Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Eonwe posted:

They maybe got a report or something

Usually death threats are taken seriously whether they are made jokingly or not

Oh yeah. I missed that bit, but succinct said someone alerted staff about it.

Welcome to the internet kids, if you try to gently caress with people, people will gently caress with you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

DoctorWhat posted:

The main problem with Freedom Planet is its camera. Which is the same problem the classic Sonic games had, when it came to going fast, and where Unleashed and Generations succeed.

If the camera in FP2 is more Dustforce-esque and dynamic and zoomed-out I might give it a shot but the limited perspective has so far kept me away from FP1.

I don't disagree in a sense? But like if you're REALLY trying to go fast you're probably going to memorise the level layout anyway so the camera stops being an issue past a certain point. Freedom Planet in particular also has a rather heavy emphasis on combat where zooming out is going to make it harder to see what the hell is going on.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

I don't disagree in a sense? But like if you're REALLY trying to go fast you're probably going to memorise the level layout anyway so the camera stops being an issue past a certain point. Freedom Planet in particular also has a rather heavy emphasis on combat where zooming out is going to make it harder to see what the hell is going on.

Yeah, I never really had an issue with FP's camera, as there's little to no 'gotcha' traps like Sonic, and you have much more control over your inertia. It's definitely more combat-focused

As for FP2, it does look like they're shooting for a higher resolution window with the sprites about the same size, so that should change the rhythm of things somewhat.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
It just makes it inaccessable as a speedgame compared to Generations or Unleashed. When you're at top-tier levels the issue vanishes but for beginners it's very intimidating.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

DoctorWhat posted:

It just makes it inaccessable as a speedgame compared to Generations or Unleashed.

Those games have far less runners than Freedom Planet despite being older so I really do not think this statement is true on any level.

e; disregard that I pulled my stats from speedrun.com and I forgot the sonic community has their own website entirely and don't really post on sr.c, those games have like several hundred runners lol

that said i still disagree the camera is what keeps people from running freedom planet I would rather think the extremely fiddly and precise nature of the physics is going to do that before anything else

SuccinctAndPunchy fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Jan 3, 2016

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

When I went through and played the XBLA version of Sonic Adventure again a couple years ago, I started posting top 100 leaderboard times on XBL and began seriously considering picking that game up as a speedgame before I got my senses back about me :v:

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Cubey posted:

When I went through and played the XBLA version of Sonic Adventure again a couple years ago, I started posting top 100 leaderboard times on XBL and began seriously considering picking that game up as a speedgame before I got my senses back about me :v:

whenever somebody talks about sonic adventure as a speedgame I feel obligated to show them this video

i get so much goddamn mileage out of this video

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Cubey posted:

I started playing Sonic Adventure 2 again last year and decided to try to speedrun it. I only practiced City Escape before I got bored of the idea. I did get my time down to 2:43 or something low like that though. :v:

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

There were quite a few places in which I glitched through the floor to my death while trying to go fast. It's irritating that I started getting good at a game that I think sucks poo poo, I'd gladly trade my relatively high skill with Sonic Adventure for more skill with games I actually like and enjoy.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Eonwe posted:

He uses the words autism and fag as slurs in 2016

I'm glad of his probable ban

:same:

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

whenever somebody talks about sonic adventure as a speedgame I feel obligated to show them this video

i get so much goddamn mileage out of this video

No one said Sonic Adventure was a stable game. That happen once on Sonic's Speed Highway while wall running, when I was trying to 100% the game. But when you break the game in the right way it so much fun.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Dunno much about Cinnamonbun, but that Cyber guy is creepy. Dude seems to namesearch for Megaman X about fifty times a day and swoops in on ANY discussion of the series on Twitter. That's just kinda obsessive.

Edit: For the record, I'm 100% down with GDQ having strict 'Behave like a regular human being on social media for this event' rules. You'd think it'd go without saying at a cancer charity fundraiser, but apparently not!

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Jan 3, 2016

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

DoctorWhat posted:

It just makes it inaccessable as a speedgame compared to Generations or Unleashed. When you're at top-tier levels the issue vanishes but for beginners it's very intimidating.

As someone who has played a lot of Generations and Unleashed and thoroughly enjoyed both, as well as viewing a lot of the tech behind their runs (and doing light IL running myself on Generations), this statement is kind of nonsense. There are extremely few runners of full-game any% Unleashed because nobody wants to play the nonsensical amount of werehog you have to play beyond a few extremely good runners - the remainder is segmented and ILs. Furthermore, while it's true that you can easily see what's ahead of you in 3D sections of Unleashed and Generations, this simply isn't the case for the 2D sections with the sheer speed you accrue. I found that the bigger issue is that Freedom Planet's level design is generally lacking in major setpieces, and so laying down the necessary muscle memory based on visual cues can be tough, but screen scrolling speed isn't an issue for new runners, and doesn't come anywhere near being an issue for casual play because enemies in Freedom Planet don't deal contact damage and there are almost no instant-kills compared to the aforementioned Sonic games (not to mention that hitting an enemy in FP doesn't cost you all your speed like it does in a Sonic game).

Ultigonio fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Jan 3, 2016

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

can't believe it's only 10 hours until we're booing speedrunners

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Quest For Glory II posted:

I'm just incredibly glad the marathon is during my last week of Winter Break. Nothing to do but watch speedruns for the next 7 days. :woop:

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Eonwe posted:

also I've legit been trying to talk about speedruns

like I said, the Super Mario World run with carl sagan is going to be sick

he is my favorite speedrunner by far

agreed

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
AGDQ shirts are up :) http://theyetee.com/agdq

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

That Kraken shirt.

Jibo posted:

Also, there's no MMX race featuring Caleb? What kind of GDQ is this?
If I recall, Caleb had accepted runs but then didn't bother registering before the deadline for runners, so...

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

PvtCB is running DMC4 you boob.

Also what is the source for this:

quote:

-On that note, if someone donates a small amount of money just to write a mountain of text, then filter it out. We'll be busy enough reading short donation comments. The only exception we should make for mountains of text is...

-Personal stories relating to our cause should be read.

Because everytime I read it the more I think "No this can't be right it sounds like it's going to be terrible."

furry drum circle
Aug 7, 2007

Dear... God...

Chucat posted:

PvtCB is running DMC4 you boob.

Also what is the source for this:

Because everytime I read it the more I think "No this can't be right it sounds like it's going to be terrible."

Don't think that really needs a source, they've been sticking to huge values or sob stories when a backlog forms for a while now. During my TJE run last marathon they read out a bunch of $100+'s and stuff but I missed out on "small" ($5-$20) donations from coworkers and my dad :smith: I know there's no way for them to know relationships between the runners and donors but it's one of the unfortunate results of the event growing so much.

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

You are now entering completely darkness

furry drum circle posted:

Don't think that really needs a source, they've been sticking to huge values or sob stories when a backlog forms for a while now. During my TJE run last marathon they read out a bunch of $100+'s and stuff but I missed out on "small" ($5-$20) donations from coworkers and my dad :smith: I know there's no way for them to know relationships between the runners and donors but it's one of the unfortunate results of the event growing so much.

Ugh, I forgot about the neverending "my third cousin once removed had mega cancer so here's 20 dollars to kick cancer's butt" donations. I've been depressed lately so I don't need that poo poo.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

You've been able to give a list to the donation station of people who might donate and give you a shoutout, but I don't think it's super well-known (they announced it to runners at reg this year). Also, that involves knowing who's going to donate before the run.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
As per tradition, the VOD thread is up on Reddit.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Violently Car posted:

Ugh, I forgot about the neverending "my third cousin once removed had mega cancer so here's 20 dollars to kick cancer's butt" donations. I've been depressed lately so I don't need that poo poo.

I really wish they'd just add a donation ticker or something for the small stuff, cause the event is so drat big that barely of them will get read anyway. Not to mention they need way better curation because sometimes some random guy will take up like 2 minutes telling his life story over a $5 donation, and there are loads of really tasteless or unfunny donations that get read out.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Alabaster White posted:

I really wish they'd just add a donation ticker or something for the small stuff
There is one on the website.

Pelican Dunderhead
Jun 16, 2010

Ah! Hello Ershin!
Pillbug

That Plain Doll shirt is so adorable.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Alabaster White posted:

I really wish they'd just add a donation ticker or something for the small stuff, cause the event is so drat big that barely of them will get read anyway. Not to mention they need way better curation because sometimes some random guy will take up like 2 minutes telling his life story over a $5 donation, and there are loads of really tasteless or unfunny donations that get read out.

It'd be decent dead air filler between runs. Instead of showing the same view of a mostly empty room staring at the back of some chairs just have a ticker up showing donations. Also put a Twitter style limit on donation posts. Sorry guys, we've gone past the point where long detailed screeds are able to be handled.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Quest For Glory II posted:

i'd never hurt their feelings

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I feel like we should start a pool now for how far off estimate the marathon ends. Currently, the finale is set at 12:15am the evening of January 9th (or on January 10th if you want to be a pedantic computer about it). Will technical issues make them massively late again or will the over-tight scheduling of the last few marathons make them plan too much leeway in the estimates this time?

I'm going to say that they'll end three hours and fifteen minutes over estimate. I'll also predict that they'll be nearly five hours over estimate by Thursday and then go crazy trying to bring that back.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

They'll get massively behind by friday then start cutting everything they can and crunch way down on the setup and end up finishing exactly on time.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

This time around I hope they actually use the setup buffers to be goddamn setup buffers and not insert a boring nearly one hour long run when already a few hours behind.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

I sincerely hope nothing happens to the nerds that attend this event in person.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

KennyMan666 posted:

This time around I hope they actually use the setup buffers to be goddamn setup buffers and not insert a boring nearly one hour long run when already a few hours behind.

lmao

ps they're all like this.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

KennyMan666 posted:

I hope nobody gets cucked this year

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
good luck on watching GDQ this year

this will be a busy work week for me but im gonna try to find the time throughout the day

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Pelican Dunderhead posted:

That Plain Doll shirt is so adorable.

I've ordered that and the Dood shirt this year. Do love me some Prinnies.

That's been a thing at least since the "Best/Worst Final Fantasy" shitstravaganza of... I wanna say SGDQ14? where people would write in with lists that would take five straight minutes to read, tagged to a donation of $3. It made so many runs basically unwatchable.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
How come the Bloodborne run doesn't have a donation incentive for fighting Gherman?

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

And we're off!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Stream is live for the pre-show now. Presumably runs to start in an hour. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Is this a sports panel? :v: