Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I watched the The Clone Wars recommended by goons arc the Darkness on Umbara? I think it is called. It's really good. Basically a Vietnam War style view of the Clone Troopers.

Star Wars : Rebels is poo poo htough sorry :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
My little cousin is watching Rebels and Clone wars at the same time (hasn't seen the movies yet) and is convinced that Anakin is going to Kill Darth Vader later on :3:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Jedit posted:

By which you mean Dooku's actual sabre. Most light "sabres" are shaped and used like Japanese swords, but Christopher Lee was a trained sabre fencer and insisted that his sword be shaped and used like the real weapon. As such it's the best sabre in the movies, by dint of being the only sabre in the movies.

Also while the Dooku sabre fighting scenes in the prequels are as predictably poo poo as all of the others, in TCW when he fights he actually looks and moves like a fencing master who is way too good for his opponent 8 times out of 10, surrounded by spinny poo poo Jedi who aren't on his level.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

My little cousin is watching Rebels and Clone wars at the same time (hasn't seen the movies yet) and is convinced that Anakin is going to Kill Darth Vader later on :3:

This is going to be like the pure inverse experience of learning that Santa Claus isn't real.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Barudak posted:

This is going to be like the pure inverse experience of learning that Santa Claus isn't real.

:lol:

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I've always wondered, does John Williams re-record the main Star Wars title crawl theme for every soundtrack? Or do they just use the original 77 version for it? If not can you hear minor differences?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Make sure to act really shocked when they discover it.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I've always wondered, does John Williams re-record the main Star Wars title crawl theme for every soundtrack? Or do they just use the original 77 version for it? If not can you hear minor differences?

It's different every time. You can hear differences. If you have a music streaming service, check them all out.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Barudak posted:

Yeah, and I don't have the heart to tell her that her favorite hero becomes her most hated bad guy

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
You should just never show them the prequels and then have TFA be the first film they see.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

I'm guessing that she hasn't gotten to the Mortis arc yet? They layer the foreshadowing on pretty thickly in that.

Also, EW has some high-res pics of Snoke (and Maz) for the folks upthread who wanted some not-camripped ones of him.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

There's certain amount resemblance between the two. That's very interesting when you consider that in the early concept stages, Maz was a 1,000 year old force user, which almost sounds just like Snoke.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Motto posted:

I like it, because it means Ben had to spend the whole ride to Jakku explaining to his friends how dropping the kid off was totally more evil and Sith than just killing her.

Luckily JJ Abrams explains away this awkward moment by depicting hyperspace travel as near-instantaneous in TFA.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Jose Oquendo posted:

There's certain amount resemblance between the two. That's very interesting when you consider that in the early concept stages, Maz was a 1,000 year old force user, which almost sounds just like Snoke.

Maz is a 1000 year old force user :eng101:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mameluke posted:

Luckily JJ Abrams explains away this awkward moment by depicting hyperspace travel as near-instantaneous in TFA.

No he doesn't, there are literally scenes that take place during hyperspace travel, like the one where they see the incomplete map and Han talks about the Force.

If you mean they don't have lengthy hyperspace scenes for every trip you are correct and neither do any of the other films.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Jerkface posted:

Maz is a 1000 year old force user :eng101:

She both felt kinda under-utilized and over the top. Like I felt like she could have used some more screen time, but then you have stuff like the scene where she crawls all over the table to stare at Finn, and it just feels too over-the-top for what was a basic comparison to Han.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
She'll be back I'm sure.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

cargohills posted:

They should hire Temuera Morrison and stick him in a suit or have him do voice-over only and then never show his face.

Have him do the VO, and then in the last shot have Boba take his helmet off to reveal a woman, and maybe reveal that 'Boba Fett' has been a Dread Pirate Roberts-esque name for years. The Internet would explode.

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Jan 3, 2016

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Bottom Liner posted:

Keep us apprised of this adorable situation.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bottom Liner posted:

You might want to skip the Mortis arc, because that kind of spoils the big reveal.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Bottom Liner posted:

I think you have a moral obligation to ensure he watches the prequels before finding out what happens to Anakin, and to pass along his reaction to episode 3. It's so rare to see that reaction in a vacuum, without the experience of the original trilogy coloring things and the knowledge that Anakin is going to fall to the dark side.

Oh man I can totally see him thinking that Anakin is the coolest kid ever in episode 1 too, winning podraces and blowing up giant trade federation ships.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

NowonSA posted:

I think you have a moral obligation to ensure he watches the prequels before finding out what happens to Anakin, and to pass along his reaction to episode 3. It's so rare to see that reaction in a vacuum, without the experience of the original trilogy coloring things and the knowledge that Anakin is going to fall to the dark side.

Oh man I can totally see him thinking that Anakin is the coolest kid ever in episode 1 too, winning podraces and blowing up giant trade federation ships.

Darth Vader being Anakin will be this kids Kennedy assassination.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Demiurge4 posted:

Darth Vader being Anakin will be this kids Kennedy assassination.

I like that Vader = Anakin works well as a twist both ways, despite radically different amounts of content depending on what way you approach it. If you start from the OT you have about two full movies before you reach that twist, and if you start from the prequels you have way more time to know the character if you dig into the very first clone wars cartoons, the much longer running clone wars series, and the prequel trilogy. Either you see a cool hero fall to the dark side and betray all the fun things you saw him do, or you see a really evil dude and find out that he used to be a hero, oh and by the way he's the dad of the current hero.

It's one of the most well known plot twists in cinema history, but I have to give the people behind Star Wars in its various forms props for making it so that if you somehow don't find out through cultural osmosis, at some point you'll get your mind blown no matter what angle you take on it.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Re: Ren punching himself... have you guys never had muscle spasms? He got shot, it stands to reason his obliques/lat are on fire and spasming... that also explains why he only uses his right hand during the duel, for the most part, and keeps swinging wide when he does the backhand slash from left to right. He's punching himself to loosen up the muscle so he can move, I mean I've had to do that with my quads back when I was a teenager and used to fight a lot of matches back to back in tournaments.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Fuzz posted:

Re: Ren punching himself... have you guys never had muscle spasms? He got shot, it stands to reason his obliques/lat are on fire and spasming... that also explains why he only uses his right hand during the duel, for the most part, and keeps swinging wide when he does the backhand slash from left to right. He's punching himself to loosen up the muscle so he can move, I mean I've had to do that with my quads back when I was a teenager and used to fight a lot of matches back to back in tournaments.

Judge me by my reps, do you? Luminous beings are we, lift we do not.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

ImpAtom posted:

No he doesn't, there are literally scenes that take place during hyperspace travel, like the one where they see the incomplete map and Han talks about the Force.

If you mean they don't have lengthy hyperspace scenes for every trip you are correct and neither do any of the other films.

:thejoke:

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.

Mameluke posted:

Speaking of Boba Fett, will Disney hire a new Maori actor to play him in that spinoff, since Daniel Logan/Temuera Morrison are his only actors left in-canon and unretconned?

Manu Bennett
Manu Bennett
MANU BENNETT

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Kulkasha posted:

Manu Bennett
Manu Bennett
MANU BENNETT

Oh god yes please I almost forgot this dreamy human being existed

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Bottom Liner posted:

Well that does eventually happen, from a certain point of view :v:.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Yvonmukluk posted:

Have him do the VO, and then in the last shot have Boba take his helmet off to reveal a woman, and maybe reveal that 'Boba Fett' has been a Dread Pirate Roberts-esque name for years. The Internet would explode.

There was a rumor earlier this year that Michael B. Jordan would be playing Boba Fett in the spinoff film (which at this point, is nothing but speculation since the release date is 2020 and we're not going to hear anything until probably 2018 at the earliest). Predictably, everyone went loving apeshit over this.

But no, your idea is pretty awesome and I recall hearing that the SW creative team at Disney has been thinking about going in that direction.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Bottom Liner posted:

Please let us know how this turns out.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Young Freud posted:

There was a rumor earlier this year that Michael B. Jordan would be playing Boba Fett in the spinoff film (which at this point, is nothing but speculation since the release date is 2020 and we're not going to hear anything until probably 2018 at the earliest). Predictably, everyone went loving apeshit over this.

But no, your idea is pretty awesome and I recall hearing that the SW creative team at Disney has been thinking about going in that direction.

But the spinoff doesn't even need to be post-RotJ. It could just be Boba's adventures at some time between AotC and RotJ. Also, I think Michael B. Jordan would be wasted on a character who wears a helmet all the time.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Neo Rasa posted:

Please let us know how this turns out.

Start with ANH and Empire Strikes Back, so he's wondering who this Luke person is, why he has the same last name, then get depressed when Obi-Wan drops the bomb that Darth Vader killed Anakin.

Then, of course, the big reveal with Empire. Then, you go into the prequels before going to Return of The Jedi.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Change it slightly. Do a new hope, then episode I so they can see how Anakin meets Ben. Then episode 2 so they can be like, uh Anakin seems a little off. Then empire strikes back, then episode 3, then Jedi.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Why is Ben Solo named Ben? Neither Leia nor Han had a close relationship with Obi Wan. And they'd just call him by his real name Obi Wan, which I assumed Luke only didn't because he knew him as crazy old man Ben for 19 years and Obi Wan for like 48 hours or something.

Also that thing with your young cousin is adorable. Being too young to recognize wooden acting and dialogue would fix a lot of the problems with the prequels.

Liquid Dinosaur fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jan 3, 2016

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Why is Ben Solo named Ben? Neither Leia nor Han had a close relationship with Obi Wan. And they'd just call him by his real name Obi Wan, which I assumed Luke only didn't because he knew him as crazy old man Ben for 19 years and Obi Wan for like 48 hours or something.

Ben Kenobi served her father in the Clone Wars and safeguarded her brother for 19 years. Alternatively, they just thought it was a good name.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Also I can't tell, were they being serious when they said that Chewbacca was Yoda-Lady's boyfriend?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

greatn posted:

Change it slightly. Do a new hope, then episode I so they can see how Anakin meets Ben. Then episode 2 so they can be like, uh Anakin seems a little off. Then empire strikes back, then episode 3, then Jedi.

Honestly, if he knows Anakin from The Clone Wars, they can skip Episode 1 and 2 altogether. It's probably better that way, since the cousin is already familiar with the circumstances of the Clone Wars, just not how it ends and Anakin becomes Darth Vader.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Also I can't tell, were they being serious when they said that Chewbacca was Yoda-Lady's boyfriend?

No. She was making the sort of joke old women often make at Christmas.

My aunt keeps asking when I plan to propose and it's weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Beeez posted:

Ben Kenobi served her father in the Clone Wars and safeguarded her brother for 19 years. Alternatively, they just thought it was a good name.

Bail Organa was such a wasted character in 2 and 3.

• Locked thread