Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
UPDATE: chitoryu12 was awesome enough to write up a history of the entire occupation. So now you don't have to ask "what did I miss" every page, just read this!

============================================================================

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/three-of-cliven-bundys-sons-militia-seize-federal-building/article/2579459

quote:

Three of Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy's sons and what they claim are 150 militia members have occupied a federal building in eastern Oregon in order to keep two local ranchers out of prison, according to local reports.

The group is believed to be heavily-armed.

According to The Oregonian, the group seized the headquarters building at Malheur National Wildlife Refuge about 50 miles outside Burns, Ore. The remote facility was closed and unoccupied at the time.

Bundy and his supporters were in Oregon after two men were scheduled to go to prison on Monday for setting fires on federal land, according to a report by Oregon Public Broadcasting. The case has caused a stir in eastern Oregon because the two men were charged under anti-terrorism laws.

The two men, Dwight and Steve Hammond, appealed their cases multiple times, the report stated. They were required to report to prison on Monday.

The militia groups say the Hammond's were illegally prosecuted for setting what they claim was a controlled fire because the federal government has no authority at the county level.

"The facility has been the tool to do all the tyranny that has been placed upon the Hammonds," Ammon Bundy told the Oregonian.

Cliven Bundy, a rancher who engaged in an armed standoff with federal officials due a dispute he had with the Bureau of Land Management, was not present.

Earlier Saturday the Bundy brothers and an estimated 300 protesters marched in through Burns, Oregon, about 50 miles from the building they seized

Ammon Bundy on Saturday posted a video on his Facebook page asking "patriots" from across the country should to report to the refuge with weapons.

An investigative reporter for The Oregonian tweeted that Ammon Bundy wants to use the federal refuge as a militia base for years to come and called for anti-government supporters from around the country to come to the area.

It's unknown if the men are armed, but Cliven Bundy told John Sepulvado with Oregon Public Broadcasting that the militiamen have enough food supplies to last "a while."

In an interview with The Oregonian, Ammon Bundy refused to rule out violence if law enforcement officials try to intervene.

"We're planning on staying here for years, absolutely," he told The Oregonian. "This is not a decision we've made at the last minute."

Ammon Bundy said he met with local ranchers in the area that refused to take part in the seizure of the federal building, but decided to go ahead with the effort anyway.

He said he's calling out to other militiamen around the country to join the cause.

"We hope they will grab onto this and realize that it's been happening," he said.

Cliven Bundy gained international notoriety in 2014 because he refused to pay more than $1 million he owed the federal government for grazing cattle on federal property. Anti-government militias flocked to the Nevada ranch and engaged Bureau of Land Management and other federal agencies in an armed standoff for weeks.

I'm shocked that after they "won" an armed standoff against the government last year, these yahoos decided to press their luck and expand operations. They're not going to leave peacefully, they're certainly not going to surrender to authorities; this has potential to get really ugly. The longer this one goes on, the more emboldened the militia types will get. I'm really hoping they find a way to resolve this before it spreads to more sites.

skaboomizzy fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Feb 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?
This is the press release Bundy sent out yesterday talking about this situation:

quote:

FOR IMMEDIATE PRESS RELEASE:
CLIVEN D. BUNDY
PO Box 7175
Bunkerville, NV 89007
702-346-5564

January 1, 2016 - Bunkerville, NV USA

With great concern and love and much consideration from prayer, I come to you Harney County Sheriff of Oregon David M. Ward, rancher Steven Dwight Hammond, and rancher Dwight Lincoln Hammond, Jr.,

I, Cliven D. Bundy, have been involved for several weeks in the background striving to understand and comprehend your dilemmas in Harney County, Oregon. I understand that the grass that was burnt on each side of the fence was grazing rights that had been created through beneficial use, one side of the fence being private property and the other side of the fence being private property rights. The fires that were set were for a good purpose and had good results.

The United States Justice Department has NO jurisdiction or authority within the State of Oregon, County of Harney over this type of ranch management. These lands are not under U.S. treaties or commerce, they are not article 4 territories, and Congress does not have unlimited power. These lands have been admitted into statehood and are part of the great State of Oregon and the citizens of Harney County enjoy the fullness of the protections of the U.S. Constitution. The U.S. Constitution limits United States government.

It is my suggestion, Steven Hammond, that you go and check yourself into Harney County jail asking for protective custody. It is my suggestion, Dwight Hammond, that you go and check yourself into Harney County jail asking for protective custody. It is my suggestion, Harney County Sheriff David Ward, accept these two ranchers into your jail, notify the United States Solicitor in Washington DC that you have these two ranchers in Harney County jail, that they will remain there indefinitely under your protective custody and the protection of We the People of Harney County and We the People of the United States of America.

I suggest an Evidentiary Hearing or a Grand Jury be formed by We the People.

I feel that this action is immediately important, that it should be taken place before 10:00 am Saturday, January 2, 2016. I will hold these suggestions private until that time then I will release this letter to those having state and county jurisdiction and to the media.

Cliven D. Bundy

"The fires that were set were for a good purpose and had good results." - TeaParty.txt

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
About time for these assholes to get squashed.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

What is it about making GBS threads up Federal land that makes these morons think it's a great hill to die on?

I really don't get the angle they're pushing where I'm supposed to feel any kind of sympathy for them yet there's apparently a certain demographic of people out there who do.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Sometimes I wish the Obama that existed in political cartoons really existed.

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe
If only Occupy had known that all they had to do was threaten armed insurrection against lawful authority.

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
As you can see from this Constitution I'm angrily brandishing, Article I, Section 8, clause 17 prevents the federal government from owning any land except military bases and DC. Therefore, "Federal" land is actually illegal.

Pox
Feb 16, 2015
I hope they all get killed

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
Since Ammon Bundy claims to want to use the area as a training base for armed uprising against the federal government and is actively calling for more militiamen, I hope they wait a couple weeks for all the militia types to get in there and burn the place down.

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l
So what was the purpose of these fires these three ranchers set? Were they actually terroristic (is that even a word.) or is that an over reach?

Not that I agree with the militia. I think it's a "whoever wins we lose" kind of situation.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
This is like, literally terrorism, right? Like by all legal definitions? It certainly seems like it.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Anyone who can look at the Bundy situation and try to claim there's no racial double standard in American policing with a straight face is human garbage. White people are given the benefit of the doubt well beyond where they've proven the doubts while black people are lucky if they ever get that benefit at all.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

god bless these brave patriots

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

skaboomizzy posted:

Since Ammon Bundy claims to want to use the area as a training base for armed uprising against the federal government and is actively calling for more militiamen, I hope they wait a couple weeks for all the militia types to get in there and burn the place down.

There was a time when open and armed insurrection against the government would be crushed and the leaders hung. Now they'll be treated with kit gloves and get book and TV deals out of it because of the power of the nutjob media.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

god bless these brave patriots

God bless this mess

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

twistedmentat posted:

There was a time when open and armed insurrection against the government would be crushed and the leaders hung. Now they'll be treated with kit gloves and get book and TV deals out of it because of the power of the nutjob media.

I wouldn't assume so. The US has a history of shooting crazy armed white men who barricade themselves in.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

SlipUp posted:

So what was the purpose of these fires these three ranchers set? Were they actually terroristic (is that even a word.) or is that an over reach?

Not that I agree with the militia. I think it's a "whoever wins we lose" kind of situation.

An article linked in the USPol thread expands on the arson/terrorism angle:

quote:

The first fire came in 2001: a simple prescribed burn, intended to take out invasive juniper, by Steve and Dwight Hammond's account.

But federal prosecutors said the men's real motive for starting the blaze, which consumed 139 acres and forestalled grazing for two seasons, was to cover up evidence of an illegal slaughter of deer. The government presented evidence that Steven Hammond called an emergency dispatcher to ask if it was OK to burn -- roughly two hours after they already lit the fire. His attorney said in court that Hammond called the land bureau beforehand.

The government acknowledged that the next fire, in 2006, was intended as a defensive move. Steve Hammond set backfires to keep a lightning-caused fire from burning onto the Hammonds' ranch and hitting their winter feed.

But the government said Steve Hammond lit up on the flanks of a butte, despite a countywide burn ban and the knowledge that young part-time firefighters were camped up higher. Their crew boss spotted the fires, which were set at night, and moved the crew.

Lyapunov Unstable
Nov 20, 2011
Did the feds bother to give an excuse for loving up last time I forget

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Countblanc posted:

This is like, literally terrorism, right? Like by all legal definitions? It certainly seems like it.

I liken it to Treason, actually.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

twistedmentat posted:

uh, the us has a long history of letting off insurrectionists from the very beginning. No one was hung for the Whiskey Rebellion, 2 people for Shay's Rebellion, the Confederate leaders got off with a slap on the wrist...

e: white insurrection. slave rebellions had much more brutal consequences

Sheng-Ji Yang fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Jan 3, 2016

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

SlipUp posted:

They wanted to clear weeds/juniper on the land to allow for cattle grazing. It was loving stupid and they had the book thrown at them to drive home a message.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
i wonder if the militiamen will open fire on the feds this time

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The school district there has closed school for the week. I'm so sick of this stupid poo poo. gently caress the government if they don't do anything this time.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jan 3, 2016

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006

Xandu posted:

I wouldn't assume so. The US has a history of shooting crazy armed white men who barricade themselves in.

The Founders were crazy armed white men who barricaded themselves in Independence Hall, and it made this country great.

SlipUp posted:

BLM land is full of "noxious weeds", and those limpdick environmentalists won't let the EPA treat it with perfectly safe pesticides, so they decided to kill the weeds themselves

http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-northwest-news/index.ssf/2012/06/tsunami_of_noxious_weeds_choki.html

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

No Pants posted:

An article linked in the USPol thread expands on the arson/terrorism angle:

I genuinely want bad things to happen to them now. Millions of deer in NA, not at risk, but mass slaughtering of them is disgusting, and pieces of poo poo like Ted Nugent pretend to be big on conservation, but he'll go to bat for these yokels.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/peaceful-protest-oregon-wildlife-refuge-action-36061121

ABC says this is a "peaceful protest" presumably because they're white

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Well poo poo, that's loving precious.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
Meanwhile the "tool of the opressor" is being used to pioneer a project that will hopefully help both the government and the local economy:

http://www.oregonlive.com/environment/index.ssf/2015/12/post_46.html

quote:

The carp have created an ecosystem so out of balance it no longer supports the plant and insect life birds rely upon for food and habitat. Populations of migrating ducks, geese and shorebirds that once passed through the refuge in numbers as great as half-a-million each day have dwindled to a tenth that size.

Now, refuge bosses hope to wrest control with fishing nets.

They've partnered with the Oregon Wildlife Heritage Foundation and the owner of Pacific Foods, a Tualatin company best known for boxed soup and soymilk, to stage a massive commercial fishing operation on the refuge.

The five-year contract began this year, but drought kept lake waters too low to start fishing. But by spring 2016, the team hopes to begin removing thousands of fish from the water each day.

If all goes well, as many as 4 million pounds of carp could come out of the lake next year. The meat, which most Americans won't eat, will be used to fertilize Chuck Eggert's crops.

Eggert, who owns Pacific Foods, has formed a side company, Silver Sage Fisheries, to acquire and process the castaway carp. Once taken from the lake, the carcasses will be trucked to Burns for processing before being spread across alfalfa fields that feed Eggert's dairy cows.

"It's been enjoyable to get a broader partnership going to address what has become a longstanding issue, while putting the waste to use," said Tim Greseth, the executive director of Oregon Wildlife Heritage Foundation, who worked with Eggert to develop the fertilizer concept.

let's hope these guys get bored and clear out before they interfere with anything.

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

twistedmentat posted:

The government treats rightwing miltias with kid gloves because the escalating violence between the two in the 90s was on the verge of turning into a full-on armed insurrection. Once the Oklahoma Federal Buildings went up the government decided there was a core group willing to go all the way and that discretion was the better part of valor.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

FIRST TIME posted:

What is it about making GBS threads up Federal land that makes these morons think it's a great hill to die on?

I really don't get the angle they're pushing where I'm supposed to feel any kind of sympathy for them yet there's apparently a certain demographic of people out there who do.

To be fair, charging people with a terrorism offense with a mandatory 5-year sentence for creating illegal firebreaks sounds ridiculous. I've heard of a person being charged with "terrorism" for verbally threatening the staff at a hospital, while under an involuntary psychiatric hold. It's true that these new "terrorism" laws are absolutely out of control, especially when they involve mandatory minimums. A law where someone is automatically sentenced to 5 years in prison for arson, without any judicial discretion available, is an absolutely terrible law. We should be doing away with mandatory minimums, not passing more laws carrying them. Especially not in the name of "preventing terrorism."

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Nonsense posted:

Well poo poo, that's loving precious.

what was that guy laughing about originally

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Sucrose posted:

To be fair, charging people with a terrorism offense with a mandatory 5-year sentence for creating illegal firebreaks sounds ridiculous. I've heard of a person being charged with "terrorism" for verbally threatening the staff at a hospital, while under an involuntary psychiatric hold. It's true that these new "terrorism" laws are absolutely out of control, especially when they involve mandatory minimums. A law where someone is automatically sentenced to 5 years in prison for arson, without any judicial discretion available, is an absolutely terrible law. We should be doing away with mandatory minimums, not passing more laws carrying them. Especially not in the name of "preventing terrorism."

It's too bad that two ranchers have to pay with years of their lives so the right can learn the lesson that "terrorism" is a stupid thing to arbitrarily punish someone for when we already have real names for crimes in our centuries old legal system.

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006

zeal posted:

what was that guy laughing about originally

You will never believe how funny his dinner just was

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
oh man I had no idea idi amin could look so jolly

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

If this is their way of getting The Learning Channel to notice them, all they needed was an agent....

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Pox posted:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Pox posted:

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbGdMKpHDDE

A ray of hope emerges

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums
See they were smart and didn't mention anything about a Living wage or worker rights or else they would have already been waco'd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Looking forward to seeing images of these guys aiming guns at police officers next to links and stories rationalizing the Tamir Rice killing.

• Locked thread