Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Baracula posted:

Gandhi was operating as the alternative to the real possibility of a bloody Indian army mutiny. That's probably not important though

Likewise with the civil rights movement you had the black panthers effectively forming armed militias that would protect black neighbourhoods from the police etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

team overhead smash posted:

Thank you, that's it exactly. There isn't some kneejerk reaction like people have been claiming where Israel automatically goes "MUST BOMB 1000 PALESTINIANS" to any provocation, it's based on the context of the attack and what is deemed as appropriate based on a host of different factors including internal and external pressure and the efficacy of any such measures.

Also while militants use mortars less than rockets, it isn't insanely less.They use rockets about twice as often as mortars so mortars are less common but not radically so.

Secondly, it doesn't really matter. If the only thing that stands against the arguments I'm making is some inference of a vague strategic goal that you can in no way explain or back up, then am I or anyone else really supposed to take it seriously?

"Matters" in the context of that argument specifically refers to meeting the criteria of being a large scale attack with thousands of casualties. A small scale attack that leads to, at most, a few casualties, would therefore not matter in any way!

I don't know how you got that from "they didn't bomb anyone because there wasn't anyone to bomb", but whatever.

Sounds like if they dropped rockets from their arsenal they would only be able to make one-third as many attacks, with no apparent improvement in the success rate of attacking soldiers.

The thing that stands against the arguments you're making is that if rockets weren't beneficial to anyone, why would anyone bother with them? Originally, you asked why Hamas launches rockets when you asserted that there was no benefit whatsoever to doing so. And I've answered you very simply - obviously Hamas wouldn't launch rockets if they thought there was no benefit to doing so or if they thought the downsides totally overwhelmed the benefits, so it naturally follows that at the very least they (and other Palestinian militant groups) believe that the benefits of rocket launches are worth the risks. Maybe you disagree, but that doesn't mean you're right and everyone else (ranging from internet commenters to the people actually involved on the ground) is wrong.

The only thing that meets the criteria of being a "large attack" is Israel's invasions. Rocket attacks are also small attacks.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

JPost posted:

Visiting the site of the deadly shooting attack on Tel Aviv's Dizengoff Street on Saturday evening, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu vowed to "increase efforts to enforce the law" in Israel's Arab localities while imploring the Arab minority to "show loyalty to the laws of the state."

The premier was accompanied by Police Commissioner Roni Alsheich and other security officials.

“This was the site of a despicable murder,” Netanyahu said. “I want to send my wishes for a speedy and full recovery to all the wounded.”

“The police and the Israel Security Agency (Shin Bet) are working around the clock to catch the killer," he added.

The prime minister used the occasion to deliver a stern message to Israeli Arabs, whom he said "enjoy the rights of Israeli citizens yet take on the obligations of being Palestinian."

The premier praised the condemnations of the killing by the Israeli Arab leadership, though he added that expects "all Arab lawmakers, without exception and without stuttering or equivocation, to denounce these acts."

Netanyahu said that while there are "many elements among Israel's Muslims that eschew violence," he cited "wild Islamist incitement in mosques and social media" as factors that encourage the kind of incidents that took place on Friday.

"We are acting against this incitement, just as we did when we outlawed the northern branch of the Islamic Movement," the premier said.

Netanyahu said that Israel was in danger of becoming "a state of law for most of citizens, and a state within a state with Islamist incitement and illegal arms that are often used in weddings, celebrations, and criminal incidents."
http://www.jpost.com/Israel-News/Netanyahu-visits-site-of-Tel-Aviv-shooting-attack-439168

Yeah, this won't further entrench the existing divisions or embolden right-wing extremists.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ytlaya posted:

You keep saying this, but I don't think I've seen anyone in this thread or the last who has justified acts of Palestinian violence.

It's always nice when other posters jump in to make my case for me:

Ddraig posted:

On the other hand, I think it's good that the Palestinians do fire rockets

FlamingLiberal posted:

Since they have virtually no other methods to fight back, and no way to do anything right now via the political process, it's really hard to blame those of them that do it.

Ytlaya posted:

But objecting to Israeli policy/actions is something that is actually legitimate independent of the fact that many antisemitic people also hate Israel. With all other examples of concealed racism, it is easy to explain why the things the racists in question say are dumb and without basis. But "Israel does a bunch of disproportionately bad stuff" is something with a bunch of hard evidence, and Israel is not synonymous with "Jewish people."

That right-wingers ranting about "thugs" and tide of black on white violence can attempt to point to actual individual incidents of violent street crime notwithstanding, their occasional recourse to real data points does not mean the narrative they attempt to weave is one infused with racism.

The irony is that there's certain people for whom that is perfectly clear, who consider themselves very conscious of the subtle manifestations of institutional racism and white privilege and racial bias in everything from policing to pop culture.

But all of that nuance goes right out the window when Israel is involved. Then it's fine to talk about how those bloodthirsty, deceitful Zionists simply want to slaughter Palestinian children. And of course, any attempt to point out why that sort of characterization is problematic is met with the standard Tea Party-esque "How dare you play the anti-semitism card!" outrage.

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

team overhead smash posted:

Seeing as the point being made is about large-scale attacks which result in thousands of casualties, exactly what the gently caress is a small scale attack that left several people dead supposed to matter in the context of the discussion being had?

I hate to bring this up, but

I believe you don't know what the word invasion means. Israeli cannot arbitrarily choose whether or not Palestine is a sovereign country. They entered a sovereign country with an army and a hostile intent. That counts as an invasion.

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

Israeli cannot arbitrarily choose whether or not Palestine is a sovereign country.

Actually they can and do quite frequently.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

A Terrible Person posted:

I think he meant that as at least a quasi-normative statement.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4747710,00.html

After over a month in administrative arrest indictments have been filed against the suspected culprits in the Duma arson (where 2 year old Ali Dawabsha and his parents were murdered and 4 year old Ahmed was critically injured), no indictments were filed against Meir Ettinger who's also been put into administrative arrest shortly after the murder. No terrorism related charges apparently:

quote:

Ben-Uliel was charged with three counts of murder, two counts of attempted murder, two counts of arson, and one count of conspiring to commit a nationalistically-motivated crime.

The 17-year-old, whose name cannot be reported because he is a minor, was charged with one count of conspiring to commit a nationalistically-motivated crime. He is also suspected of involvement in the arson at Dormition Abbey.

Yinon Reuveni, 20, and another minor were charged for other violence against Palestinians.

emanresu tnuocca fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Jan 3, 2016

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
FWIW it's only really worth looking at subtle nuances when there's even a token attempt to hide blind racism and bigotry.

When official representatives come out and say that Miscegenation is wrong, that Israeli Arabs who show sympathy for other Arabs they should be denied rights of citizenship and outright denying the humanity and comparing people to rats and diseases it's really hard to find any semblance of nuance or other interpretations in that.

This isn't dog whistle racism, this is a megaphone.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

A Terrible Person posted:

Palestine's sovereignty is Schroedinger's Cat except you open the box by bombing it.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Main Paineframe posted:

The thing that stands against the arguments you're making is that if rockets weren't beneficial to anyone, why would anyone bother with them? Originally, you asked why Hamas launches rockets when you asserted that there was no benefit whatsoever to doing so. And I've answered you very simply - obviously Hamas wouldn't launch rockets if they thought there was no benefit to doing so or if they thought the downsides totally overwhelmed the benefits, so it naturally follows that at the very least they (and other Palestinian militant groups) believe that the benefits of rocket launches are worth the risks. Maybe you disagree, but that doesn't mean you're right and everyone else (ranging from internet commenters to the people actually involved on the ground) is wrong.
I think TOS is arguing that rocket fire is useless from a military and strategic perspective, and only serves to harden those factions opposed to a durable peace. Hamas launches rockets because they consider killing and terrorizing Israeli civilians a worthwhile goal, and they don't see Israeli retaliation as a downside. They are pretty open about this. Arguing that Hamas' logic is good and correct is a rather queasy idea. I'd also note that Palestinian suicide/knife/etc attacks have overwhelmingly targeted civilians.

Some people seem to think that being oppressed gives your side carte blanche to ignore certain parts of the laws of war, I disagree.

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

I believe you don't know what the word invasion means. Israeli cannot arbitrarily choose whether or not Palestine is a sovereign country. They entered a sovereign country with an army and a hostile intent. That counts as an invasion.
That goes both ways though. If the Gaza strip is a sovereign entity, digging a sapping tunnel across the border into Israel (which is what the Hamas members the Israelis killed were engaged in) is an overtly hostile act. Given Hamas' statements that the struggle with the Zionist Entity is ongoing, it's quite reasonable to say that the two parties are in an ongoing de jure state of war. Also, not every military border violation constitutes an invasion, which generally implies a long terms presence and intent to accomplish wider objectives, rather than a cross-border raid and rapid withdrawal.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Dead Reckoning posted:

I think TOS is arguing that rocket fire is useless from a military and strategic perspective, and only serves to harden those factions opposed to a durable peace. Hamas launches rockets because they consider killing and terrorizing Israeli civilians a worthwhile goal, and they don't see Israeli retaliation as a downside. They are pretty open about this. Arguing that Hamas' logic is good and correct is a rather queasy idea. I'd also note that Palestinian suicide/knife/etc attacks have overwhelmingly targeted civilians.

Some people seem to think that being oppressed gives your side carte blanche to ignore certain parts of the laws of war, I disagree.
That goes both ways though. If the Gaza strip is a sovereign entity, digging a sapping tunnel across the border into Israel (which is what the Hamas members the Israelis killed were engaged in) is an overtly hostile act. Given Hamas' statements that the struggle with the Zionist Entity is ongoing, it's quite reasonable to say that the two parties are in an ongoing de jure state of war. Also, not every military border violation constitutes an invasion, which generally implies a long terms presence and intent to accomplish wider objectives, rather than a cross-border raid and rapid withdrawal.

Terrorizing Israel as a strategy is a lot larger than Hamas. The onus comes down on Israel to change its policies if your goal is to cut support for that type of act. As it is, Israel embargoes Palestine so basic living materials have to be smuggled, they build giant fuckoff walls inside the borders of Palestinian territory claiming what's on their side of the wall as their own, to include farming land that many Palestinians relied on to make a living, and in the process, make Palestinians second class citizens in their own country. Find me a demographic of people who supported something other than the leaders who are the best at doing violence in that environment. If you're upset that people are reacting violently against your oppression, there's a very easy fix for that.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Ddraig posted:

FWIW it's only really worth looking at subtle nuances when there's even a token attempt to hide blind racism and bigotry.

When official representatives come out and say that Miscegenation is wrong, that Israeli Arabs who show sympathy for other Arabs they should be denied rights of citizenship and outright denying the humanity and comparing people to rats and diseases it's really hard to find any semblance of nuance or other interpretations in that.

This isn't dog whistle racism, this is a megaphone.

It's always worth looking at subtle nuances, even when people are openly being bigoted. There are always details, and they are always significant in some way. For example, considering that it's impossible for two people of different religions to marry within the borders of Israel, it's perhaps less surprising than you'd think that a government official saw nothing wrong with openly making an anti-miscegenation statement. Likewise, Netanyahu's statements are right in line with assimilationists throughout the modern world who deny immigrants' right to retain their own cultural identity.

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

Typically a "sovereign" country is one with complete control over its own territory, in which case Palestine is absolutely not sovereign.

Dead Reckoning posted:

I think TOS is arguing that rocket fire is useless from a military and strategic perspective, and only serves to harden those factions opposed to a durable peace.

Probably, but that's not a particularly useful observation, given that there are plenty of other important perspectives. For example, Hamas' feud with other, more violent factions fighting for control of Gaza is just as significant a factor - if Hamas renounces rocket attacks, then radicalized militant youth will be less likely to join Hamas (where they can be harnessed and controlled) and more likely to join other rocket-launching groups like Islamic Jihad (which strengthens those groups and fuels their bid for power in Gaza).

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Volkerball posted:

Terrorizing Israel as a strategy is a lot larger than Hamas. The onus comes down on Israel to change its policies if your goal is to cut support for that type of act. As it is, Israel embargoes Palestine so basic living materials have to be smuggled, they build giant fuckoff walls inside the borders of Palestinian territory claiming what's on their side of the wall as their own, to include farming land that many Palestinians relied on to make a living, and in the process, make Palestinians second class citizens in their own country. Find me a demographic of people who supported something other than the leaders who are the best at doing violence in that environment. If you're upset that people are reacting violently against your oppression, there's a very easy fix for that.

These actions predate the settlements though, Fedayeen attacks were going on in the 50s. PLO predates 1967 too.

Kim Jong Il fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jan 4, 2016

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
You'd think the Israelis would be more sympathetic to the use of terror attacks on civilians to establish your own state given their history with the Stern gang and the Irgun etc

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Kim Jong Il posted:

These actions predate the settlements though, Fedayeen attacks were going on in the 50s. PLO predates 1967 too.

Yeah, you're right, there's no reason for Israel to change anything. Eventually this strategy will work. One of these decades.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

The Insect Court posted:

But all of that nuance goes right out the window when Israel is involved. Then it's fine to talk about how those bloodthirsty, deceitful Zionists simply want to slaughter Palestinian children. And of course, any attempt to point out why that sort of characterization is problematic is met with the standard Tea Party-esque "How dare you play the anti-semitism card!" outrage.

No one can ever crticize Israeli policy, then, right? I mean, bombing, arresting, blockading, a-okay. Firing rockets in response? What a horrible atrocity. Mk82s and Hellfires, more humane than pissrockets.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Panzeh posted:

No one can ever crticize Israeli policy, then, right? I mean, bombing, arresting, blockading, a-okay. Firing rockets in response? What a horrible atrocity. Mk82s and Hellfires, more humane than pissrockets.

You can turn that around the other way though. Why should Hamas and other Palestinian militants get a free pass on exclusively targeting civilians?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

-Troika- posted:

You can turn that around the other way though. Why should Hamas and other Palestinian militants get a free pass on exclusively targeting civilians?

They're mostly targeting desert sand.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

-Troika- posted:

Generally when one side has the majority of power you assign them the majority of responsibility.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
As the manhunt for Nashat Melhem reaches its fourth day Naftali Bennett tries to dispel criticism about misconduct by the security forces and the government by completely annihilating the security rationale that is used to justify the biennial butchery in Gaza, do not expect him to be confronted with this statement during the next round:

quote:

ministers call on public to remain calm: 'The risk of car accidents is still incomparable to that of terrorism.'
read more: http://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/.premium-1.695322

In other unrelated news, reports of a massive IED explosion next to an IDF patrol adjacent to the contested Shebaa Farms in the Israel\Lebanon border, demonstrating once again that escalating poo poo with hezbollah (the Samir Kuntar assassination from a couple of weeks ago) is always a great idea. Reports of a massive artillery barrage fired by the IDF into Lebanon.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Hezbollah really isn't in a position to push the issue right now, so we'll see if there's a counter-response. Not hearing of anything yet.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Kim Jong Il posted:

Yeah, it's not like Israel ever stole Palestinian land prior to 1967.

-Troika- posted:

They shouldn't. But Israel shouldn't get a free pass on targeting civilians either, especially when they kill about a hundred times as many. Since both sides are terrible, arguments about relative morality are basically just distractions - especially when the PA acts as living proof that nonviolence, cooperation, and peaceful negotiation still just boil down to laying down and letting all your poo poo get stolen. Rather than arguing about which civilian-slaughterers are worse, it would be better to look at paths toward a future in which no one slaughters civilians - and that future must necessarily include concessions on both sides, from the very beginning. Hamas will not stop engaging in violent action against Israel unless Israel offers significant concessions of their own, and as long as Israel refuses to recognize Hamas' right to exist, they will have little reason to openly recognize any such right for the current Israeli government. I legit do not understand why so many people (on both sides of the debate) seem to have a fundamental problem with saying "the deaths of Israeli civilians are bad, the deaths of Palestinian civilians are also bad, and both sides are bad and should stop killing civilians, together, at the same time". I'm sick of arguments about who is ultimately at fault for a back-and-forth escalation of violence that has been going in for over half a century. Who the gently caress cares whose fault it is? They're both at fault, and they should both stop - and because of the feedback loop and shared fault between them, they both have to stop at the same time. Why can't anyone say "killing civilians is bad" without then stopping to assign blame and explain why it was really okay for their side to kill civilians?

In other news, how about a look at Arab and Jewish education in Israel?

http://maannews.com/Content.aspx?id=766493

quote:

Paper lanterns crafted for Ramadan are hanging over the heads of children as they run between a snack table and a cartoon playing on the television.

On first glance, this could be any other kindergarten in the city of Jaffa, where over a third of the population are Palestinians. But unlike most preschools in Israel, every sign on the wall, including the names of the children, is written in both Hebrew and Arabic.

This is one of a mere five mixed schools and preschools across all of Israel, established by Hand In Hand, an organization promoting mixed Jewish and Palestinian education in Israel.

Created in 1998, the organization now counts 1,400 students, and is opening its sixth kindergarten this fall. Half the students are Jewish while the other half are Palestinians living in Israel.

Here in Jaffa, the kindergarten was the project of a group of parents that wanted a better future both for their children and for the community at large.

One of the fathers, a Jewish-Israeli, has come to pick up his daughter to take her home. The girl runs to him showing a picture she has drawn that day, before returning to play with her friends for another few minutes.

“She invited Kareem (a Palestinian boy) to come to visit our home,” the father says proudly.

Although Palestinians living in Israel account for almost 21 percent of the population, Palestinians and Jews study separately until the end of high school. While Jewish Israelis can choose between religious and secular schools, all-Palestinian schools are usually the only option for Palestinians.

“It is a very familiar situation that Arabs and Jews grow up in the same town not meeting the other side until the age of 18, when they enter universities or the job market,” says Mohamed Marzouk, head of the community department at Hand In Hand.

All the association’s schools are bilingual, as language is seen as key to learning about other cultures. In the kindergarten, this means signing songs and listening to stories in both Arabic and Hebrew. There are always two teachers present, one communicating in each language.

Dafna Kaplan, one of the Jewish members of the parents’ committee in Jaffa, estimates that her four-year-old daughter already understands the majority of what she is told in Arabic. A long-time peace activist, the mother is now following her daughter’s footsteps and trying to learn Arabic herself.

“When we talk to the Arab sellers here in Jaffa, I can see how happy they are to see my daughter speaking Arabic-- some even come to kiss her,” Kaplan says.

But the students at Hand in Hand represent only a fraction of Israeli society. According to Kaplan, about 150 children had to be refused admittance to the Jaffa kindergarten for lack of space. Marzouk estimates that all the mixed schools have a queue of students hoping to get registered.

Some of the Palestinian parents in Jaffa chose the mixed school in the hope of a better education system, as all-Palestinian schools suffer under-investment from the Israeli state.

According to a report from Adalah, an Israeli group promoting Palestinian rights in Israel, the state in 2004 allocated three times more funding to Jewish students than to Palestinians. For Palestinian schools, this means crowded classrooms, poor facilities, and fewer hours of teaching per student.

Even so, some believe that separate schools are the only way to preserve the Arabic language.

“It is a separation that the Arabs are not rejecting. What would we do if everything was taught in Hebrew?” says Sawsan Zaher, director of Social and Economic Rights Unit at Adalah. “It is also a way to employ Arab teachers.”

For the Jewish children, mixed schools offer a rare opportunity to study Arabic from an early age, while all Palestinians living in Israel start Hebrew lessons in the second grade. But Marzouk thinks that having Hebrew-speaking classmates makes a big difference for the Palestinian students.

“In all-Arab schools, we learn Hebrew only technically, as we don’t learn about the Jewish culture and traditions that come with it,” he says.

Recognized as part of the official education system, Hand In Hand institutions follow the national curriculum. But during extra classes, the students learn about the three monotheistic religions: Judaism, Christianity, and Islam. At the kindergarten in Jaffa, for example, the children have days off for all the religious holidays.

While most of the Jewish students at mixed schools come from families from the political left, Marzouk says there are some “surprising” cases of religious families and even right-wing supporters.

“What unites them is that they are all open to the idea of living together,” he says.

In all-Palestinian schools in Israel, lessons about Palestinian culture are largely missing. Instead, preserving the Jewish nature of the state of Israel is legally defined as the primary objective of the education system, according to Adalah.

Although the needs of the Palestinian minority ought to be “acknowledged”, the rights group says few Palestinians in Israel are involved in designing the national curriculum, which is entirely controlled by the Israeli Ministry of Education.

“The schools teach only the Jewish narrative of history,” Zaher says.

Hand In Hand's mixed schools are trying to change this. At high school, for example, students are also taught the Palestinian version of what happened in 1948. For Israelis, the year marks independence, while Palestinians commemorate it as the “Nakba”, or catastrophe, which led to the loss of their lands and the expulsion of hundreds of thousands of refugees.

According to Marzouk, the Israeli state does not forbid the teaching of Nakba, although it is widely understood as a “non-recommended” subject among the principals of regular Palestinian schools. As a result, the vast majority of Palestinians are not learning their own history.

A different approach has sometimes led Hand in Hand's schools into trouble. On Israel's Independence Day, for instance, the Tel Aviv municipality criticized the kindergarten in Jaffa for not raising the Israeli flag.

Last November, two classrooms of the school in Jerusalem were set on fire and anti-Arab graffiti was sprayed on the walls.

A more long-term struggle is in finding enough financing for the schools to operate. As only 30 percent of the funding comes from the Israeli state, the rest has to be covered by tuition fees and private donations.

“Every year, we need to start reassuring our existence,” Marzouk says. “It is not easy.”

In Jaffa, the kindergarten has been fighting to get new space for the increasing number of classes. According to Kaplan, local authorities have always granted a new location at the last minute -- despite the fact that several buildings stand empty nearby.

So far, only one mixed school in Jerusalem covers grades until the end of high school. As there is no all-Palestinian university in Israel, students from the Palestinian community often find it harder than their Jewish counterparts to enter higher education.

A 2013 report by Mossawa, an advocacy center for Palestinian citizens of Israel, states that only 10 percent of those obtaining a Bachelor’s degree are Palestinian. No Israeli university offers teaching in Arabic, forcing Arabic-speaking students to choose from a few programs at colleges or look into studying abroad.

Mostly exempted from the Israeli military service, Palestinian students are also not eligible for financial assistance given to those who have served in the army.

“Some courses in psychology and medicine, for example, have age restrictions that make them available only for those who have finished their service,” Zaher says.

In the long run, lower investment in the education of Palestinian children living in Israel will decrease the economic potential of the whole country, Adalah estimates.

“Education is the first step to a better quality of life. This under-investment will affect the Arab population for generations to come,” Zaher says.

In their current form, separate systems also maintain the inequality between Israeli Jews and Palestinians. While the mixed schools aim to plant seeds of tolerance, one community at a time, for Hand In Hand, making peace between Israelis and Palestinians seems like a far-fetched goal.

“I am not naive to think that even 20 mixed schools would change such a long conflict,“ Marzouk says. “But I know that this is the model of the future: knowing the history and culture of the other.”

Kaplan, the mother of two from Jaffa, sees mixed schools as the only way to reach mutual understanding -- even under rocket fire from the Gaza Strip.

“When the summer started, my daughter asked me if a new war was coming. For her, summer equaled war,” Kaplan says.

“This school is the only hope we have."

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Hamas and other militant groups in Gaza are already recognized internationally as terrorist groups, while Israel receives huge amounts of military aid and diplomatic support from western nations. If they are morally equivalent we should change our foreign policies to be a lot less pro-Israel.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Volkerball posted:

Yeah, you're right, there's no reason for Israel to change anything. Eventually this strategy will work. One of these decades.

Not what I said. Removing settlements isn't going to be a panacea to end violence because that doesn't change a giant plurality of people not accepting the 1948 under any circumstances, or even any presence for some.

Main Paineframe posted:

Sure, just like Palestinians stole land in East Jerusalem and Hebron.

Nevvy Z posted:

Generally when one side has the majority of power you assign them the majority of responsibility.

But they're a democracy. Abbas and Hamas have the power to unilaterally impose change.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Kim Jong Il posted:

But they're a democracy. Abbas and Hamas have the power to unilaterally impose change.

I'm not sure where to start with this :psyduck:

How about
1: unilaterally imposition is the opposite of democracy, even for elected leaders
2: Abbas and HAMAS aren't acting unilaterally in the first place, and when they try to make amends, it is considered casus belli by Israel
3: Abbas DOESN'T have as much power as he wished, he would be perfectly happy to actually pacify the West Bank if it didn't trheaten him

etc

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

eSports Chaebol posted:

I'm not sure where to start with this :psyduck:

How about
1: unilaterally imposition is the opposite of democracy, even for elected leaders
2: Abbas and HAMAS aren't acting unilaterally in the first place, and when they try to make amends, it is considered casus belli by Israel
3: Abbas DOESN'T have as much power as he wished, he would be perfectly happy to actually pacify the West Bank if it didn't trheaten him

etc

He's saying that Israel is a democracy, and either because of the weakness of democracy or the perfidy of its citizens, is incapable of making the first steps toward peace. So, while there's quite a bit to unpack in those assumptions, it only works if he means what he says, rather than it being a way to avoid some horrific conclusions.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
Hamas was voted in though :psyduck:

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

Hamas was voted in though :psyduck:

Like I said, questioning his facts or assumptions won't mean much if this is just a way to put the blame on the Palestinians or declare that both sides have equal responsibility without any of the conclusions you'd derive from believing in that and observing the situation.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Volkerball posted:

Terrorizing Israel as a strategy is a lot larger than Hamas. The onus comes down on Israel to change its policies if your goal is to cut support for that type of act.
:psyduck: That's insane. You can't say, "hey, if Israel doesn't want their citizens deliberately targeted for murder, maybe they should stop angering people who murder civilians" and expect people to take it as a serious & moral argument. Hamas and the other factions that perpetuate attacks against Israeli civilians have agency too.

Nevvy Z posted:

That's not at all how it works at all. Winning a war doesn't make the winning side morally responsible for the other side's war crimes.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I think it's less angering and more making millions of people live lives of misery to ensure your ethnic superiority in a region

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Dead Reckoning posted:

:psyduck: That's insane. You can't say, "hey, if Israel doesn't want their citizens deliberately targeted for murder, maybe they should stop angering people who murder civilians" and expect people to take it as a serious & moral argument. Hamas and the other factions that perpetuate attacks against Israeli civilians have agency too.

That's not at all how it works at all. Winning a war doesn't make the winning side morally responsible for the other side's war crimes.

This isn't remotely a war. It's not so much a fight as a man killing a caged opponent with a knife. Slowly. For fun.

It's a cop kicking a man in the face as punishment for moving while another cop pokes him all over with a pin.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jan 5, 2016

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Dead Reckoning posted:

So France was justified in the use of torture in the Algerian War of Independence, because the FLN could have stopped at any time and surrendered? I think that this line of thinking is one that leads to inevitable and total pacifism, which is an interesting but not particularly fruitful philosophy.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
No one has a monopoly on suffering! Hamas deliberately killed civilians to aid Likud's rise and escalate the conflict. Israeli voters are scarred and radicalized by violence. Due to non-Zionist parties refusing to be in coalitions with Zionist parties, Likud currently has a monopoly on the premiership. Therefore, any concessions are unrealistic from the Israeli side as it would cause a Likud government to fall. Meanwhile, there hasn't been a Palestinian election in a decade and that one was instantly ignored. Hamas and Fatah rule by fiat.

As a descriptive statement, the only way there's going to be any movement on peace in the near future is from their side. I don't see why that's controversial. Hamas is clearly angling to open up Gaza and offering concessions. You would probably freely admit that Likud isn't currently interested in peace were we dealing with another context. Therefore, the notion that the onus is on Israel to move the conflict along is false. That bad argument also directly leads to "X is worse than Y, therefore Y should never do anything ever," and you clearly don't agree with that.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Cat Mattress posted:

They're mostly targeting desert sand.

What they're targeting are Jews, but you knew that of course.

Main Paineframe posted:

Is this your tacit endorsement of the balls-to-the-wall full throttle Death To Israel position? Calling Israel inside the pre-1967 borders stolen land makes it pretty obvious where one stands. Always strikes me as kind of disingenuous when someone complains about how those darn Israelis won't compromise for peace when what they want to see is not any sort of compromise or two-state solution but the eradication of the state of Israel.

Nevvy Z posted:

This isn't remotely a war. It's not so much a fight as a man killing a caged opponent with a knife. Slowly. For fun.

Must I really point out the irony of using the metaphor of stabbing someone to death with a knife given recent events in the region?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

The Insect Court posted:

Must I really point out the irony of using the metaphor of stabbing someone to death with a knife given recent events in the region?

It doesn't matter.

Waa the caged man bit me, hit him again!

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
The Israeli government is suddenly holding talks about how to respond to a potential collapse of the PA. I haven't seen anything new that particularly justifies the sudden wave of concerns and rumors, other than the slowly intensifying crackdowns and downsides within the West Bank over the past few months. However, evidence is growing that the fall of the PA is a "when" question rather than an "if" question, so it seems like the center-left is trying to make it a political issue now in order to blame Netanyahu for failing to either prepare for it or act to prevent it. The PA is loudly denying all reports that their regime is in any danger, but no one with any sense is buying it.

The Knesset, in an effort to combat Israel's ongoing economic woes, high poverty rate, and mounting inequality, has cut the corporate tax rate. Yeah, good luck with that.

The current UN Human Rights Council special investigator into Palestinian human rights has resigned because, despite having held the post for a year and a half, Israel hasn't allowed him to visit the West Bank even once. His successor is unlikely to be any more successful, as Israel takes issue with the very existence of the post - the only UN HRC special investigator post indefinitely assigned to a single country. Israel has denied other human rights investigators on less reasonable grounds, however - the UN HRC investigator for women's rights was prevented from visiting the West Bank last year because her request and itinerary did not reflect the Foreign Ministry's view that there was "no such country" as Palestine and the West Bank was part of Israel.

The IDF has backed down from a plan to put special numbered stickers on the ID cards of Palestinians who live near the Jewish area of Hebron after it was compared repeatedly and loudly to a certain regime's treatment of certain minorities. The intent appears to have been to speed up the identification of residents - in an attempt to reduce the opportunities for violence, those neighborhoods are currently defined as "closed military areas" that no Palestinians are allowed to enter except for the ones who already live there, but actually checking the residency of every Palestinian that enters turned out to be too slow and time-consuming and therefore the IDF is looking for a way to streamline this entry check.

A Palestinian taxi driver has been sent to the hospital after being stopped and beaten by armed settlers.

Two Israeli Arabs were forced to disembark from an Aegean Airlines flight to Israel after a number of Israeli Jewish passengers refused to allow the plane to take off, demanding repeated security checks and generally being obstructive pains in the rear end. Even after the Arabs were removed from the plane, the passengers continued to prevent the takeoff and demand further security checks until the captain threatened to kick them all off the plane.
http://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/1.695633

quote:

Israeli passengers on a recent Aegean Airlines flight from Greece to Israel forced the cabin crew to remove two Israeli Arabs from the flight before allowing it to take off, according to a report by Israel Radio.

The incident occurred at Athens airport on Monday night, when Jewish Israeli passengers decided that the two Israeli Arab passengers on the flight constituted a security risk. After bringing their concern to the attention of the crew, they prevented the flight from taking off by standing in the aisles.

The two Israeli Arabs finally acceded to crew requests that they disembark, in return for a hotel room and compensation.

According to the airline, “an initially small group” of passengers “very vocally and persistently” demanded that two Israeli Arab citizens be “checked for security issues.”

With the flight unable to take off, the captain called the airport police, who checked the “documents and identities” of the two passengers and found nothing amiss.

But by then, “a much larger group of passengers” had begun protesting the presence of the two Israeli Arabs, “despite the assurances given by the crew, according to Aegean Airlines.”

The flight was delayed by more than an hour-and-a-half until the two Israeli Arab passengers agreed to disembark. Even after that, the group of passengers insisted that the crew conduct an additional security check, causing the captain to warn them that they would be forcibly removed from the plane without compensation.

At that point, the passengers took their seats and the plane took off for Tel Aviv.

"We again thank the two Israeli passengers who agreed to disembark for their understanding and collaboration and we apologize for the whole episode, which was indeed extremely unfortunate,” the Aegean Airlines spokesman said.

MK Michal Rozin (Meretz) called for an urgent meeting of the Economic Affairs Committee to discuss the incident. 

"The State of Israel has a responsibility to its citizens," Rozin argued. "I can't be that a commercial company, which has signed aviation agreements with Israel, allows itself to disembark passengers based on their physical appearance at the demands of (other) passengers."

Rozin continued, placing blame for the incident on government leaders, saying that "the prime minister and his ministers sow fear and hate through slander and incitement, and this is the result. The government must understand that marking Israeli-Arab citizens as potential terrorists leads to the loss of morals and values that endangers our future as a society."

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

rscott posted:

I think it's less angering and more making millions of people live lives of misery to ensure your ethnic superiority in a region
That doesn't have anything to do with deliberately targeting civilians though, unless you want to argue that all Israeli citizens can be justly killed because of their government's policies.

Nevvy Z posted:

It's a cop kicking a man in the face as punishment for moving while another cop pokes him all over with a pin.
Even this really awful metaphor still doesn't justify your position, because randomly killing the families of officers from that department isn't moral.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I categorically deny the utility of targeting civilians but that doesn't mean I'm going to ignore the ridiculous understatement that you've made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I don't know if anyone else is watching the frontline show Netanyahu's War on PBS but it doesn't paint him in a good light at all, in a very personal way.