Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

NoneMoreNegative posted:

FO4:Picked up an infinite ammo laser pistol, modded it up to a top spec full-auto split-beam rifle. if you can control the insane recoil you can hold the trigger down forever :bsdsnype: :knope:
i found an endless hunting rifle and just got gun nut 3 so I have it 50 cal and suppressed :ssh:

would like to find one of these explosive uniques sometime

also i bought the unique gauss rifle just waiting so i can suppress it or just find a lot more ammo, w/e comes first. it starts baller as hell anyway tho

i am liking the armorer/gun nut style combined with stealth shoot mans quite a bit. i have also come around on no skills as it actually lets me use heavy weapons/explosives/shotguns on occasion instead of never

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
biggest fo4 pet peeve is that once you assign supply lines it's very hard to change them

that provisioners count against population limit sucks. i wish i'd known it's smarter to have every settlement point 1 dude at sanctuary hills or the castle, than have all your dudes at either/both place(s) point at all other settlements

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Kenny Logins posted:

biggest fo4 pet peeve is that once you assign supply lines it's very hard to change them

that provisioners count against population limit sucks. i wish i'd known it's smarter to have every settlement point 1 dude at sanctuary hills or the castle, than have all your dudes at either/both place(s) point at all other settlements

they just need a basic interface for assigning dudes to tasks, someone will do this sooner or later

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Al! posted:

they just need a basic interface for assigning dudes to tasks, someone will do this sooner or later
second biggest pet peeve is that assigning dudes to farming tasks really sucks. also seems like a lot of my plants have become inert and can't have dudes assigned to them, or be moved/scrapped in workshop mode

settlement building is pretty halfassed but when it works i find it p. relaxing. something satisfying about securely/perfectly walling up a settlement with logical/useful security choke points

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

I like building big brutalist hive compounds for my Bethesda automata

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

bump_fn posted:

scholar of the first sin should have been dark souls 1

:stare:

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Kenny Logins posted:

I'm fingers x'd for an explosive .44 magnum body off a dead legendary some time, my fully modded up 'The Callahan' is my go-to for putting down raiders, heavy damage but light on AP drain.

with the perks + mods for gun and power armour helmet + mcreadys companion perk I'm pegged at 95% on head shots at any range with any gun in VATS, it's a bit easy mode tbh

also a fully upgraded gauss will sneak one-shot almost anything out there, ammo's scarce / expensive so mine is in reserve for behemoths, assaultrons, security bots and coursers.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

what I mean is they should have done the SotFS treatment to 1 instead of 2

since 1 is a better game

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
hmm, acceptable

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

ScrubLeague posted:

The story parts of MGS5 are the worst game of the year. The rest of MGS5 is the best game of the year.

otoh mission 43

gently caress huey

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Al! posted:

hahahahaha

tbh it also ends with ocelot vowing to kill miller if he tries to train one of big boss's clone sons

poor poor stupid kaz

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

NoneMoreNegative posted:

I'm fingers x'd for an explosive .44 magnum body off a dead legendary some time, my fully modded up 'The Callahan' is my go-to for putting down raiders, heavy damage but light on AP drain.

with the perks + mods for gun and power armour helmet + mcreadys companion perk I'm pegged at 95% on head shots at any range with any gun in VATS, it's a bit easy mode tbh

also a fully upgraded gauss will sneak one-shot almost anything out there, ammo's scarce / expensive so mine is in reserve for behemoths, assaultrons, security bots and coursers.
i haven't been that impressed with the 44 magnum yet but hoping the best receiver with gun nut 4 will yield results. i prefer using a suppressed 10mm for a dozen + vats shots or else a modded shotty from the hip for close up work. otherwise I'm sneaky 50-cal snipin' :hellyeah:

just got powerful auto for the 10mm and going to see if that's worth it. i don't have any +X% perks for any weapon yet

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

ayn rand hand job posted:

tbh it also ends with ocelot vowing to kill miller if he tries to train one of big boss's clone sons

poor poor stupid kaz

the tapes are easily the best part of the story since they actually wrap things up to an extent

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

a gta-like that takes place in a city-sized space station

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

hubris.height posted:

fallout 4 could have been game of the year if some good writers were involved

there's so many places, especially once you get involved with the institute, where you can ask questions and the whole loving thing unravels

it unravels the gently caress out the minute you step out of the vault.

no matter, goty anyway.

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

Kenny Logins posted:

i found an endless hunting rifle and just got gun nut 3 so I have it 50 cal and suppressed :ssh:

also i bought the unique gauss rifle just waiting so i can suppress it or just find a lot more ammo, w/e comes first. it starts baller as hell anyway tho

i am liking the armorer/gun nut style combined with stealth shoot mans quite a bit. i have also come around on no skills as it actually lets me use heavy weapons/explosives/shotguns on occasion instead of never

explosive shotgun; two shot killed a mirelurk queen. one was a sneak attack so basically three shot but anyway.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=udycuCr4MVrzFaqb

for anyone who wants goty talos principle

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Al! posted:

a gta-like that takes place in a city-sized space station

this is saint's row 4 FYI

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

tyvm. glad i passed on getting it for ps4

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Kenny Logins posted:

tyvm. glad i passed on getting it for ps4

it was goty 14

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

I guess my gotye is Witcher 3. Runners up in no particular order: Rocket League, MGS5, Undertale.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
found a f4llout mission where you have to fetch a cat but you cannot pet the cat. clearly this is a bug

also I think the brotherhood of steel deleted my power armor so they could reward me with a new one in the future. this caused the custom parts I had installed to leap halfway across the map into my inventory and take up most of my free space. thanks I guess

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

haveblue posted:

found a f4llout mission where you have to fetch a cat but you cannot pet the cat. clearly this is a bug

also I think the brotherhood of steel deleted my power armor so they could reward me with a new one in the future. this caused the custom parts I had installed to leap halfway across the map into my inventory and take up most of my free space. thanks I guess
I've found 3 frames and haven't even made knight yet. soon my frames can ball 3v3 with dogmeat watching while i catch 40 winks

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

bump_fn posted:

i really really liked mgs5 a lot but the ending soured me on it so supremely that it kind of tarnishes my memories of playing it.

Gameplay was so supreme though dude. You could approach poo poo in sooo many ways.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Gameplay was so supreme though dude. You could approach poo poo in sooo many ways.

that's true but the ending is the conceit. sometimes I want go pick it up and play but then i think "oh wait the game basically flipped me off and also took away my fave buddy and the multiplayer has already probably already stolen all my poo poo why bother"

does it even have a ng+ type mode

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

bump_fn posted:

that's true but the ending is the conceit. sometimes I want go pick it up and play but then i think "oh wait the game basically flipped me off and also took away my fave buddy and the multiplayer has already probably already stolen all my poo poo why bother"

does it even have a ng+ type mode

you can get quiet back by doing the sniper battle a bunch

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Improbable Lobster posted:

you can get quiet back by doing the sniper battle a bunch

I think a lot of it is that the game isn't what it "should" have been (whatever you think that is). mgs4 is allllll over the place but it's a satisfactory end to the mgs story as only kojima could invent and was a good (for its time) modern version of the metal gear gameplay

mgs5 should have been designed from the ground up with your last mission being you as big boss during intrude n313. or whatever it was in metal gear 2

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

bump_fn posted:

scholar of the first sin should have been dark souls 1

but then we wouldn't have dark souls 1???

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
oh i see. i guess that would be ok but i like things as they stand

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
kojima's compulsion to add another layer of conspiracy and poo poo always makes his stories fall apart
I honestly was half paying attention to the Truth mission because I didn't know why more missions weren't showing up and stuff. I didn't even realize that I was playing the ending of the game and the doppelgänger reveal really cheapened everything that happened up to that point.
mgs3 is the only one with a decent story mostly because it just revels in the James Bond/GI Joe-ness of what it is

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

fleshweasel posted:

kojima's compulsion to add another layer of conspiracy and poo poo always makes his stories fall apart
I honestly was half paying attention to the Truth mission because I didn't know why more missions weren't showing up and stuff. I didn't even realize that I was playing the ending of the game and the doppelgänger reveal really cheapened everything that happened up to that point.
mgs3 is the only one with a decent story mostly because it just revels in the James Bond/GI Joe-ness of what it is

My son, in time you will see the truth of Just Cause, and know it's word on earth, Rico.

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Video game plots suck, don't have them

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

maniacdevnull posted:

seriously all it would take to make aaa plots good would be to show some fuckin restraint and just have less of it

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

fo4 has the worst, least satisfying ending

jfc bethesda

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
i enjoyed nuking boston

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

maniacdevnull posted:

Sunless Sea has a bunch of sweet little stories. The Witcher 3: Hearts of Stone has a goddamn amazing plot that stays strong through ~10 solid hours, and the main game has some awesome self-contained stories and side quests (Bloody Baron, Ladies of the Wood, the possessed jarl of Spikeroog, the Tower of Mice, the Cave of Dreams, etc. etc.). The main story is fine, just has trouble with pacing.

Even really stupid plots help a game if they're done right. Look at the techno-Jew conspiracy in Wolfenstein TNO. I ate that poo poo up. There's a difference, though, between a stupid plot and a plot that treats the player as if he is stupid. Fallout 4 and MGS5 fall on the wrong side of that line.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Metal Gear Solid 5's twist was about encouraging the player, not laughing at them.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
mgsv had some of the best gameplay of anything this year and it's too bad the truth was the only really interesting part of the second chapter

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
I'm going with Invisible Inc. because my friend made it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

bump_fn posted:

I think a lot of it is that the game isn't what it "should" have been (whatever you think that is). mgs4 is allllll over the place but it's a satisfactory end to the mgs story as only kojima could invent and was a good (for its time) modern version of the metal gear gameplay

mgs5 should have been designed from the ground up with your last mission being you as big boss during intrude n313. or whatever it was in metal gear 2

operation intrude n313 was metal gear 1

it actually is the place where the game cuts off venom's story in a cutscene, sitting in outer heaven, playing a tape from big boss about operation intrude n313

ultimately mgsv is kind of in a weird place, since you know where exactly all the actors from peace walker end up by the time of mgs1, so you're not exactly looking for a lot of surprise, and the one twist is played pretty well (it really softens the treatement of how mgs3 zero seemingly became such a despot in mgs4/peace walker, it plays into the series long running narrative of information control and reproduction, and also ties up the differences between boss, big boss, and solid snake)

• Locked thread