Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Hazo posted:

Correct. Obi-Wan rides a giant lizard while pursuing Grievous, who himself is riding an odd sort of motorcycle. While Obi-Wan attacks Grievous's cycle, Grievous completely ignores Obi-Wan's mount, and the lizard is in fact left behind partway through the chase sequence before the final confrontation. Grievous is near a giant lizard while he is fighting Obi-Wan. However, even through the most tortured analysis, there is no reading wherein you could reasonably say "General Grievous fights a giant lizard."

Like in a knights tale where Heath Ledger fights a horse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digiwizzard
Dec 23, 2003

Pork Pro

The giant lizard fighting the four-armed robot is some pure Ray Harryhausen b-movie insanity, illustrating simple (but nuanced) concepts like 'animal vs. machine', and so-on.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Phylodox posted:

My wife can't stand Temple of Doom, though. Because of the racism.

Kate Capshaw was also annoying as hell and was all over the film, like some kind of cinematic... let's call it chicken pox.

INDYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

E: Speaking of racism, it would be easier to take defenses of the PT more seriously if The Phantom Menace wasn't covered wall to wall in racist cartoons.

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Jan 3, 2016

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

sean10mm posted:

Kate Capshaw was also annoying as hell and was all over the film, like some kind of cinematic... let's call it chicken pox.

INDYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

E: Speaking of racism, it would be easier to take defenses of the PT more seriously if The Phantom Menace wasn't covered wall to wall in racist cartoons.

Those are aliens that sound like they do, maybe if you're signing then an earth race YOUR THE RASSIST

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Digiwizzard posted:

The giant lizard fighting the four-armed robot is some pure Ray Harryhausen b-movie insanity, illustrating simple (but nuanced) concepts like 'animal vs. machine', and so-on.

At what point does Grievous fight Boga though? He's fighting Obi-Wan, sure...but nobody is saying Obi-Wan is fighting the wheelbike, so why is there some manner of claim that Grievous is fighting a vractyl?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Hazo posted:

It is okay to admit that you are wrong.

This sounds interesting. Can you link to a clip of this happening? Timestamps would be appreciated but not necessary.

You are the epitome of Comic Book Guy.txt. Oh, you didn't describe in exact detail how many fins were on Kenobi's space lizard? You must not know what you're talking about. Argument destroyed. :rolleyes:

Also, Temple of Doom is the best Indiana Jones movie. Get at me.

Digiwizzard
Dec 23, 2003

Pork Pro

jivjov posted:

At what point does Grievous fight Boga though? He's fighting Obi-Wan, sure...but nobody is saying Obi-Wan is fighting the wheelbike, so why is there some manner of claim that Grievous is fighting a vractyl?

Who cares? People are ignoring the actual and correct point SMG makes about the imagery and are instead obsessed with irrelevant details. Grievous didn't punch a lizard. Ray Harryhausen wasn't involved. Star Wars can't be a b-movie, it's not even billed in a double feature!

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

How I feel every time a guy like jivjov posts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_FieJToFKc

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Digiwizzard posted:

Who cares? People are ignoring the actual and correct point SMG makes about the imagery and are instead obsessed with irrelevant details. Grievous didn't punch a lizard. Ray Harryhausen wasn't involved. Star Wars can't be a b-movie, it's not even billed in a double feature!

Who cares? Obviously you care or you wouldn't have strung so many words together into nonsensical sentences. If the discussion is about imagery, then let's discuss imagery, instead of posting bullshit "facts" like "Grievous fights a lizard" that never happen in the film being discussed.

You want to draw an animal vs machine parallel? Say that grievous, a mostly-mechanical being, is riding a mechanical transport while Obi-Wan, an organic being who is in tune with the living force, is riding an organic being.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Jesus Christ jivjov ...

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Grievous loving loves fighting lizards.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Jesus Christ jivjov ...

Not at all. It's against my programming to impersonate a deity.

Digiwizzard
Dec 23, 2003

Pork Pro

jivjov posted:

Who cares? Obviously you care or you wouldn't have strung so many words together into nonsensical sentences. If the discussion is about imagery, then let's discuss imagery, instead of posting bullshit "facts" like "Grievous fights a lizard" that never happen in the film being discussed.

You want to draw an animal vs machine parallel? Say that grievous, a mostly-mechanical being, is riding a mechanical transport while Obi-Wan, an organic being who is in tune with the living force, is riding an organic being.

Why are we talking about pulp b-movies? These facts are all bullshit. This is nonsensical. I want to talk about the explicit fact of Star Wars.

For example, did you know that General Grievous, a mostly-mechanical Kaleesh cyborg rides on his TSMEU-6 personal wheel bike while Obi-wan Kenobi, an organic being who can access the mystical power known as "The Force", pursues him on an organic creature known as a Varactyl? This is a known fact.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Digiwizzard posted:

Why are we talking about pulp b-movies? These facts are all bullshit. This is nonsensical. I want to talk about the explicit fact of Star Wars.

For example, did you know that General Grievous, a mostly-mechanical Kaleesh cyborg rides on his TSMEU-6 personal wheel bike while Obi-wan Kenobi, an organic being who can access the mystical power known as "The Force", pursues him on an organic creature known as a Varactyl? This is a known fact.

There you go, now you've established what actually occurs on screen, we have have a go at discussing what it all means.

Discussing imagery that never appears in the film is foolish; how can any honest discourse happen if it's not based on fact?

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Digiwizzard posted:

I don't remember any of that at all

Do you have a timestamp?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Digiwizzard posted:

This battle was fought on the planet of Utapau. You know how the planets in Star Wars all have a single climate, like Hoth is an ice planet? Utapau is described as a sinkhole planet. It's got lots of sinkholes.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Jivjov, he was mocking you.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
You're arguing about giant lizards and robots Jesus Christ people.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

GonSmithe posted:

You're arguing about giant lizards and robots Jesus Christ people.

It's more an argument over approaches to film criticism, just with Star Wars as the key textual example.

Also giant lizards and robots own.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
The best character in all of fiction is Sting Chameleon from Mega Man X. He is a giant lizard robot.

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

Mayoist Third Condimentist

sean10mm posted:

The republic was racist. Isn't that the point?

Edit: the b movie analogy really peaked in the gladiator arena scene. I think obi wan had a spear?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

cargohills posted:

Jivjov, he was mocking you.

Oh I am well aware. I'm just amused that in his mockery he did a better job actually discussing the film than a lot of other people thus far.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

No he wasn't, he was talking like a Wookiepedia editor. There's more to film than fake serial numbers and poo poo.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

jivjov posted:

Oh I am well aware. I'm just amused that in his mockery he did a better job actually discussing the film than a lot of other people thus far.

"Why are people talking about 'imagery' and 'themes' when they don't even know the canonical name of the species of lizard that Obi Wan rides."

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Jesus Christ jivjov ...

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Grievous loving loves fighting lizards.

R2 has a spine. :ohdear:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

cargohills posted:

No he wasn't, he was talking like a Wookiepedia editor. There's more to film than fake serial numbers and poo poo.

Yes, there is. Unfortunately it's hard to discuss things like that when people persist in bringing up things that aren't in the film (such as 'Grievous fights a lizard')

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

jivjov posted:

'Grievous fights [a guy on] a lizard'

Ok there I fixed it jivvy now you can stop spazzing out

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Guy A. Person posted:

Ok there I fixed it jivvy now you can stop spazzing out

Exactly. Your fix makes the statement accurately reflect what is actually shown on screen in the film.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

jivjov posted:

Exactly. Your fix makes the statement accurately reflect what is actually shown on screen in the film.

nobody gives a poo poo

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Welp, my point is proven.

A screaming, ginger Hitler is insignificant next to the power of a four-armed robot fighting [a guy on] a giant lizard.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
That ginger mini Hitler and that speech in particular was quite chilling and memorable in my opinion. When I saw it the second time, I pulled my son out during that scene because I thought it would be too intense and scary for him.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

greatn posted:

That ginger mini Hitler and that speech in particular was quite chilling and memorable in my opinion. When I saw it the second time, I pulled my son out during that scene because I thought it would be too intense and scary for him.

I can't remember a single line from that speech.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

There's a new Star War out. Why talk about an old one?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I don't know what the gently caress actual Hitler is saying either but the image and the sound of him screaming at those rallies is distinctive and memorable. That scene lets you see Hitler with nukes.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I was watching those Jedi Party parodies of Star Wars with friends yesterday and it was the first time in years I had seen parts of the prequels that weren't just stills. Episode 1 is ugly as gently caress. Jar-Jar looks okay in a still but the mo-cap really did not hold up (to be fair to that though, Gollum in Fellowship's not holding up too great anymore either). Comparing Coruscant in between movies is great too. The ground's very nearly a flat texture in Episode 1. By 3 it has polygons and buildings, the mo-cap on Grievous looks better, things look composited in better, etc. Also I barely remembered any part of 2 outside of the Naboo (were they on Naboo I don't remember, it's where Anakin whines about sand) scene.

"Watching" the lightsaber fights made me really appreciate how weighty the melee weapons in TFA were though. Adam Driver swings around his saber like it was actually a claymore, Traitortrooper swinging around that baton like it was a mace, etc.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jan 3, 2016

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

greatn posted:

I don't know what the gently caress actual Hitler is saying either but the image and the sound of him screaming at those rallies is distinctive and memorable. That scene lets you see Hitler with nukes.

I mostly remember thinking the columns of storm-troopers looked very small and kind of pathetic, especially compared to the formations in actual footage of the Nuremberg Rallies. JJ Abrams isn't a very good propagandist.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I mostly remember thinking the columns of storm-troopers looked very small and kind of pathetic, especially compared to the formations in actual footage of the Nuremberg Rallies. JJ Abrams isn't a very good propagandist.

The resistance is actually small and pathetic though. They just have a superweapon. They are closer to North Korea than Nazi Germany. You can focus on different things in the scene and get different things.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Mechafunkzilla posted:

greatn posted:

I don't know what the gently caress [Hux] is saying either

The Force Awakens!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

greatn posted:

The resistance is actually small and pathetic though. They just have a superweapon. They are closer to North Korea than Nazi Germany. You can focus on different things in the scene and get different things.

You mean the First Order.

• Locked thread