Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RyuHimora
Feb 22, 2009
I'm having a problem with deciding where I want my career to go next.

I absolutely love building desktop PCs because building computers from the components allows me to use problem-solving skills that normally just aren't useful. When I get asked to get bids from vendors for solutions it gets very frustrating because almost every time nothing will work perfectly and there have to be bad/awkward workarounds. If I'm controlling what the solution is, then I can take a goal of "We need this system to do X", and just build it, using my knowledge of PC hardware to get something that works optimally. I have recently been tasked with handling my company's RMAs, and it is just soul-crushing when there's nothing I can do beyond "send it back and hope it gets fixed" since business workstations are so integrated that there's nothing for me to do other than re-seat the memory or HDD, as the CPU is permanently soldered in.

The writing is on the wall for me at my current position but I am very hesitant to find more corporate IT work. I know that the place I'm at is one of the few jobs left that will actually let me do custom PC builds, so I feel like I'm at a dead end. I am a competent Windows and single-subnet network admin but I find that work very boring. Am I just being left behind by the expectations of corporate IT? I feel like taking a job at Best Buy or some other consumer-based computer shop rather than stop working with the skillset I love.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

RyuHimora posted:

I feel like taking a job at Best Buy or some other consumer-based computer shop rather than stop working with the skillset I love.

Don't do this. Especially not Best Buy. You really do NOT want to work at Best Buy.

Have you considered getting into Systems Administration? Datacenters are always looking for infrastructure/server janitors.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

RyuHimora posted:

I absolutely love building desktop PCs because building computers from the components allows me to use problem-solving skills that normally just aren't useful. When I get asked to get bids from vendors for solutions it gets very frustrating because almost every time nothing will work perfectly and there have to be bad/awkward workarounds. If I'm controlling what the solution is, then I can take a goal of "We need this system to do X", and just build it, using my knowledge of PC hardware to get something that works optimally. I have recently been tasked with handling my company's RMAs, and it is just soul-crushing when there's nothing I can do beyond "send it back and hope it gets fixed" since business workstations are so integrated that there's nothing for me to do other than re-seat the memory or HDD, as the CPU is permanently soldered in.

The writing is on the wall for me at my current position but I am very hesitant to find more corporate IT work. I know that the place I'm at is one of the few jobs left that will actually let me do custom PC builds, so I feel like I'm at a dead end. I am a competent Windows and single-subnet network admin but I find that work very boring. Am I just being left behind by the expectations of corporate IT? I feel like taking a job at Best Buy or some other consumer-based computer shop rather than stop working with the skillset I love.

Maybe start looking at systems/infrastructure engineering? Similar skillset, tho you aren't working with trying to make one PC work optimally, but rather servers/networks/software, so at a larger scale.

RyuHimora
Feb 22, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

Have you considered getting into Systems Administration?

RFC2324 posted:

Maybe start looking at systems/infrastructure engineering?

My understanding is that you can't buy servers/business network gear without a repair agreement, which still leaves me buying things from a predetermined list without needing any knowledge other than the budget, and shipping it off if one little thing goes wrong. I guess the problem is I want to be very hands-on with the computers, but that's just not a skill outside of consumer gaming rigs anymore :(

Fake edit: My other concern is that I get a lot of satisfaction from having my finger on the pulse of the PC hardware industry. Whenever I look at servers the only question that ever needs special knowledge is "How many Xeons do you want?"

RyuHimora fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jan 2, 2016

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

RyuHimora posted:

My understanding is that you can't buy servers/business network gear without a repair agreement, which still leaves me buying things from a predetermined list without needing any knowledge other than the budget, and shipping it off if one little thing goes wrong. I guess the problem is I want to be very hands-on with the computers, but that's just not a skill outside of consumer gaming rigs anymore :(

Plenty of whitebox servers still getting built dude.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Physically building computers is a dead end job. A few companies like Google use hand built servers, but they basically have monkeys maintaining them. The thing is, PC hardware is a pretty low skill business, outside the people that work at OEMs actually designing the desktop computers. There may be a few niche environments where sometimes people are getting their hands in servers, but generally not. Going with OEM hardware is almost always going to be cheaper and more reliable than anything you can buy from Newegg.

I will say though, if you're interested in keeping up with desktop PC hardware, you might find doing workstation deployment interesting. When I was the person doing workstation ordering, I had to keep my finger on the pulse of the latest Intel releases and when Dell was putting them in their desktops, so I knew what to order and when to order it. Working with SCCM to deploy operating systems to those workstations was also interesting, especially when I had to muck around with finding the right drivers.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

RyuHimora posted:

Fake edit: My other concern is that I get a lot of satisfaction from having my finger on the pulse of the PC hardware industry. Whenever I look at servers the only question that ever needs special knowledge is "How many Xeons do you want?"

Start looking around for some Mom&Pop computer stores or small-end MSPs that provide custom server builds for one-off applications. As CommieGIR said, there's still plenty of whitebox servers still getting built.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Alternatively, the holy grail for your passion is to get in with some place like Facebook or any place that uses custom hardware in their datacenters.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

bull3964 posted:

Alternatively, the holy grail for your passion is to get in with some place like Facebook or any place that uses custom hardware in their datacenters.

Even then, I can't imagine you would ever engineer more than a handful of whitebox servers before documenting the process and handing it off to people who can be paid less.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Even then, I can't imagine you would ever engineer more than a handful of whitebox servers before documenting the process and handing it off to people who can be paid less.

They're white boxes in the way that they have them custom designed and built. You'd probably just be sticking in ram or hard drives. If it's broke just swap it out. No trouble shooting. They have so many servers it's a waste of time to troubleshoot that 1 server.

I heard rumors of Google just running them until they die. If a hard drive breaks they just revamp the server as something else.

Most of these places have like super hardware architects that check power loads and other highly technical stuff to maximize what they can put in there racks. That's you know 10 years of experience needed before they'd even think about you for that job.

Your best bet if you just wanna build computers is find a smaller hosting company. They're still building them by hand but the big boys are just buying all prebuilt open hardware stuff now.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

May I ask (roughly) how old you are, and how long you've been working professionally in IT? Just using myself as an anecdote, when I was in my teens/early 20's I LOVED working on hardware. Reseating RAM, racking/stacking servers, pulling Cat 5 cable, I don't care man let me at it. Need to know the specs of every current Intel / AMD / Cyrix (remember when that was a thing???) chip? I'm your guy. But at some point, it became familiar and routine. Faster chips and new connecter shapes and sizes come and go, but once you get the hang of it, the work is pretty simple. If you need to know how different chipsets stack up, Google exists. At some point a switch flipped and now when I have to go to the data center and deal with "mundane" hardware stuff I die a little inside.

I now find it much more satisfying to work at the systems/software level where I'm tuning the performance of hundreds or thousands of machines at once. Which, to be fair, are only as fast as the hardware that someone cared enough to spec out! But it's pretty rare that I run into a problem that scales better vertically (beefier hardware in a single system) instead of horizontally (many cheaper systems working together to share the load). Which is still a very important choice that someone has to make.

But that's just me. I don't mean to diminish your passions or the important of hardware. Companies like Google and Facebook literally couldn't exist without engineers micromanaging custom hardware builds to the point where they're basically disposable boards slotted into racks with no cases or other conveniences. They are the 1% who actually utilize their hardware to the fullest. That's a God-tier hardware geek job but good luck getting in there without a PhD or two. More reasonably, there are definitely custom white-box PC and server vendors like SuperMicro or Penguin Computing or dozens of others you could hit up.

Whatever you do, don't go work for loving Geek Squad :shobon:

Fake edit: beaten on a lot of these points

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Seriously, you are going to want to get into Server Infrastructure/Sys Admin stuff if you really want to get near hardware. Unfortunately, outside of some small Whitebox manufacturers, there just isn't much of a call for a hardware only guy anymore.

I've been doing Systems Admin for 10 years, and I started the same way, and I STILL love doing hardware, but its so much more fun, like Docjowles said, to mess with systems at the operations level.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

RyuHimora posted:

There's a hint of self-deprecation and insecurity in the way you're using the phrase "use problem-solving skills that normally just aren't useful." You understand how to model a system of parts so complex that individually, you couldn't possibly comprehend how the electrons move through them. You know the higher-order abstractions, what they mean to someone looking to actually use the thing, how a malfunction of one part can appear as a cascade failure throughout the rest of the system. You know performance characteristics off the top of your head that, with a day of explaining, most people wouldn't understand what they mean or why they're important. You know how these things relate to someone's ability to do their job, how more power isn't always better, and how to figure out someone's actual use case so they pull the best bang for their buck on a new build. And you think these skills aren't generally applicable?

With all due respect, you're throwing hardware together because you know you're good at it. Those problem-solving skills can be put to so many bigger and better things, solving new challenges instead of just being a pair of hands doing things millions before you have done already.

Believe in yourself.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Facebook actually does far more than that, but to get hired to do more than that you would probably need an engineering degree. They are a major driver behind the Open Compute project and they have all kinds stuff cooking with intel to increase density and ease upgrade processes.

The best place to look for work if you want to get hands on with hardware and custom builds is to keep jumping ship between SAAS companies that need to rapidly scale but can't afford to go fully into AWS or Azure. Facebook is an extreme example. Backblaze with their storage pods would be another. Really, anyone that needs to scale in a very specialized direction that would be cost prohibitive to subscribe to IAAS.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Has anyone actually had the lack of a degree hold them back career wise in IT?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Tab8715 posted:

Not even a page ago

Virigoth posted:

This. I just got blocked going into management by not having a bachelors degree but I'm a senior software engineer.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Management is not IT, even if you are an IT manager :colbert:

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I know people have been blocked where I work without a degree, to the point where they've left the organization.

But I work for a huge public University so we're a bit biased in that regard.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

DigitalMocking posted:

I don't disagree, just after 2 decades of hearing "it must be the network" I'm ready to stab a bitch some days.

Believe me I'm on your side. I once fixed a vmotion problem, handed to us by the infrastructure team, by googling the error message and implementing the fix in the first result. How lazy can you possibly get where you can't even be hosed to check google?

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Hey, started looking seriously at my career options lately and it seems like IT in some capacity is going to be the way to go with a Help Desk job of some description probably being my next step. Just wondering if anyone would know if all the advice in the OP is pretty much the same for someone in the UK? The certifications and such mostly.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Do you like computers and technology? Because if you don't like computers and technology, you'll hate IT.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
If you have a pulse you can probably get a hero del job. Literacy and knowledge of where the power switch is are helpful, but not required. If you are intelligent and have some motivation you can probably bounce into a junior admin role or something comparable after a year or so.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

psydude posted:

Do you like computers and technology? Because if you don't like computers and technology, you'll hate IT.
Addendum: I hate computers and technology, but like solving problems that other people are bad at.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
I'm a sysadmin with a static workload environment. My day to day job is to look after the Windows servers. Definitely pets, not cattle.

What skills would I need to hone to land a more interesting (to me) admin role in a DevOps environment? I'm aware of all the big name technologies like Chef, DSC, Vagrant etc and the big cloud vendors, the "configuration as code" idea. But I have very little practical experience with them, as zero experience in in production.

If I'm sitting across from a hiring manager, what do I need to do to convince him that I'm hireable?

Bonus question: What would I ask them about their workplace to ensure I wasn't walking into a "Devops" role that was really just another CJ role?

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

We have a shitton of bare metal but we contract all that stuff out to Racklive. They build the servers to our spec, rack and cable and ship them to wherever they go in the world.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Swink posted:

I'm a sysadmin with a static workload environment. My day to day job is to look after the Windows servers. Definitely pets, not cattle.

What skills would I need to hone to land a more interesting (to me) admin role in a DevOps environment? I'm aware of all the big name technologies like Chef, DSC, Vagrant etc and the big cloud vendors, the "configuration as code" idea. But I have very little practical experience with them, as zero experience in in production.

If I'm sitting across from a hiring manager, what do I need to do to convince him that I'm hireable?

Bonus question: What would I ask them about their workplace to ensure I wasn't walking into a "Devops" role that was really just another CJ role?

Learn the basics about the Software lifecycle (QA - > UAT - > Production) and understand the basic ideas behind those tools and I think they'll be willing to help you with the rest. Most DevOps positions are just looking for someone WILLING to handle these sort of things. Get some experience with Git/SVN, understand how to check out/check in code, learn about things like JIRA and Jenkins build cycles.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

Learn the basics about the Software lifecycle (QA - > UAT - > Production) and understand the basic ideas behind those tools and I think they'll be willing to help you with the rest. Most DevOps positions are just looking for someone WILLING to handle these sort of things. Get some experience with Git/SVN, understand how to check out/check in code, learn about things like JIRA and Jenkins build cycles.

So I need to know how to ship code, how much do I need to know about writing code? If I learn Ruby and walk into a shop that uses C#, will that be a deal-breaker?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Swink posted:

So I need to know how to ship code, how much do I need to know about writing code? If I learn Ruby and walk into a shop that uses C#, will that be a deal-breaker?

No, not really, DevOps is more about managing the code lifecycle, and most places are just happy to have someone who is willing to learn a new code on their team, especially if they hired you do fr DevOps, not to actually be a developer.

Its like Sys Admin'ing, but instead of just handling boxes, you are helping the development team deploy/manage their code as it goes from concept to production, but there is a lot of managing boxes inbetween and helping make sure a code roll out goes flawlessly on the operations side.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Swink posted:

Especially if Windows is your focus, just get out there and start interviewing. Even just being able to talk the talk is very valuable in a junior candidate. In the meantime, watch some talks about the technologies, processes, and methodologies you'd like to start working with. Read (and understand) some code. You can learn a lot about best practices and patterns/anti-patterns before you ever sit down to do something with a particular technology. I probably spent a week learning everything I could about Chef before I wrote a single line of it.

Best of all, you can do all this stuff while you're working at your current job, without needing to justify or find places to apply a single bit of it.

Swink posted:

Take note of what they ask you, more than anything, because that shows you where their priorities are. If they focus on operating systems and networking more than, say, your experience with different build tools or pipelines, or your scripting and automation experience, that's already a red flag.

Swink posted:

If you know anything at all about writing code, you're already doing great. If you want to ask about their coding environment, the Joel Test still works well in 2016.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Swink posted:

I'll answer this from the perspective of a web/SaaS company, since that's what I do and where you probably find the most interest in DevOps. Though most of the ideas apply universally as long as you translate "developers" to "whoever is my customer on the business side of the house".

You really want to dig into how much the operations or sysadmin team lets what we've historically thought of as Developer best practices guide their workflow. If they're doing a bunch of cowboy poo poo logging into individual servers making one off edits, you don't want any part of that. It's the sysadmin version of the 1993 developer SSHing directly into the production web server to edit live code in vi. If there's lots of automation, testing, and frequent deploys of both code and configs, that's good. When you ask about the company's CI/CD practices and tools, the interviewers shouldn't give you a blank stare or brush it off as bullshit only the devs care about.

"Describe the workflow for making a change to the production Apache config, from end to end". You're hoping to hear that they use config management tooling and/or something like Docker to automate things and ensure consistency across all environments. Plus something along the lines of "well, first I make the change locally in my dev environment and run some quick automated tests. Assuming that passes, I commit it to source control and push the change to the main test environment where it faces another battery of tests. Assuming everything passes, it will be promoted to production and slowly rolled out sitewide. If there's a problem, we stop it, fix the issue, and begin again. Making sure to add a test for the new problem we found. All of this usually takes less than an hour." You're hoping NOT to hear "well I fire up remote desktop to www01 and open the IIS properties page" or "I get the change added to the bi-monthly change review board agenda and hope it's approved."

You also want to look for a healthy, collaborative, respectful relationship between the dev and ops teams. How early in the planning process for a new feature or operational change does the other side find out about it? Do team leads sit in on each others' planning meetings to keep abreast of what's going on, or at least sync up for lunch a couple times a month or something? If you asked a random mid-to-senior dev to whiteboard how a request for https://www.company.com flows through the network and servers, how accurate would it be (or would they just say "lol idk" because the teams never talk at all)? Do devs participate in on-call (this is super contentious, but IMHO is critical for DevOps to function. You don't page devs for a failed hard drive, but why not for a sudden huge spike in HTTP errors?)?

And yeah, what VC said. You'll hopefully hear them talking about these things, too. If you're on hour three of getting grilled on group policy and RAID levels and DNS records, but no one has once mentioned scripting or config management or automation, that should be a huge red flag. If one of your interviewers isn't a developer, that's also probably not great.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
My coding is extremely weak but I like doing it. I have some vanity projects on GitHub already. I sometimes think about switching careers and becoming a developer but in reality I prefer doing sysadmin, I just need a more professional (and more exciting) environment than where I am now. (Not to mention the phenomenal amount of work it would take to get job-ready).

Anyway thanks a lot for that helpful advice. Looks like I've got my new years' study topics set.

Swink fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Jan 3, 2016

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

luminalflux posted:

We have a shitton of bare metal but we contract all that stuff out to Racklive. They build the servers to our spec, rack and cable and ship them to wherever they go in the world.

I'm curious, how accurate have your orders been? We recently added Racklive to our vendor mix and it seems they talk a lot more game than they actually have on the "cookie cutter rack" approach. Your avatar actually made me think you work with me, you don't work in adtech do you?

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

H110Hawk posted:

I'm curious, how accurate have your orders been? We recently added Racklive to our vendor mix and it seems they talk a lot more game than they actually have on the "cookie cutter rack" approach.

Accurate enough that they're the only vendor we use and we're one of their featured clients. I'm not in DCOps though so I just get a pile of servers' IPMI addresses handed to me after DCOps and Network has done their stuff, I don't really deal with any snafus with Racklive if they arise.

quote:

Your avatar actually made me think you work with me, you don't work in adtech do you?

gently caress no

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

luminalflux posted:

Accurate enough that they're the only vendor we use and we're one of their featured clients. I'm not in DCOps though so I just get a pile of servers' IPMI addresses handed to me after DCOps and Network has done their stuff, I don't really deal with any snafus with Racklive if they arise.

We have had a steady stream of incorrect orders. BIOS not configured correctly, wrong MAC addresses (Both flat wrong, and wrong NIC ordering see problem 1), comically underperforming boot flash drives (Somewhat my fault.) Our DC ops guys are remote hands. They are supposed to attach ~6 cables including power to a rack and walk away. If it's anything more than that to get it to a booted OS ready to deply our integrator has hosed up in some way. IPMI addresses are only for later when something is broken.

I would look up if we're a "featured" customer but their website is currently broken.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Tab8715 posted:

I can't say it's held me back really, but I will say the lack of a 4 year degree prevented some doors from even being opened.

I've worked for the same company for almost 14 years now, but about 5 years ago I was dissatisfied with my role at the time and started looking around for a new job. I had interviewed with multiple companies over the prior few years for journeyman Sys Admin positions but was either not offered or didn't take the opportunity for various reasons, but I almost always got at least a phone screen for a job that I applied for.

Anyway, circle back to summer 2010, I put out multiple job applications at places I wanted to work at for mid level Sys Admin jobs. Jobs that I was totally qualified for but were for larger corporations here in Texas. I had an AAS 2 year degree, 5 years of progressive experience in System Administration, a pretty good resume and multiple IT certifications. I didn't get so much as a single phone screen. All of these big companies wanted a 4 year degree, and I realized I wasn't even getting my resume and information to the hiring manager to even look at, I was being filtered out at the HR level. That's when I decided to go to WGU.

So I can go on and on about this subject. I won't say the 4 year degree was necessary to be successful in IT, some of the best IT people I know have no degree at all. For those big corp jobs I didn't even get a call about, I'm sure if I knew people there and could get my resume to the hiring manager through business networking I could have had a chance at those jobs, but I didn't. Basically having the degree opens some doors that might be closed to you otherwise.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Welcome back to work, everything is broke! ShoreTel:argh:

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

CloFan posted:

Welcome back to work, everything is broke! ShoreTel:argh:

I got paged by a cool bug New Year's Day. A condition in our code could trigger an infinite loop if a partner advertising on our site had their contract expire. Apparently this was a known issue in the bug tracker, but had been allowed to slide because the business people always get contracts renewed well in advance. But guess what happens when everyone is out of the office for 2 weeks at the end of the year, and a really prominent ad is set to expire at midnight 1/1? And guess what happens when every Apache worker on every web server is blocked in an infinite loop waiting for a call that will never return? :suicide: That should be an interesting postmortem.

At least I was able to find a dev who wasn't (too) hungover from NYE to get it fixed quickly.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
I job offer is in the making :yotj:

My old boss can't find anybody willing to work as hard as I did. He's over being mad that I left and is moving on to asking me to come back. I gave him my compensation requirements (current + benefits) and he seemed to balk a little bit, but I'm sticking to it since he's made it abundantly clear I'm valuable to him. We'll see what numbers come back from the CEO (since he will also balk at it, nobody under the president is making that much, it's still a relatively small MSP).

I like the idea of having way too much work to do as my current bank job is boring as gently caress. I don't like the idea of being under-compensated for my time. I know numbers aren't everything but I really like paying all my bills on time and not stressing month to month.

Just have to wait and see. Anybody else move back to a job they left and grabbed a decent raise in the process?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I job offer is in the making :yotj:

My old boss can't find anybody willing to work as hard as I did. He's over being mad that I left and is moving on to asking me to come back. I gave him my compensation requirements (current + benefits) and he seemed to balk a little bit, but I'm sticking to it since he's made it abundantly clear I'm valuable to him. We'll see what numbers come back from the CEO (since he will also balk at it, nobody under the president is making that much, it's still a relatively small MSP).

I like the idea of having way too much work to do as my current bank job is boring as gently caress. I don't like the idea of being under-compensated for my time. I know numbers aren't everything but I really like paying all my bills on time and not stressing month to month.

Just have to wait and see. Anybody else move back to a job they left and grabbed a decent raise in the process?

Don't take a counter offer.

NEVER EVER take a counter offer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I'm sure you've considered this, but moving back to your former job without a title change looks bad on a resume, like you couldn't cut it at the new place so you went back to where you felt more comfortable. Negotiate a title change at the very least.

ratbert90 posted:

Don't take a counter offer.

NEVER EVER take a counter offer.
This is generally a good philosophy, because most people don't leave just for money. But if the reason you left was actually just that your prior compensation was causing financial hardship, then it's fine to take a counter-offer (provided there are no contravening political situations on the other end of it).