Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Inepta Lacerta posted:

This is just... Magical. Gotta love some humorous cosplay. :allears:

It's not quite perfect, he should really have painted his face the same red as the T-shirt for the full effect. But yeah, I chuckled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Jedit posted:

It's not quite perfect, he should really have painted his face the same red as the T-shirt for the full effect. But yeah, I chuckled.

I got your back bro

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I got your back bro

Is that Carrot top and a younger Louis C.K

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Fargin Icehole posted:

Is that Carrot top and a younger Louis C.K

No it's Che Guevara.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

No it's Che Guevara.

To be fair, the two can easily be confused.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Either way those are some pretty good Kurt Cobain costumes.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

This looks like a Jojo freezeframe.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
http://imgur.com/gallery/mCtURWA

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Very appealing. I feel bad that ladies have to smooth out their skin in photoshop to the point of looking like plastic. Like not for them personally they can do w/e and it's not that big a deal, but it's just weirdly messed up. There can't even be minor imperfections it all has to go right up to the line of the Uncanny Valley or gross people will be nasty about a human looking like a human.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

mind the walrus posted:

Very appealing. I feel bad that ladies have to smooth out their skin in photoshop to the point of looking like plastic. Like not for them personally they can do w/e and it's not that big a deal, but it's just weirdly messed up. There can't even be minor imperfections it all has to go right up to the line of the Uncanny Valley or gross people will be nasty about a human looking like a human.

I'm starting to think that some cosplayers actually do have plastic skin.

I wasn't even sure whether that was one of those creepy super expensive posable dolls or an actual person until I tracked down their FB page.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Now that is a man who goes to sleep every night on factory fresh pillowcases wearing a mask of unicorn moisturizer or something.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

mind the walrus posted:

Now that is a man who goes to sleep every night on factory fresh pillowcases wearing a mask of unicorn moisturizer or something.

Note that there's a reason I was using gender neutral pronouns, their FB page says "Gender: Plural (mixed)". They may have photos like this on their page:

... but that's still not conclusive evidence on their gender given their prosthetics/makeup skills.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
I don't like this thread anymore.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
Well uhh we finally got snow so here's an unedited shot of me trudging through a blizzard

Gonna do some actual photo editing this week, will post those too (especially the dutch angle ones)

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

This is a rlly good cosplay

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

VendaGoat posted:

I don't like this thread anymore.

...not comfortable with photographs unless you're clear about which people in them your sexuality allows you to fantasize about? :confused:

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Besesoth posted:

...not comfortable with photographs unless you're clear about which people in them your sexuality allows you to fantasize about? :confused:

Do you realize who you're talking to

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Erebus posted:

Do you realize who you're talking to

:laffo:
:golfclap:
:lol:

For this, I give you a Yaya Han.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

One Punch Ma'am

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
That costume, while admirable, shows too much effort for the character.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

McPantserton posted:

Well uhh we finally got snow so here's an unedited shot of me trudging through a blizzard

Gonna do some actual photo editing this week, will post those too (especially the dutch angle ones)

You made the Replica Prop Forum Facebook page with your Frostmourne build.

You're famous McPantserton. :)

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

mind the walrus posted:

It gets pretty eerie sometimes, and definitely makes me sad. Sometimes, I think it starts with "This photo looks pretty good, but I didn't even notice that pimple," and he or she fires up Photoshop. Then, it turns into "Well, while I have the program open, I might as well fix other blemish this while I'm at it, and now that I think about it my eyes could be a little brighter and my complexion would look better a shade or two lighter. Hmm, that hair isn't the color I'd like either, so let's change that, and gosh I had no idea my pores were so visible at 100x magnification..." By the end of it, you've got something that looks more like a still from a pre-rendered trailer for a video game than it does a real human being.

At the end of the day, it's your goddamn photo, so do what you want with it, but I wish people didn't feel like they had to fix stuff. People are born with blemishes, and that's O.K.

McPantserton posted:

(especially the dutch angle ones)
I'm usually the first person to complain about canted angles, but I'll gladly tilt my head if it means getting to see more of your amazing work :toot:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

That costume, while admirable, shows too much effort for the character.

No it's fine, Saitama isn't the one who made it.

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

It gets pretty eerie sometimes, and definitely makes me sad. Sometimes, I think it starts with "This photo looks pretty good, but I didn't even notice that pimple," and he or she fires up Photoshop. Then, it turns into "Well, while I have the program open, I might as well fix other blemish this while I'm at it, and now that I think about it my eyes could be a little brighter and my complexion would look better a shade or two lighter. Hmm, that hair isn't the color I'd like either, so let's change that, and gosh I had no idea my pores were so visible at 100x magnification..." By the end of it, you've got something that looks more like a still from a pre-rendered trailer for a video game than it does a real human being.

At the end of the day, it's your goddamn photo, so do what you want with it, but I wish people didn't feel like they had to fix stuff. People are born with blemishes, and that's O.K.

Someone showed a process in how they made fake tits for anime cosplay purposes and now I basically assume that's what everyone's doing with any photoshopping.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

You and I are on the same page in regards to the over use of Photoshop to "correct" perceived flaws.

I'm not out to make anyone look bad. As such, I will correct temporary blemishes, pimples and the like. Past that though, it's either a little artistic license to fit the character, E.G., adding a scream effect for a Black Canary cosplayer, a motion blur for a bioshock infinite rail riding action shot. That sort of thing.

I am not going to be softening your face, adding digital makeup, giving you a tummy tuck, blimping out your tits, or turning you into an anime character.

You're a human, I want you to look like a human and be proud of the work you did to look like whomever, or whatever, it is you're cosplaying as.

Now, if you want to pay me to do any of the effects, that's a separate :can:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Exactly. It's not some white knight "beauty standards devalue women" horseshit nor some "I can't jerk off to plastic-looking girls won't someone think of my erection" garbage, it's how this quirk of human psychology to over-correct the very flaws that make us appealing that ends up taking me out of the joy of Cosplay because now I'm not thinking about how good the costume is, I'm wondering how someone can use the smear tool that much and still think it's ok. It's the Ladies' Magazine problem compounded by the limitations and inexperience of relative amateurs.

Forti
May 5, 2009

Or maybe they feel like having smooth, flat shaded skin makes them look even more like the anime character they're pretending to be, which is, after all, the whole point.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

:swoon: I'll take a dozen.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Inzombiac posted:

:swoon: I'll take a dozen.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
I tend to look at super heavily edited photos as more a statement on photomanip than on costumes. On the topic of edits, what I did for these is mess with lighting/contrast/color saturation, enhanced some of the effects like dark eye sockets and helmet gem glow, and for some I added the runes back onto the sword because they photograph like rear end in the daylight. Also I removed a wig hair from overlaying my nostril in one of them. I wish our camera were a bit better, we tried to do some crazy exposure thing to get more snow in the photos but then they come out kinda blurry. I still want to do a more pro shoot.

VendaGoat posted:

You made the Replica Prop Forum Facebook page with your Frostmourne build.

You're famous McPantserton. :)

Aaaargh I know, right? My facebook is seriously still blowing up. Super exciting!

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

I'm usually the first person to complain about canted angles, but I'll gladly tilt my head if it means getting to see more of your amazing work :toot:

Bah thanks :D but in the fine spirit of this thread I don't think we actually took any angled ones of me this time! :woop: I guess the sword and helmet one is kind of tipped.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

McPantserton posted:

I tend to look at super heavily edited photos as more a statement on photomanip than on costumes. On the topic of edits, what I did for these is mess with lighting/contrast/color saturation, enhanced some of the effects like dark eye sockets and helmet gem glow, and for some I added the runes back onto the sword because they photograph like rear end in the daylight. Also I removed a wig hair from overlaying my nostril in one of them. I wish our camera were a bit better, we tried to do some crazy exposure thing to get more snow in the photos but then they come out kinda blurry. I still want to do a more pro shoot.

What exactly are you trying to do with the snow? I may be able to help you out with basic settings that you can tweek when you go out next.

And I agree on the photomanip part. It hardly ever enhances the costume and normally just overtakes everything else.

Oh and on the runes. When you have that bright of a backdrop of snow, you'd be better off blacking the runes out before you go out and adding in the color and a mild glow effect in post. That light blue will always wash out with a bright white back drop.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

VendaGoat posted:

What exactly are you trying to do with the snow? I may be able to help you out with basic settings that you can tweek when you go out next.

And I agree on the photomanip part. It hardly ever enhances the costume and normally just overtakes everything else.

Oh and on the runes. When you have that bright of a backdrop of snow, you'd be better off blacking the runes out before you go out and adding in the color and a mild glow effect in post. That light blue will always wash out with a bright white back drop.

A big part of the problem is that about half of these were taken on a phone so I think really we need to hit up our photog friends who have real gear more than anything. My husband is pretty decent with a nice camera but it's only recently that we've started to actually really need one so it just hasn't been a priority for spending up until now.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

McPantserton posted:

A big part of the problem is that about half of these were taken on a phone so I think really we need to hit up our photog friends who have real gear more than anything. My husband is pretty decent with a nice camera but it's only recently that we've started to actually really need one so it just hasn't been a priority for spending up until now.

A shutter and iso control for snow swirl or snow stills is required, so, yes.

And hey, it's only recently you became internet famous! :peanut:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

I don't think there's anything I can say in response to this other than:

Dat Arthas.

(Sorry.)

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

McPantserton you are the best. I'm always blown away by your work!

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

I'm new to this thread. McPantserton, have you posted anything else besides this and your avatar? I'm impressed and would love to see more.

EDIT: Derp, maybe I can just click your question mark like somebody who knows how to forum.

rydiafan has a new favorite as of 20:15 on Jan 5, 2016

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

rydiafan posted:

I'm new to this thread. McPantserton, have you posted anything else besides this and your avatar? I'm impressed and would love to see more.

EDIT: Derp, maybe I can just click your question mark like somebody who knows how to forum.

I have posted a ton and yeah that's probably easiest! Here is one I have not posted, it is my finest work by far

EEEEEEVILLLLLLLL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

:supaburn: Bosoms, melons, milk factories, busts, funbags, knockers, ballistics, boobies, jugs, nipples, jubblies, STONKING GREAT TITS! :supaburn:

• Locked thread