Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

ZenVulgarity posted:

We should compile a poo poo load of new builds

I think the op would be less cluttered if we just listed every mech and a little blurb about them, what variants to get, or if the mech is just trash. Like a buyers guide. For example:

Mist Lynx Garbage mech dont buy.

Dragon A fast, fragile IS heavy. 1N variant has a heavily quirked dual AC5 godhand that is fun but not optimal, other variants are toilet mechs.

Atlas Sturdy 100 tonner good brawler. Buy the S, the DD-C. For a 3rd variant get the D or RS, or if you are bad with money get the hero Boars Head. The K is a waste of money.

Dire Wolf A very slow assault that fits an assload of weapons. Buy the W first. Dont buy the Prime. Be cautious with omnipod selection, Prime arms and S torsos have laser heat penalties

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

A.o.D. posted:

To be fair, of all the f2p games I've encountered, MWO's is one of the least offensive when it comes to the paywall.

I don't know, I think even League of Legends is better than this. They don't limit the number of characters you can "buy" in that game, for example, and getting the in-game money takes longer in MWO than it does in LoL... especially if you're a new player who doesn't get 3 kills and 800 damage per game because the money you get in MWO is more performance-dependent than in LoL.

It took me a really long time and a lot of <100dmg games to save up for my first Shadow Cat, but once I got it I was off and running.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Willfrey posted:

I think the op would be less cluttered if we just listed every mech and a little blurb about them, what variants to get, or if the mech is just trash. Like a buyers guide. For example:

Dragon A fast, fragile IS heavy. 1N variant has a heavily quirked dual AC5 godhand that is fun but not optimal, other variants are toilet mechs.

Atlas Sturdy 100 tonner good brawler. Buy the S, the DD-C. For a 3rd variant get the D or RS, or if you are bad with money get the hero Boars Head. The K is a waste of money.

Dire Wolf A very slow assault that fits an assload of weapons. Buy the W first. Dont buy the Prime. Be cautious with omnipod selection, Prime arms and S torsos have laser heat penalties

The game's not that good to put this much effort into it.

But seriously, I was wanting to constantly working on it and make improvements, like this, but I've been too busy lately.

Anita Dickinme fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jan 3, 2016

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Willfrey posted:

This is good and helpful but make sure to explain why something is garbage

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

A.o.D. posted:

To be fair, of all the f2p games I've encountered, MWO's is one of the least offensive when it comes to the paywall.

Its not too bad when it comes to allowing you to grind towards stuff, although I find the pricing structure to be really off putting if you wanted to throw real cash to skip the grind due to larger mechs costing much more.

That said I've probably made worse worse purchasing decisions with some mobile games :v:.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

Anita Dickinme posted:

The game's not that good to put this much effort into it.

But seriously, I was wanting to constantly working on it and make improvements, like this, but I've been too busy lately.

yeah good point, plus poo poo gets buffed/nerfed so frequently would be a chore keeping it current

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Willfrey posted:

Mist Lynx is a strong contender for the worst mech in the game. I sincerely and unironically enjoy the urban mech more, and perform better in it as well.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Willfrey posted:

yeah good point, plus poo poo gets buffed/nerfed so frequently would be a chore keeping it current

Don't get me wrong, I actually enjoy this game enough to do this... I may be a little broken.

A.o.D. posted:

Mist Lynx is a strong contender for the worst mech in the game. I sincerely and unironically enjoy the urban mech more, and perform better in it as well.

I can understand where you're coming from, but I can say with certainty that the Myst Lynx is better than all but maybe one Spider variant, and I legit have fun playing that cute little thing. :3:

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I put lrms on three mechs so I can watch football and get assists

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

Yolomon Wayne posted:

One that has all of these, my dream-light for IS.
I havent found one, but i might be retarded, so...

Im eyeing with a Janner, who cant ECM, or a Cicada, which cant jump.

On autocannons:
Thanks for clarification, the ingame information didnt really make this clear in any way.

There are reasons why that is a bad idea, but regardless no such mech satisfies all those conditions. The Kitfox (KFX-C) and Locust (Pirates Bane) has all save jumpjets. The Raven (4X and Huggin), Panther (10P), Firestarter (Ember and H), and Spider (K and Anansi) all have everything except ECM. Cicadas are not a light for game purposes, although that distinction is only important for quick play matchmaking at this point.

The reason this is a bad idea is that any auto cannon light enough to fit onto a light without sacrificing engine size requires constant pointing at another mech. I highly recommend against fitting auto cannons to lights except for gimmick purposes.

As a general point, and many would benefit from this: The rules that make certain fits make sense in tabletop do not apply to this game. Do not make or plan fits around tabletop ones, because they are almost always bad in this game.

vvvv I forgot that whoever codes smurfy is a bad a lot, yeah, of course it does or this wouldn't be possible: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNf8nCeDaEE

Coolwhoami fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jan 3, 2016

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable
Kit Foxes have jumpjets. :confused:

But I will echo the sentiment that ballistics on lights are a waste of space, unless you're a trashcan or a gimmick build.

Pooncha fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jan 3, 2016

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Pooncha posted:

Kit Foxes have jumpjets. :confused:

But I will echo the sentiment that ballistics on lights are a waste of space, unless you're a trashcan or a gimmick build.

what about a billion machineguns

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

All the King Crabs look fun

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Coolwhoami posted:

There are reasons why that is a bad idea, but regardless no such mech satisfies all those conditions. The Kitfox (KFX-C) and Locust (Pirates Bane) has all save jumpjets. The Raven (4X and Huggin), Panther (10P), Firestarter (Ember and H), and Spider (K and Anansi) all have everything except ECM. Cicadas are not a light for game purposes, although that distinction is only important for quick play matchmaking at this point.

The reason this is a bad idea is that any auto cannon light enough to fit onto a light without sacrificing engine size requires constant pointing at another mech. I highly recommend against fitting auto cannons to lights except for gimmick purposes.

As a general point, and many would benefit from this: The rules that make certain fits make sense in tabletop do not apply to this game. Do not make or plan fits around tabletop ones, because they are almost always bad in this game.

vvvv I forgot that whoever codes smurfy is a bad a lot, yeah, of course it does or this wouldn't be possible: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNf8nCeDaEE
To expand on this, there's a reason nearly every good light build is a laser boat. They're easier to aim in dog fights than standard SRMs, and have reasonable tonnage/DPS ratios. They tend to run a little hot compared to other weapons, but that doesn't matter because you can just run away to cool down.

SRMs are still okay if you're serious about harassing bigger targets, but you'll probably end up wanting to keep away from other lights. Pound for pound even if you're a good shot you're going to have a hard time legging them, and you'll probably waste a bunch of ammo doing it.

And of the lasers, pulses are really good because they pack their damage into a shorter duration. That makes it easier to concentrate their damage when you're going fast (which you should always be doing).

MGs are okay against stripped components, but my understanding is they ate a nerf recently, and you don't really notice that they're doing anything unless you have a bunch of them.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Man my jenner with two lrm 5s is useless

but all those kill assists

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Willfrey posted:

This. Honestly just throw a link to mechspecs under all that. The builds there aren't usually the best, but the 5-stars are a good place to start if you're just trying to learn the chassis.

Beet Wagon fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jan 3, 2016

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Washout posted:

Solo matchmaking in this game has always been trash, the sweet spot seems to be somewhere between 4-8 players in the group, less and you have to rely on your team to win, which is never a good idea, more and you get shot into the full group brackets where you need to all be running optimal builds and optimal robots or you'll lose every match.

I'm not sure when this changed - maybe with the change limiting group weights, idk - but they don't seem to split full groups from mixed groups anymore. Since a full group is limited to 600 tons, full groups are a good deal lighter tonnage-wise than mixed groups. Full groups are still a lot more of a pain in the rear end than mixed groups because of coordination, but you can get some hilarious tonnage disparities to even things out a bit.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Coolwhoami posted:

Thanks for bringing up the spider, theres the 5D variant that can actually run close to 130, jump, ECM and AMS.
And with an XL engine, i can still fit a Large Laser on that thing.

If i can overcome its butt-ugliness that is...

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Thanks for bringing up the spider, theres the 5D variant that can actually run close to 130, jump, ECM and AMS.

Any reason you want both ECM and AMS? Even having one of either ECM or Radar Deprivation you generally don't have to worry too much about missiles as long as you head for cover when you get the warning. Having both is a lot of tonnage not going towards weapons, especially for a light.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Anita Dickinme posted:

Don't get me wrong, I actually enjoy this game enough to do this... I may be a little broken.

I can understand where you're coming from, but I can say with certainty that the Myst Lynx is better than all but maybe one Spider variant, and I legit have fun playing that cute little thing. :3:

The mist lynx is almost half the speed of the spider, and has less tonnage available for equipment and armor. It's really, really bad. Worse than any spider.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

A.o.D. posted:

The mist lynx is almost half the speed of the spider, and has less tonnage available for equipment and armor. It's really, really bad. Worse than any spider.

Challenge accepted!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Cicada 2B with 5 mpl is a great build.

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.
Bro Cheeter time was good. Psy is a good wingbro. Here's a highlight. You scramble opponents brains when you zip by and your wing man is plowing him in the butt.

Another game where Cheeter went ham.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

ImpactVector posted:

Any reason you want both ECM and AMS? Even having one of either ECM or Radar Deprivation you generally don't have to worry too much about missiles as long as you head for cover when you get the warning. Having both is a lot of tonnage not going towards weapons, especially for a light.

Team support, basically.

Solis
Feb 2, 2011

Now you can take this knowledge and turn it into part of yourself.
I'm SolisDF on here - I just started playing and even if PGI are terrible this satisfies many stompy robot related urges. Any chance of an invite to WoL?

Also on an unrelated note, are centurions good mechs? I seem to have won one free despite being terrible

Solis fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jan 4, 2016

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

Solis posted:

I'm SolisDF on here - I just started playing and even if PGI are terrible this satisfies many stompy robot related urges. Any chance of an invite to WoL?

Also on an unrelated note, are centurions good mechs? I seem to have won one free despite being terrible

Check out the first page post for info.

Cent AH is a fun mech. I'd put it middle of the road if you make it a brawler.

Check out metamechs.com for some good info on how to win/cheese with mechs. The game is not very forgiving, so learning on trial and error is gonna hurt.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Team support, basically.

ECM will do more by itself that any amount of AMS ever will, you do not need it. You will not help yourself if you have AMS, you will not help your team if you have AMS.

The only thing you will ever do with AMS is waste a ton/ton-and-a-half that could otherwise be used for something useful.

Also for the record I have a triple AMS kitfox with ams range and overload, trust me when I say: it's useless.

Astroniomix fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jan 4, 2016

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost

Astroniomix posted:

ECM will do more by itself that any amount of AMS ever will, you do not need it. You will not help yourself if you have AMS, you will not help your team if you have AMS.

The only thing you will ever do with AMS is waste a ton/ton-and-a-half that could otherwise be used for something useful.

Also for the record I have a triple AMS kitfox with ams range and overload, trust me when I say: it's useless.
Yup. It's really not all that great even in a best case. Plus, if you're providing an umbrella for your team that means you're not going fast.

You can kind of get away with the support thing if you mount LLs like a RVN-3L, but even then you're probably going to be more helpful as a sneaky bastard to turn their team around just before/during the brawl. Providing bubbles to the team is what Ghost Dad is for.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Team support, basically.

Ditch the AMS. It's not worth carrying on a mech that already has ECM. Anybody in your bubble is already going to have better protection from LRMs than a single AMS would give them. They will still be vulnerable to Tags and narcs, but that's where situational awareness comes in.

Those two tons would be better served with almost anything else in them.

e: also what that goon above said. Team support role is largely a waste of that spider's excessive go-fastness. Sometimes it's worth hanging back to use your ECM to help get your heavies into position (if there's no HBRs or CTF-0XPs) but mostly you want to focus on being really ridiculously annoying to the enemy team, particularly their assaults. If you can get an assault lance to turn around during a fight, it's pure sweet sugar.

Beet Wagon fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jan 4, 2016

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Have they announced the Warhammer quirks yet?

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Well, then its no AMS. Means i dont have to put up with the spider too.

Other than that, im kinda despairing at the thought of buying every (clan)mech 3 times, those Direwolves arent exactly a dime a dozen...

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.
The 1.5 tons and 2 slots used for a basic AMS setup is better used for BAP, whether you're teamwork oriented or not. You'll counter ECM and spot targets from further away, and for your own benefit you'll get detailed target information faster which can be critical to light and medium mechs that need to hit the soft spots and run.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Yolomon Wayne posted:

AMS is dumb on light mechs because you run faster than poo poo and 99% of them will miss you anyway unless you're TAG'd or NARC'd. Any LRM's from 500m+ away are likely not going to hit you because they physically can't track that quickly

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Anita Dickinme posted:

Challenge accepted!

Just so you understand how low I'm setting the bar, I really believe that this spider is better than anything a mist lynx can bring to the table, and I'm not suggesting that build is particularly good.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Bolow posted:

AMS is dumb on light mechs because you run faster than poo poo and 99% of them will miss you anyway unless you're TAG'd or NARC'd. Any LRM's from 500m+ away are likely not going to hit you because they physically can't track that quickly

It wouldnt have been for me, but for the team.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Olesh posted:

I'm not sure when this changed - maybe with the change limiting group weights, idk - but they don't seem to split full groups from mixed groups anymore. Since a full group is limited to 600 tons, full groups are a good deal lighter tonnage-wise than mixed groups. Full groups are still a lot more of a pain in the rear end than mixed groups because of coordination, but you can get some hilarious tonnage disparities to even things out a bit.

Yeah good point, even if you don't fight another tryhard full group you end up fighting pubbies with 5 or 6 assaults on the enemy team. Or you end up against tryhard groups of 3assaults and 3 heavies with 3 pubby assaults along with them.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Yolomon Wayne posted:

The best way to support your team is to do things that directly result in the enemy team becoming dead.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

A.o.D. posted:

Just so you understand how low I'm setting the bar, I really believe that this spider is better than anything a mist lynx can bring to the table, and I'm not suggesting that build is particularly good.

I do pretty well in my Mist Lynx, but then I run it mostly as a "challenge mode" mech. Try to get to 500 damage and live for the entire match. It certainly is a lovely mech, but I enjoy running in a bad mech from time to time. See also: Summoner

The Repo Man fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jan 4, 2016

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

Astroniomix posted:

The best way to support your team is to do things that directly result in the enemy team becoming dead.

This. Because:

Yolomon Wayne posted:

You have to trust your team enough to know they can hold their own. Even taking a BAP is better, and there are so few times it's optimal soooo...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
Is anyone interested in showing up for a 12 v 12 goon inhouse event where we all gently caress around and do gimmicky bullshit that would never happen in a pub game?

ideas:
  • 12 v 12 in the basement of HPG Manifold (everyone is an assault 'mech?)
  • LRM boats only (no ECM allowed?)
  • "protect the baby" -- everyone plays Atlas but each team has 1 UrbanMech (your team loses if the Urbie dies)

• Locked thread