Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

Pukestain Pal posted:

I've always just used water for a stop bath. Am I an idiot?

I don't know you well enough to pass that judgement, but using water for a stop bath is fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
My guess is that it's probably more important to use a stop if you're using a fairly concentrated developer, as opposed to the dilute Rodinal solutions I use.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Spedman posted:

My guess is that it's probably more important to use a stop if you're using a fairly concentrated developer, as opposed to the dilute Rodinal solutions I use.

Yeah anything with shorter dev times will have more of an effect when you stop it quickly.

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

Pukestain Pal posted:

I've always just used water for a stop bath. Am I an idiot?

not because of that :v:

(no)

Minkee
Dec 20, 2004

Fat Chicks Love Me

Heavy Holiday Delivery by Matt Blackmon, on Flickr

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Cool. I like an XA2, but I need to disassemble mine and fix the electrical contacts on the bottom of the shutter button so I can get the hair-trigger sensitivity again.

Minkee
Dec 20, 2004

Fat Chicks Love Me
Yeah its one of my favorite cameras for sure. Its usually sharp, quiet, and easy to pop in my pocket. I got really lucky when I got mine to get the case, manuals, and flash with it.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Just finished putting a 4th roll of film (2nd roll of Portra 400, second C-41 home development) though my Kiev-60. Two things:

1.) I tried just spinning the reel inside my development tank rather than inverting (last time the lid didn't seal well and I got blix all over my hands), but it caused some gnarly color casts.

2.) Cropping to 645 because I suddenly have these dark corners as you can see in the third image. I'm thinking this is a shutter problem, but I'm going to flock the mirror box anyway. Anyone have guess what exactly is causing these dark corners? First half of the roll, they're on the right; second half, the left. I'm an idiot and scanned half my frames upside down. They Should all appear on the left.

Problem Demonstration by S M, on Flickr

SMERSH Mouth fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Dec 21, 2015

Tony Two Bapes
Mar 30, 2009
Untitled by Phillip Chicola, on Flickr

Untitled by Phillip Chicola, on Flickr

Tony Two Bapes fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Dec 20, 2015

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.

This rocks.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS
I'm not so scared of developing C-41 myself anymore. My first try didn't go so well a few months ago. This time around I got really OCD about temperatures, and it came out great!

Pickin' by Paul Frederiksen, on Flickr

Minkee
Dec 20, 2004

Fat Chicks Love Me

Pukestain Pal posted:

I'm not so scared of developing C-41 myself anymore. My first try didn't go so well a few months ago. This time around I got really OCD about temperatures, and it came out great!

What temperature are you guys using to develop? Are you going with 85 degrees or 102-110? I have black and white down for the most part and I have a unicolor c41 kit and a pile of color waiting for me. Any other tips that you guys could throw my way other than for the love of god don't spill the blix...

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

Minkee posted:

What temperature are you guys using to develop? Are you going with 85 degrees or 102-110? I have black and white down for the most part and I have a unicolor c41 kit and a pile of color waiting for me. Any other tips that you guys could throw my way other than for the love of god don't spill the blix...

Basically I used a big stainless steel pot and put in 110 degree water into it and let the chemicals soak. That got them pretty close. Add hot water as need. Through the process, if temps started going down, I'd take a big measuring glass full of "old" water out, and replaced it with hot water. Seemed to work pretty well.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

I had good results with my first c41 dev about a week ago with 35mm ektar 100, but my last two attempted devs of 120 portra 400 have come out with blotches of magenta and green cast. I was really careful with the second portra roll (used a digital thermometer and was very exact with my times) so now I think that I probably just didn't use enough developer.

Do you reuse your developer? I'm a little suspicious of it, because when freshly mixed it looked like piss (normal) and came out of the tank looking like.. bloody piss. I do presoak the film in the same tank and the waste water from that looks inky so I think it must be something that comes off the film and whats left over mixes with the developer. But it's probably still OK to reuse, right?

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

It absolutely is okay to reuse the developer, but you need to compensate for how many rolls you've put through the chemicals. The instructions should say you need to add X amount of time for each successive roll, where the greater the ISO of the film the longer you'll need to develop the next roll, as the high iso films exhaust the chemicals at a greater rate.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
It's normal for the developer to become severely discolored even after the first roll. And the color of your pre-wash also depends on the film you're using. Some pre-wash water comes out dark green where others are almost clear. :iiam:

Spedman posted:

the greater the ISO of the film the longer you'll need to develop the next roll, as the high iso films exhaust the chemicals at a greater rate.

the tetenal c-41 kit makes no mention of this. Is this specific to only certain kits?

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

No, its standard across the process, also applies to E-6. They probably don't mention it because I think most people would be shooting 100/200 speed film most of the time, rather than 400/800/1600 colour film.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
I shot my first roll of film, Kodak Ultra Max 400 Film (Blue/Yellow), on a Olympus Trip XB3. I then took that film and developed it using caffenol. All the shots are way too dark. If I shine a flashlight through the back I can just barely make out the details so I know I didn't royal gently caress up the process. There might be too many unknown variables in this problem but I figure I'd ask here for how I can prepare better for my next time developing?

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

huhu posted:

I shot my first roll of film, Kodak Ultra Max 400 Film (Blue/Yellow), on a Olympus Trip XB3. I then took that film and developed it using caffenol. All the shots are way too dark. If I shine a flashlight through the back I can just barely make out the details so I know I didn't royal gently caress up the process. There might be too many unknown variables in this problem but I figure I'd ask here for how I can prepare better for my next time developing?

:newlol:

You developed c-41 film in a gimmick process and you're surprised the results were garbage?

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

ansel autisms posted:

:newlol:

You developed c-41 film in a gimmick process and you're surprised the results were garbage?

https://www.flickr.com/groups/33051635@N00/pool/

Don't look like bad photos to me.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
Anyone have experience / thoughts on Cinestill film? It's pricey and the results on Flickr look pretty mixed.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

huhu posted:

Buy some Rodinal and Arista .EDU B&W from Freestyle, do stand dev. Then if it's still bad it's probably your camera. Or you.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Thoogsby posted:

Anyone have experience / thoughts on Cinestill film? It's pricey and the results on Flickr look pretty mixed.

It's Vision T film, which Portra is based off of. They strip the anti-halation layer that normally prevents you from processing it C-41 which gives huge flare/haloing around anything red.

How many of those are C-41?

bellows lugosi fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Dec 25, 2015

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer

Caffenol is for black and white film. You used it on color (C-41 process) which is why it didn't work.

If you want to use caffenol you need to buy black and white Kodak film (t-max for example) or ilford (delta or hp5).

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

I've done c-41 in Rodinal when testing a camera and only had cheap non-name brand film. It required fairly high concentration and a long development time from memory, I wouldn't recommend it. The C-41 based black and white films do okay though.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

Developing E-6 for the first time tonight. Wish me luck.

loaf
Jan 25, 2004

I found a TLR on the side of the road. I think it's water-damaged and the focus doesn't turn at all. Is there a graceful way to unstick it, or should I just use pliers?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

loaf posted:

I found a TLR on the side of the road.

lol what?

Tony Two Bapes
Mar 30, 2009
. wrong thread

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Roadside TLR owns, don't use loving pliers, try some oil.

Got two 5-roll packs of Portra 400 for Xmas and I can't wait to dev some of this poo poo.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

Success with E-6 dev.

Chi by Paul Frederiksen, on Flickr

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

BANME.sh posted:

Caffenol is for black and white film. You used it on color (C-41 process) which is why it didn't work.

If you want to use caffenol you need to buy black and white Kodak film (t-max for example) or ilford (delta or hp5).

Caffenol works for color film too it just converts it to black and white. I will be getting some B&W film next though. Here is a shot with a flashlight to light it up, is this how it should be? (The photo is of stockings over the fireplace)

DSC02098 by Esa Foto, on Flickr

loaf
Jan 25, 2004

akadajet posted:

lol what?

It was dumped on the street alongside an M-mount Zeiss 50mm f/2.8, also pretty gummed up.

I worked the focus free with methanol, but there's no film cage so I probably won't get to find what else is wrong with this thing. I've never used a TLR but this offset at close focus doesn't look right:

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
This morning I dreamed I was at a church rummage sale when I spotted a couple ultra-rare variants of the Olympus XA.

One was like a shorter and wider variant (the "XA Arrow") done up in a neo-Art Deco styling with a contrasting chrome chevron/triangle on the door. It had a fully aspheric 2-element 35mm f/3.3 lens (:what:) that was like a predecessor of the Stylus Epic's lens or something. It had a huge rangefinder with a bitchin laser-blue rangefinder patch, and came with the A16 (which was great since so far I only have A11s).

The other one was like a funky ultrawide dealie, with a front with 2 very wide doors on it that slid all the way outwards and a bulbous superwide lens inside so that you could shoot panoramic wide-angle. Like a Horizon or an XPAN crammed inside a 4" wide XA shell. I think it might have been swing lens or have a circular film path like the Horizon or something, I dunno. :shrug:

I am super disappointed that neither of those actually exist. I googled just to be sure. :smith:

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Dec 31, 2015

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Cool dream bro. (But really those would be pretty neat. The XA has been around for decades now, it could use a refresh :v:)

I've haven't had the opportunity to do anything with my MF camera lately, but I've been shooting with a 35mm and practicing my home development (C-41 and B&W) process, and scanning some old negatives:

TMAX 400

Expired Kodak 400 color film (it's a yellow cassette, is that 'Kodak Gold'?)

Fuji Natura 1600 (Used most of this roll at my work's holiday party, but here's something I took afterwards to use up the last exposure)

All of these were processed and scanned by me. I'm still working on my color correction. The Natura is kind of hard to wrangle, and the expired color film is of course going to be a little weird no matter what. The Natura shot was much bluer when I initially set the white/grey/black points. It looked really cool, but I believe it would have been more yellow in real life so I tried to dial it down. Anything else look especially weird to an experienced eye? (Besides the obvious clone stamping to remove dust?)

SMERSH Mouth fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jan 3, 2016

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Expired Kodak 400 color film (it's a yellow cassette, is that 'Kodak Gold'?)

Most likely. That's basically been the only thing Kodak has sold in forever now. EDIT: aside from Portra. It's now been rebranded to some other name but near as I can tell it's still basically what Gold always was.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jan 3, 2016

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Could also be ultramax.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Wild EEPROM posted:

Could also be ultramax.

Which is also known as Kodak Gold...

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

MrBlandAverage posted:

Which is also known as Kodak Gold...

At least for me they're similar but not same, the reds are very different between Kodak Ultramax and Gold.
I like the Kodak Gold 400 reds much better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

VomitOnLino posted:

At least for me they're similar but not same, the reds are very different between Kodak Ultramax and Gold.
I like the Kodak Gold 400 reds much better.

Gold 400 was rebranded as Ultramax. There's only Gold 200 and Ultramax 400 now (there used to be Gold 100 and Ultramax 800).

http://www.kodak.com/ek/US/en/NewCo_About_Top/Consumer_Products_Services/Consumer_Films.htm

You know how Ultramax 400 has the GC code? Gold 200 is GB.