Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Internet Webguy posted:

If a British cartoonist shows preference to a specific politician, even over another, is considered both propaganda and treason of satire.

Pretty much. Steve Bell made a couple of cartoons that looked like they were actually supporting Corbyn and it just felt a bit weird, really:

Cartoons over here rarely stray from pure hatred or, at best, contempt. They will sometimes be in favour of an idea but generally express it by mocking those who oppose it. Which a lot of the non-shill American cartoonists do as well, really, so I guess we just don't have the right conditions for shill cartoonists to thrive over here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

It seems like British cartoons are more caustic than the US, but maybe that's me.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
We do tend to have a lot more poo poo and piss everywhere, so there's that at the very least

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Angepain posted:

I guess we just don't have the right conditions for shill cartoonists to thrive over here.

Oh come on, The Daily Mail thrives over there, don't give me that.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Trogdos! posted:

Took me a while to realize that this is not a Ramirez 'toon.

Took me your post and a second look to realize that.

I would have been surprised if, given Kirschen's overall skill level, he had heard about the 180° rule.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Yeesh, E N O S really needs to stay away from labels.

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

Eschatos posted:

I saw this a few weeks ago and was amused, looks like 7oden's found a famous patron.

I'm so not surprised a hack like Seth MacFarlane is jumping on the "anti-SJW" bandwagon.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Dr Cheeto posted:

Some politoon posters felt that depicting the kids as monkeys was not a good thing, but it's clearly an attack on the way Cruz used his kids and not the kids themselves.

The right is siding with him because bad-mouthing the liberal media is a great thing to do in a presidential primary and they do it at every opportunity, including during the debates directly to the mouthpieces of the networks they're lambasting.

He's using the old Nixon playbook: Take insincere offense and demand apologies whenever possible.

Hunter S. Thompson compared it to a badger, but I think we need a more loathsome metaphor for this behavior.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

Captain Bravo posted:

Oh come on, The Daily Mail thrives over there, don't give me that.

Yeah but even Mac rarely seems to show support for politicans themselves.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Cruel and Unusual posted:

He's using the old Nixon playbook: Take insincere offense and demand apologies whenever possible.

Hunter S. Thompson compared it to a badger, but I think we need a more loathsome metaphor for this behavior.

"acting like Nixon" is probably good enough by that metric

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

How do you get more loathsome than already being Ted Cruz?

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

^^ This says it better than I did.

That sounds like kissing cousins with "concern trolling," even if that's not precisely the right term. Apology trolling? Or in Ted Cruz's honor, we could call it "eating your own poo poo and demanding everyone else try some too, it's delicious guys, I MADE IT MYSELF YOU UNGRATEFUL FUCKS."

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

UrbicaMortis posted:

Yeah but even Mac rarely seems to show support for politicans themselves.

I suspect Mac is given his subject and told what to say about it.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
Have an album of most of Pope's 2015 toons

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

It's probably the result of being too jaded but man I wish I could hate a politician the way Pope hates Tony Abbott :allears:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

I ❤️ Pope

Cpt.Americant
Mar 30, 2010

DarklyDreaming posted:

It's probably the result of being too jaded but man I wish I could hate a politician the way Pope hates Tony Abbott :allears:

Not sure hate is quite the right word. Or if it is hate, it's a very restrained and civilized hate. Ramirez or Bok, you can feel their hatred oozing off the page. It's like you can almost feel their hands trembling with inconsolable rage when you look at their work sometimes. I don't get that at all from Pope, but maybe his art is just so drat lovable it's very well hidden. He clearly is not a fan of Abbott, but I'm not sure he wakes up in the middle of the night in rage sweats the way a lot of the other regulars seem like they might.

And let's also be fair, Abbott is kind of a caricature already.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Horrible little frog gremlin Abbott was also pretty much always doing something related to some news instead of just saying "pee pee poo poo Abbott bad" into a vacuum every day so that helped.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Cpt.Americant posted:

To put this in context from inside Australia, pretty much every cartoonist portrayed Abbott as a speedo-clad big-eared goblin man, and his political nickname for decades has been "the Mad Monk".

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015
What's the deal with Pope depicting himself in a rabbit suit?

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

cram me sideways posted:

What's the deal with Pope depicting himself in a rabbit suit?

it's a either a kangaroo, wallaby, or a bilby. note the pouch

Zetsubou-san fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jan 3, 2016

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Here, just randomly, is a picture of President Dwight Eisenhower playing golf.

quote:

Eisenhower was a golf enthusiast later in life, and joined the Augusta National Golf Club in 1948. He played golf frequently during and after his presidency and was unreserved in expressing his passion for the game, to the point of golfing during winter, and ordered his golf balls painted black so he could see them better against snow on the ground. He had a small, basic golf facility installed at Camp David, and became close friends with the Augusta National Chairman Clifford Roberts, inviting Roberts to stay at the White House on several occasions; Roberts, an investment broker, also handled the Eisenhower family's investments. Roberts also advised Eisenhower on tax aspects of publishing his memoirs, which proved financially lucrative.

That said, Obama is bad and a Democrat and black, so the golf thing is much more nefarious now.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Well Eisenhower wasn't dealing with an existential threat to the US like ISIS, so of course he had plenty of time to go golfing.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Speaking of existential threats to the US, Grover Norquist just said a thing:

https://twitter.com/GroverNorquist/status/683425783470239744

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Abyssal Squid posted:

Speaking of existential threats to the US, Grover Norquist just said a thing:

https://twitter.com/GroverNorquist/status/683425783470239744

It's hard to believe it's not a joke, even if it otherwise is exactly what he really believes.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

DarklyDreaming posted:

That mix of artistic talent and total contempt only comes by every once in a while.

That Old Tree posted:

It's hard to believe it's not a joke, even if it otherwise is exactly what he really believes.

It is a joke, Norquist is known for his dry humor.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

That Old Tree posted:

That wasn't even the stupidest thing he said today, earlier in the afternoon he tweeted that if you wanted to see Obama's vision for America, imagine star wars where only the stormtroopers have guns.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
Why is 'Obama' grey?

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Wait I skipped this one the first time, what is it even supposed to say? Other than "hurp a durp RADICAL ISLAM GONNA KILL U FOREVER." There WEREN'T any New Year's Eve attacks, and even in world of the cartoon nobody's getting hurt. Those rockets are unmistakably fireworks and not ordinance. If anything, it'd be the USA ship's fault for putting itself in the rockets' path way for no reason.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I want to compile a list of all the things he has said that are at least close enough for ME to "Islamic terrorists", but Tinsley isn't worth the effort.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Cpt.Americant posted:

Not sure hate is quite the right word. Or if it is hate, it's a very restrained and civilized hate. Ramirez or Bok, you can feel their hatred oozing off the page. It's like you can almost feel their hands trembling with inconsolable rage when you look at their work sometimes. I don't get that at all from Pope, but maybe his art is just so drat lovable it's very well hidden. He clearly is not a fan of Abbott, but I'm not sure he wakes up in the middle of the night in rage sweats the way a lot of the other regulars seem like they might.

You can't list cartoonists who have hatred seeping through their cartoons without mentioning Branco. The way he draws every single living thing in his cartoons shows a seething hatred for the entire world in general. I would actually be surprised if 1 in 10 of his comics contained someone smiling, or even displaying a humanised facial expression (I would do the research myself, but I don't know if my soul could handle it).

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Cpt.Americant posted:

No, no, you're missing the point. That genteel kind of hate is exactly what he's saying, he wishes he could hate someone in that low-key, nemesis sort of way.

Think Dr. Venture and the Monarch. That kind of hate. It's something we all could do with in our lives. :allears:

Hitler B. Natural
Feb 11, 2014

First Lang of 2016

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Just what I like in my saccharine New Year's toons: DEATH

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Samurai Sanders posted:

I want to compile a list of all the things he has said that are at least close enough for ME to "Islamic terrorists", but Tinsley isn't worth the effort.

You could tattoo the list to his forehead and it still wouldn't matter: Tinsley is such a GOP shill, that nothing could ever make him admit something non-negative about a democrat. Even if he has to completely imagine a slight or harp on the most petty of word choice, he'll do it just to score some kind of point over Obama. That's without the racism and booze clouding his endlessly bitter mind.

Let's just hope that the year he finally drinks himself to death comes soon.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Jan 3, 2016

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Iranelex! At the end of February, elections will be held for the Assembly of Experts. This is the body that selects the next Supreme Leader upon his death. To run, you must pass a vetting process by the Guardian Council, which is composed of men personally chosen by the current Supreme Leader. This isn't very transparent or fair, and loyalty comes first and foremost, to ensure the continuation of the principles of the revolution. This cartoon is about the qualification process.

And here our experts have gathered to choose the next Supreme Leader.

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015

Zetsubou-san posted:

it's a either a kangaroo, wallaby, or a bilby. note the pouch

Regardless - what's the deal?

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Pope is interested in the conservation of native wildlife, plus the pouch full of art supplies is a good gag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lustful Man Hugs posted:

You can't list cartoonists who have hatred seeping through their cartoons without mentioning Branco. The way he draws every single living thing in his cartoons shows a seething hatred for the entire world in general. I would actually be surprised if 1 in 10 of his comics contained someone smiling, or even displaying a humanised facial expression (I would do the research myself, but I don't know if my soul could handle it).
I think the only person to ever smile in a Branco cartoon loved America and Israel,, Apple Pie and Ice Cream.

Actually, there is one kind of smile that is featured in Branco toons frequently: the evil smile, usually belonging to a smelly Muslkm delighted at Obama's actions.

• Locked thread