Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

I will say that while the crab trio were, well, lame, I do like the fact that each crab has his own music line that pops up when he enters the field. When they're doing the TOWER OF MILD INCONVENIENCE! attack and all three are on screen the music actually gets pretty fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earnestly
Apr 24, 2010

Jazz hands!
So who is playing dk 64 for this thread?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

The whale level is a relaxing change of pace from the last two levels of the Beach. It even has a remix of Aquatic Ambience playing while you ride the whale, and that's the only instance of that track playing in the entire game.

Tidal Terror is the part of DKCR where you first see how nasty the game can be. It never reaches bullshit difficulty, but you gotta be at your A game. Plus, the music sounds like Kenji Yamamoto was trying to make some Metroid Prime music.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Earnestly posted:

So who is playing dk 64 for this thread?

God willing, no one. Unless one of you apologists want to get your hands dirty.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Artix posted:

I would, but it'd require me figuring out how to record N64 games without them looking like garbage and sounding even worse.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Artix posted:

If I get my hands dirty I can guarantee I will not be playing for every golden banana, because gently caress that.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
maybe someone should do a minimalist run instead of a dazzling addar run

Like a lot of the content is really repetitive and the big complaint is too much to collect... so why not see how much you actually need to finish the game?
Might be a fun exercise and a counter to the usual complaints.

Then again, you still might need everything. From what I remember of the Dazzling Addar adventure, last world requires almost everyones bananas anyway to complete, which means you'll need everyone unlocked and probably most of their powers unlocked.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

death .cab for qt posted:

Despite its flaws I think that DK64 is one of the best games in the series if you don't meticulously gather all of the golden bananas, for which there is no reward.

Fight me, nerds.

ew

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Acne Rain posted:

Like a lot of the content is really repetitive and the big complaint is too much to collect... so why not see how much you actually need to finish the game?

Then again, you still might need everything. From what I remember of the Dazzling Addar adventure, last world requires almost everyones bananas anyway to complete, which means you'll need everyone unlocked and probably most of their powers unlocked.

IIRC, you need somewhere around 150-175 Golden Bananas, at least four Battle Crowns, both the Rare and Nintendo Coins, and comfortably speaking, a good 15-20 of those bananas needed to be blueprint pieces if you want to make it through Hideout Helm with enough time. My best time in that area was just over twenty minutes or so.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Derek Barona posted:

IIRC, you need somewhere around 150-175 Golden Bananas, at least four Battle Crowns, both the Rare and Nintendo Coins, and comfortably speaking, a good 15-20 of those bananas needed to be blueprint pieces if you want to make it through Hideout Helm with enough time. My best time in that area was just over twenty minutes or so.

100 Golden Bananas is the requirement to get into the final stage, so it's not nearly THAT bad.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Acne Rain posted:

even if there weren't too many collectables, none of the kongs control very well and the camera is trash garbage and most of the levels are just a pain to navigate and the minigames are generally awful

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Plus by virtue of being an N64 game, it's glitchy as hell by default.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Materant posted:

100 Golden Bananas is the requirement to get into the final stage, so it's not nearly THAT bad.

Okay, so only half the Golden Bananas in the game. I couldn't remember the exact number. My point about the blueprints still stands, though.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Looper posted:

even if there weren't too many collectables, none of the kongs control very well and the camera is trash garbage and most of the levels are just a pain to navigate and the minigames are generally awful

All of this, plus is it just me or is the game dark as hell? I can barely see what's going on in half the levels.

It's a poo poo game. I can't believe it came sandwiched between Banjo K&T, both of which are masterpieces.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The game being dark was probably just a draw distance cover up thing. That being said, I do remember TONS of indoor halls with swinging lamps and stuff but being totally pitch black otherwise.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Hrist posted:

The game being dark was probably just a draw distance cover up thing. That being said, I do remember TONS of indoor halls with swinging lamps and stuff but being totally pitch black otherwise.

Yeah, that happened a LOT. As for general darkness, let's see... The first area had a bunch of caves and a stormy area, the second had a good 60% of it take place inside temples, the third was a factory, fourth was already dark and then got outright nighttime, fifth had night and day mechanics, sixth was a giant cavern, seventh was a dark and spooky castle, and last one was inside a fortress. Not a lot of areas overall where natural sunlight was being seen, no.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Yeah but BK had Mad Monster Mansion, set at night, and you could easily see everything going on there.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
Yeah, I honestly don't know. Maybe all the collectibles ate up a ton of the memory or something.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Skip DK64, go straight to Jungle Beat.

Hrist posted:

That was just them wanting to show off their fancy light tech, pretty much.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I will find a way to record dk64 for commentary, because I want to defend this great game which is dragged down by having 50% more content than needed

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Skip DK64, go straight to Jungle Beat.

That's the plan. :ssh:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Derek Barona posted:

Yeah, I honestly don't know. Maybe all the collectibles ate up a ton of the memory or something.

Funnily enough during development, the game kept crashing for some reason when the memory was restricted to 4 MB. They couldn't pin down the reason that happened, but using the Expansion Pak stopped that from happening. Which was the actual reason the game needed the N64 Expansion Pak, not because it was too big or anything on its own.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Jan 4, 2016

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Artix posted:

That's the plan. :ssh:

It frustrates me a bit. I really like DK64 and would love an excuse to play it again, but I don't have console access to it and every N64 emulator I've tried playing it on starts to desync audio after a few minutes to the point where recording is definitely not gonna happen. Argh.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

death .cab for qt posted:

I will find a way to record dk64 for commentary, because I want to defend this great game which is dragged down by having 50% more content than needed

i will undermine everything you say!!

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

If death .cab hadn't volunteered to play the worst dank, I probably would have done it myself. It sure as hell wouldn't have been a comprehensive playthrough, though. :v:

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I will see if I can get a version running smoothly and recorded properly, but if somebody else wants to give it a shot I will volunteer to ardently white knight the dank

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Bright Savannah - Part 2 :siren:

Not a great finish for world 3, but the boss is actually pretty good (if still a bit too long), so maybe there's hope for Retro yet.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

It's still situational, but Dixie's super move is actually the most useful one. She gives hearts, yes, but the hearts are actually Golden Hearts that stack on top of your normal ones. Get enough and you could feasibly have 8 health in a given level.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
So, little fun thing the game shows but doesn't exactly tell. All the fortifications and kooky machines and such the Snowmads are building up into stages for DK to crash through? If you look carefully in the background on occasion, you'll see them cannibalizing their landing fleet for the materials. Basically, they're moving in and to hell with anyone in the way.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Derek Barona posted:

So, little fun thing the game shows but doesn't exactly tell. All the fortifications and kooky machines and such the Snowmads are building up into stages for DK to crash through? If you look carefully in the background on occasion, you'll see them cannibalizing their landing fleet for the materials. Basically, they're moving in and to hell with anyone in the way.

I can't remember if it was Viking or Mongol or something, but at least in Legend some warlord would torch their ships. No surrender or escape. If you want to get home you rip a boat out of some poor fools house or something.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

FeyerbrandX posted:

I can't remember if it was Viking or Mongol or something, but at least in Legend some warlord would torch their ships. No surrender or escape. If you want to get home you rip a boat out of some poor fools house or something.

There was a rather silly mission in Warcraft 3 based around the concept if I recall.

Personally, I think they're ripping apart their boats because they heard what happened to the Kremling's home after the krocs let the kongs get their boats.

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!
How many times are you going to find a relevant song for two threads on the same day?

Not many!

Burn the Fleet, by Thrice

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
this boss was actually my least favorite (even more so than the next world!), mostly because of the last phase

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

FeyerbrandX posted:

Spanish. Hernan Cortez is reported to have done this when his fleets landed in the Yucatan with the intent of conquering the Aztecs. Historians dispute whether or not they actually burned them or just tore them apart, but yeah, Cortez destroyed his boats. If anyone wanted to return home they would do so in Aztec ships.

(Reportedly, after Cortez gave the order one of his men laughed. Cortez stabbed the man with his sword. The rest of the men then proceeded to tear apart the ships while drunk on rum).

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.
Watching the video, you guys bring up a very good point. Why aren't the hand grenades in DK 64 pineapples instead of oranges?

DFlux
Apr 25, 2008
Because Chunky already shoots pineapples out of his bazooka.Which also explode iirc.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I'd think a pineapple being hurled or shot at your would hurt like a bitch no matter what.

Bramble Scramble is my favorite level in DKC 2, It was kinda weird seeing it as something else.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Blind Sally posted:

Spanish. Hernan Cortez is reported to have done this when his fleets landed in the Yucatan with the intent of conquering the Aztecs. Historians dispute whether or not they actually burned them or just tore them apart, but yeah, Cortez destroyed his boats. If anyone wanted to return home they would do so in Aztec ships.

(Reportedly, after Cortez gave the order one of his men laughed. Cortez stabbed the man with his sword. The rest of the men then proceeded to tear apart the ships while drunk on rum).

There's a mission in WarCraft III where you do this too. Only instead of a statement of faith or dedication like it was in Cortez's case, you do it because Arthas' army is on the verge of abandoning him because they've figured out what a flipping loonball he is, so he has all his ships burned to trap them on on Northrend so they have no choice but to follow him.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
This happens in the Age of Empires II: Conquerors Aztec campaign. At some point Cortez rolls up with a couple galleons, makes a speech, selects his galleons, and presses "backspace".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I'd think a pineapple being hurled or shot at your would hurt like a bitch no matter what.
"And prepare to fire grape shot!"
"Cap'n, couldn't we use pineapples? They'd 'urt more than grapes."

Funnily enough, that was said by a pair of villainous nautical penguins...

• Locked thread