Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
Card Kingdom did another Pauper tournament today, sold out at pre-registration but then a handful of people no showed. Went 4-1-1 in Swiss (non-intentional draw) playing elves and lost in the semifinals. Fun times. I wish more places would do paper pauper tournaments

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

mcmagic posted:

I feel bad for the 4 people who played against me today while I played ANT horribly to 4-0. I literally have no idea what i'm doing with the deck and it's just that good apparently.

Its an insanely fun deck, you have days with it where you feel just unbeatable, and others where you make all the right plays and lose because you went 33 cards deep are at 1 life and still couldn't find one of the four petals you needed to go off that turn.

I love playing it.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Dehtraen posted:

Card Kingdom did another Pauper tournament today, sold out at pre-registration but then a handful of people no showed. Went 4-1-1 in Swiss (non-intentional draw) playing elves and lost in the semifinals. Fun times. I wish more places would do paper pauper tournaments

Played burn, went 2-3 drop, had a bad time. Congratulations on the... Bob and snap?

accordingtojosh
Jun 21, 2005

Dehtraen posted:

Congrats on the finish.

I wanted to play but didnt pre-register. I guess I should've shown up anyway just in case.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

accordingtojosh posted:

Congrats on the finish.

I wanted to play but didnt pre-register. I guess I should've shown up anyway just in case.

They've moved modern to Sundays in favor of doing events like this and their legacy 1k's on Saturday. There should be another one coming in 2 months, so keep an eye on the events page because the 72(?) Slots fill up quick.

accordingtojosh
Jun 21, 2005
I played the vintage event they had last month and plan to play the upcoming Legacy $1Ks whenever it works out with my schedule. I think I'll be at the one next week.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

accordingtojosh posted:

I played the vintage event they had last month and plan to play the upcoming Legacy $1Ks whenever it works out with my schedule. I think I'll be at the one next week.

If I reg is still open and I can put infect together I'll also be there, if not, I wont. My other option is Merfolk, but I haven't had fun with it in legacy.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
every time someone complains about new creatures like Siege Rhino I remember Cloud of Fairies was printed at common

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Four Score posted:

every time someone complains about new creatures like Siege Rhino I remember Cloud of Fairies was printed at common

Cloud of fairies at common is entirely unsurprising when you consider that it was in urzas block.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Foil Scrabbling Claws are $50 on TCGPlayer in case anyone was curious.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Dehtraen posted:

I wish more places would do paper pauper tournaments

Places I've spotted holding paper pauper events

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

suicidesteve posted:

:psyduck: Why? Because it's a Relic that doesn't nuke your own graveyard?

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

One cannot be a good person and enforce unjust laws.

Four Score posted:

:psyduck: Why? Because it's a Relic that doesn't nuke your own graveyard?

Well, it's second ability targets the card, so it can get around Leyline/Orbs of Warding. My guess is that someone saw it in the Black Eldrazi list and bought them all out.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Brownhat posted:

My guess is that someone saw it in the Black Eldrazi list and bought them all out.

Ding ding ding. I saw this coming so I bought a set for $6 like 4 days ago just to have them. There were a ton on TCGPlayer then, and they weren't even $2.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

suicidesteve posted:

Ding ding ding. I saw this coming so I bought a set for $6 like 4 days ago just to have them. There were a ton on TCGPlayer then, and they weren't even $2.

Just bought a playset of the foils for 2 euros off MCM. I don't usually do mtgfinance poo poo but this deck seems pretty interesting and I might actually use them. Shame Eye of Ugin has spiked so much though. :negative:

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

suicidesteve posted:

Oh.

I actually have one of these in an old Daretti deck I had lying around, thanks for the info.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
the real reason combo decks are annoying in modern and are fun everywhere else is because there's no viable control deck in modern

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
the two decks that are kind of considered "control" in modern run remand as their only real countermagic because they're fundamentally tempo decks that try to resolve splinter twin/gurmag angler ASAP and beat you to death

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I mean the best form of control is beating right guys????????

That was horrible and I am sorry.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Four Score posted:

You should pick one of the creatures that was actually busted at the time with that mechanic, like Palinchron. Cloud of Faeries had nothing really busted to untap at the time other than like Academy, which was actually just busted all by itself.

I would rather play against a billion goofy Wild Growth decks than Rhino.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Lancelot posted:

the real reason combo decks are annoying in modern and are fun everywhere else is because there's no viable control deck in modern

Grixis Control is 9-0 in Cincinnati right now. One of only two.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

The Real Foogla posted:

Grixis Control is 9-0 in Cincinnati right now. One of only two.

Grixis "control" is a midrange deck and Tron destroys them. He will not win this match.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Cactrot posted:

Played burn, went 2-3 drop, had a bad time. Congratulations on the... Bob and snap?
Thanks. I am glad I didn't run into burn at all though I came prepared for it.

Before the cut to the top 8 two of the competitors proposed restructuring the prizes to make it less top heavy and spread the value out. 5-8 was a snap (I believe), 3-4 was 3x Ravnica Bob, 1st and 2nd split the rest of the prizes a bit more closely with slightly more value for 1st. Walked away with 3x Ravnica Bob.

accordingtojosh posted:

Congrats on the finish.

Thanks, definitely pre-reg and if it sells out just show up a little early. A handful of people always no show.

Also if anyone is interested in playing in the next tournament at CK (March) but doesn't want to buy a deck just for the tournament I have mono black, elves, mono white tokens, and the parts to build one cloud of faeries deck (delver deck or faeries based combo), just drop me a line.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

jassi007 posted:

Grixis "control" is a midrange deck and Tron destroys them. He will not win this match.

more tempo than midrange, I'd argue

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I like infinite Flame Jabs fueled by Ascendancy and Loam. :v:

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Elyv posted:

more tempo than midrange, I'd argue

I'd like to hear your argument, and also your definitions of tempo and midrange.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Dehtraen posted:

That's sick, congrats on your finish. Pauper is so sweet.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

jassi007 posted:

I'd like to hear your argument, and also your definitions of tempo and midrange.

*opponent casts nothing but removal spells and a turn-10 Tasigur* Man I just can't deal with this tempo or these midrange beatdowns.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

I like infinite Flame Jabs fueled by Ascendancy and Loam. :v:

I would like to know more about this

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

TheKingofSprings posted:

It's not quite infinite, but it's a large number. Basically he had 2 Fatestitcher, Loam and Flame jab with Ascendancy out.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Ban graveyards. There, I fixed Magic.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

It was a "gifts ascendancy" deck on-stream last round. They said they'd do a deck tech on it later.

Interestingly he was playing at least one bounceland to combo with Fatestitcher and Lumbering Falls as a hexproof dork.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Irony Be My Shield posted:

It was a "gifts ascendancy" deck on-stream last round. They said they'd do a deck tech on it later.

Interestingly he was playing at least one bounceland to combo with Fatestitcher and Lumbering Falls as a hexproof dork.

The Lumbering Falls seemed kinda loose tbh considering you already have Sylvan Carytid but I guess he's the guy whose 10-2 or 9-2 with it so what do I know.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

mandatory lesbian posted:

The Lumbering Falls seemed kinda loose tbh considering you already have Sylvan Carytid but I guess he's the guy whose 10-2 or 9-2 with it so what do I know.

I mean it's a 3/3 hexproof that gets swole as poo poo so it's an actual wincon.

Jeskai Ascendancy making a comeback is a wonderous sight, too.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
This deck looks neat.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

I mean it's a 3/3 hexproof that gets swole as poo poo so it's an actual wincon.

Jeskai Ascendancy making a comeback is a wonderous sight, too.

Like yeah that's true but it gets blocked easily, so something like Fairy Conclave or Trampling Ape Forest land I can't remember the name of seem better, to me

I'm not saying it's wrong, I just didn't see a lot of removal from the Jeskai Deck so it seemed loose (course I guess Fatestitcher can tap blockers so that's not necessarily a problem)

It's one of those things where I would need to play it myself and i like goofy combo decks so i probably will

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Sure, but having another copy of it in a landslot is probably nice.

e: in those long games you really want threats that can't be killed, and the manabase seems dodgy enough that you probably can't play single-colored manlands.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Like yeah that's true but it gets blocked easily, so something like Fairy Conclave or Trampling Ape Forest land I can't remember the name of seem better, to me

I'm not saying it's wrong, I just didn't see a lot of removal from the Jeskai Deck so it seemed loose (course I guess Fatestitcher can tap blockers so that's not necessarily a problem)

It's one of those things where I would need to play it myself and i like goofy combo decks so i probably will

Treetop Village is probably better but he's probably playing the Lumbering Falls specifically for the control decks maybe.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
I think he's playing it for the hexproof and relying on his flame jab/loam engine to clear the way before attacking.

E: Also, while no one will ever replace Patrick Sullivan, Craig Krempels has been really fun now that he's gotten comfortable, and I'm really enjoying his commentary.

Oldsrocket_27 fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jan 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Dehtraen posted:

I was working just up the street. :(

I'm definitely going to keep an eye out for the next one and request that day off well in advance.

• Locked thread