Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
First mistake is an honest misspeaking.

Second mistake was me not knowing the whole story. That sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I feel like Bonfireside Chat is kiiiiinda reaching when they say the DLC makes Cainhurst and the Chalice Dungeons irrelevant out of desire to be done with the Chalices.

Mind you, maybe I'll think differently when the episodes come out.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I feel like Bonfireside Chat is kiiiiinda reaching when they say the DLC makes Cainhurst and the Chalice Dungeons irrelevant out of desire to be done with the Chalices.

Mind you, maybe I'll think differently when the episodes come out.

We never said it was out of desire to be done with Chalices, it's more that ignoring chalices is a possible pleasant side effect. DLC Spoilers It's because the DLC presents an alternative and largely more satisfying instigating event than finding blood and/or Ebrietas in the chalices. It has nothing to do with our wanted them excised. We were being flippant about that because narratively, they're not really necessary anymore. Also, we love Cainhurst. It's just the Pthumerian stuff is less interesting to us than the Fishing Village/Bergenwyrth stuff.

Woffle fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Dec 30, 2015

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Woffle posted:

We never said it was out of desire to be done with Chalices, it's more than ignoring chalices is a possible pleasant side effect. DLC Spoilers It's because the DLC presents an alternative and largely more satisfying instigating event than finding blood and/or Ebrietas in the chalices. It has nothing to do with our wanted them excised. We were being flippant about that because narratively, they're not really necessary anymore. Also, we love Cainhurst. It's just the Pthumerian stuff is less interesting to us than the Fishing Village/Bergenwyrth stuff.

That's all fair, and I'm looking forward to the DLC episodes.

I think everyone loves Cainhurst, it's the painted world of Bloodborne.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
Cainhurst is unequivocally great. Even if the larger lore connections are called into question, the Forsaken Castle is a highlight.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Also I kinda think you guys heard about this since, but with the sale on and in case anyone else didn't: one of the games mentioned in the "PSP titles that will never be loved again" roster on the Rocket Slime extrasode got a nicer PC port recently and is sub-$4

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Bit late to the Christmas VG music jam but here's the Christmassiest track in all games:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEyCBOOl50g

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

END ME SCOOB posted:

Also I kinda think you guys heard about this since, but with the sale on and in case anyone else didn't: one of the games mentioned in the "PSP titles that will never be loved again" roster on the Rocket Slime extrasode got a nicer PC port recently and is sub-$4

That's awesome, actually. I remember it being a really good game.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
After hearing the Retronauts state of the union, I just feel I need to apologize for that weird "so is Jeremy leaving" comment last week and I look forward to the next year of shows.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I love using the giant bomb GOTY podcasts for driving material. That said, I think it's time they retire their "best story" category. It's painfully boring listening to them describe the plots of each game beat for beat and doesn't really offer that much as a category that isn't already covered by 'best character" or one of their other plot categories.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

PantsBandit posted:

I love using the giant bomb GOTY podcasts for driving material. That said, I think it's time they retire their "best story" category. It's painfully boring listening to them describe the plots of each game beat for beat and doesn't really offer that much as a category that isn't already covered by 'best character" or one of their other plot categories.
Yes Best Character where Francis York Morgan was nearly discounted as a character and Cave Johnson was disqualified for not having a 3D avatar in the game. Great category.

Not to say you're wrong it just reminded me of how terrible virtually all of their categories usually are because (usually) Brad attempts to disqualify whatever he doesn't like by way of a technicality.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Akuma posted:

Yes Best Character where Francis York Morgan was nearly discounted as a character and Cave Johnson was disqualified for not having a 3D avatar in the game. Great category.

Not to say you're wrong it just reminded me of how terrible virtually all of their categories usually are because (usually) Brad attempts to disqualify whatever he doesn't like by way of a technicality.

Yeah I'm just saying having a category as broad as "best story" just leads to a whole bunch of meaningless jabbering. The more focused plot awards are more conducive to real discussion at least.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

The real problem with any GOTY "Best Story" category is that it's mostly going to be a tallest pygmy contest.

sub supau fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jan 1, 2016

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
"the witcher 3 has a bad story because im spending 30 hours doing procedural quests and they're repetitive/not well written" was a painfully bad argument to hear

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

PantsBandit posted:

Yeah I'm just saying having a category as broad as "best story" just leads to a whole bunch of meaningless jabbering. The more focused plot awards are more conducive to real discussion at least.

I dunno, the discussion of Soma and Cradle made me interested in those games

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

PantsBandit posted:

I agree with this, when that came up as the last category of the day with 2 hours left on the podcast I was thinking "ohhhhh poo poo here comes a bloodbath" but it was really 90 minutes of straight plot summaries and a little bit of debate afterwards.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I've been going back and listening to Three Moves Ahead from the very first episode (well, #2). It's really interesting listen to a podcast develop over that length of time, but also to listen to a pretty focused topic of discussion evolve over that length of time. Are there any other podcasts that delve into a particular genre or type of gaming to that level of depth?

I can think of Roguelike Radio but not much else along those lines, but I'm sure there is more like this out there.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

PantsBandit posted:

Oh great, this is where I left off on my listen-through. I like their GOTY stuff as a summary of the year since I'm usually only buying one or two games each year, but man it's a marathon to get through it all.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I really enjoyed the crate and crowbar approach of just discussing games that came out rather than bothering with rankings and all that nonsense. I also love their discussion of gta 5 and the wildly different opinions they have on it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
half the fun of the giant bomb gotycasts is their verbal knife fights over what stays on a list and what gets cut, especially during years when there's so many good games like 2015

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I don't miss that at all.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Jippa posted:

I don't miss that at all.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I think the last giantbomb game of the year I remember listening too was this long drawn out argument between vinny and brad about which dlc was better some bioshock 2 thing and some thing else. It was exhausting.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
As the dude who already doesn't listen to 3ish hours a week of Bombcasts, I just download those and listen only to the categories I'm curious about. I can't take the whole thing.

RetroHelix
Oct 24, 2004

No home should be without one.

Jippa posted:

I think the last giantbomb game of the year I remember listening too was this long drawn out argument between vinny and brad about which dlc was better some bioshock 2 thing and some thing else. It was exhausting.

The good ol' Mass Effect 2 Shadow Broker DLC vs Bioshock 2 Minerva's Den DLC "debate" from 2010. Vinny was arguing for Shadow Broker, Brad for Minerva's Den. I love the GB GOTY stuff but that's a prime example to bring up if they're not your cup of tea. To be fair though, that's probably the single worst segment of their GOTY stuff ever.

Chris Remo
Sep 11, 2005

Jippa posted:

I really enjoyed the crate and crowbar approach of just discussing games that came out rather than bothering with rankings and all that nonsense. I also love their discussion of gta 5 and the wildly different opinions they have on it.

FWIW, that's basically just what Rob and Danielle did on Idle Weekend. (Shameless plug.)

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I don't listen to the full GOTY podcasts but it's just nice to actually have them talk about a story without being afraid of spoiling something. Apart from GOTY so many podcasts never really discuss the story of any game (except for rare spoilercasts), which is kind of a shame since it could lead to some interesting discussion.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Years of listening to WOFF have made me like a lot of other game podcasts way less, because "oh I played this for 3 hours, here's my spoiler-free opinions" doesn't feel worthwhile to listen to compared to the sort of in depth discussion you get from the book club format.

On that note, any other podcasts I should be looking into for that sort of thing? Retronauts, probably?

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

HMS Boromir posted:

Years of listening to WOFF have made me like a lot of other game podcasts way less, because "oh I played this for 3 hours, here's my spoiler-free opinions" doesn't feel worthwhile to listen to compared to the sort of in depth discussion you get from the book club format.

On that note, any other podcasts I should be looking into for that sort of thing? Retronauts, probably?

Cain and Rinse does this pretty well too. http://caneandrinse.com/

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

HMS Boromir posted:

Retronauts is not a good alternative if you're looking for podcasts with in-depth discussion in the same way WOFF does it.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

SpannerX posted:

I tried listening to it a while ago and found it a little too... low energy, I guess? Didn't quite grab me. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Tir McDohl posted:

Retronauts is not a good alternative if you're looking for podcasts with in-depth discussion in the same way WOFF does it.

Could you clarify what you mean by that?

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

HMS Boromir posted:

One of my main complaints about Retronauts (and not everyone is going to agree) is that they zoom past discussions quickly, as if they are trying to burn topics as fast as possible.

But I think its inarguable that they don't tend to discuss stories or spoilers at all.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

HMS Boromir posted:

I tried listening to it a while ago and found it a little too... low energy, I guess? Didn't quite grab me. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Retronauts usually talks about the history of a game and its impact on the market more than the game itself. There are more people talking or multiple topics covered so the show itself is faster and tightly paced.

If you want to know why the popularity of Such-and-Such was the result of brilliant marketing or how XYZ was a huge leap over ZYX then listen to Retronauts. If you want to listen to someone who just got finished with the game break down its components then you're going to be disappointed.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Ah. Well that sounds like it could be interesting too, if done well. I'll still check them out, but I'll temper my expectations accordingly. Thanks.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

SpannerX posted:

On a related note, we have Josh Garrity on BSC pretty soon for the Bloodborne DLC and I'm excited. I've only dipped into a couple of Cain and Rinse episodes but I like those guys.

RE: Retronauts, I'm so glad we don't do the same thing they do because I don't want to be in direct competition. I love Retronauts because the hosts and guests are generally more knowledgeable than we are. The way I've thought about it before is that the Retronauts (especially Jeremy) are historians and for that angle, I'm not sure you can do much better. If you're looking for a place to start, I'd recommend one of the episodes where they run a series. It's not WOFF-like but I really enjoy vicariously getting an understanding of a series I'll have never have time to play. For example, with Devil May Cry, I just had a vague understanding that it was about anime boix shooting and slashing but the episode articulated the changes between entries in a way I appreciated.

For what Kole and I do, I've settled into thinking of it as something like a critical let's play. We do some research but it's honestly, because of time restraints, it's sort of cursory.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

HMS Boromir posted:

FYI you should listen to Retronauts and give it lots of money

VocalizePlayerDeath
Jan 29, 2009

I listened to some episodes of Retronauts and they seem well composed I just really hate retro games and it seems very Nintendo focused.
My first Nintendo games were Bayonetta 2 and Splatoon. So I have a long wait ahead of me.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Why would you even attempt to listen to a retro-focused podcast named Retronauts if you hate retro games?

VocalizePlayerDeath
Jan 29, 2009

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Why would you even attempt to listen to a retro-focused podcast named Retronauts if you hate retro games?

I saw the words, Baldur's Gate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

KoldPT posted:

I'm just dropping in to let everyone know to please listen to Idle Weekend. It's my favorite gaming podcast I've ever listened to - the chemistry between Rob and Danielle is something I was not expecting to be so strong, even though I was already hoping the podcast would be good. I started listening to Idle Thumbs because Danielle had become a regular, and while it's not like her absence has made the show worse, it's changed the tone a little bit - Weekend brings that "hey I played x game and it was great because ____" feel back, together with a really tight focus you get from having less cast members, and the capacity they have to discuss stuff beyond videogames.

I've yet to listen to yesterday's episode, but I'm sure it'll keep the quality the first two had. Go listen to it!

Yeah, this. I liked both of them in other podcasts and so far it's been great. Just the two of them means it's cosy and quite personal and they're absolute naturals. It's a cool conversation we're allowed to eavesdrop on. Considering how many podcasts are really, uh, "tryhard" (for want of a better term), this has become an instant must-listen for me.

• Locked thread