Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
I'm British and I don't really agree. Any one of your states is about as big as an average country and with the disparity of laws in the US kind of functions as an erzatz nation. Keep it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Hyperlynx posted:

In the context of "people from around the world!", it's out of place.

Who the gently caress cares? The cameraman asked them "Where are you from?" and they answered. Jesus Christ goons.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM

ShineDog posted:

I'm British and I don't really agree. Any one of your states is about as big as an average country and with the disparity of laws in the US kind of functions as an erzatz nation. Keep it up.

You might say its some sort of Union of several independent States

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Hyperlynx posted:

What's with people from the US introducing themselves by what state they're from? Nobody outside the US cares, or even knows where those states are.

Same reason people from the EU say what state they're from.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Byzantine posted:

Same reason people from the EU say what state they're from.

Lolno, i don't introduce myself as being from "France, Languedoc-Roussillon".

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

ninjahedgehog posted:

Who the gently caress cares? The cameraman asked them "Where are you from?" and they answered. Jesus Christ goons.

Not empty quoting.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

HenryEx posted:

Lolno, i don't introduce myself as being from "France, Languedoc-Roussillon".

So, like, when someone asks you where you're from you go "france" and then they're like "well yeah, we're in France but I mean where do you live?" and you just go :smuggo:?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

titties posted:

So, like, when someone asks you where you're from you go "france" and then they're like "well yeah, we're in France but I mean where do you live?" and you just go :smuggo:?

That makes total sense. There's a French Christmas movie where a kids parents are kidnapped in Africa. Not a specific nation, just Africa.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

titties posted:

I'm not from France, so

Bates
Jun 15, 2006
It's 330 million people in a country twice the size of the EU - being a little more specific is good and useful.

Gross Dude
Feb 5, 2007

Gross Dude
Do you guys have any idea how huge the universe is? Just tell what galaxy you are from and I'm good.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i don't think i've ever met an American that did that. They would say "U.S." and then i'd ask them from which state and i'd do a stupid accent making fun of that location.

I think i've only met Americans when drunk so that also affects the way i approach them.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Mans posted:

i don't think i've ever met an American that did that. They would say "U.S." and then i'd ask them from which state and i'd do a stupid accent making fun of that location.

I think i've only met Americans when drunk so that also affects the way i approach them.

We only exist when you're drunk.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Germans will often tell you the state they're from.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
So if I meet someone from Scotland, they're going to tell me they're British and not Scottish, right? Riiiight.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Maybe if you guys could claim some real loving square mileage you'd understand. Instead you have the UK (literally an island, know what else is an island? Hawaii, and that's our newest State. Big S.) and a bunch of countries where I could lay the members of my extended family east to west and cross borders. Know where you can't do that? America, sea to signing sea, motherfucker.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Bip Roberts posted:

Germans will often tell you the state they're from.

We normally refer to the nearest big city when asked where we come from.
Except maybe the Bavarians.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
My goddamn driveway is bigger than some European countries

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe

Lurking Haro posted:

We normally refer to the nearest big city when asked where we come from.
Except maybe the Bavarians.
Every German I have ever known has been very clear whether they come from the north or the south. I've been told that the southerners call the northerners 'fish eaters' or something like that. I guess I can relate. Whenever I've told people I'm from the US it seems important to let them know I'm not from 'The South'.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The United States really is 50 totally distinct states, which is why trying to get any cohesive national policies is impossible. Alaska, Alabama, California, New York (and NYC within New York), Kansas, Hawaii, and Texas are all technically part of the same country but have radically different environments, climates, politics, and cultural norms. Apart from general stuff like a common language and federal laws, Texas and Maine are practically as different as France and Germany.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Malachite_Dragon posted:

My goddamn driveway is bigger than some European countries

Don't bring your mother into the discussion.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

America is way to wasteful with space. You could fit like three or four Europes into the US but they don't even have half the population of Europe. I mean sure Europe hasn't been relevant to the world in at least 50 years but at least they're good with population density. Not as good as the Asians though, those guys know how to really cram people in.

belt
May 12, 2001

by Nyc_Tattoo

FreudianSlippers posted:

America is way to wasteful with space. You could fit like three or four Europes into the US but they don't even have half the population of Europe. I mean sure Europe hasn't been relevant to the world in at least 50 years but at least they're good with population density. Not as good as the Asians though, those guys know how to really cram people in.

Yeah, but do you want to live in Kansas?

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

A whole world of imagination beyond the oompah band.

FreudianSlippers posted:

Most people know where the famous states like Florida, New York, Texas, California, Louisiana, Alaska, and Nevada are. The unimportant states in the middle are a complete mystery to all but geography nerds.

I'm a little late but why in the christ is Nevada famous? There is one place in Nevada and even that sucks when you've been there for longer than a weekend.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
I enjoyed this way too much

https://www.youtube.com/embed/tmYrWXhFf4c

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

thespaceinvader posted:

Of particular note the speeding red light running motorcyclist whose helmet cam ends up INSIDE the car he rear-ends.

fortunately attached neither to helmet nor to head

Definitely speeding, but the motorcyclist had the green. The red light was for the advance left turn.

titties
May 10, 2012

Depressio111117 posted:

I'm a little late but why in the christ is Nevada famous? There is one place in Nevada and even that sucks when you've been there for longer than a weekend.

There is also Tahoe and it is better than Vegas :colbert:

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe

Depressio111117 posted:

Gold and silver basically. The Comstock Lode pretty much made Nevada what it is. Also, for about 35 years Nevada was the only place that gambling was legal. And people really like gambling.

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

A whole world of imagination beyond the oompah band.

titties posted:

There is also Tahoe and it is better than Vegas :colbert:

Tahoe is certainly better than Vegas but Nevada shares joint custody of it (and let's be honest, is a weekend dad).

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

FreudianSlippers posted:

I think it's because of how the land was colonized. The New England area is heavily populated because it was where the original 13 colonies were located, but the rest of the land was sparsely populated by "native" tribes (it's weird to even call them natives, as they also came from Eurasia and just colonized it millenia before Europeans). So when white colonists started pushing westward, they were just setting up farms and towns across a very vast, empty land. California became popular enough to become a major cultural center, but the rest of the country has huge swaths of empty space surrounding small nexuses.

On the other hand, Europe has had the majority of the existence of human civilization to grow a large population and fill in all the cracks.

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight
imagine there's no countries

I wonder if you can

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

oh dope posted:

imagine there's no countries

I wonder if you can

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

I think it's because of how the land was colonized. The New England area is heavily populated because it was where the original 13 colonies were located, but the rest of the land was sparsely populated by "native" tribes (it's weird to even call them natives, as they also came from Eurasia and just colonized it millenia before Europeans).

tell us more

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Alright this entire page has been dumb, goddamn goons. But, it did get us this, so..

chitoryu12 posted:

I think it's because of how the land was colonized. The New England area is heavily populated because it was where the original 13 colonies were located, but the rest of the land was sparsely populated by "native" tribes (it's weird to even call them natives, as they also came from Eurasia and just colonized it millenia before Europeans)

But really:

ninjahedgehog posted:

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

People trying to make fun of the United states of america are the same idiot fuckers who started the rumor that women don't like sex with huge penised men and actually prefer tiny baby dicks.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

RandomBlue posted:

We only exist when you're drunk.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.

Depressio111117 posted:

Whores, gambling, silver, gold.

titties
May 10, 2012

oldpainless posted:

People trying to make fun of the United states of america are the same idiot fuckers who started the rumor that women don't like sex with huge penised men and actually prefer tiny baby dicks.

I actually hope this one is true tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bates
Jun 15, 2006
I once crossed a great ocean to visit family in a magical kingdom called America. I spent 1 week in Pittsburgh with a day trip to Philly. Those are all the things I know about America. Sea to shining sea, you are all Pittsburgers to me.