cause its computer courses weren't good enough for him. Yeah, it's true, but it leaves out the fact that he both had the means to get into Harvard, AND the means to safely make that call. He knew he was smart enough to do it, he had good ideas at good times, but he also was financially well-off enough to have that extra leg up.

Good on him for giving back though, and being aware of all that, he's just a good example of how success is a lot more than just being smart or creative.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!

SHARE if you AGREE

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

That's a pretty sweet gig, actually.

Gross Dude
Feb 5, 2007

Gross Dude

goose fleet posted:

SHARE if you AGREE

Signs up for Obamacare so they don't have to pay for insurance. Wait, what, people really think Obamacare is fully socialized medicine?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
It's a good enough setup that about half of that list are things that members of the current ruling Australian political party have actually done.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
This reminds me of a article i read about people in debt and how they got out of debt. It was about a couple who's combined income was around $175k Canadian a year, she was a dentist and he killed people will bullshit cures (Homeopath) . They were around 300k in debt because they not only owned an home in an upscale Vancouver neighbourhood but also owned a condo in Fort Meyers Florida that they lived in from Jan to March, shutting their businesses down.

Somehow this was an cautionary tale, becuase everyone who's in debt just did dumb things like buy a half million dollar condo when they were still paying off a 2 million dollar house, and removed 3 months worth of income from their budget just so they wouldn't be cold. There was also a story about a guy in Calgary who had an mini rink build into the basement of his mcManson and refused to not use it all year around, causing his power bills to be astronomical. People always act like this is what all the people who are in debt are from. It's not they're in debt from just trying to live, or schooling or anything that's just life. Nope its because they spend their money on expensive luxuries.

I mean, there are people who do, but you know they are far from the representation of the majority of people in debt. It's always their fault, not someone elses! You don't want to be poor? Go get a better job! Don't have the skills to get a better job? Go back to school! and it becomes an endless cycle of blaming people.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Won't somebody please think of poor miss Poly Styrene?
It sounds like a joke, but it's an actual person.

Lie to the government about being single, where you live, how many children you have, and being disabled: It's perfectly legal!

Dear Prudence
Sep 3, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

This reminds me of a article i read about people in debt and how they got out of debt. It was about a couple who's combined income was around $175k Canadian a year, she was a dentist and he killed people will bullshit cures (Homeopath) . They were around 300k in debt because they not only owned an home in an upscale Vancouver neighbourhood but also owned a condo in Fort Meyers Florida that they lived in from Jan to March, shutting their businesses down.

Somehow this was an cautionary tale, becuase everyone who's in debt just did dumb things like buy a half million dollar condo when they were still paying off a 2 million dollar house, and removed 3 months worth of income from their budget just so they wouldn't be cold. There was also a story about a guy in Calgary who had an mini rink build into the basement of his mcManson and refused to not use it all year around, causing his power bills to be astronomical. People always act like this is what all the people who are in debt are from. It's not they're in debt from just trying to live, or schooling or anything that's just life. Nope its because they spend their money on expensive luxuries.

I mean, there are people who do, but you know they are far from the representation of the majority of people in debt. It's always their fault, not someone elses! You don't want to be poor? Go get a better job! Don't have the skills to get a better job? Go back to school! and it becomes an endless cycle of blaming people.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

Geez, you'd think with all those candles his utility bill must be lower. :v:

Clochette
Aug 12, 2013

Aunt just posted these two whoppers back to back

Why is the pig wearing a wedding veil?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I don't think people get the Islamic ban on pork. It's the exact same thing as kosher. You aren't supposed to eat it unless you're starving but eating it isn't some grievous mega-sin that excommunicates you or something like that. Muslims are also supposed to avoid eating donkey, whale, shellfish, wolf, scorpions, monkeys, turtles, elephants, bats, dogs, bears, and a bunch of other animals but you never see any memes about shooting Muslims with bear blood infused bullets.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Clochette posted:

Luckily ''makes sense'' isn't important to racism or ignorance.

FreudianSlippers posted:

you never see any memes about shooting Muslims with bear blood infused bullets.

I'm almost positive I've seen some dumb meme about shooting muslims with pig's blood infused bullets somewhere

DJ Fuckboy Supreme has a new favorite as of 05:43 on Jan 3, 2016

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

twistedmentat posted:

I read something via a Pinterest thing I saw that was similar re: getting out of debt, but it was a military family that used a $20,000 relocation payment to buy a trailer outright, then paid off $10,000 of credit card debt from a lawsuit settlement. So they were able to pay off their debt in something like three months and live virtually rent free and save like $2,000 a month with only one parent working in a family of four. And the entire thing was like, "If I can do it, you can too!" Yeah ok. When I get a $30,000 windfall in less than three months, live in a shithole that allows me to buy a trailer for $20,000, I will follow exactly this advice.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Gross Dude posted:

Signs up for Obamacare so they don't have to pay for insurance. Wait, what, people really think Obamacare is fully socialized medicine?

Yes. Unless you force them to sit down and think about it, people think there is a government plan called "Obamacare" that minorities and Democrats have. And even if you do convince them to admit how stupid that is, they will go right back to believing it a few hours later.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Clochette posted:

That's actually Ted Nugent's wife.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:

Cleretic posted:

It's a good enough setup that about half of that list are things that members of the current ruling Australian political party have actually done.

Incidentally, almost all memes shared by Australian right-wingers are repurposed American ones, and still contain giveaway phrases like "1st amendment", "home of the free", "social security", etc.

This is a meme that a weird racist Australian politician shared:

And a GIS immediately brings up this:

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!

My favorite part about this and memes like it is that the last time we were invaded and had to fight a defensive war was 1812

SkinCrawling
Oct 9, 2012

2016 is off with a great start!

:freep:

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Mans posted:

That's actually Ted Nugent's wife.

Nah, too old.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

SkinCrawling posted:

2016 is off with a great start!

:freep:

To be fair, you people don't speak English. You speak some inbred cousin of English where you drop all of your U's and say Loo-tenant.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Vladimir Poutine posted:

Incidentally, almost all memes shared by Australian right-wingers are repurposed American ones, and still contain giveaway phrases like "1st amendment", "home of the free", "social security", etc.

This is a meme that a weird racist Australian politician shared:

And a GIS immediately brings up this:

The beautiful thing is that the people who utter this crap never think "well I don't love Australia the way it is so maybe I should be the one who leaves"

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

This showed up on a friend's wall today, someone posted this and thought "Yeah, that looks about right". No, it was not posted ironically.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

twistedmentat posted:

Been a while since we drug this out, I think it's about that time.

The pouty faces just made the original that much more insufferable.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Serperoth posted:

Good on him for giving back though, and being aware of all that, he's just a good example of how success is a lot more than just being smart or creative.
You know those science fair projects where a kid makes batches of cookies or cakes or something, but with each one leaves out one ingredient? Like, without flour, without sugar, without eggs, etc. That's what success is. It's not the natural outcome of hard work. Hard work is just one of the ingredients, of which there are many- talent, resources, connections, background, being in the right place at the right time.

Wilford Cutlery posted:

The kid was in Cleveland. Protests in Chicago were about a different kid.
Wherever it was, it happened in an open carry state. Somebody please think of a good response to this fact so I can stop being depressed.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Clochette posted:

Aunt just posted these two whoppers back to back

Ironical

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

TheKennedys posted:

I will always love this. It's up there with "poor people have fridges!" in the gallery of what rich right wing people think life is like.

Eponine posted:

I read something via a Pinterest thing I saw that was similar re: getting out of debt, but it was a military family that used a $20,000 relocation payment to buy a trailer outright, then paid off $10,000 of credit card debt from a lawsuit settlement. So they were able to pay off their debt in something like three months and live virtually rent free and save like $2,000 a month with only one parent working in a family of four. And the entire thing was like, "If I can do it, you can too!" Yeah ok. When I get a $30,000 windfall in less than three months, live in a shithole that allows me to buy a trailer for $20,000, I will follow exactly this advice.

Oh that's fantastic. Yea, nothing like showing someone who essentally won the lottery as an example of sound fiscal planning.

I always wondered that that family was using the candles for. I could only think Satanic Cult, but you'd think they could ask the demons for a loan for something.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Tiggum posted:

Lie to the government about being single, where you live, how many children you have, and being disabled: It's perfectly legal!

Some states don't let you get ssi disability and foodstamps. Not to mention I've never ever heard of anyone getting more then 900 for disability. Then with the section 8 good luck having your poo poo shack be up to snuff for them to pay. Every rental owner cant take sec 8 because of the quality of their poo poo shack being below the standards of the state. Everyone gets socialized healthcare now and pell grants are fafsa and they don't generally pay enough for even a subpar school but don't let me stop you from heeping more straw onto the pile

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

cash crab posted:

Even if you only have one ear, you can make money on the internet, you idiot, you utter buffoon

bootstraps.jpg :smug::patriot:

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

TheKennedys posted:

I'm sorry to be That Guy but I do not get this one.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

ToxicSlurpee posted:

It's amusing because the right has been screeching about forcing people to go back to work for decades but actively supports policies that ruin the job market. A rather large number of people are no longer fooled by them. If they didn't become so vehemently opposed to any government spending at all I could see them maybe saying that but nope.

Like if their message shifted to "OK we're going to roll back assistance programs and replace them with stuff like job programs" I'd not have much of an issue. You know, like...OK you want some welfare? Hey go work on these infrastructure projects for a while. We'll pay you for the year, give you a home, and feed whatever family you have. But giving anything at all to those people is viewed as a handout and anything over the poverty line is considered "too good." Granted they also consider "the poverty line" to be "has a refrigerator with more than a slice of bread in it."

Some states already have this. If you're on foodstamps you have to look for work and they help you find a job. Then when you inevitably get hired by some place like walmart or winco they get a huge rear end tax break they do not need for hiring you. California even counts an unpaid job like volunteering at a foodbank as work in this situation.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

paradoxGentleman posted:

I'm sorry to be That Guy but I do not get this one.

It's a parody of an infographic by some newspaper (I want to say the Washington Post) that was trying to say how much Obamacare was going to hurt average Americans. Those incomes were the ones they actually used as examples.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas

goose fleet posted:

SHARE if you AGREE

Welfare fraud is perfectly legal? Who knew?

EvilGenius has a new favorite as of 09:54 on Jan 3, 2016