Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Groggy nard posted:

I didn't have time to mention it earlier, but the Ise also lost a ton of armor protection from the lost turrets, which tend to have better armor than the ships belt(unless it is a skinny Treaty Cruiser), and put a plane hangar in the once flashproof, floodproof ammo storage and turret cavity.

So it took away quite a few of the strengths of a Battleship(extremely hard to penetrate stable gun platform) for a few squads of bombers that could only be used once. It will get deck penned and critted so hard. SO. HARD.

It seems like it might be a fun bote in this game though. Which won't stop me from going :psyduck: every time I pen one with a DD.

I can definitely see the flight deck being a weakness, but you have to think about it in more gamey terms. You basically get a low end BB (or really a CA at this point) that can roll with the BB group but also dispatch waves of both fighters and torpedo bombers to mix into its gun fire. This also gives it one of the best anti-sub weapons (with practice) in the game and a way to project power outside the range of your main battery. It's like giving a Kongo 1931 a Bogue welded to its rear end, but with 1000 damage torpedo planes instead of 300. Which is actually really cool and good once you get the feel for having both available to you, and get the rhythm of just putting up squadrons on standby as your hangar deck generates sorties. I already do this now with the CVs, sending them to circle over islands in the middle of the maps.

It'll definitely lose in a straight up gun battle with other BBs, but in terms of a long spotting fight or just general utility it sounds pretty drat fun.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jan 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
How badly is the Ise CV outgunned? It seems like it'd have potential for fleet battle gimmicks, since the battleships shouldn't get focused anyway and having all those planes on your battleships might open some options.

(too bad it costs so much :()

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?
Oh my god those last moments of a game in a submarine in a respawn match and you know you have that last BB and you realize that you are actually out of torps

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

James Garfield posted:

How badly is the Ise CV outgunned? It seems like it'd have potential for fleet battle gimmicks, since the battleships shouldn't get focused anyway and having all those planes on your battleships might open some options.

(too bad it costs so much :()

The regular tier V Ise has 12 14" guns, using 6 2-gun mounts. The Ise BCV loses the rear two for the 30 planes. So the tier VI Ise BBV is more comparable to something like the North Hampton in terms of damage from a full salvo of main battery than it would be something like the Nagato Proto. It is definitely a down grade if you really plan on shooting other botes with the guns.

BUT, the Ise gives you close to eight tier VII torpedo squadrons to use alongside your main battery. Those planes, assuming you are using them, can hit other BBs and CVs for like 3000-4000 unavoidable damage. This is before you even consider how effective those same planes can be to targets like shallow submerged subs, something a regular BB can do literally nothing against.

While the Ise is outgunned in a pure gun battle, it really shouldn't be hard to get a lot of value out of the CV aspect of the boat.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jan 1, 2016

Crash74
May 11, 2009
Im finally going to give this game a go, is there a ts or mumble people accually use and can i get into the clan?

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits
If you apply to GOONS, yes. We're currently at 94 of 100. Just apply and post your ingame name here.

Crash74
May 11, 2009
applied as Crashs

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

You're in, enjoy your <GOONS> tag, donate some cashmoney and grind those fleet xp.

Crash74
May 11, 2009
dam this does play a lot like wot, but it's not bad :psyduck:? seems like you can spend money on everything, what's accually worthwhile dropping dollars on?

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Crash74 posted:

dam this does play a lot like wot, but it's not bad :psyduck:? seems like you can spend money on everything, what's accually worthwhile dropping dollars on?

Some of the premium boats are on sale right now but still kinda pricey. If you are new you should definitely do that investment plan thing, you like double your gold just by playing up through tier VI, which only takes like 1-3 days to get to.

The gold conversion rate for free XP isn't terrible if you want to throw money at the grind.

There's really nothing that you need to buy I'd say.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

Investment plan and boat slots. If you think you'll play it longer, pick up the 6moth premium time and get a Tier 2 premium BB for free. It's not the greatest boat, but it surely is one of the prettiest. It's the USS Connecticut BB-18 painted up in the Great White Fleet colors.

e:
Also don't forget to pick up your free Tier 5 HMS Repulse premium boat. Check the steam news of Steel Ocean for a in detail guide how to claim it

Feindfeuer fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jan 1, 2016

Crash74
May 11, 2009
The investment plan costs 1080 gold (what the hell is a investment plan?)? The only gold pack that would have enough is the 150 dollar one?
e: i see some people are online is there a ts to shoot the poo poo?
ee: free boat, what do i have to do?

Crash74 fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jan 1, 2016

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

I actually have no idea how much the investment plan costs as it doesn't display the price for me anymore. But $13.6 you get 6800 gold (+6800 additional on your first time you recharge for that) so unless you're paying in zimbabwe dollars you're looking at the wrong gold prices.

There is a channel for the game in the CTS mumble, check the private games subforum for details of how to get there.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
The investment plan costs 10800, and the $13 dollar package gives you like 14000 right now.

Crash74
May 11, 2009
ohh I is was reading it wrong, its 76,000 for 150$, of that makes using a lot less punishing.

dpidz0r
Jul 29, 2012
I've just had a good 10 games in a row that were ruined by pubbies on my team who don't know how to play. Pretty much everything not involving torps involved a Repulse. Making those things tier V seems like it was a bad idea.

Pervis
Jan 12, 2001

YOSPOS

dpidz0r posted:

I've just had a good 10 games in a row that were ruined by pubbies on my team who don't know how to play. Pretty much everything not involving torps involved a Repulse. Making those things tier V seems like it was a bad idea.

I dread when I see our team is mostly Repulse's while the enemy has real BB's. I did have a sad competition 3v3 game tonight with me in a Nevada with a destroyer and sub ally, and on the other side they drew a Repulse for their BB. I dunked the Repulse twice in a row and killed their destroyer once before eventually going down as they respawned close by, but got their destroyer down to 200 life again before I fell, so was a quick kill for my allies and victory. The Nevada's only real weakness is the two AA guns, which wasn't a factor in that game.

dpidz0r
Jul 29, 2012
Got to play as the overlord in the challenge mode event thing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDaVjPx8xUk

Lockmart Lawndart
Oct 12, 2005

dpidz0r posted:

Got to play as the overlord in the challenge mode event thing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDaVjPx8xUk

YOU! IT WAS YOU! DEATH TO YOUR TORPEDO making GBS threads KIT KAT.

At least throw in the video where we boxed you in and then proceeded to get torped by one of our pub teammates.

Seriously, That thing is just made of torpedos. Shoulda had a tier 5 destroyer or crusier since repluse cant hit poo poo that size.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Lockmart Lawndart posted:

YOU! IT WAS YOU! DEATH TO YOUR TORPEDO making GBS threads KIT KAT.

At least throw in the video where we boxed you in and then proceeded to get torped by one of our pub teammates.

Seriously, That thing is just made of torpedos. Shoulda had a tier 5 destroyer or crusier since repluse cant hit poo poo that size.

Nah that's a different game, we aren't on the other team. It was a Dark Judge guy both games in ours. But yes that really needs to be done with something like a Pensacola, where you can rush into him and just box him in. He's all torps so all you need to do then is unload on him for little recourse. BBs are kinda poo poo for this because the main guns don't aim at targets right.

Have some screenshots from the last couple days.

The story of the pubby CVs:

Doing this in a Fubuki is pretty normal, I feel like doing it in a Farragut is an achievement:

I also have a screenshot of a 12k damage game in the Indy where I killed 4 ships on the other team to make it just me and my pubbie Indy vs two enemy CVs. I literally ran out of planes by the end and we sailed around for like 3 minutes just trying to find each other, ended in a draw. I'm not going to post it because its kinda depressing to think about.

Also, goons come play botes. I should be on most of the day, just yell in fleet. You'll have to more than once prob because the chat system is poo poo.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jan 2, 2016

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Just got in this yesterday, seems like a better World of Warships. Applied to the fleet as Bolt Vanderhuge.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

Warbadger posted:

Just got in this yesterday, seems like a better World of Warships. Applied to the fleet as Bolt Vanderhuge.

You're in, enjoy your stay, donate some cashmoney once you can afford it and grind those fleet xp (10 victories per week). Purged everyone else in the application list, so if any goon got wiped post your ingame name here or it'll happen again.

e: Also you haven't picked up your free HMS Repulse yet, check the steam news of Steel Oceans for a detailed guide how to claim it correctly. Free Tier 5 battleships are fun, even if they play more like a heavy cruiser.

Feindfeuer fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jan 2, 2016

Griz
May 21, 2001

Mazz posted:

Nah that's a different game, we aren't on the other team. It was a Dark Judge guy both games in ours. But yes that really needs to be done with something like a Pensacola, where you can rush into him and just box him in. He's all torps so all you need to do then is unload on him for little recourse. BBs are kinda poo poo for this because the main guns don't aim at targets right.

that thing does have guns - it can only fire 3 at a time and the arc makes it hard to hit destroyers, but they do a ton of damage and reload in like 4 seconds.

destroyers seem completely pointless in that mode. their guns don't hurt it, you can't torp it unless it's cornered because it's faster than any destroyer that doesn't have stacked speed commanders, and if you manage to line up a torp run you'll probably end up getting torped yourself unless it's distracted.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Griz posted:

that thing does have guns - it can only fire 3 at a time and the arc makes it hard to hit destroyers, but they do a ton of damage and reload in like 4 seconds.

destroyers seem completely pointless in that mode. their guns don't hurt it, you can't torp it unless it's cornered because it's faster than any destroyer that doesn't have stacked speed commanders, and if you manage to line up a torp run you'll probably end up getting torped yourself unless it's distracted.

We tried 3 platooning it with Repulses, we got way more done just getting in close and using secondaries then we did with main gun fire. If the game keeps throwing you 5 or 6 vs him and not like 10+ people, you REALLY need to get as much damage as possible in or you'll run out of time even if you don't run out of boats. A DD is probably not a great choice, but something like a Pensacola would be good, something that does well at very close range.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Good fleet battles with goons tonight. I feel like I was the boat anchor of the team, but hey, nice to be had. At least I felt better with a post-fleet match of slaughtering distracted BBs with torpedo salvos.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
You're all terrible at this game and should uninstall :q:

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Platonicsolid posted:

Good fleet battles with goons tonight. I feel like I was the boat anchor of the team, but hey, nice to be had. At least I felt better with a post-fleet match of slaughtering distracted BBs with torpedo salvos.

Was just a bad night for fleet battles in general. We had like half new people and stuff though, also I doubt any of us care enough to tryhard, the only real reason for even doing it is that merit award at the end of the month and the 2 battles weekly one.

To everyone though, it's worth it to get a Wyoming and/or Fubuki decked out, those are far and away the best boats in most cases for the lower fleet battles and good boats in general. If you have the credits putting that 10% reload thing on it is probably a good idea too if you plan to keep them.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jan 3, 2016

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Damnit. I forgot fleet battles was tonight.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Damnit. I forgot fleet battles was tonight.

I did as well until I saw the blue popup about us winning a battle.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

drat, I forgot entirely about Fleet Battles, I was busy catching fish and building stuff in an ocean instead of blowing it up like I ought to have.

That Jerk Steve
Oct 18, 2011
Does anyone have advice on using Torp Bombers? I've been trying to practice in a Hosho but I'm terrible at them. Subs are no problem, same with the lone BB - but DDs and any type of cruiser are impossible to hit. Either my torps miss by a mile or get shot down.

I've been trying to practice before I decide to take the plunge on an Oyodo or Ise BBV

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

That Jerk Steve posted:

Does anyone have advice on using Torp Bombers? I've been trying to practice in a Hosho but I'm terrible at them. Subs are no problem, same with the lone BB - but DDs and any type of cruiser are impossible to hit. Either my torps miss by a mile or get shot down.

I've been trying to practice before I decide to take the plunge on an Oyodo or Ise BBV

As much as I was talking up the Ise BBV I didn't realize it has a 25 second plane recharge time, which means you gotta wait like 3 times as long to put a squadron up. Probably not a big deal if you're only playing the CV part half the time but still.

Also, DDs and CLs are just really really hard to hit. It's best to just try to get them while they are distracted.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Just applied as DerWaffleMous.

Is being focused purely on destroyers a practical thing or is it one of those thankless jobs like playing scout in WoT was?

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013
I was just in a respawn match where half the kills on each team were by destroyers so if that stays consistent up the ranks then you're probably golden.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Is being focused purely on destroyers a practical thing or is it one of those thankless jobs like playing scout in WoT was?

You're in, everyone else that applied got purged. Donate some cashmoney as soon as you can spare it and grind those fleet XP. Destroyers are very valid ships that seem to stay useful throughout all tiers that I've played so far. They are always very fragile, but they are also always very fast, maneuverable and pack a lot of torpedos that just get deadlier tha further you climb through the ranks.

Mazz posted:

As much as I was talking up the Ise BBV I didn't realize it has a 25 second plane recharge time, which means you gotta wait like 3 times as long to put a squadron up. Probably not a big deal if you're only playing the CV part half the time but still.

That's still faster than the Oyodo which has a 30sec flight ready time and is stuck with cruiser guns, so it can't hang back and bloop at things while sending out waves of torps bewteen salvos. But yes, as a pure CV it's terrible.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Not only are Destroyers decent fighters who can take on careless big ships if they manage to get close, scouting is absolutely essential and well-rewarded in this game. In my best BB games my DD teammate often tops me on the EXP/reward chart by getting the spotting damage EXP for all the faces I ruin, plus whatever kills he gets himself.

Also, DDs get to dunk all over subs, which is satisfying as hell if you manage to avoid getting torpedoed by friendlies. Whatever side runs out of DDs first is usually going to lose.

Pervis
Jan 12, 2001

YOSPOS

That Jerk Steve posted:

Your best bet is to route your torp bombers off to the sides (~2km or so) and don't line up a shot until you see the ship moving in a straight line, which usually means they are focusing on shooting someone or going somewhere and aren't aware there is a flight of torpedo bombers 1.5km away readying to drop. This is largely true for other situations too - once you see them going straight for even a couple seconds that's your opportunity to line up a shot on where they'll be and fire. Make sure to leave a little bit of room beyond safe range, as the smart play is to turn in to the torps and hope you dropped the range. Dropping multiple sets of torps on separate but somewhat converging angles can also be smart. Alternatively get a Ranger and shoot the fucker.

Cruisers aren't too hard to hit since they are larger and turn slower but destroyers are basically a CV's worst enemy because they are a bitch to hit if they are smart and aware of your intentions. I'd recommend focusing on hostile subs early in a match, as they are relatively easy to hit and will definitely die or be maimed if hit by 2 or more torps, unless you want to go for the kill shot to the hostile CV, which can also be pretty fun to pull off. A team without subs is missing their secondary scouting mechanism, which can be important on matches where teams have 1 more sub than DD.

Night10194 posted:

Not only are Destroyers decent fighters who can take on careless big ships if they manage to get close, scouting is absolutely essential and well-rewarded in this game. In my best BB games my DD teammate often tops me on the EXP/reward chart by getting the spotting damage EXP for all the faces I ruin, plus whatever kills he gets himself.

Also, DDs get to dunk all over subs, which is satisfying as hell if you manage to avoid getting torpedoed by friendlies. Whatever side runs out of DDs first is usually going to lose.

This - DD's are amazingly important but can be frustrating to play at the higher end, because the DD's scouting becomes even more ridiculously important and there seems to be fewer of them. I had a game where our 1 DD was disconnected, and I got the most damage at ~500 all from secondaries the few times I spotted the hostile DD. It can be especially frustrating playing a DD without gun upgrades or radar upgrade, even with the radar range item purchased and the ~450m scouting commander (from DD lvl 5 event) - I spent 4ish games yesterday as a Benson and never got a win (before going and playing other things). The initial scout skirmish is a lot harder when you haven't yet spotted the hostile DD before everyone on their team starts firing, and every little bit of damage you take increases the likelihood that your team is the side that's going to be without a scout and thus hosed.

The common element in those losses is me, but a ship without upgrades and without other DD allies is at a major disadvantage. Also the Benson's 4 guns kinda suck compared to a Porter's 6, which I think I got used to using. I don't want to blow my 120k global exp on destroyer upgrades (I'd rather use them on torp bomber for Wasp) but I might just skip the Benson for the tier 7.

Humbaba
Aug 4, 2006
I missed fleet battles last night due to having company, but afterward I got into a Nevada. Most of the games had 7 or 8 people per side. It sucked. It's way more fun mid-day or early evening when the folks in Europe are online and games have 10+ people per side.

dpidz0r
Jul 29, 2012
Got my first long range blind torp bomber kill that wasn't just random luck: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuN7woJmYmc

The guy was actually a good sport about it despite my mockery in chat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
I know its because of low numbers but this game really needs to drop the 4v4 or 5v5 battles. They are almost always poo poo.

• Locked thread