Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

mandatory lesbian posted:

Like yeah that's true but it gets blocked easily, so something like Fairy Conclave or Trampling Ape Forest land I can't remember the name of seem better, to me

I'm not saying it's wrong, I just didn't see a lot of removal from the Jeskai Deck so it seemed loose (course I guess Fatestitcher can tap blockers so that's not necessarily a problem)

It's one of those things where I would need to play it myself and i like goofy combo decks so i probably will

You can Gifts for all 3!

E: Treetop doesn't work well for the deck as far as I know though, the deck will want the R/U land probably when that becomes available though

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jan 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

little munchkin posted:

*opponent casts nothing but removal spells and a turn-10 Tasigur* Man I just can't deal with this tempo or these midrange beatdowns.

Where you refering to Jund or Grixis? Couldn't tell by that description *midrange not midrange*

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
The only real Modern control deck is U-Tron. :shittydog:

Kraus
Jan 17, 2008
So, what are the deck construction rules for Paper Pauper? I can only find this online nonsense.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I would be surprised if enough permission is ever printed that would be viable in Modern for a traditional control deck to ever see play there. All of the decks are too threat dense.

edit: Especially because it's hard to design permission that has enough impact to run but that won't just fit better in some tempo deck instead.

Kraus posted:

So, what are the deck construction rules for Paper Pauper? I can only find this online nonsense.

It's too bad all of that online nonsense, aka literally where the format came from, loving this up and making it hard. You would have to ask the TO because some places just stick with the online banlist but others ban the paper cards that aren't available in online pauper.

rabidsquid fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jan 3, 2016

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Whatever happened to UWR :jerkbag:Jeskai:jerkbag: control in Modern?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

JerryLee posted:

It was bad even after it won worlds or whatever format it was 2 years ago and it's gotten worse since then, mainly because every other deck got stronger and stronger tools while the shell it has is pretty much unchanged

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Some people who really want to play control kept trying to play it and it did okay considering it's neither a strong meta deck or strong in a vacuum compared to other options.

There was that really short period of time where people thought Jeskai Ascendancy was going to be banned and unbeatable. That was sort of cute :v:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

rabidsquid posted:

Some people who really want to play control kept trying to play it and it did okay considering it's neither a strong meta deck or strong in a vacuum compared to other options.

There was that really short period of time where people thought Jeskai Ascendancy was going to be banned and unbeatable. That was sort of cute :v:

It did technically get banned out.

Foreskin Problems
Nov 4, 2012

It's doing fine, actually.
Anyone have that picture of Jim Cramer? Relic of Progenitus hit a high of nine dollars today.

Kraus
Jan 17, 2008

rabidsquid posted:

I would be surprised if enough permission is ever printed that would be viable in Modern for a traditional control deck to ever see play there. All of the decks are too threat dense.

edit: Especially because it's hard to design permission that has enough impact to run but that won't just fit better in some tempo deck instead.

It's too bad all of that online nonsense, aka literally where the format came from, loving this up and making it hard. You would have to ask the TO because some places just stick with the online banlist but others ban the paper cards that aren't available in online pauper.

You're helpful.

So, in paper, are all sets legal, or just whatever sets exist online? Is there a list of what sets exists online?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Foreskin Problems posted:

Anyone have that picture of Jim Cramer? Relic of Progenitus hit a high of nine dollars today.

What the actual gently caress

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Magic must be stopped

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Kraus posted:

You're helpful.

So, in paper, are all sets legal, or just whatever sets exist online? Is there a list of what sets exists online?

You have to find out from the TO which ban list they're using. Pauper isn't a sanctioned format. The major power cards that don't exist online are Hymn to Tourach, Sinkhole, and High Tide. Hymn and High Tide are very cheap, Sinkhole is not. Hymn is very powerful, High Tide is not so strong since Frantic Search is banned.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
It's not that long ago that UW and UWR control were significant Modern players, and that Tec Edges did a lot of their best work in killing off the one threatening Celestial Colonnade among the opponent's land glut.

Worlds 2013 had five of the sixteen decks (Juza, Cifka, Watanabe, Stark, Nakamura) on 4 Colonnades, 26 total lands, 4 Snapcasters, 1 Gideon, and the rest draw or answer spells, including 2 Revelations. Plus Shahar and Martell's UWR Flash decks which were only barely more aggressive, since they still had the 4 Colonnades and 26 total lands and double Revelations.

Modern isn't conceptually and inherently unsuited to control. That's just the state of the format now.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Star Man posted:

Ban graveyards. There, I fixed Magic.

Ken Nagle spotted.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Is Grixis really a tempo deck? I could maybe see the old build with anglers as being one but now typically its only non snapcaster/JVP threats are 2 Tasigurs and one Pia and Kiran. Basically everything else is disruption and filtering, with Kolaghan's Command providing a way to grind out card advantage with your flashback guys.

Maybe it could play out as a tempo deck if you slam Tasigur turn 2 but I don't think that's the deck's primary plan. It seems to just be control.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

rabidsquid posted:

High Tide is not so strong since Frantic Search is banned.

Snap and Cloud of Faeries are not and the High Tide decks were busted enough at Card Kingdom's first Pauper tournament that they decided it needed to be banned for the second.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Some Numbers posted:

Snap and Cloud of Faeries are not and the High Tide decks were busted enough at Card Kingdom's first Pauper tournament that they decided it needed to be banned for the second.

Oh yeah, I thought Cloud was banned but it isn't. It just fell off the face of the earth when Cloudpost got banned.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

There is a cloud deck, but I thought the issue was that the combo takes an insane amount of time to play out online. Could be a good one in paper.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I don't know, I play enchantress online and that's probably the slowest deck you could possibly play. At least in Pauper you have a 2 power creature to beat down with.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Irony Be My Shield posted:

There is a cloud deck, but I thought the issue was that the combo takes an insane amount of time to play out online. Could be a good one in paper.

I think it's less than it takes time and more that it's monotonous. You have to click through every iteration of Ghostly Flicker/Cloud of Faeries/Mnemonic Wall.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Zoness posted:

Ken Nagle spotted.

That cuts deep. Real deep.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

JerryLee posted:

lol, it's been over a year since Khans came out and you're still mad they started using the clans as wedge names

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
There were a couple weeks where paper commons were legal online - Hymn and Sinkhole, High Tide, Goblin Grenade and Guerrilla Tactics. That was a fun couple of weeks.

rabidsquid posted:

Oh yeah, I thought Cloud was banned but it isn't. It just fell off the face of the earth when Cloudpost got banned.

Familiar Storm is almost certainly the best deck online, it just takes a ton of effort and it isn't that much better to be worth the hassle. Also Delver into Cloud of Faeries into Spellstutter Sprite is hard to beat for most decks.

Ban Cloud of Faeries and also Delver.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Kraus posted:

You're helpful.

There is no official paper WOTC pauper banned list. The only official pauper banlist is for MODO. That is the only place that WOTC officially supports it as a format. The issue is there are commons in paper that don't exist in MODO which I'm sure you realize, and there is no WOTC ruling on them one way or another. It is up to each and every individual event organizer what to do. You can probably find a list of what sets exist online, I think its everything from Tempest forward? but the real issue is the special online only sets that may pick and choose cards that don't fit that list. Duals and power exist online, despite ABUR having never been released online. There is no simple answer to the questions you are asking.

jassi007 fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jan 3, 2016

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Maybe if you played some decent removal like Piracy Charm Delver wouldn't be such a problem

edit: Actually I prefer the insanely grindy mono blue control deck so I wouldn't mind if Delver was gone

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Bloom Titan is going to knock Mize out of Top 8, isn't it.

:sigh:

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Chainers edict is common online because of vintage masters as well. Basically replaces hymns in u/b control decks. I wish wizards would go through the relatively minor effort of making it a sanctioned format for local shops to run paper tournaments.

Speaking of grindy pauper decks, I won our local pauper league in December by going 11-0 with u/b control. Only wincons were 2 mulldrifters and 2 gurmag anglers. I beat a tron player by getting to the point where I could capsize + buyback twice a turn and keep counterspell up until he decked himself.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Killing somebody with a Sea Gate Oracle is the greatest. Ur ded buddy. Just you loving wait.

I actually miss burning people out with Rolling Thunder. I know Cloudpost enabled some really bad stuff but it also enabled a lot of fun goofy stuff like that Aurochs Herd deck or terrible grixis control.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

UG Madness is also (mostly) legal and I'm kind of interested to see how strong it is.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

This was only for one version of it, others are still ~3$

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I actually don't think it would be all that strong but you could play two of my favorite cards, Waterfront Bouncer and Piracy Charm, so I say you should saddle up those Arrogant Wurms

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

rabidsquid posted:

I actually don't think it would be all that strong but you could play two of my favorite cards, Waterfront Bouncer and Piracy Charm, so I say you should saddle up those Arrogant Wurms

Wild mongrel best mongrel

I completely forgot VM made arrogant wurm a common. Is careful study common online?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Wild mongrel best mongrel

I completely forgot VM made arrogant wurm a common. Is careful study common online?

Careful study was already an odyssey common?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Oh hey Bloom Titan being boring nonsense on camera yet again

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Angry Grimace posted:

Oh hey Bloom Titan being boring nonsense on camera yet again

The fun and cool deck ruined for Top 8 yet again by that boring nonsense.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Count Bleck posted:

The fun and cool deck ruined for Top 8 yet again by that boring nonsense.

For a while I thought Summer Bloom was going to get banned. But I actually think Amulet of Vigor is going to eat the ban to just kill the deck.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Chainers edict is common online because of vintage masters as well. Basically replaces hymns in u/b control decks. I wish wizards would go through the relatively minor effort of making it a sanctioned format for local shops to run paper tournaments.

Speaking of grindy pauper decks, I won our local pauper league in December by going 11-0 with u/b control. Only wincons were 2 mulldrifters and 2 gurmag anglers. I beat a tron player by getting to the point where I could capsize + buyback twice a turn and keep counterspell up until he decked himself.

Sanctioning a format with a name with negative connotations like that would be kind of a problem for a company to do. It's pretty simple to change that, but I imagine that's just one of the reasons they might be reluctant to sanction it, the other one being encouraging tournaments with the premise and promise of being cheap kind of fucks with your business model of selling expensive cards!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Angry Grimace posted:

For a while I thought Summer Bloom was going to get banned. But I actually think Amulet of Vigor is going to eat the ban to just kill the deck.

It would bring down Asusa, Single But Looking, and then I could pick one up for EDH.

That is the only solice I get from that kind of ban.

It's over when they finally realize how busted Collected Company can actually be.

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jan 3, 2016

• Locked thread