Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

BrianWilly posted:

I'm loving Legends of Wonder Woman. It was a little slow starting up but it's turning into one of the most epic and engaging WW stories I've read. I like that it's not very "meta" or self-referential...like, there are no quips about invisible planes or star-spangled underwear or anything like that. It really is just a forthright, sincere story about a young princess who has to step up to save the world.
It holds up quite well. I've always said that the intro arc is pretty much tailor-made for a modern movie script with very few changes necessary.

Perez's run is one of the most definitive and cohesive Wonder Woman runs to the point that I don't think anyone can really "understand" post-Crisis Wonder Woman without having perused it. If you've read Rucka, for instance, there's a bunch of things in there where you'll be like "Oh, so that's what Rucka was referencing." Perez's worldbuilding is incredible, not just by WW standards, but by by all standards, period. His development and characterization of the Amazons still makes all other Amazons characterizations feel halfassed in comparison.

There's just a couple drawbacks to the run I could name off the top of my head.
-It starts hella strong but does start to deteriorate bit by bit by bit the further it goes. The descent is so gradual that you'd hardly notice but, well, it's there. The end of the run gets seriously clusterfucky.
-In retrospect, Vanessa Kapatelis was...like, the worst character. :v: I get what Perez was trying to do by inserting a teenage girl as an audience-surrogate, and she does eventually get involved in some of the most emotional moments of the run, but holy gods was she annoying most of the time. She's definitely the one element of Perez's run that comes across hopelessly dated, especially compared to the gamut of likable, engaging teenage characters that folks have learned to write since then.

I hold the, I think, second Perez Annual as one of my favourite single issues of all time. That's Who Killed Mindi Meyer?, right? Cause that's the story I mean. Does a fantastic job of making you realise how much Perez managed to build up a tertiary character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Swillkitsch posted:

Black Canary is still pretty great too. I'm hoping Annie Wu stays on the art for awhile. If the arc is concluding with the next issue, it'll be too soon. I still want to know who Kurt is, but based on what y'all said about Team Seven and the New 52 Birds of Prey I guess I'll continue to live with the mystery.

Kurt was Dinah's wife and Team Seven teammate. Then he died. Then he wasn't dead but had amnesia. Also he was doing something to affect her powers, I dunno.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I just found out about 1985's DC Challenge where there was a new creative team for each of the twelve issues and the whole point was seemingly to give the next person down the line the most ridiculous set of characters and events to tie up, and it was full of inside jokes.

Anyone read it? Is it as fun as it sounds?

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

quote:

Perez's run is one of the most definitive and cohesive Wonder Woman runs to the point that I don't think anyone can really "understand" post-Crisis Wonder Woman without having perused it. If you've read Rucka, for instance, there's a bunch of things in there where you'll be like "Oh, so that's what Rucka was referencing." Perez's worldbuilding is incredible, not just by WW standards, but by by all standards, period. His development and characterization of the Amazons still makes all other Amazons characterizations feel halfassed in comparison.

I completely agree with all of this.

Perez WW kicks rear end, and is totally worth your time.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
So the JLA trades are confusing the gently caress out of me. I want all of Morrison's run, which appears to be JLA Vol. 1-4, with Vol. 5 being Mark Waid's run. However, I also want Tower of Babel by Waid, which apparently isn't included in Vol. 5 or any of the preceding volumes? Is it just a separate collection for some reason?

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Volume 4 is part Morrison and part Waid. It's in there.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Dunbar posted:

Volume 4 is part Morrison and part Waid. It's in there.

Weird, the Wiki article for Tower of Babel says it's JLA #43-46, but on Barnes & Noble's site (their buy 2, get 1 one free sale always cleans out my wallet), it says Vol. 4 collects JLA #36-41. I figured it must have had Tower of Babel since the cover for Vol. 4 is the same as the one for Tower of Babel, but that discrepancy was tripping me up.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Weird, the Wiki article for Tower of Babel says it's JLA #43-46, but on Barnes & Noble's site (their buy 2, get 1 one free sale always cleans out my wallet), it says Vol. 4 collects JLA #36-41. I figured it must have had Tower of Babel since the cover for Vol. 4 is the same as the one for Tower of Babel, but that discrepancy was tripping me up.

I think the hardcover and paperback editions have different material - the hardcovers only collected the comics written by Morrison and excluded the various fill-ins by Mark Millar and Mark Waid (e.g. the stories with Amazo and Julian September, and possibly the No Man's Land tie-in, though I'm less sure about that one) whereas the paperbacks have every issues consecutively. Maybe that has something to do with it?

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

That Amazo story is a good Amazo story. One of my Wee Nerd Child toe-dips into close reading was realizing that for (many) DC characters (much of the time), the slogan was the power. It didn't matter how terrible the science or plain real-world logic would have to be, that's just how it was: the Flash was the fastest man alive, because gently caress you. The DC universe openly functioned on narrative logic. Seeing Good Mark Millar clearly agree with my past child-self owned. Amazo has all the powers of the Justice League, because eat me fucko, so disbanding the League totally depowers him.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
That sure does sound like a Morrison idea. He has written a few stuff for Miller at other times...it'd be hilarious if he ghost wrote a fill in on his own run.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

It sounds like a Millar idea. Like, him and Grant are at a bar, and Mark makes a joke about Amazo losing its powers when the JLA disbands. They laugh, and it ends up as a comic.

I figure that's the same way we got Skrull Kill Krew. Pre fame Millar seemed like he'd be a fun guy to hang out with. Few beers, few laughs, and end up with comic script so you can afford to do it again.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

It's also great that the Atom applied some science-thinkin' to go "Oh yeah, reality works like a children's story—how would a five-year-old try to beat Amazo?". He'd be a terrible physicist if he didn't at some point realize that science consisted mainly of nursery rhyme-grade logic puzzles, and punching.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I missed this earlier DC Fans Take Action...and Succeed!

quote:

“It’s a great time to be a DC fan.”

We say that a lot around here, and it IS a great time to be a fan. But what’s the best time to be a fan? When does it feel like the absolute greatest thing in the world? When as a fan, you’re able to make things happen, and we saw quite a bit of that in 2015.

In June, DC Comics announced that in 2016 they’d be publishing a new six-issue Poison Ivy miniseries by Amy Chu and Clay Mann. Ivy’s a great character and has long been a favorite among readers, but support for Ms. Isley has risen to unprecedented new levels recently, particularly on social media. Just check out the #PoisonIvyLeague hashtag on Twitter if you don’t believe us. Or heck, have you looked at the #DCYou hashtag lately? Nearly half of what appears in it is Poison Ivy-related. Fans love the character, and you’d better believe that’s one of the reasons Poison Ivy will be getting her own comic next year.

But in addition to helping to bring about a new comic, 2015 was the year that we also saw fans help save an existing one. In September, DC announced that they were cancelling The Omega Men, the sci-fi thriller with deeply political undertones written by Tom King and drawn primarily by Barnaby Bagenda. The definition of underrated, Omega Men may not have as many readers as Batman or Justice League, but the ones it has are dedicated and weren’t shy about sharing that dedication on Twitter and Facebook. The outcry was instantaneous and loud, and when DC later reversed the decision and said they’d be giving The Omega Men the full twelve issues that were originally promised, so was the celebration.

Fans have a voice, and while it’s most often used to dictate what doesn’t succeed, we’ve begun seeing it used increasingly to foster success—to fight for things that are right on the cusp. And it’s not just comic books. When NBC cancelled Constantine after a single abbreviated season, fans took to Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and just about any website with a comments field to lobby for another network to pick it up by using the #SaveConstantine hashtag. And while the fight for another season may not have proven successful, the fans nonetheless did win a pretty cool victory this fall when Matt Ryan’s trenchcoat-clad sorcerer made a return to the small screen on Arrow. Will we see him again? Producers have said that they have no plans, but if we learned anything this year, it’s that if fans are loud enough and organized enough, plans have a way of changing.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
The middle paragraph is kind of hilariously patting on back.

"We cancelled this book before it reached it's 12 issues like we promised, but then you got mad at us enough that we decided to change our minds and only cancel it at 12 issues instead!"

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Teenage Fansub posted:

I just found out about 1985's DC Challenge where there was a new creative team for each of the twelve issues and the whole point was seemingly to give the next person down the line the most ridiculous set of characters and events to tie up, and it was full of inside jokes.

Anyone read it? Is it as fun as it sounds?

It is worth the read just because it's so unlike anything else. Each issue ends with commentary by the writers describing the narrative situations thrown at them and how they cared to get out of them (if they even tried to!). The story definitely loses the plot at certain points but as a round-robin story, what-ya-gonna-do.

I even made myself a hardcover version a few years back:

bobkatt013 posted:

I was wondering how the Perez Wonder Women is? Is it worth a read! Does it hold up?
Jesus yes.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jan 4, 2016

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I believe the Pérez WW omnibus can be acquired pretty cheaply at the moment.

As a matter of fact, I pre-ordered the second one via Amazon UK when it was announced, and last time I checked the price had dropped to about £18 - now that's pretty good for what's likely to be a 600-page oversized hardcover, considering I've bought TPBs that were more expensive than that.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Wheat Loaf posted:

As a matter of fact, I pre-ordered the second one via Amazon UK when it was announced, and last time I checked the price had dropped to about £18 - now that's pretty good for what's likely to be a 600-page oversized hardcover, considering I've bought TPBs that were more expensive than that.

I got it all off comixology and looking forward to reading it.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Wheat Loaf posted:

£25 right now, actually, but that's still really good. Hell, if the first one is still around £30 in a few weeks, I may take the plunge and replace my old dog-eared tpbs.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Right - since I pre-ordered it, I get it for whatever the lowest price it drops to is, so it must have gone back up.

Ferret
Oct 9, 2003
Okay I know I'm one of like, 3 people on the planet reading Superman / Wonder Woman, but I've gotta vent. The most recent storyline growing out of Supes depower and Diana's ascension to God of War-hood has been utterly retarded. Sudden, drastically different characterizations to justify a will-they/won't-they split up tension is just amateur hour. I thought putting Clark and Diana together was a bold and interesting move on the launch of the New 52, and I'm pretty disappointed to see it handled this way.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Ferret posted:

Okay I know I'm one of like, 3 people on the planet reading Superman / Wonder Woman, but I've gotta vent. The most recent storyline growing out of Supes depower and Diana's ascension to God of War-hood has been utterly retarded. Sudden, drastically different characterizations to justify a will-they/won't-they split up tension is just amateur hour. I thought putting Clark and Diana together was a bold and interesting move on the launch of the New 52, and I'm pretty disappointed to see it handled this way.

Every time Superman and Wonder Woman got together, it has been the opposite of bold and interesting.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Honestly Tomasi should only write Batman books because that area is what he excels at the most. Good JSA run too but that team doesn't quite exist anymore so moot point. Superman/Wonder Woman has been floundering for a long time and he can't save it. No one can.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

lotus circle posted:

Honestly Tomasi should only write Batman books because that area is what he excels at the most. Good JSA run too but that team doesn't quite exist anymore so moot point. Superman/Wonder Woman has been floundering for a long time and he can't save it. No one can.

I really enjoyed his Green Lantern Corps :colbert:

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent

Ferret posted:

Okay I know I'm one of like, 3 people on the planet reading Superman / Wonder Woman
That's because me and the other one don't want others to know.

Yeah, the whole annual was clearly editorial mandate to wrap up the relationship in time for BvS.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Equeen posted:

Every time Superman and Wonder Woman got together, it has been the opposite of bold and interesting.

It was interesting in Kingdom Come, but only because it was the end of the story and allowed for a good Batman moment.

Though Bruce has terrible taste in how to cook a steak.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

It was interesting in Kingdom Come, but only because it was the end of the story and allowed for a good Batman moment.

Though Bruce has terrible taste in how to cook a steak.

Also Lois was gone and it was more about the two of them being more human and less gods.
Is there anything that needs to be read before Omega men? Is anything in regards to Kyle Rayner important to get the story or is he just in it?

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

bobkatt013 posted:

Is there anything that needs to be read before Omega men? Is anything in regards to Kyle Rayner important to get the story or is he just in it?

So long as you start with the free preview issue, which establishes how The Omega Man portray themselves and Kyle to the galaxy, you should be fine.
In fact, with regard to the seven issues currently out, you should be at kind of an advantage, as Kyle was previously a White Lantern with the cosmos as his oyster, and Omega Men reverts him to Green status acting on behalf of the Corps. If there was a story linking the change, I missed it, so better to go in blind.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

SM/WW sure was a huge waste of Doug Mahnke.
The comic was good under Soule :colbert:

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Anything that doesn't involve Vera Black in almost every panel, is a waste of Doug Mahnke. :colbert:

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I had a really vivid dream about Kyle Rayner the other day and I'm choosing to interpret it as a sign. What's he been up to nowadays? Is it worth catching up to his shenanigans?

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

He's been hanging out with terrorists/revolutionaries in Omega Men which has been great. Kyle himself is written pretty well.

That's the only recent Kyle Rayner thing worth reading.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Kylo Rayne, temper tantrum-throwing Green Lantern. I'd read it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sentinel Red posted:

Kylo Rayne, temper tantrum-throwing Green Lantern. I'd read it.

I would accept this if he murdered Hal Jordan with a green lightsaber.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

I would accept this if he murdered Hal Jordan with a green lightsaber.

A true hero of the galaxy

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Well it looks like Swamp Thing is returning to its gothic horror roots (pun intended) which isn't a terrible thing, but it does seem like a step back after all the excellent writers and stories that preceded this issue. It's clear Wein is trying to channel the original stories he did way back in the day with Wrightson, and while Jones isn't a Bernie Wrightson himself he isn't a slouch either. Jones' artwork goes well with the story and it is solidly done. The story is pure horror so not really much in the way of characterization, especially for ST.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

If you miss Animal Man, you should pick up today's Midnighter.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Man, Fernandez is knocking out of the park

:allears:

If only he weren't using the idiotic Destro helmet it would be perfect.

And Lobdell is no slouch either, we're finally getting some explanation on what the gently caress are the Nethers and hey, JD is actually named Duela. Who knew? :v:

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:
Javier Fernandez loving slayed it on Magneto too, the coloring just wasnt nearly as good as those pages. He's really great and apparently super reliable to finish books every month.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

and hey, JD is actually named Duela. Who knew? :v:
Not sure if you're joking or not here - Joker's Daughter has always very obviously been Duela Dent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emo Szyslak
Feb 25, 2006

I think he means current continuity.

But also, it's Joker's Daughter, so who gives a poo poo?

• Locked thread