Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Gareth Gobulcoque posted:

I believe part of your problem is you preshaded in black then applied yellow. So, now your yellow is green or has a green undertone to it, which combined with brown looks kinda like bile. Preshade with brown if you want.

Good accent colors: desaturated blues, saturated light blues, light creams.

Thanks. Is it going to matter how dark the brown is? Should I even bother to pre-shade? Most of, but not all, of the other vehicles I am painting are smaller than these three drop ships so it might be wasted effort. Thanks on the other color suggestions as well. I figured the creams would be good but didn't think about blues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_ether
May 31, 2013

Ilor posted:

How do they make such fancy lanterns with only stone tools?

They wake up with them when the story begins.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
I got some more poo poo done today!

Cleaned up, added a shitload of rivets, and primed! Looking forwards to getting this great big old bastard painted. Far too proud of how the plow looks, now!

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
That is...pretty cool. Pretty, pretty, cool.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
That plow is straight-up bad-rear end!

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Easily the best plow I've ever seen.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Are there goon approved pinks? I checked out the op for the recommended paint list and didn't see anything to that effect. We've decided on a pink/cyan scheme for an Everblight army and my old tentacle pink pot won't last.

Also, any metallic tutorials? Using P3 silver with some blue washes is still coming up pretty flat. :/

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Are there goon approved pinks? I checked out the op for the recommended paint list and didn't see anything to that effect. We've decided on a pink/cyan scheme for an Everblight army and my old tentacle pink pot won't last.

Also, any metallic tutorials? Using P3 silver with some blue washes is still coming up pretty flat. :/

have you tried using metallic medium?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Try using VMA metallics, at least for silvery metals. In my experience they're much less flat.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Hubis posted:

have you tried using metallic medium?

I haven't. I am putting together a little order list to get back into painting though. Sounds good.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Have you tried P3 Carnal Pink?

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
If anyone has a pink color they'd like to recommend as being a cut above the rest, I'll happily add it to the list.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

VoodooXT posted:

Have you tried P3 Carnal Pink?

I can give it a shot. The only pink I've tried to work with is an old pot of tentacle pink.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

I can give it a shot. The only pink I've tried to work with is an old pot of tentacle pink.

The other option would be buying a pot of Coat d'arms Shocking Pink since it's the same old tentacle pink.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Thanks, appreciate the suggestions.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Avenging Dentist posted:

If anyone has a pink color they'd like to recommend as being a cut above the rest, I'll happily add it to the list.

I'm a fan of Reaper's Porcelain Rose.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Pierzak posted:

I'm a fan of Reaper's Porcelain Rose.

Unfortunately, that color is out of print, so I can't add it to the list. :(

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Avenging Dentist posted:

Unfortunately, that color is out of print, so I can't add it to the list. :(
Aaaand another thing I use ceased to be because it was good. :(

RMS Old West Rose fits the same purposes.

VVV: You asked for great pinks, Tentacle is not among them, too specific.

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Jan 3, 2016

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Pierzak posted:

RMS Old West Rose fits the same purposes.

That's on the list, but probably not a great match for Tentacle Pink.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Any good recommendations for flame bits besides the Wyrd Flame Accessories pack?

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.
I finished off the base of the Ghostkeel this afternoon. I added some pigments and tidied up the rim and added some varnishes.

I quite like it now, it matches the ruined gothic factory sector vibe I had in my head when I started.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
This guy's almost done. Thinking of redoing the white cloth though, not happy with how it turned out.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Why aren't you happy with the white? That whole model looks really nice.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

crime fighting hog posted:

This guy's almost done. Thinking of redoing the white cloth though, not happy with how it turned out.

I think the issue is where you placed the shadows on the white. The top part, where it goes under the armor, should definitely have a bit of shadow. Some of the other shadows you painted seem to be in the wrong spots, although it's a bit hard to tell in a photograph.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
Pretty much, yes. I usually just wash and highlight for areas like that but tried actually blending with thinned paint. I'll just stick to what works for now.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Painted a Cephalyx Mind Benders unit. They are probably the best thing in Cephalyx as they blow up the world (by having drudges blow up to fuel crazy mind magics). :getin:

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Those things are loving baller and I want to see more pictures of them.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Does anyone know where I can get anime-esque fantasy minis? I had some anima tactics minis but it was discontinued a long time ago and it was hard to find even years ago. I'm looking for a bunch of wizards, archers, and warriors for the game Frostgrave. Anima tactics was kinda like infinity minis but fantasy instead of sci-fi to get a feel of the style. Svelte and stylish. There's pervy minis in there but I'm looking for stuff like Anna Never or Kujaku Hime or Jiang Pao. Thanks for any help.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Anima Tactics the game isn't still in production but the miniatures line is still being made. Multiple online places carry it and any FLGS that's part of the two major game distributor chains should be able to order the minis for you. AT is generally your only choice for non-Chibi stuff in a 28-32mm scale, if you're willing to look at companies in Japan/China you can find stuff in other scales but I have only limited knowledge of them (I bought a cool anime styled Warring Kingdoms mini on TaoBao once?).

El Estrago Bonito fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Jan 4, 2016

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Oh that's good to hear, but what online places have it? I looked at MM, CSI, and CMON. I'd much rather order from my LGS because eBay seems to have done it's dumb ~vintage~ thing with OOP collectibles and is asking from retail-$15/mini after shipping.

And yeah it's odd to see the more numerous SF minis lines done in anime style like relic knights or infinity but hardly any for fantasy. I think some of kingdom death's minis have a similar style but the only good minis done in that style is the flower knight and uhhhhhhh

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
I'm currently painting a Crom the Conqueror. This is where I'm at with the shield so far after basecoat and washing:

I would like to paint the star of chaos in NMM gold, but I'm not sure how to do the gradient, do you think doing it like this

would work out?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
First Forge World Knight I've worked on

Magnetized for transport

Went together pretty well, suprised with how well the Tamiya Clear Green works over metallics. Makes a really nice practice for my upcoming Alpha Legion.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

SRM posted:

Those things are loving baller and I want to see more pictures of them.

Thanks man. That was about the only decent shot of them I got, unfortunately.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

krushgroove posted:

First Forge World Knight I've worked on

Magnetized for transport

Went together pretty well, suprised with how well the Tamiya Clear Green works over metallics. Makes a really nice practice for my upcoming Alpha Legion.

Nice job on the paint, but man-oh-man that thing looks spindly.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
So, we had a hobby night with the friends tonight..

All the basic colors blocked out., followed by a thorough wash of Seraphim Sepia. I used about two thirds of a bottle of the stuff!

Cleaned up and highlighted, with a friend's Imperial Guardsmen for scale. At this point you can consider it done, except..

NOW it is done. Added some decals and weathered the surroundings of the tracks and the plow - mainly with a drybrush of Troll Slayer Orange to represent thick oxide/sand dust, followed by a slight drybrush of Leadbelcher - metal stripped bare of paint by the dust.
honk honk motherfucker

I really like the little gopher Marine sticking out of the turret hatch - I had to pin the hatch bit because it'd snap off at the lightest provocation!
I can't hear you over the sound of the GIANT loving CANNON, heretic

Little freehanded kill markers, along with a bit of ancient Legion graffiti in Broken Latin High Gothic.
Capto! - Catch!

Vindicta - Vengeance
Tu Mater - Your Mother

Pertinax Rex - The Unyielding King
Veni - I Came

Another shot of the front. Really like how the plow came out.
Pertinax Rex Rekt

Chaplain meltdown imminent in three, two, one..
Turpitudinem materterae tuae et fratris tui - Your mother's brother is your father

Side-by-side shot with the Filius Reperiaris, my Sicaran BT.

Lookin' good! Really happy with how it turned out. And yes, it's childish as gently caress but I ended up using Google Translate for millenia-old Latin burns. I picture a couple of them are 'tradition' from the Legion ages, and millenia later, every now and then a couple of Marines sneak into the hangar bays as a 'stealth exercise' to add a zinger or two and hope the Techmarines don't notice...

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
That thing's cool as all hell. The dumb bogus Latin graffiti is as tasteless and grammatically incorrect as my Russian graffiti on my Valhallan vehicles, and by that I mean to say it owns.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

These are awesome.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Latin is an amazing language for profanity. Catullus 16 is the stuff of legend: "I will sodomize you and face-gently caress you, / bottom Aurelius and catamite Furius, / you who think, because my poems / are sensitive, that I have no shame."

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

I don't usually say this to a guy, but I love the look of your plow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

SRM posted:

That thing's cool as all hell. The dumb bogus Latin graffiti is as tasteless and grammatically incorrect as my Russian graffiti on my Valhallan vehicles, and by that I mean to say it owns.

Your russian graffiti is pretty solid, my dude, don't go hatin on yourself. I give you the blessing of our people.