Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Could anyone point me in the right direction for making an edit? I used to use a Skyrim mod which changed the text of the Loading screens into some silly wackiness. It wasn't amazing but I enjoyed it nevertheless. If I wanted to do the same to my Fallout4, does anyone know what I would have to do to edit them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.

VideoGames posted:

Could anyone point me in the right direction for making an edit? I used to use a Skyrim mod which changed the text of the Loading screens into some silly wackiness. It wasn't amazing but I enjoyed it nevertheless. If I wanted to do the same to my Fallout4, does anyone know what I would have to do to edit them?
Use FO4Edit to create your own plugin.

Though I haven't edited them myself, I imagine the loading screen data is in an easy-to-find section.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

Inverness posted:

One question, do raiders who can't damage you flee immediately or do they have to take a few shots first before they realize they can't damage you? I imagine the former because that's how Bethesda rolls.
The former.

Uh, also it turns out that whilst DT doesn't result in you healing when you take -10 damage, it does repair your power armour. I didn't notice this in testing because I did it by shooting Piper in the face. Now I have to figure out how to fix this.
:bethesda:

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Talkie Toaster posted:

The former.

Uh, also it turns out that whilst DT doesn't result in you healing when you take -10 damage, it does repair your power armour. I didn't notice this in testing because I did it by shooting Piper in the face. Now I have to figure out how to fix this.
Does the same apply to Vertibirds? Maybe that will keep them from exploding all of the time. :pseudo:

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Talkie Toaster posted:

The former.

Hey man, the spare lead is patching up holes and the weak laser fire is welding the suit back together. Perfectly lore-friendly. :colbert:

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

Inverness posted:

Does the same apply to Vertibirds? Maybe that will keep them from exploding all of the time. :pseudo:
Hah, no. Unless you put a vertibird in power armour.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Inverness posted:

Use FO4Edit to create your own plugin.

Though I haven't edited them myself, I imagine the loading screen data is in an easy-to-find section.

Many thanks! This was a heck of a lot easier than I expected it would be. Now to write them!

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

VideoGames posted:

Many thanks! This was a heck of a lot easier than I expected it would be. Now to write them!
I'm not sure how clear the documentation is since I rarely used it, but the basic thing you want to do here is:

1. Unzip the files and rename the executable to FO4Edit.exe
2. In your case, load only Fallout4.esm
3. Find the loading screen entries you want to edit, right-click and select "copy as override into...", then choose to create a new plugin.
4. Copy anything else you want to edit into your new plugin too before editing it.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Inverness posted:

I'm not sure how clear the documentation is since I rarely used it, but the basic thing you want to do here is:

1. Unzip the files and rename the executable to FO4Edit.exe
2. In your case, load only Fallout4.esm
3. Find the loading screen entries you want to edit, right-click and select "copy as override into...", then choose to create a new plugin.
4. Copy anything else you want to edit into your new plugin too before editing it.

Thank you for this, I muddled through a little and began doing it. I've rewritten about 10 loading screens so far. There are a lot but it is fun!

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Gestalt Intellect posted:

I cannot fathom how it possibly bothers anyone which side of their fake videogame guns the shells come out of.

As if there weren't enough reasons to loving hate gunspergs.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Talkie Toaster posted:

You can write entirely new ones. Most things I've tried have worked and the things that haven't I'm not sure whether are the fault of the compiler or of my implementation in FO4Edit.

Also, I've made a bunch of things not with scripts that I was holding out on releasing until the flood of tits abated but that's just not going to happen. So here's:
Damage Threshold: A resource that adds New Vegas-style Damage threshold. DT removes a flat amount of damage from each hit, before resistance is applied. It's subject to armour piercing just like DR.
Tougher Vertibirds: Gives all vertibirds 30 points of Damage Threshold. Renders them immune to most low-level raiders, so they don't pop like Brotherhood Pinatas. Neatly, Bethesda coded it such that if someone can't hurt something they'll just flee from it instead of firing fruitlessly, so raiders with pipe pistols will flee in terror when a Vertibird flies over whilst those with rocket launchers take potshots.
Impervious Power Armour: Gives power armour sets 10-30 points of Damage Threshold. As above, raiders will flee as you strut around in your X-01. It's pretty sweet.

Oh god, Damage Threshold I have missed you so much. Once somebody gets a Project Nevada style overhaul put into this game I will never put it down.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

Its a good mod, especially combined with mods that make all but a few mobs legendary, sadly, it does not work so well with every mod, every weapon.
I also found that the 2LM workbench gets messed up depending on where it is in the load order, so I am not messing with it atm, instead I am remaking all the halfway decent guns I get with ridiculously long barrels, or making switchblades with that wonky looking tooth-blade thing.

VideoGames posted:

Thank you for this, I muddled through a little and began doing it. I've rewritten about 10 loading screens so far. There are a lot but it is fun!

Who will be uncle sheogorath this time around?

staberind fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Jan 4, 2016

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
Anyone working on a Deathclaw companion?

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe

Monolith. posted:

Anyone working on a Deathclaw companion?

Its been out for a little while : http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/696/

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

how the gently caress did they avoid actually putting this "fear" feature in that's some weapons-grade incompetence

Fallout fans are pissy they can't murder children can you imagine the world engulfing bitchfest that would result from having to chase down fleeing enemies to sate their murder-lust?

"Just don't case them."
"I don't play Fallout to not murder Raiders"

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

SirDan3k posted:

Fallout fans are pissy they can't murder children can you imagine the world engulfing bitchfest that would result from having to chase down fleeing enemies to sate their murder-lust?

"Just don't case them."

please, murdering people who have surrendered and are fleeing is a cornerstone of murderlust

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

SirDan3k posted:

"Just don't case them."

Hey now, Little Lamplight is reason enough to want a kill children mod (in every game ever, really). And I definitely don't want Raiders running away all the time, they're much more fun than all other drat enemies that seem to rely on suddenly appearing or tunneling up to you like a carnivorous Bugs Bunny (seriously, the Bad News Bears and the various bugs are about the only non-sentient enemies in this game that don't pull that crap, and the bugs make up for it by triggering my latent bug phobia, especially the drat sound work on them hiding nearby and buzzing)

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

SirDan3k posted:

"Just don't case them."

wait, why the hell do you play fallout then?

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
yeah if you're not mercilessly slaughtering whole tribes of raiders than i'm not sure what the else you'd be doing in Fallout 4.

edit: wait, were you the one guy who turned down the violence setting in the old fallout games

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm hoping that somebody makes the Raiders into distinct gangs when the CK comes out. The only unique raiders I've encountered were the Forged, but I'd like to see some variations, even if it is just changing their names, like how in New Vegas you could fight Jackals and Viper gangers.

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:

Arcsquad12 posted:

I'm hoping that somebody makes the Raiders into distinct gangs when the CK comes out. The only unique raiders I've encountered were the Forged, but I'd like to see some variations, even if it is just changing their names, like how in New Vegas you could fight Jackals and Viper gangers.
I've been really disappointed that there isn't a Baseball Furies-esque gang in this game what with all the baseball stuff going on.

kujeger
Feb 19, 2004

OH YES HA HA

Inverness posted:

I installed this Legendary Modification mod.
[...]
The first thing I did was replace my wounding institute rifle with an explosive laser rifle. It seems the explosion effect mechanism is the same as what is used for laser beams, because my rifle no longer has one. It just causes the explosion at the target. I don't think I mind.

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

you turned the sci-fi laser into the laser from syndicate that just caused an explosion where you aimed it

merry christmas

Well. This also happens with the Gatling Laser. :black101:

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

Ddraig posted:

I guess the reason that stuff like this is never really explored as the complex thing it can be is that people don't want to think of the implications and just opt for the easiest explanation.

Bethesda, for once, actually tried to make the entire thing seem more complex by cribbing some of the ideas from old-school Sci-Fi in terms of what exactly can be constituted as human and it's all wasted because "They look, sound and act human, they must be human"

It's not that it didn't work because people don't want to think about it, it's that it didn't work because Bethesda sucks balls at writing and couldn't explore the ideas in a nuanced or interesting way that translates to gameplay.

If I'm of the opinion that a robot with the constructed cognitive abilities of a toaster probably shouldn't be considered the equivalent of a human slave, but that any robot with the level of sentience required to desire agency should be allowed to have it -- which, in FO4 terms, would mean that any Synth who wants to escape the Institute should be freed, but that doesn't mean freeing gen 1 gun-toting zombies into the Commonwealth -- there is no option for me as a player. They crib an age-old concept from sci-fi and then do a lovely job exploring it in a game, so it's hard to really care about what happens after a while.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/7610/

Good grief.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Who wants some animated drawbridges?

Man, the ramp/elevator guy is really on a roll.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.

ThaumPenguin posted:

That guy is hilarious with his Teddy Bear mod being pimped in his all other mods. He writes his descriptions like he is high as a kite too. I have to admit though his little building mods are really useful, like the stacking concrete blocks that snap in place. Much easier than doing that manually.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe

ThaumPenguin posted:

Thats pretty amazing, thats going on N0-Penis island asap.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Capn Beeb posted:

I can't wait for EVE to be ported to Fallout 4.

So long as we get trailers like this one I can get behind that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXNWgeQmiOE

:black101:

Once a proper GECK or whatever they're going to call it is out i'm working on expanding the post game into having real sandbox factional game play.

I posted about it way back in the main thread but from how it looks on the surface the semi-hidden checkpoint system that has factions capturing and defending different locations could be expanded into a "capture the map/war game" sort of thing. Hell, it almost looks like they took the butchered concept behind the original concept of the Skyrim Civil War and applied it to the checkpoint and outpost system in Fallout 4. Then they said the gently caress with it and just left it as another dropped feature with some minor easter eggs present in the game.

Couple that with extra features per faction (Like being able to actually have a selection of research and policy options for the Institute to focus on, being able to fund and deploy minutemen squads since they only show in specific areas that are coded to have random encounters, etc, etc.) and you could have an infinitely replayable war game in the vein of how Clear Sky was when it was properly modded out to not be a pile of rear end.

Of course, i've got no idea if anyone would actually play this if I did it. So who the gently caress knows how it'll go.

Edit: Actually, the more I look at that mod that fixes and tries to patch up the civil war (Civil War Overhaul) the more it looks like they really did try to put something similar but scaled down into Fallout 4. And apparently failed terribly before scaling it even further back to the near non-existent feature it is now. What the gently caress Bethesda? :argh:

Archonex fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jan 5, 2016

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

And my game is complete. I didn't realize how much I needed this.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Capn Beeb posted:

I can't wait for EYE to be ported to Fallout 4.
same

i want to hack a synth's brain wirelessly so he just says garbage RALPHIE excerpts

or i get counter-hacked and then am forced to spew only garbage RALPHIE excerpts in dialogue

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe
We need more TGP in our FO4

staberind fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jan 5, 2016

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Is it Homemaker or Settlement Supplies Extended that adds the bar as a merchant shop?

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
Convenient Stores

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

Archonex posted:

Of course, i've got no idea if anyone would actually play this if I did it. So who the gently caress knows how it'll go.

Hell yes.

fake edit: only if you let me play as a raider overlord as well.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

MaliciousOnion posted:

fake edit: only if you let me play as a raider overlord as well.

God I would pay some bux to be the leader of a raider tribe rather than boring dumbshit settlers.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

I had to reinstall Windows because I got Black Screen of Deathed and couldn't fix it after several hours of trying. I had backed up my user folder from the previous install and copied my Fallout 4 stuff over into the relevant (appdata\local\fallout 4 for dlclist/plugins.txt, documents\my games\fallout4) but despite having done that, my savegames are no longer there.

That, and for some reason now no matter what I do, whether I use Nexus Mod Manager or add the files in myself, I can't get any mods to work. I've even tried the simplest of texture replacements and made sure the bInvalidateOlderFiles=1 in fallout4custom.ini is there.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe

Hexenritter posted:

I had to reinstall Windows because I got Black Screen of Deathed and couldn't fix it after several hours of trying. I had backed up my user folder from the previous install and copied my Fallout 4 stuff over into the relevant (appdata\local\fallout 4 for dlclist/plugins.txt, documents\my games\fallout4) but despite having done that, my savegames are no longer there.

That, and for some reason now no matter what I do, whether I use Nexus Mod Manager or add the files in myself, I can't get any mods to work. I've even tried the simplest of texture replacements and made sure the bInvalidateOlderFiles=1 in fallout4custom.ini is there.

Before jazzing around with x64 memory intensive programs like fallout 4, did you work out why your computer shat the bed?
If you are satisfied your machine is stable, look in yourdocs\mygames\fallout4 for your saves, maybe move fallout to a different folder from steam after you have rechecked the local files, make a new game to make sure it works, sort out any ini edits you like, then try starting up NMM, do you still have nmm's hot folder? it needs that to symlink stuff in your data folder.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

staberind posted:

Before jazzing around with x64 memory intensive programs like fallout 4, did you work out why your computer shat the bed?

I checked all my hardware using various diagnostics, had to run the various bootrec commands, did the usual chkdsk and sfc /scannow stuff, which all reported back that Windows was fine and booting normally. I ran virus scans from a linux environment using ultimatebootcd and ultimately just could not get past that stupid endless black screen and mouse cursor so I wiped that entire Windows 7 install and installed a fresh copy of 10.

I have no idea why it shat the bed even now. What bothers me is that it was less than a month ago I had to reinstall Windows to get round that loving ransomware poo poo that somehow despite my using poo poo like MBAM and Spybot managed to corrupt a shitload of files.

Suffice it to say after my complacency, this is the first time I've used a firewall in a long time and I am now as properly paranoid as a good pc user should be.

quote:

If you are satisfied your machine is stable, look in yourdocs\mygames\fallout4 for your saves, maybe move fallout to a different folder from steam after you have rechecked the local files, make a new game to make sure it works, sort out any ini edits you like, then try starting up NMM, do you still have nmm's hot folder? it needs that to symlink stuff in your data folder.

I copied all my saves into the proper folder, even made sure to double check the access permissions of the folder to ensure that they weren't messed up. They just don't show up in the game, nor do my new saves show up in the folder so I am totally :psyduck: at the moment. I've never had this many problems getting mods working in a Bethesda game and i used to mod Daggerfall back in the 90s.

I did a reinstall of NMM to make sure it put all of its files where it needs them to be but I'm not entirely sure what you mean by its hot folder (I know what symlinks are though).

I'd do a full reinstall of Fallout 4 to see if that helped but as I oft lament, my rural DSL connection is ~100KB down/~34KB up and it took me over a week to download the first time around.

Hexenritter fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Jan 5, 2016

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Hexenritter posted:

fallout 4 has cloud saves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 22 days!

The Iron Rose posted:

fallout 4 has cloud saves

Don't be me though and don't remember to turn cloud saving on. :downs:

• Locked thread