Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

stefania_r posted:

:magical: That's cold, even for Donald J. Trump.

It's cold, but I think it's at least somewhat understandable?

It seems he absolutely hated his brother, and (possibly) screwed him out of the will. From the sound of it, though, it's perfectly possible no screwing happened at all except for his brother screwing himself and his own family over with his substance abuse. Still, let's assume that he pissed Trump off badly enough that Trump bumped him out of the will.
Regardless of how much he hated his brother, he was still giving his nephew and his nephew's family money out of generosity, trying to be the better man sort of situation. From his point of view, he was doing the right thing for his brother's family, far more than his brother ever earned or deserved.
If there's one thing Trump seems to hate, it's getting backstabbed, and that's basically what happened next - they rewarded his generosity with accusations and lawsuit.

Okay, so it might be petty, but... would you be particularly keen on giving money to people who are actively suing you, and not just suing you but making some pretty nasty accusations in the process? Even if they need the cash, that's gotta hurt.

It really does demonstrate how vindictive Trump can be to people he perceives as having betrayed him in some way though. I wonder how badly he wants to kill Cruz right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Brannock posted:

Spoken as someone who has never dealt with an alcoholic family member.

You have to kill their kids, just to be sure.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
im beginning to think the trump fella is kind of an rear end in a top hat

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

TheTatteredKing posted:

lol

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
I guess we know Trump's solution to Obamacare's problems: Yoogest, most luxurious death panels. I'm talkin' pure mahogany. Miss Universe herself gets the final say. People will be lining up around the block to go in front of Trump's death panels.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

The wrong part is that the people don't already understand that.

trump bettering those people

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

Jewel Repetition posted:

God I want Trump to win Iowa so bad. Oddsmakers still give him a chance, even if the odds are worse than 3 to 1 favoring Cruz, 538 thinks he has a smart ground game, combine that with the 2 weeks people remember ads and the fact that most Iowans haven't made up their minds yet, and MAYBE. I'm hoping and praying and crossing fingers.

Interesting about Trump's ground game. Last month all we heard about his ground game in Iowa was that it was a mess, but this 538 article is the second one I've read today that refutes that claim.

http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/264526-thirty-days-to-iowa-candidates-make-final-sprint

quote:

Trump, meanwhile, has a terrifying message for his rivals.

“I have spent very little (and am in 1st place),” Trump tweeted this week. “Now I will spend big in Iowa/N.H./S.C.”

The long-time front-runner is reportedly preparing an ad blitz that could reach $2 million a week in the state. Paid advertising hasn’t moved the needle much this cycle, but could help put Trump, who has already benefitted greatly from outsized media attention, over the top.

Republicans say that Trump’s ground game, which has been the source of intense speculation, is the real deal. That’s critical, as Trump is banking on turning out a diverse coalition of caucus-goers that haven’t historically participated in the process.

A poor showing in Iowa could doom Trump, as his flashy polling numbers and record of “winning” are central to his pitch.

“He’s definitely for real out here,” said one Iowa Republican official who requested anonymity. “The question is whether the people they’ve identified as supporters will turn out. I’m not convinced they will, but if he can turn out just half of them he could blow the top off this thing.”

The article above echoes a lot of what's said in the 538 article: Cruz has the best ground game and will most likely take Iowa, but Trump has a very strong ground game and will most likely stay competitive... If his voters show up.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

GlyphGryph posted:

It seems he absolutely hated his brother, and (possibly) screwed him out of the will. From the sound of it, though, it's perfectly possible no screwing happened at all except for his brother screwing himself and his own family over with his substance abuse. Still, let's assume that he pissed Trump off badly enough that Trump bumped him out of the will.
Regardless of how much he hated his brother, he was still giving his nephew and his nephew's family money out of generosity, trying to be the better man sort of situation. From his point of view, he was doing the right thing for his brother's family, far more than his brother ever earned or deserved.
If there's one thing Trump seems to hate, it's getting backstabbed, and that's basically what happened next - they rewarded his generosity with accusations and lawsuit.

Okay, so it might be petty, but... would you be particularly keen on giving money to people who are actively suing you, and not just suing you but making some pretty nasty accusations in the process? Even if they need the cash, that's gotta hurt.

It really does demonstrate how vindictive Trump can be to people he perceives as having betrayed him in some way though. I wonder how badly he wants to kill Cruz right now.

You're speaking like it was Trumps money. It wasn't it was their mutual father's. From the article, that money had specifically been sit aside by his father for the medical bills, and Trump by his own admission hosed with that money because trump personally felt betrayed. Trump is 100% in the wrong here.

Can't believe people are actually surprised by it though. Just listen to him speak for ten minutes and you can tell the guy is 100% the type of jackass who would do something like this.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

H5N1 posted:

It's 2016 and I still can't believe how excited I am about the Jeb campaign!

So are they still trying to call that 'excitement'? I heard it was to indicate that he spoke Spanish and was going to suck in massive amounts of Hispanic voters (into his formerly-gaping maw)

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

dr_rat posted:

You're speaking like it was Trumps money. It wasn't it was their mutual father's. From the article, that money had specifically been sit aside by his father for the medical bills, and Trump by his own admission hosed with that money because trump personally felt betrayed. Trump is 100% in the wrong here.

Can't believe people are actually surprised by it though. Just listen to him speak for ten minutes and you can tell the guy is 100% the type of jackass who would do something like this.

Luckily no politically savvy leaders of other countries have any idea how to deal with somebody who has no political chops, a huge ego, and the thinnest skin on earth

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven
Trump is like Berlusconi, Rob Ford, and 1985 alternative timeline Biff Tannen... If they were a reality TV gameshow host.

Truly the absurdist candidate of my dreams.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

TheTatteredKing posted:

Well there's your Republican attack ad - "Donald Trump says he would treat ISIS like his own brother".

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Brannock posted:

Spoken as someone who has never dealt with an alcoholic family member.

I'm pretty sure the infant wasn't the alcoholic in this scenario.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

don't respond to Brannock, ya'll.

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice

blue squares posted:

don't respond to Brannock, ya'll.

why?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Respond to everyone, imo.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

GlyphGryph posted:

This would maybe work in a disgusting, still super cruel, way if it was, ya know, his money.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Tatum Girlparts posted:

This would maybe work in a disgusting, still super cruel, way if it was, ya know, his money.

Trump also has two living sisters including one sister who is an Appeals Court judge who could've had an influence over the will.

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Trump's brother was a free spirited alcoholic, who lived free and died young. So Trump manipulated his father into leaving his brother out of Trump Sr.'s will. When his nieces and nephews sued, Trump took away the funds for his baby nephew's cerebral palsy out of spite.

this is the true Art of the Deal

Digiwizzard
Dec 23, 2003

Pork Pro
it just presages trump's future programs of weeding out lebensunwertes leben to make america great again

Digiwizzard fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Jan 3, 2016

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

at least you'll be rich for the split-second the golden bullet travels through your skull

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Jewel Repetition posted:

Like a lot of people, I'm very worried about what Trump's Iowa loss will do. His whole appeal is that he's a winner, that's unstumpable, but what of those when he's lost and stumped?

Iowa's a bunch of losers. Terrible people. No one should care what they think.
We'll make America great again. Except Iowa. Such a low energy state.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Trump's first executive order will involve kicking Iowa out of the Union.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

TheTatteredKing posted:

I wonder how many Trump supporters would benefit from a minimum wage increase. But as we know wages are too high.

Trick question: the answer is "all of them"

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Fulchrum posted:

Well there's your Republican attack ad - "Donald Trump says he would treat ISIS like his own brother".

lol

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

GlyphGryph posted:

What has Cruz said about Trump that's so bad? They have to at least pretend they are campaigning against each other. Whatever gentlemans agreement the 2 reached, they are both abiding by it to a tee.

jerk1000
Dec 3, 2014

The Nastier Nate posted:

What has Cruz said about Trump that's so bad?

He said in a private donors' meeting that he didn't think Trump had the judgment to be president, but would give him a 'big ol bear hug' in public (instead of criticizing him) because it would work to his political advantage.

jerk1000 fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jan 3, 2016

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

jerk1000 posted:

He said in a private donors' meeting that he didn't think Trump had the judgment to be president, but would give him a 'big ol bear hug' in public (instead of criticizing him) because it would work to his political advantage.

In the era of "chaos candidates" and "total disasters" That sounds like the nicest thing anyone has said about Trump all cycle.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
will there be polls today. i need POLLS.

so glad the stupid holidays are over and we can get back to business

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

He's MIGF's understudy

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Lote posted:

Trump also has two living sisters including one sister who is an Appeals Court judge who could've had an influence over the will.

2016 Republican Primary: Triumph of Dad's Will

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

blue squares posted:

He's MIGF's understudy

It checks out

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

blue squares posted:

He's MIGF's understudy

Definitely not.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I was following this really closely until maybe early December. What did Trump do to lose his lead, making Cruz the leader (a development I have figured out by reading the last 2 pages)? Was it the most recent republican debate, and/or stuff that happened elsewhere?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

redreader posted:

I was following this really closely until maybe early December. What did Trump do to lose his lead, making Cruz the leader (a development I have figured out by reading the last 2 pages)? Was it the most recent republican debate, and/or stuff that happened elsewhere?

Cruz won the endorsement of a lot of evangelical leaders in Iowa, plus Rep. Steve King.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

redreader posted:

Cruz is only ahead (maybe) in Iowa. Trump still leads nationally.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

I wanna be fishmech's understudy but I'm not the smartest boy in America

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Zelder posted:

I wanna be fishmech's understudy but I'm not the smartest boy in America

But are you the second smartest boy in America?

Dogstoyevsky
Oct 9, 2012

If there is no Dog, everything is permitted
Jesus Rubio get it together, are we walking into a Trump v Cruz endgame?

E: lol I know there's still been no voting but this is driving me bonkers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

It looks like Cruz basically picked up all of Carsons lost support in Iowa, while Trump has been pretty flat.

• Locked thread