Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
Thanks very much for the advice about RES sites. I managed in just a few hours to work my way into an Eagle, even the "first one worth flying" as noted in the OP.
Is it worth it to fly to Imperial space to get an Imperial Eagle or just work to a Viper?

Also, is there goon chat on mumble / ts? I didn't see anything in the OP.

Nevermind, I missed the Diamond Frogs post.

Moral_Hazard fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jan 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Imp Eagle is a very fun ship but you're probably better off going directly for a viper since it's only very slightly more expensive (~70k more for a full D spec for example) and has more firepower and a bigger power distributor.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

Insert name here posted:

I, somewhat ironically, had A-grade thrusters on my Cobra to make landings easier. When I realised I was coming in too hard I nosed up and hit boost a bunch of times which turns out didn't do anything because I absent-mindedly lowered my landing gear a few seconds before. Oops. Probably would have not died like a moron if that boost had gone off.

Did you have no shields and 1% hull? That's a pretty hard landing.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

On the exploration front, I have a question about the system map icons. Lots of planets and moons have a blue 'arc' part way around them. Does that mean that it has atmosphere? Does it mean anything regarding the value of scanning?

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

The Locator posted:

On the exploration front, I have a question about the system map icons. Lots of planets and moons have a blue 'arc' part way around them. Does that mean that it has atmosphere? Does it mean anything regarding the value of scanning?

It means that you can land on them if you have Horizons.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

efb so here's a nice picture instead:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Eyud posted:

That means you can land on them (if you have Horizons).

Ah, thanks. (both of you)

Also, I guess I don't really get what 'unexplored' means in this game, because I'm out where everything is unexplored, but it also has someone else's name on it, so it's clearly been explored. What makes something go from unexplored to being known/explored?

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

The Locator posted:

Ah, thanks. (both of you)

Also, I guess I don't really get what 'unexplored' means in this game, because I'm out where everything is unexplored, but it also has someone else's name on it, so it's clearly been explored. What makes something go from unexplored to being known/explored?

It's unexplored for you. If you go scan the object it will no longer be unexplored.

Eyud posted:

efb so here's a nice picture instead:

That is the sexiest gas giant.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

It means that someone has explored it and sold the data, but you haven't bought that data :capitalism: If you look at the map while docked, you can buy exploration data by system.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Strategic Tea posted:

It means that someone has explored it and sold the data, but you haven't bought that data :capitalism: If you look at the map while docked, you can buy exploration data by system.

Ok, so I can even 'explore' systems that have the exploration data available for sale? That seems strange that anyone would buy that if it's already available.

Also, I now appear to be 356ly from my combat ship. :v:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
The idea behind this is, Universal Cartographics can always use repeat scans of something, it's of value to someone somewhere. You just get less money from it then from finding something completely new. Also you obviously don't get your name on something already discovered.

Edit:

It's always amusing to me when people go "this is strange" without taking a second to think about what those scans could be used for. Even if you're not thinking about the gameplay reason for this, nothing is ever scanned once and then forgotten in real life, why would you expect a fake world to go contrary to that?

Libluini fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jan 3, 2016

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Libluini posted:

The idea behind this is, Universal Cartographics can always use repeat scans of something, it's of value to someone somewhere. You just get less money from it then from finding something completely new. Also you obviously don't get your name on something already discovered.

Ok, cool. Just seemed odd to me. Thanks.

I found a star that was 415k ls from the jump-in point/star. It remains unexplored.

I did zoom out to a star that was 50k ls away.. discovered my little hauler can hit 450c out in the vast emptyness between those stars.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Surely they just figure more scans are more accurate (= more money), or can show changes over time, or make any interesting anomalies more apparent

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Strategic Tea posted:

Surely they just figure more scans are more accurate (= more money), or can show changes over time, or make any interesting anomalies more apparent

Exactly.

The bonus for being the first is just that, like a finders fee. The money they pay out to people who scan after that is still valuable data to them (like tracking climate on an earth-like).

It took me a bit to understand "unexplored" too - it's not in your ships database and you don't get free data even for landing at a station in the unexplored system in question.

The only data you get for "free" is what type of stars are in any given system, by way of the galactic map.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
I'm still finding new stuff. I can't say how many POIs I've visited.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

I have a vulture now, with two bread-and-butter C3 gimbaled pulses. If I want to swap it to the much praised beam/frag loadout, I'm assuming gimbaled beam, fixed frag?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

TomR posted:

I'm still finding new stuff. I can't say how many POIs I've visited.

Holy gently caress the Courier is sexy as hell :fap:1

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

Cowcaster posted:

I have a vulture now, with two bread-and-butter C3 gimbaled pulses. If I want to swap it to the much praised beam/frag loadout, I'm assuming gimbaled beam, fixed frag?

Speaking of this, what's the best way to earn cash once you're at the 50 million mark? I've got a 40 million dollar vulture kitted out for combat.

Please don't tell me it's more RES farming...

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Zigmidge posted:

Speaking of this, what's the best way to earn cash once you're at the 50 million mark? I've got a 40 million dollar vulture kitted out for combat.

Probably selling it for a hauler and getting into bulk trading, which isn't the answer you're looking for.

Welcome to Burnout Gulf.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Zigmidge posted:

Jesus I've probably never had more than ~5million in my wallet at any one time and I'm already pretty burnt out.

My plan was now that I've actually gotten a ship I'm happy with to start actually doing bulletin board missions again just to see all the aspects of the game I haven't yet (Smuggling/Assassinations/Multistage missions).

Except my Vulture doesn't have a cargo bay.

I might just end up playing CQC deathmatch until my butt falls out.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
Ever since Horizons I'll occasionally be playing for an hour or so and the textures will get really really bad. It kind of feels like playing TIE Fighter. I've heard that maybe it's because my graphics card 'only' has 2gb memory and Horizons will use over 4 if you let it. It doesn't happen on planets though, so I'm skeptical. I have an R9 270x and I've been able to play on custom ultra settings previously (actually play ultra on all games including Witcher 3 with hairworks off lol). Anyway, here's a funny picture of what I mean:

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Zigmidge posted:

Get a robigo asp and welcome to hell.

All things said I really like the robigo trips. Its relaxing with just a tiny bit of risk, but that risk is enough to make you laugh pretty hard at how dumb the game can be sometimes. I did robigo till I had around 110m (like 7 trips total?), then I started farming rep in 17 Draconis. Now I have a fully kitted out FAS for killing poo poo and raising my combat rank. I might grind more robigo to get a tradeaconda or something.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Holy gently caress the Courier is sexy as hell :fap:1

I traded in my Asp Explorer for a Courier for exploring because style.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Mike the TV posted:

Ever since Horizons I'll occasionally be playing for an hour or so and the textures will get really really bad. It kind of feels like playing TIE Fighter. I've heard that maybe it's because my graphics card 'only' has 2gb memory and Horizons will use over 4 if you let it. It doesn't happen on planets though, so I'm skeptical. I have an R9 270x and I've been able to play on custom ultra settings previously (actually play ultra on all games including Witcher 3 with hairworks off lol). Anyway, here's a funny picture of what I mean:

I have the same card as you, and the same thing has been happening to me too, every now and then. The only thing that seems to fix it is restarting the game. I get good performance too on ultra settings, with a constant 30-60 fps depending on what's going on, and my in-station FPS actually doubled from mid 20s-30s to 40-60, after the latest patch...but every now and then half the textures decide to poo poo the bed.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
One more before I go.

timn
Mar 16, 2010

Rah! posted:

I have the same card as you, and the same thing has been happening to me too, every now and then. The only thing that seems to fix it is restarting the game. I get good performance too on ultra settings, with a constant 30-60 fps depending on what's going on, and my in-station FPS actually doubled from mid 20s-30s to 40-60, after the latest patch...but every now and then half the textures decide to poo poo the bed.

Thirding this, but my card is a 7850. There are some threads about it on the Frontier forums so hopefully they're looking into it.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
Glad I'm not the only one! Yay for supercruise slowdowns and broken textures! :confuoot:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
That blur texture thing is something wrong with the engine as well, so it isn't just GPU memory. When I go above x2 DSR I get that blurred texture bit on the outfitting screen, and when I look down in the cockpit the controls where your person rests his hands will be blurry as well. I run at 3440x1440 so running DSR on top of that is a lot of pixels sure, but I run dual Titan Xs and have 12 gigs of VRAM, so it isn't like I'm going to run out. That's what leads me to believe it's an engine thing on Frontier's end just as much as it could be a GPU VRAM thing.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Get a robigo asp and welcome to hell.

All things said I really like the robigo trips. Its relaxing with just a tiny bit of risk, but that risk is enough to make you laugh pretty hard at how dumb the game can be sometimes. I did robigo till I had around 110m (like 7 trips total?), then I started farming rep in 17 Draconis. Now I have a fully kitted out FAS for killing poo poo and raising my combat rank. I might grind more robigo to get a tradeaconda or something.

I did like 3 Robigo trips post Horizons, hosed one of them up royally, and still ended up making like 40M credits in a few hours. I went from an A-spec Vulture to an A-spec FDL (with vanilla bulkheads because I'm not that loving rich) via a smuggling Asp and I really enjoyed it as a change of pace but I sure as hell don't want to do it again.

On a couple of related notes; is there any real reason to grind rep for a FAS if I already have a FDL? Pre-buff I would have ignored the FDL entirely but it seems to be at the very least on even footing with the FAS and arguably better with its stronger shields. Also if someone knows a good system to grind Fed rep with bounty hunting missions that would be nice.

TomR posted:

One more before I go.

I'm still mad that they made the Courier the coolest ship in the game while making it so small that you've outgrown it as soon as you can afford an Asp or Vulture. If it had been designed as a competitor multi role ship in the Asp size bracket I would probably never fly another ship and I could enjoy it forever.

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jan 3, 2016

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

So my venture into exploration was a bit disappointing. I scanned almost 40 systems, and upon my return home it was worth.. 768k credits. One system by itself was 168k of that, most systems are kind of junk, which isn't a terrible thing, but the profit per hour really isn't very good at all.

I can see maybe doing this as a 'zen' thing when I'm watching a game on another monitor or otherwise feel like puttering around while I'm not really invested in the game, but even a low RES site is way more money and far more engaging.

I did have one bit of excitement when I was still inside the bubble, I got interdicted by some dick NPC who gave me a "I'm not into scanning, just gonna blow you up and scoop up the wreckage" line. If I hadn't thrown a shield generator on the hauler (against the exploration guide fitting I was using) I would have gotten blown up. Thanks to the shields I was able to survive long enough to get the FSD back up and engaged at about 65% hull.

Is there any trick to avoiding those interdictions in unarmed ships? Maybe stay off the system plane, fly up first and then head to a station, or it is completely random?

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Ah, well, just like travel and all the other silly poo poo in this game - that's something, I guess. Thanks for the advice.

What does the robigo smuggling run entail?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

The Locator posted:

So my venture into exploration was a bit disappointing. I scanned almost 40 systems, and upon my return home it was worth.. 768k credits. One system by itself was 168k of that, most systems are kind of junk, which isn't a terrible thing, but the profit per hour really isn't very good at all.

I can see maybe doing this as a 'zen' thing when I'm watching a game on another monitor or otherwise feel like puttering around while I'm not really invested in the game, but even a low RES site is way more money and far more engaging.

I did have one bit of excitement when I was still inside the bubble, I got interdicted by some dick NPC who gave me a "I'm not into scanning, just gonna blow you up and scoop up the wreckage" line. If I hadn't thrown a shield generator on the hauler (against the exploration guide fitting I was using) I would have gotten blown up. Thanks to the shields I was able to survive long enough to get the FSD back up and engaged at about 65% hull.

Is there any trick to avoiding those interdictions in unarmed ships? Maybe stay off the system plane, fly up first and then head to a station, or it is completely random?

Yeah, you need an interest in space exploration to do space exploration in Elite. The money alone really won't be able to motivate you.

Tricks to avoid interdictions:

1. Make sure to be at 75% throttle and win the mini game. Apparently staying at that point makes fighting interdictions easier.
2. Stay outside the bubble. The farther away you are the less will NPCs spawn. Far enough away you get zero spawns.

And no and yes, it's and it's not random: The interdictions only happen if there are NPCs with a bee in their bonnet targeting you, but the spawning of NPCs itself is random. Anarchy and systems with less security will spawn more pirates and systems with higher security more space police.

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

RabidWeasel posted:

I did like 3 Robigo trips post Horizons, hosed one of them up royally, and still ended up making like 40M credits in a few hours. I went from an A-spec Vulture to an A-spec FDL (with vanilla bulkheads because I'm not that loving rich) via a smuggling Asp and I really enjoyed it as a change of pace but I sure as hell don't want to do it again.

On a couple of related notes; is there any real reason to grind rep for a FAS if I already have a FDL? Pre-buff I would have ignored the FDL entirely but it seems to be at the very least on even footing with the FAS and arguably better with its stronger shields. Also if someone knows a good system to grind Fed rep with bounty hunting missions that would be nice.

I'm still mad that they made the Courier the coolest ship in the game while making it so small that you've outgrown it as soon as you can afford an Asp or Vulture. If it had been designed as a competitor multi role ship in the Asp size bracket I would probably never fly another ship and I could enjoy it forever.

I enjoy flying the FAS a lot more than flying the FDL, I think it just comes down to preference.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SiUsPSynIo

Feds have some good interdictors

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

24-7 Urkel Cosplay posted:

I enjoy flying the FAS a lot more than flying the FDL, I think it just comes down to preference.

What would you say the difference is like, from all the 'numbers' I can find the FDL has better lateral thrusters but slightly worse pitch/roll and deceleration, which I guess makes the FDL slightly better at FA off flight but the FAS is otherwise a little more agile and requires less use of FAO anyway. Doesn't really seem worth the huge drop in shield strength.

I'd just try the FAS out in game but need rep so I'm currently trying to figure out if it's really worth the effort :v:

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

FINED $200 FOR "BUMPIN UP THE JAMS" IN A GENTRIFIED AREA OF SPACE

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

RabidWeasel posted:

What would you say the difference is like, from all the 'numbers' I can find the FDL has better lateral thrusters but slightly worse pitch/roll and deceleration, which I guess makes the FDL slightly better at FA off flight but the FAS is otherwise a little more agile and requires less use of FAO anyway. Doesn't really seem worth the huge drop in shield strength.

I'd just try the FAS out in game but need rep so I'm currently trying to figure out if it's really worth the effort :v:

The FAS is a hull tank instead-- the shields are there to slow down the rate at which you lose hull to ramming/weapons fire (mostly ramming). The FAS has amazing pitch and yaw, I had absolutely no complaints about its controls whereas I always thought the FDL felt like something was actively slowing down all of its movements.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

The Locator posted:

Alt+F4 :v:

There is a trick and that is to fly near scooping range of a star and then flip over so that your butt is pointed towards the star. You have to be behind a target to interdict someone.

I'm not running shields and weapons in my exploration ship just for that dumb bubble interdiction and will be really mad if I get blown up on my way back.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Xtanstic posted:

There is a trick and that is to fly near scooping range of a star and then flip over so that your butt is pointed towards the star. You have to be behind a target to interdict someone.

I'm not running shields and weapons in my exploration ship just for that dumb bubble interdiction and will be really mad if I get blown up on my way back.

I put the shields on because it only made about 0.3ly difference in the jump range, and I figured it gave me a little bit of margin. Turned out to be a good idea when the dumb NPC interdicted me and I failed at the mini-game.

The hauler only has a single hard point, I didn't bother putting anything on it, so it's run away and pray, the shield just gives me a little bit more running time.

Edit: I outfitted my Cobra to try mining. Sucks just as expected, but now I know how it works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

RabidWeasel posted:

I didn't like fighting in the FDL because you have to keep your target below you in order to use the C4 hardpoint, so it was harder for me to keep a target. With the FAS I was able to keep my target sighted nearly the entire time and the top hardpoint has amazing range if you use a gimbal. I left the CZ because I had run out of ammo, but still had 74% hull.

• Locked thread