Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

You guys should lobby your lgs or playgroup to do the occasional unsanctioned all proxy legacy or modern events. You can see whether you actually like how a deck plays before dropping bucks on it, or just try a different one every week. Also the try hards stay away.

We've been trying to get our store to allow proxies just for vintage, but so far no luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

You guys should lobby your lgs or playgroup to do the occasional unsanctioned all proxy legacy or modern events. You can see whether you actually like how a deck plays before dropping bucks on it, or just try a different one every week. Also the try hards stay away.

Our store did all proxy legacy for a few months. It went just about like you would think. The people who never played legacy showed up with their flavor of the week (one dude decided the first deck he would ever play in legacy was Doomsday, I spent the first round showing him how to play his deck after destroying him in under 15 minutes) and promptly get destroyed by those of us who played legacy all the time. It faded away when they realized they couldn't win.

Now the reason they couldn't win is there was no monetary reason to pick a deck and really learn to pilot it. They would just go "WELL THAT DECK SUCKS!!" And print out another one with no idea of how to play it and lose again. I talked to a lot of the guys and they said it was just too frustrating to play a format they didn't know with cards they just hadn't ever seen and make the right decisions.

To be fair they all tried to play combo decks they felt were super-powerful like storm and Renaimator and didn't realize just how fragile those are if you aren't really good at them. The one guy that decided to play delver did alright but just couldn't get the sequencing down and what needs to be countered when in the month he played. I mean 4 times playing does not make you good at a deck.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

I've played RUG Delver for 2 years and I still find the correct line 30 seconds after doing something else all the time, especially now that I haven't played it for several months. Turns out playing a deck that doesn't have any good cards in it is hard.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

My LGS does a $5 full proxy Modern every Wednesday night. Prizes are basically a pack of standard per win, but it's a great way to test and tweak decks.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

Balon posted:

Is there any reason the Modern BW Eldrazi deck runs Damnation as opposed to Wrath of God? From what i can tell the deck runs just as much black-producing lands as white-producing lands.

It runs Urborg. It could probably run Wrath or Day without a ton of punishment, but Damnation is basically always turned on while the white wraths could possibly be blank

edit: the budget option would probably be to run Mutilate or Languish, both of which don't hit Tasigur, Goyf etc on turn 4

Terrible Horse fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jan 3, 2016

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
It might be a fashion statement?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Tasigur and Goyf are two cards that are pretty bad against you.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
So watching some of the Modern stream, I realized the reason I don't hate Twin the way I hate other combo decks like that Goryo's trash is in large part because Twin combo'ing off is just them casting Splinter Twin and asking if it resolves instead of jerking off with their cards for ten minutes while their opponent waits to be dead.

The fact that it's a fairly interactive combo deck that cannot go off before turn four no matter how much bullshit it draws also makes it much more bearable, but I really think the fact that Twin games just end when they're over is the biggest reason.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Voyager I posted:

So watching some of the Modern stream, I realized the reason I don't hate Twin the way I hate other combo decks like that Goryo's trash is in large part because Twin combo'ing off is just them casting Splinter Twin and asking if it resolves instead of jerking off with their cards for ten minutes while their opponent waits to be dead.

The fact that it's a fairly interactive combo deck that cannot go off before turn four no matter how much bullshit it draws also makes it much more bearable, but I really think the fact that Twin games just end when they're over is the biggest reason.

That's why I hate twin - it's actually just a control deck, but it has a "combo" that doesn't do anything cool or ask any kind of interesting question, it just wins.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Why does SCG have to remind us that cardboard crack exists and that people unironically enjoy it?

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Zoness posted:

Why does SCG have to remind us that cardboard crack exists and that people unironically enjoy it?

On a scale of honest to as dismissive as you are, how would you like your answer?

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Ramos posted:

On a scale of honest to as dismissive as you are, how would you like your answer?

Look all I'm saying is if you need a magic-related chuckle, remember that woobrews.com exists.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Cardboard Crack is not only OK, it gets props from me for coming down on the side of people who are OK with including trans characters like Alesha.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Cardboard Crack is basically Garfield. Unoffensive, but painfully dull.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Niton posted:

That's why I hate twin - it's actually just a control deck, but it has a "combo" that doesn't do anything cool or ask any kind of interesting question, it just wins.

There's no such thing as a combo deck that actually does something "cool." It does something dumb and convoluted or it just wins and lets you leave.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
What is it with this thread and making Magic sounds like an awful game all the time?

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

cheetah7071 posted:

Cardboard Crack is basically Garfield. Unoffensive, but painfully dull.

It's offensive just based on how relentlessly unfunny it is.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Terrible Horse posted:

It's offensive just based on how relentlessly unfunny it is.

I just hate how they express in four panels what realistically takes two panels to express. And still aren't funny to boot.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I am going to call mediocre content unfunny, please pay attention to how edgy i am.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Angry Grimace posted:

There's no such thing as a combo deck that actually does something "cool." It does something dumb and convoluted or it just wins and lets you leave.

Perhaps the same could be said of all decks

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Rinkles posted:

What is it with this thread and making Magic sounds like an awful game all the time?

I mean...

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Rinkles posted:

have you ever played it

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Angry Grimace posted:

I'm pretty sure a combo deck that involves making zombies out of illusionary jellyfish is by definition doing something cool.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Zoness posted:

I'm pretty sure a combo deck that involves making zombies out of illusionary jellyfish is by definition doing something cool.

Alternatively, finding a chest full of Treasure by throwing a bunch of islands and swamps into a pit to make zombies.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Rinkles posted:

Goons have no chill; you should see the Street Fighter 5 thread.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Angry Grimace posted:

I mean, I enjoy watching people break the rules. Splinter Twin is the Magic equivalent of pulling out a gun and shooting someone in a High Fantasy setting.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006

Sickening posted:

I am going to call mediocre content unfunny, please pay attention to how edgy i am.

me too *points to this post*

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012
Twin is a cool tempo deck with a combo-out finish. Engine combo decks like Eggs or Storm are very interesting and cool across the table if you know what's going on but really not in the same category imo.

black potus posted:

jerkboard city is a cool joke
yes, thank you for posting it forever ago

a dozen swans fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jan 3, 2016

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
jerkboard city is a cool joke

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

wow that comic is somehow less funny than me

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
i don't know why this thread has to go back and forth about combo or unfair decks or interactivity ad nauseum but it's incredibly boring and unfunny. we get it, you don't like combo decks or anything besides bland midrange and *ad nauseum kills me*

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

black potus posted:

i don't know why this thread has to go back and forth about combo or unfair decks or interactivity ad nauseum but it's incredibly boring and unfunny. we get it, you don't like combo decks or anything besides bland midrange and *ad nauseum kills me*

Shouldn't have gotten greedy.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

black potus posted:

These decks I hate, are so smug

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
The best combo decks have a chance of failing even as they are going off. You and your opponent should both be on the edge of your seat as Mind's Desire iterations 8, 9, and 10 are about to be flipped when 1 through 7 were duds.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
The best combo deck is Fantastic Fun.

Hey everybody let's take a ride on the pogo plane and pass around the flamethrower!

But that's an entirely different card game.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I would legitimately be satisfied with a metagame containing nothing but elixer and/or drownyard control decks

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I feel bad for the 4 people who played against me today while I played ANT horribly to 4-0. I literally have no idea what i'm doing with the deck and it's just that good apparently.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

The best combo deck is Fantastic Fun.

Hey everybody let's take a ride on the pogo plane and pass around the flamethrower!

But that's an entirely different card game.

Actually its full english breakfast.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

black potus posted:

Magic should be the 3 Delver variants in Legacy facing each other over and over again

that's skill intensive, you see, true magic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012

GoutPatrol posted:

Magic should be the 3 Delver variants in Legacy facing each other over and over again

that's skill intensive, you see, true magic

If you want a vision of the future, imagine the SoFaF minigame, forever

• Locked thread