Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Reds
Jun 15, 2015

I sense someone talking about... GUNDAM!

John McClane posted:

It's actually a really hard thing to do in a serialised show.
We've finished our first arc and returned to our status quo from the start of the show, but none of the character growth we've seen has been invalidated.

Yeah, sure, people developed, everybody but Takeru, who remains incredibly bland. I couldn't tell you two things about Takeru's personality other than "kind of wimpy". Akari calmed down with the skeptic thing, Onari is surprisingly competent, Makoto is now in an interesting place since he no longer has an agenda, but Takeru is just such a nothing character.

He has displayed little to no personality other than "i believe in myself" and parroting his catchphrases, and he doesn't actually ever help with the Ganma investigations, he just sits on his rear end for weeks at a time while his friends do all the work. The writing hasn't been terribly strong so far but at the very least everybody but him has developed.

And he's never came off as a particularly good fighter which makes him beating Javel effortlessly via raw power granted by an upgrade he was given and didn't work for unappealing. And now Spectre is wildly below him in power and won't catch up until he gets his own mid season upgrade that will then be immediately outranked by the second Ghost upgrade. I'm never a fan of unbalanced power levels.

And on an unrelated note he keeps picking awful Eyecon matchups. He keeps picking Musashi, the worst Eyecon, against ranged users and it never works.

I just feel that the writing is really weak this season in all departments. Nobody has half as much personality as your average season.

Reds fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Dec 31, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
This sounds somewhat similar to Wizard, except it gets some things wrong and right compared to it. Is Spectre at least a good secondary to play off ala Beast?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
It isn't great, no. But at least it isn't wizard-tier.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

GuyUpNorth posted:

This sounds somewhat similar to Wizard, except it gets some things wrong and right compared to it. Is Spectre at least a good secondary to play off ala Beast?

Specter was pretty good at the start since he spent most of his scenes telling Ghost to gently caress off and kicking his rear end, but we haven't actually seen them bounce off of each other other than that yet, so that's yet to be seen. Only time will tell if he can hope to be half as good as Beast, the real hero of that show.

Ghost is better than Wizard right now because the supporting cast isn't unfunny and annoying and because there's actually plot progression and unpredictability rather than the plot barely moving for forty episodes and being incredibly predictable since the very beginning, but Haruto at least had a personality that the writers rarely let him display, whereas Takeru just has no personality 100% of the time.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
It seems kinda like the protagonist stuff is split between Takeru and Onari. If Takeru ever showed initiative Onari would lose his role.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

Serious Frolicking posted:

It seems kinda like the protagonist stuff is split between Takeru and Onari. If Takeru ever showed initiative Onari would lose his role.

The result is that it makes Takeru look like a lazy rear end while Onari does all the work.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Thankfully I never care much about the main Rider, so Takeru being kind of bland isn't turning me against the series. If anything, he's gotten more tolerable with time, at least he isn't being a complete coward that makes me want to punch him in his undead face now. I do wish he stopped parroting the same two drat catchphrases, if only because they're really lame, but whatever.

I mean, if I had to rate a series by the strength of the protagonist, Kuuga is terrible. And it is not terrible by any means.

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud

Blaze Dragon posted:

I mean, if I had to rate a series by the strength of the protagonist, Kuuga is terrible.

This sure is an opinion that I had no idea anyone held.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
The goofy, chipper thing was completely deliberate because of how taxing being kuuga was for him. The dude was not a natural fighter, but he kept at it and never backed down.

Edit: Huh, I have an anime rear end av now.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Dec 31, 2015

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I can't really blame him. Godai's not the most interesting person on the face of it. If you look at him as The Hero he's mostly just a lovable goofball with a ton of determination who gives thumbs up to cops while in costume.

What he does have are great lighthearted moments with the supporting cast and he's kind of like a male version of the "beam of sunshine and vitality in people's lives" sort of girl character. I said it before and I'll say it again, in its peaceful moments Kuuga has a really pleasant "hometown" sort of feel and Yusuke's a big part of that.

Incidentally, the contrast with that is why his last battle was so raw and effective. While watching him, untransformed, beat a man to death I was feeling geniunely uncomfortable. Like, hell, this was a sunday morning kid's show right?

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Like, hell, this was a sunday morning kid's show right?

No, it wasn't. I don't think it even had the sunday timeslot at that time, although I wouldn't know.

Kamen Rider Kuuga was made with the intention of the director to destroy people's conception of what Kamen Rider was, and he certainly succeeded. For most of the early Heisei KR was a family show and enjoyed very strong ratings as a result with its broader demographic, which is how you get stuff like Faiz where one of the two protagonist murders somebody in cold blood in the first episode then throws himself off a building in an attempt to kill himself. Eventually due to some fuckups the ratings sank and the emphasis on aiming younger to sell more toys rose. Not to say they weren't important in the first place, but still. And then collectible gimmicks became the big seller and things went from there.

I consider Ichijou more of the protagonist between the two anyway.

Reds fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Dec 31, 2015

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
I think one thing this Ghost episode had on the previous episodes was it actually showed what the hell everyone was doing during hte time skips. That was a serious issue before, but we kind of see it here; the others all panic and worry, but Takeru, at least at this point, seems to have kind of accepted his fate. He's pretty peaceful about the whole thing, which I thought was really nice. It wasn't a flippancy of not caring if he lived or died, but an acceptance of his fate, positive or negative.

At least that's how it seemed to me, and it was nice to see. I don't think the show really argued against it either, or presented that as incorrect.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Reds posted:

which is how you get stuff like Faiz where one of the two protagonist murders somebody in cold blood in the first episode then throws himself off a building in an attempt to kill himself.

One of my favorite moments from Faiz.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbqSzH9VIec

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Reds posted:

No, it wasn't. I don't think it even had the sunday timeslot at that time, although I wouldn't know.

Kamen Rider Kuuga was made with the intention of the director to destroy people's conception of what Kamen Rider was, and he certainly succeeded. For most of the early Heisei KR was a family show and enjoyed very strong ratings as a result with its broader demographic, which is how you get stuff like Faiz where one of the two protagonist murders somebody in cold blood in the first episode then throws himself off a building in an attempt to kill himself. Eventually due to some fuckups the ratings sank and the emphasis on aiming younger to sell more toys rose. Not to say they weren't important in the first place, but still. And then collectible gimmicks became the big seller and things went from there.

I consider Ichijou more of the protagonist between the two anyway.

Ah, good to know.

And I agree.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

When people ask me how well Japan understands American culture I show them this clip.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

2016's gonna be a good year, looks like.

Check that new Rider 1.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Is that

Going to be a thing

Because that's gorgeous

I mean I could be enough of a nerd to say that WELL HE SHOULD HAVE PINK EYES AND HIGHLIGHTS AND TEAL COLORS INSTEAD OF GREEN

But thankfully I'm also way more of a nerd to recognize that as a straight up Sakurajima homage, which is my personal favorite look for the original Kamen Rider anyways.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Burkion posted:

Is that

Going to be a thing

Because that's gorgeous

I mean I could be enough of a nerd to say that WELL HE SHOULD HAVE PINK EYES AND HIGHLIGHTS AND TEAL COLORS INSTEAD OF GREEN

But thankfully I'm also way more of a nerd to recognize that as a straight up Sakurajima homage, which is my personal favorite look for the original Kamen Rider anyways.
"Roadshow".

drat.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

He's a thing. He's supposedly getting a movie called 'Super Hero Year: Kamen Rider #1.'

Oh yeah, since next year is the 40th for sentai and the 45th for Kamen Rider, they've declared next year to be Super Hero Year.

Should be a fun time.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Poison Mushroom posted:

"Roadshow".

drat.

Roadshow in Japan just means that's when a movie is coming out across the country. It's nothing special.

Dante Logos
Dec 31, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

Roadshow in Japan just means that's when a movie is coming out across the country. It's nothing special.

Is it? I thought it was a stage/musical performance like Decade: The Musical.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Reds posted:

Yes. It was. It aired at 8am on Sunday. Rider hasn't changed timeslot since it came back.

Dante Logos posted:

Is it? I thought it was a stage/musical performance like Decade: The Musical.

Yes, it is. Watch literally any trailer added to the end of a release.

AzraelNewtype fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Dec 31, 2015

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Kamen Rider, with the exception of the movies...well one of them at the very least, has always been a Kids show first and foremost, though it lent itself to older audiences in the past a little bit easier.

Ultraman is the series that typically airs prime time and is considered a family series, even if some outings are just as toyetic as the Toei lot. But where Kamen Rider as a kids show can have a man beat another man to death in the snow blood everywhere, Ultraman as a family show can have...Cosmos.

loving Cosmos.

Imagine if a Care Bear was a toku hero only remove any of the cool things about that idea.

FortMax
Mar 22, 2013

The Bunny Hat

AzraelNewtype posted:

Yes. It was. It aired at 8am on Sunday. Rider hasn't changed timeslot since it came back.

Hell, it goes back even further than that, since Rider took over that slot from Metal Heroes, which moved there in 1989. So one week, you had the goofy Burn!! Robocon that was aimed at kids younger than GoGoV's target audience, and the next you had Grongi murdering people.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Burkion posted:

Imagine if a Care Bear was a toku hero

Toqger?

quote:

only remove any of the cool things about that idea.

Oh.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wI4oWlrGs9I

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

I continue to be OK with this.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

AzraelNewtype posted:

Oh, hey, my first guess was right. Wikipedia said the previous show to have its timeslot was a reboot of this so I figured it had to have been a Sunday morning thing.

Burkion posted:

Kamen Rider, with the exception of the movies...well one of them at the very least, has always been a Kids show first and foremost, though it lent itself to older audiences in the past a little bit easier.

Ultraman is the series that typically airs prime time and is considered a family series, even if some outings are just as toyetic as the Toei lot. But where Kamen Rider as a kids show can have a man beat another man to death in the snow blood everywhere, Ultraman as a family show can have...Cosmos.

loving Cosmos.

Imagine if a Care Bear was a toku hero only remove any of the cool things about that idea.

Man, still uncomfortable thinking about it. That was a great ending.

And the knowledge that, yes, this is a goddamn kids' show just hammered it home even harder.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Incidentally, the contrast with that is why his last battle was so raw and effective. While watching him, untransformed, beat a man to death I was feeling geniunely uncomfortable. Like, hell, this was a sunday morning kid's show right?
Ever mouse over a spoiler and have it confirm that you should absolutely finish a show? Because I'm slow as hell working through this stuff and about 3/4 through Kuuga since my last post. And then I saw this, and I'm just thinking "That is the absolute perfect way to finish for the way they've been building this up and the themes they've been exploring, and I can't wait to see how it gets to that that point." Kuuga's been great so far (except the side-dialog in the runaway kid episode), and this sounds like an amazing ending. I'm really excited to finish it.

Ichijou remains the best (and Sugita is also strangely good given how minor a character he is)

Dante Logos
Dec 31, 2010
A friend of mine gave me this as a late Christmas gift.

http://imgur.com/ceLiGeD
http://imgur.com/zS5Qoy8

I think from the looks of things, these are HK subs. Not sure yet.

Edit: Something is up with the image BBcode, so I'm posting them as links for now.

Dante Logos fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Jan 3, 2016

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
I have an interesting question for the thread, while we're on a break week from the current airing.

What makes a good Toku fight?

Like to me, an ideal fight has a lot of back and forth, but that's not most Toku fights (There are some exceptions). Are there any specifics that anyone has that they think makes a good fight, and if so, is there a really good example they can think of to show this off?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

A good toku fight begins with the hero kicking the bad guy into an entirely new set.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Waffleman_ posted:

A good toku fight begins with the hero kicking the bad guy into an entirely new set.

And either the origin or the endpoint needs to be the Warehouse

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

If I had a Kamen Rider as a friend, I'd have him kick me to work when I was running late.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Generally, any fight that isn't instantly winnable whenever the hero decides to use a finisher tends to be pretty good.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
For me at least a good Toku fight is one with a good usage of the character's gimmicks, Lord knows how irritating it is seeing a character who's supposed to be primarily a gun user spend most of the fight using it as an extremely awkward club, this is one of the main things I disliked about OOO, that show was awful in regards to both fight choreography and gimmick usage

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
God I hate that OOOs never uses his loving tiger claws but has them as the default.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

This unironically. I loveee that poo poo. Hand to hand, no/little music, even fight.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

RBX posted:

This unironically. I loveee that poo poo. Hand to hand, no/little music, even fight.

The more obviously a different place it is, the better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

The more obviously a different place it is, the better.

What, you don't believe that the quarry is directly adjacent to the interior of a building in the city center?

• Locked thread