Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Talkc posted:

Worst case scenario: They brought family, the place is on fire, and dozens dead minimum.

The best case scenario, is some sorta combination of them giving up instead of starving, then being arrested for their stupid poo poo. With the media standing by to shame these fuckwits for their stupidity and treason.
If you think the media is going to shame them I've got some bad news for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

UV_Catastrophe posted:

Can somebody please explain why nobody in the Bundy clan was arrested in the time between the last standoff and this one?

they're white

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

If you think the media is going to shame them I've got some bad news for you.

The best case scenario is also the fantasy land "least likely" scenario. They are white, and have been given nothing but slaps on the wrist for other incursions. They will walk away from this as heroes for whatever cause it is they support.

Abner Cadaver II
Apr 21, 2009

TONIGHT!
Am I going to get killed if I go and try to birdwatch there right now?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Abner Cadaver II posted:

Only if you're looking for blackbirds.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

baw posted:

how pathetic does your life have to be where you are willing to drop everything and go hang out with a bunch of dorks in a cabin in the middle of nowhere for no reason

Well I mean if they were cool guys doing something actually good, it might be a fun time.

Unfortunately they are none of that.

Jacobin
Feb 1, 2013

by exmarx

baw posted:

how pathetic does your life have to be where you are willing to drop everything and go hang out with a bunch of dorks in a cabin in the middle of nowhere for no reason

Because you have a raging boner for power and secretly for anarchy so you could potentially rule over ruins and scraps of a lovely patch of soil. Hence why this obsession with Sherrifs being the master at a county level- its a throwback to some clan leadsr who could die and could be replaced by the strongest of the pack as long as the supply of doritos and hot pockets is sustained

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

UV_Catastrophe posted:

Can somebody please explain why nobody in the Bundy clan was arrested in the time between the last standoff and this one?

I thought the entire point of sitting back and letting them get bored of LARPing was so that people would eventually go home and you could, you know, actually arrest the people you were after. Am I misunderstanding something here? Because now the same morons have been allowed to orchestrate another situation where innocent people could potentially be killed.

I thought the Feds were pursuing a smart strategy against Bundy in Nevada, but now it looks pretty irresponsible and ineffective to me.

I would like to think they are still building cases, (the FIFA one took years). i but i am think the Fed doesn't think this assholes are worth the effort. yeah this major step up in their bullshit with the occupation of a federal park/reserve. But I feel like the fed is hesatent to bring the hammer down on these assholes, for various reasons. One. because ruby ridge and Waco are still in living memory and were both super cluster fucks and everyone remembers they "inspired" the Oklahoma city bombing. Two, The right wing is radical as gently caress right now, including many major politicians, so the Feds are afraid if they go in to hard, they will star a "insurrection" or at least a wave of domestic terror attacks. Three, the nutjobs havent taken any hostages or killed anyone yet(as far as we know.) so there is no need to rush.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Jacobin posted:

Because you have a raging boner for power and secretly for anarchy so you could potentially rule over ruins and scraps of a lovely patch of soil. Hence why this obsession with Sherrifs being the master at a county level- its a throwback to some clan leadsr who could die and could be replaced by the strongest of the pack as long as the supply of doritos and hot pockets is sustained

this. they all want to be Imortan joe and George Washington at the same time.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Luigi Thirty posted:

they're white

Yep. Nothing is going to happen (again) because the feds apparently cannot charge white gun fetishists with crimes.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

http://www.rawstory.com/2016/01/cnn-analyst-white-militiamen-arent-a-threat-like-black-protesters-because-theyre-not-looting-anything/

CNN's law enforcement expert says that these guys aren't a threat because unlike black people and Muslims they don't loot things

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***

Luigi Thirty posted:

http://www.rawstory.com/2016/01/cnn-analyst-white-militiamen-arent-a-threat-like-black-protesters-because-theyre-not-looting-anything/

CNN's law enforcement expert says that these guys aren't a threat because unlike black people and Muslims they don't loot things

Apparently taking over a federal building doesn't count as looting it. I hope someone has tabs on whatever is in the "building". If they take something better go after them!

UV_Catastrophe
Dec 29, 2008

Of all the words of mice and men, the saddest are,

"It might have been."
Pillbug

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I would like to think they are still building cases, (the FIFA one took years). i but i am think the Fed doesn't think this assholes are worth the effort. yeah this major step up in their bullshit with the occupation of a federal park/reserve. But I feel like the fed is hesatent to bring the hammer down on these assholes, for various reasons. One. because ruby ridge and Waco are still in living memory and were both super cluster fucks and everyone remembers they "inspired" the Oklahoma city bombing. Two, The right wing is radical as gently caress right now, including many major politicians, so the Feds are afraid if they go in to hard, they will star a "insurrection" or at least a wave of domestic terror attacks. Three, the nutjobs havent taken any hostages or killed anyone yet(as far as we know.) so there is no need to rush.

I really hope that they're actually just building airtight cases and not just sitting on their hands. If there are no apparent consequences after this particular incident, I would imagine that it would only embolden and encourage them to continue with this type of bullshit.

It would be lovely to make it so plainly obvious that being white and having your own personal nutjob militia is the ONE WEIRD TRICK to ignoring certain laws and regulations you feel aren't justified due to your insane political beliefs.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Luigi Thirty posted:

This is the marshal who shot at the kid and dog at Ruby Ridge.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

UV_Catastrophe posted:

I really hope that they're actually just building airtight cases and not just sitting on their hands. If there are no apparent consequences after this particular incident, I would imagine that it would only embolden and encourage them to continue with this type of bullshit.

It would be lovely to make it so plainly obvious that being white and having your own personal nutjob militia is the ONE WEIRD TRICK to ignoring certain laws and regulations you feel aren't justified due to your insane political beliefs.

This is training for when Trump loses and all the hillybilly rednecks will take over election counting stations and keep them until he is pronounced president.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Countblanc posted:

This is like, literally terrorism, right? Like by all legal definitions? It certainly seems like it.

No, you see, they're white, therefore they're lone wolves and their motives are just totally inscrutable and unknowable, and- *seizes and convulses wildly*

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
And they don't have any Facebook selfies pretending to be a gangsta in the mirror.

Alpenglow
Mar 12, 2007

As a dirty liberal hippie, I've driven my Subaru to Malheur a few times for birds and it's definitely more than a cabin in the woods, but not much of a WACOesque compound. I'll bet :10bux: that one of these fools is obsessed with the idea of using the dilapidated fire watchtower on the hill as a sniper nest though. If anyone dies in this without a shot fired, it'll be from that tower collapsing of its own free patriotic will.

Google Maps of HQ

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Talkc posted:

Worst case scenario: They brought family, the place is on fire, and dozens dead minimum.

The best case scenario, is some sorta combination of them giving up instead of starving, then being arrested for their stupid poo poo. With the media standing by to shame these fuckwits for their stupidity and treason.

They aren't going to get arrested or fined or inconvenienced in any way whatsoever. Nothing will be done.

UV_Catastrophe posted:

I thought the Feds were pursuing a smart strategy against Bundy in Nevada, but now it looks pretty irresponsible and ineffective to me.

There is no strategy, no one wants to look like they are picking on the Republicans so the Bundy Family and every other group know that they have carte blanche to do whatever they want. This will only escalate as they start to realize that they won't be touched for anything they do, period.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Talkc posted:

Apparently taking over a federal building doesn't count as looting it. I hope someone has tabs on whatever is in the "building". If they take something better go after them!

CNN/ABC/etc. are still calling them protesters.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

baw posted:

"To my kids, I'm sorry that daddy won't be home for christmas" :qq: *watches cinemax at howard johnson*

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Jacobin posted:

Yes but the underlying root cause is a variety of Mental Illness

Abner Cadaver II
Apr 21, 2009

TONIGHT!
I like that the Sheriff is the greatest local authority except when they don't want you to seize federal property in which case *shrugs wildly*

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Abner Cadaver II posted:

As long as you mean bird as in flying.
And not as in the English slang for women.
As I hear they won't take nicely to strangers eying up their sisterdaughters.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Did that press conference kick off yet or did they realize no one gives a gently caress what they have to say in the middle of Sunday football?

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
Only seen live tweeting about it https://www.breakingnews.com can't find a stream though.

RedQueen
Apr 21, 2007

It takes all the running you can do just to stay in the same place.

Alpenglow posted:

As a dirty liberal hippie, I've driven my Subaru to Malheur a few times for birds and it's definitely more than a cabin in the woods, but not much of a WACOesque compound. I'll bet :10bux: that one of these fools is obsessed with the idea of using the dilapidated fire watchtower on the hill as a sniper nest though. If anyone dies in this without a shot fired, it'll be from that tower collapsing of its own free patriotic will.

Google Maps of HQ

You called it

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Sucrose posted:

Obviously I don't support Cliven Bundy and his gang of gun-toting assholes, who are going to get someone killed, but the ranchers in question still ought to be sentenced to the jail time that the judge originally saw fit to give them, not given a 5-year mandatory minimum for breaking a terrorism statute.

Yeah, is there precedent for this? A second jail sentence does seem unreasonable.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I'm the international news organizations (wisely?) keeping these guys off the frontpage so they give up.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Alpenglow posted:

Google Maps of HQ

using my decades if playing RTS video games and being a sadbrain armchair general. it doesn't even look that defensible. yeah its flat and remote and the property, and the main building with tree coverage looks like it could help, but not much. about the only advantage they have is they can see anything coming sorta from a while off. the tower looks like crap and its so out in the open that it yields no tactical advantage.

Xandu posted:

This is the marshal who shot at the kid and dog at Ruby Ridge.

lol seriously?

UV_Catastrophe posted:

I think they just want to wait them out and only do stuff if they have too or lives are in danger.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

happyhippy posted:

As long as you mean bird as in flying.
And not as in the English slang for women.
As I hear they won't take nicely to strangers eying up their sisterdaughters.

They won't do anything about it but post angry video updates though.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Bubbacub posted:

Yeah, is there precedent for this? A second jail sentence does seem unreasonable.

Probably the best part about it is even if you don't agree with the judge sending them back to jail, even the dudes in jail don't want anything to do with Bundy and crew.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

SedanChair posted:

They won't do anything about it but post angry video updates though.

The shittiest, most ineffectual ISIS

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Livestream here, they're eyeing the watchtower.

http://livestream.com/accounts/13464984/events/4610169

Dapper_Swindler posted:

lol seriously?

I guess technically he only shot the dog, but yeah...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruby_Ridge#The_incident_at_the_.22Y.22_in_the_trails

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

RedQueen
Apr 21, 2007

It takes all the running you can do just to stay in the same place.
Also some insight into what assholes the Hammond guys going to jail are, giving death threats for decades:

Captain Moroni, folks:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

RedQueen posted:

Also some insight into what assholes the Hammond guys going to jail are, giving death threats for decades:

Captain Moroni, folks:

Oh my god, rich evans is there.

Xandu posted:

Livestream here, they're eyeing the watchtower.

http://livestream.com/accounts/13464984/events/4610169

this is gold.

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret

RedQueen posted:

Captain Moroni, folks:

Which is a reference to the book of Mormon

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

This is what happens when you don't shut down the situation quickly

http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-northwest-news/index.ssf/2016/01/oregon_militants_in_high_spiri.html posted:

Peltier elaborated on her encounters in a phone interview Sunday with The Oregonian/OregonLive, saying some in the group are armed and others are not. She said protesters are moving freely in and out of the facility and are bringing children onto the grounds Sunday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Xandu posted:

This is what happens when you don't shut down the situation quickly

I am starting to think they are trying to do a militia version of the occupy movement. they are gonna camp there for a few weeks and then leave or get chases out.

• Locked thread