Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Fil5000 posted:

The 90s were not great.

what was it? Pakistani people are really descended from daleks or some weird poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Fojar38 posted:

highlight of the video was "he was gonna get a much better far more advanced suit but budget constraints happened"

Wrong! Highlight of video is seeing the unfortunate manner in which Rich is going bald. He's got little islands of resistance holding out on the front, while their friends are retreating behind them.

But the idea of the Emperor spending a quadrillion credits on the second Death Star and then telling Darth, "sorry, you have to stay in this suit because we don't have the cash cash" is absolutely retarded.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
The Doctor Who radio plays range from OK to really good. The actors all reprise their roles well, and the production feels like old Doctor Who.

It's the novels, especaily the ones from the 90s, which are terrible. Paul McGann played the 8th version of the Doctor in a pilot for a new TV show that was awful and never got picked up. However, the new pilot was canon, so they had a new current incarnation of the Doctor, with no TV show, so the BBC made an ongoing series of novels, two every month. One was about a classic incarnation of the Doctor, and the other was about the Eighth Doctor. The Eighth Doctor adventures had an ongoing storyline for some reason, so you had to read them in order, because even the standalone ones featured some minor plot point that would become relevant twenty books later.

The plot was about a race of time travellers who worshipped paradoxes and wanted to cause a really big one so they could wipe out the Time Lords. So they tricked the Doctor into making a paradox where he turned a herion addict into a really smug 90s left wing teenager to be his companion, which causes the Doctor's shadow to dissapear and lets them rewrite the third Doctor's regeneration or something. And the Time Lords knew they were going to fight something called the Enemy in the future, but didn't know what it was, so they become really nuts and bulid a lady who has a Tardis inside her head (!). Then Faction Paradox turn the Tardis into a giant bone flower thing to try and make the Doctor into the living version of the Grandfather paradox, but he blows the Time Lords up and gets his memory wiped and has to live on Earth throughout the entire 20th Century while the Tardis fixes itself. Then he's still got no memory of anything before, and his second heart starts rotting so it has to be cut out because that's his time lord heart (?). Then there's this guy called Sabbath who looks like Orson Welles, working for the Enemy which wasn't stopped by the Time Lords all being killed, and he puts the Doctor's heart in himself so he can travel through time and they both become invincible (?). In the Classic Doctor books, companions start getting killed off despite canoncally surviving, and Sabbath breaks the multiverse and causes all the earths to smash into each other. It turns out that the Enemy did it all to remove free will from the mulitverse so they could eat the energy of the lost timelines or something. Apparently the plan was for the Enemy to be the Daleks, but instead it turns out that it's a race of crystal skeletons (!) who resemble all of the Doctor's past selves (!). Then they find K9 plastered behind a wall in the Tardis to fight him and it turns out that the Doctor put all the imforation the time lords had in his own brain, which wiped his memories and stuck them in a pocket universe. Then it ends on an unresolved cliffhanger where the Doctor is all "well I better bring the timelords back or something I guess". This took 73 novels.

Thankfully, McGann got to play the Eighth Doctor again in the radio plays, and the BBC short film Night of the Doctor (which says that the novels aren't canon, yay!). And he was great in them.

OldMemes fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jan 3, 2016

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

OldMemes posted:

The Doctor Who radio plays range from OK to really good. The actors all reprise their roles well, and the production feels like old Doctor Who.

It's the novels, especaily the ones from the 90s, which are terrible. Paul McGann played the 8th version of the Doctor in a pilot for a new TV show that was awful and never got picked up. However, the new pilot was canon, so they had a new current incarnation of the Doctor, with no TV show, so the BBC made an ongoing series of novels, two every month. One was about a classic incarnation of the Doctor, and the other was about the Eighth Doctor. The Eighth Doctor adventures had an ongoing storyline for some reason, so you had to read them in order, because even the standalone ones featured some minor plot point that would become relevant twenty books later.

The plot was about a race of time travellers who worshipped paradoxes and wanted to cause a really big one so they could wipe out the Time Lords. So they tricked the Doctor into making a paradox where he turned a herion addict into a really smug 90s left wing teenager to be his companion, which causes the Doctor's shadow to dissapear and lets them rewrite the third Doctor's regeneration or something. And the Time Lords knew they were going to fight something called the Enemy in the future, but didn't know what it was, so they become really nuts and bulid a lady who has a Tardis inside her head (!). Then Faction Paradox turn the Tardis into a giant bone flower thing to try and make the Doctor into the living version of the Grandfather paradox, but he blows the Time Lords up and gets his memory wiped and has to live on Earth throughout the entire 20th Century while the Tardis fixes itself. Then he's still got no memory of anything before, and his second heart starts rotting so it has to be cut out because that's his time lord heart (?). Then there's this guy called Sabbath who looks like Orson Welles, working for the Enemy which wasn't stopped by the Time Lords all being killed, and he puts the Doctor's heart in himself so he can travel through time and they both become invincible (?). In the Classic Doctor books, companions start getting killed off despite canoncally surviving, and Sabbath breaks the multiverse and causes all the earths to smash into each other. It turns out that the Enemy did it all to remove free will from the mulitverse so they could eat the energy of the lost timelines or something. Apparently the plan was for the Enemy to be the Daleks, but instead it turns out that it's a race of crystal skeletons (!) who resemble all of the Doctor's past selves (!). Then they find K9 plastered behind a wall in the Tardis to fight him and it turns out that the Doctor put all the imforation the time lords had in his own brain, which wiped his memories and stuck them in a pocket universe. Then it ends on an unresolved cliffhanger where the Doctor is all "well I better bring the timelords back or something I guess". This took 73 novels.

Thankfully, McGann got to play the Eighth Doctor again in the radio plays, and the BBC short film Night of the Doctor (which says that the novels aren't canon, yay!). And he was great in them.

Now i am just pictures this fat old orson wells looking mother fucker just shoots past doctors and historical figures in the head.

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Tenth Street Reds, representing

ThePutty posted:

is there any dumb EU stuff in that old republic mmo bioware did?

Didn't Revan show up in one of the expansions after there was an impostor dungeon boss in the main game or something?

I'd be really happy if the end of Revan's story arc wasn't some shitted up raid boss assassination.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

OldMemes posted:

You forgot the New Adventures era that came before the TV movie which started off sort of alright I guess then went really loving weird and bad in which the doctor's teen companion... Well, this: http://www.doctorwhoreviews.altervista.org/NA26_files/Theatre%20of%20War.jpg

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

Fil5000 posted:

You forgot the New Adventures era that came before the TV movie which started off sort of alright I guess then went really loving weird and bad in which the doctor's teen companion... Well, this: http://www.doctorwhoreviews.altervista.org/NA26_files/Theatre%20of%20War.jpg

is that tasha yar

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
In one of the Doctor Who books during the "companions are being killed off" story arc, Sabbath's employers change the past so that one of the Doctor's companions get eaten by a werewolf. The standalone novels could be ok, but the storyline was....um not good?

The Virgin New Adventure novels are really expensive. Too pricy for bad fan fiction, even if it was offical fan fiction.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Fil5000 posted:

Not a huge fan of Doctor Whore Views myself

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Dog toys are now collectibles I guess.

But this collar is cute and I might get it for my dog. :3:

No Jar Jar dog toys is a missed opportunity though.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Wow, link much?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

ThePutty posted:

is there any dumb EU stuff in that old republic mmo bioware did? i'm replaying kotor 2 and the story and writing is great, so i'm wondering if they managed to gently caress it all up in the old republic since i know nothing about it

isn't kotor 2 the one where the lady wants to destroy the force? that's about as dumb eu stuff as it gets (i think those games have "grey jedi" and other garbage too).

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Groovelord Neato posted:

isn't kotor 2 the one where the lady wants to destroy the force? that's about as dumb eu stuff as it gets (i think those games have "grey jedi" and other garbage too).

Yea, cause being either 100% good or 100% bad is better

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
I figure this is the place to ask, just what the hell did the millennium falcon look like before Han pimped it up.

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Tenth Street Reds, representing

Groovelord Neato posted:

It's one of the only things that really tries to examine the force and it's ridiculous binary nature in a good way, so how dare you put it up there with Luuuke and weasel sex

Ka0 posted:

I figure this is the place to ask, just what the hell did the millennium falcon look like before Han pimped it up.

Pretty much the same

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Rad Lieutenant posted:

Yea, cause being either 100% good or 100% bad is better

that's kinda the point of the force and the movies.

Kasonic posted:

It's one of the only things that really tries to examine the force and it's ridiculous binary nature in a good way, so how dare you put it up there with Luuuke and weasel sex

this isn't what star wars is about. it is not a nuanced story, it's a fairy tale. if i want nuance i go elsewhere.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Ka0 posted:

Pretty much the same, it's just internal stuff that he changed.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Groovelord Neato posted:

that's kinda the point of the force and the movies.

this isn't what star wars is about. it is not a nuanced story, it's a fairy tale. if i want nuance i go elsewhere.

No grey areas is what lead to Anakin just suddenly going, "oh I'm bad now" *murders children*

It's dumb and bad

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the grey jedi are different than grey areas. we had a character in the originals and in the new movie who were struggling with where they fell, and one even came back.

it's not so much a dichotomy anyway since the dark side is a corruption of the force. the idea is that people are good by default and only something outside could corrupt them.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

silvergoose posted:

Pretty much the same, it's just internal stuff that he changed.
One of the quad laser turrets is an addition, but yeah other than that it's largely mods "under the hood".

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I saw the Force awakens and I like that Finn's pal who dies like an idiot basically sets up the good guys winning by traumatizing him.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

I cry

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Modest Mao posted:

did everyone see this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhQPu-5C-WY

because it loving owns

What the hell is going on here lol

Double Monocle
Sep 4, 2008

Smug as fuck.

Groovelord Neato posted:

the grey jedi are different than grey areas. we had a character in the originals and in the new movie who were struggling with where they fell, and one even came back.

it's not so much a dichotomy anyway since the dark side is a corruption of the force. the idea is that people are good by default and only something outside could corrupt them.

The reason kotor 2 is good is because it is written well and contains many interesting and fleshed out characters.

Digging your heels in and saying NO GREY AREA IN THESE WARS IN THE STARS is just making you miss out on one of the best video games ever made.

Also nerd edit- She doesnt really want to destroy the force, just create a situation which causes a contradiction in "fate", proving people in star wars have free will and arnt 100% predestined by some godly power (the force)

Double nerd edit- If you know this about her you have already ruined much of the game so good job i guess.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i played the game i just couldn't remember (don't care for rpgs but i swallow down that star wars)

the predestination stuff is only in the prequels (which i hold in the same regard as the eu and thus do not exist in my star wars).

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Groovelord Neato posted:

Yeah, the idea that there should be grey areas in the force is dumb, and misses the entire idea of the force. It's that immature, 14 year old boy going "what if the good guys are bad and the bad guys are good???? this is an amazing new idea!"

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

What if the Empire did nothing wrong?

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

You know who else did nothing wrong?

That's right, the Principality of Zeon.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

What if the Empire did nothing wrong?

Following the end of the Clone Wars, Emperor Palpatine let out hints of the Yuuzhan Vong to the public. One of his official justifications for maintaining the Imperial Navy even after the war had ended was to ward off the threat of extra-galactic invasion.[31]

It’s basically an article of faith among Star Wars fans that the Galactic Empire — as depicted in the original trilogy — is purely evil and the Alliance to Restore the Republic (or Rebel Alliance for short) is unambiguously good. And there’s a lot of solid evidence for that assessment. On-screen, we’ve seen the Empire wipe out the Jedi, destroy entire worlds, enslave peaceful peoples, and declare that their ultimate aim is perpetual rule through fear of force alone. Indeed, the Empire is so evil that it actively rewards cruelty: Grand Moff Tarkin — the commanding officer of the first Death Star — was awarded his title after slaughtering hundreds of anti-Imperial protesters in cold blood.

All of that said, I’m not so certain that the operating philosophy behind the Galactic Empire — that despotism is necessary to maintaining the peaceful cohesion of a galaxy-spanning empire — is entirely wrong. Especially since we have enough examples of republican forms of galactic government to know that the alternative isn’t that much better. The previous galaxy-spanning political unit — the Galactic Republic — collapsed largely because it was too large to be effective. The Republic didn’t even possess the strength or legitimacy to handle a trade dispute on a minor core world, much less an existential threat like the Clone Wars. On the other end of the timeline is the successor regime to the Rebel Alliance, the New Republic. The New Republic was, like its namesake, a loose confederation of worlds united by common economic ties and a representative body. It maintained a large military, for the purpose of defense and peacekeeping, and was firmly committed to respecting the rights of sentient beings. It was also a complete failure.

For the full 23 years of its existence, the New Republic was beset by division and problems of legitimacy. Consensus was habitually hard to come by, even in times — like the Thrawn crisis — when it was absolutely necessary. Indeed, the New Republic fell precisely because it couldn’t muster the cohesion or will to defend itself against the extra-galactic Yuuzhan Vong, despite possessing the combined resources of an entire galaxy.

Now, to me at least, this suggests that a single galactic, representative governing body — no matter how well intentioned — is simply incapable of dealing with such an overwhelming diversity of cultures, viewpoints and agendas (remember, we’re talking about trillions of people and tens of thousands of different lifeforms). If you’re committed to something vaguely democratic, the only real option is a galactic confederation — not dissimilar to the Federation in the Star Trek continuity — where each member planet or sector has extremely limited ties to a central “governing” body of limited authority. Of course, there are real threats from within and outside the galaxy, and there is a real need for a centralized authority, if only for collective defense. In which case, it seems that the only way you could have effectivecollective defense is by forcing each member planet to provide for a common army and navy, which requires enough force for coercion, which in this context can only be successful if the regime has little respect for rights: i.e. the Empire.

Palpatine was incredibly brutal and evil, but he also understood — correctly — that successful galactic dominion requires the kind of cruelty and brute force that we see on display in the movies. Otherwise the whole thing will collapse into petty-infighting and jealousy.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

boom boom boom posted:

Yeah, the idea that there should be grey areas in the force is dumb, and misses the entire idea of the force. It's that immature, 14 year old boy going "what if the good guys are bad and the bad guys are good???? this is an amazing new idea!"

this is why cd loves the prequels. the good guys were actually bad and the reason the bad things happened.

Fojar38
Sep 2, 2011

Sorry I meant to say I hope that the police use maximum force and kill or maim a bunch of innocent people, thus paving a way for a proletarian uprising and socialist utopia

also here's a stupid take
---------------------------->

Kasonic posted:

Didn't Revan show up in one of the expansions after there was an impostor dungeon boss in the main game or something?

I'd be really happy if the end of Revan's story arc wasn't some shitted up raid boss assassination.

revan has an expansion dedicated to him but the mmo is basically about the sith emperor that corrupted revan in the first place

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

You know who else did nothing wrong?

That's right, the Principality of Zeon.

I think putting all their resources in Newtype research and ridiculous Mobile Armors instead of producing enough Gelgoogs and Doms for everybody was a mistake.

Double Monocle
Sep 4, 2008

Smug as fuck.

Groovelord Neato posted:

this is why cd loves the prequels. the good guys were actually bad and the reason the bad things happened.

The prequels are 100% black and white morality though?

VVVV
ok that counts, but I agree its more the sad attempts of people to rationalize the mess of a plot the prequels have and 0% lucas writing.

ONLY a sith lord deals in absolutes :smug:
VVVV

Double Monocle fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jan 4, 2016

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

in the prequels the empire comes to power because the good guys gently caress up a bunch and somehow are unable to tell that the chancellor is a powerful sith lord. the cd reading tends to be that it was jedi hubris which hosed everything up, which is kinda true in those bad poorly written films.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Groovelord Neato posted:

Brain stressed by nuance Groovelord Neato SMASH NUANCE!

Fojar38
Sep 2, 2011

Sorry I meant to say I hope that the police use maximum force and kill or maim a bunch of innocent people, thus paving a way for a proletarian uprising and socialist utopia

also here's a stupid take
---------------------------->
new thread title is good

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

420 Gank Mid posted:

Brain stressed by nuance Groovelord Neato SMASH NUANCE!

how did you get that from what you quoted.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Fojar38 posted:

new thread title is good

:agreed:

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

boom boom boom posted:

I think putting all their resources in Newtype research and ridiculous Mobile Armors instead of producing enough Gelgoogs and Doms for everybody was a mistake.

or putting like 10% more budget into Ramba Ral remembering to fight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

OldMemes posted:

I get that Wookies are big, but the idea of an army of Chewbaccas scaring a race which have wiped out a big chunk of the universe, yeah....

This is the problem with star wars in general. its too incestuous. Han had a Wookie who was supposed to sorta double as muscle, so now all wookies are universally renowned for being bad-rear end killing machines. the millennium falcon is now the fastest ship ever. han's blaster is the strongest blaster ever. they're all related and their kids are also galactically relevant too. obi, luke, and vader used lightsabers, so now everyone uses lightsabers. the first movie had the death star, now we have a sun-sucking death planet.

Can I ask a question? Once the death planet destroys the solar system's sun, what's their plan? Cuz like, destroying a sun in 10 minutes would probably have some pretty serious consequences, even if you were on a sweet space station planet. "alright, bob, let's turn on the heaters to +1000000 cuz the sun just went out. also, why is gravity imploding the planet?"

• Locked thread