Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

themaninblack
Aug 14, 2007
So a baby seal walks into a club...

themaninblack fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Apr 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Handsome Ralph posted:

So long as 4 continues to work, I'll keep using it. And if it never gets a viable replacement and stops working, I'll just create an excel worksheet to keep budgeting.
It'll never stop working on the desktop. Only the mobile apps may break. And if the desktop changes so much it'll break the AIR runtime, toss it in a VM.

themaninblack posted:

Since no one responded to my last post, is Quicken well regarded? Would it be the best alternative?
Quicken works mostly just for tracking. While they have a budget module, it's a piece of work. That and Intuit is looking for a buyer to ditch Quicken. That says something about its future.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Handsome Ralph posted:

As far a nynab chat, count me as someone else who has no desire to use the new program. I've been using ynab4 for a year now and I specifically remember the biggest selling points were A) No synching with accounts like mint, which has its own issues, and B) manually entering transactions helps you become aware of your spending and curb it back where necessary and be on better control of your spending. Not seeing either of those features really doesn't make nynab appeal to me, nor does the lack of the three month overview.

So long as 4 continues to work, I'll keep using it. And if it never gets a viable replacement and stops working, I'll just create an excel worksheet to keep budgeting.

Thats not how the auto import of transactions works at all

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Ludwig van Halen posted:

Thats not how the auto import of transactions works at all

OK, enlighten me then?

tyler is a joke
Apr 28, 2013

Handsome Ralph posted:

OK, enlighten me then?

I will devil's-advocate here as someone who was initially hesitant to "upgrade" due to auto-import. Like most of you, I hated the auto-import. It has only led to my ruin in the past. Inputting manually made me get a handle on it.

Here's the thing though: you don't have to link your accounts on nYNAB. You can create any account you want without linking it. Proceed as normal. If you DO link accounts, you import your transactions, then you have to approve each one during reconciliation. It's not like it's auto-updating. You still have to look at each transaction and classify its budget category.

As for my issues with nYNAB, I can't find a way to move accounts off budget. I don't particularly like having Savings on-budget like most folks. I don't see the point. Sure, the balance shows up in my available each month or whatever, but it's also in the accounts view. It makes no sense having to do anything other than making a budgeted transfer from my checking account to an off-budget savings account.

Same thing with credit. I don't like having my credit cards on-budget. It makes slightly more sense than savings because it makes me keep track of things that are added to my card and categorize them as my budget, not just cheat money.

I also didn't link any of my accounts due to security + why bother if the system was working for me previously.

I also just bought YNAB4 but they gave me a year+ subscription credit. At the end of that, I'll either go back to YNAB 4 or pay the subscription if it's working.

Huckert
Aug 1, 2007

For the love of the game
I'd rather pay the subscription to keep YNAB4, to be honest. Certainly not jumping on their cloud based bandwagon in it's current state, I'll check again when my YNAB4 stuff starts breaking, I guess.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Handsome Ralph posted:

OK, enlighten me then?

With regards to bank statements, AFAICT, the difference between nYNAB and YNAB4 is...

YNAB4
1. Enter transactions as they occur.
2. (optional) Occasionally go to bank website and download statement to catch missed transactions.
3. (optional) Import said statement into YNAB.
4. Reconcile to bank balance.

nYNAB
2. (optional) Press "import from bank" to automatically get bank statement to catch missed transactions.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Reports are aimed for release at Q2/16.

Pinball
Sep 15, 2006

So if what I currently have is considered YNAB 'Classic', am I going to have to switch over at some point to the subscription model, or can I keep YNAB 'Classic' in perpetuity?

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Until it breaks due to some OS upgrade screwing it up. Could be months, could be years.

Pinball
Sep 15, 2006

Tayter Swift posted:

Until it breaks due to some OS upgrade screwing it up. Could be months, could be years.

Ugh, that sucks. I really love YNAB's interface and philosophy, I just think it sucks to have to pay more when I already spent 60 bucks on it. Thanks for the information, though!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Does anyone have the most recent YNAB book before this update? My friend is trying to get up and running on 4 and I think it'd be a good place to start. The Learn section is all with the new software now.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Tayter Swift posted:

They've committed to supporting it through the end of 2016 so "months" is not an accurate statement.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

TraderStav posted:

Does anyone have the most recent YNAB book before this update? My friend is trying to get up and running on 4 and I think it'd be a good place to start. The Learn section is all with the new software now.

http://classic.youneedabudget.com

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
So my laptop was stolen with YNAB4 on it. Is there a way to sync from my phone to a comp over wifi? I'm afraid that if I do sync it, the desktop app will override my phone with blank data

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

So my laptop was stolen with YNAB4 on it. Is there a way to sync from my phone to a comp over wifi? I'm afraid that if I do sync it, the desktop app will override my phone with blank data

You'll need to install YNAB4 on your new desktop device and import the budget file from the Dropbox folder. Your devices all sync from Dropbox.

Now I'm kinda worried about the thief accessing YNAB and loving with your poo poo. I guess you can just change your Dropbox password though.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

Beach Bum posted:

You'll need to install YNAB4 on your new desktop device and import the budget file from the Dropbox folder. Your devices all sync from Dropbox.

Now I'm kinda worried about the thief accessing YNAB and loving with your poo poo. I guess you can just change your Dropbox password though.

Yeah, I changed all my passwords immediately after that. Dropbox shouldn't accept any edits they make I hope. Thanks for that, I'll download my budget from Dbox.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Thermopyle posted:

With regards to bank statements, AFAICT, the difference between nYNAB and YNAB4 is...

YNAB4
2. (optional) Occasionally go to bank website and download statement to catch missed transactions.
3. (optional) Import said statement into YNAB.

nYNAB
2. (optional) Press "import from bank" to automatically get bank statement to catch missed transactions.

Ah ok, that makes more sense. Still not something I'm looking for though, so I'll continue to stick with YNAB4.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Thanks!

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Was wondering where the YNAB4 download went.
I had just bought it and had only installed it on my Mac, but not my PC.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Ludwig van Halen posted:

Was wondering where the YNAB4 download went.
I had just bought it and had only installed it on my Mac, but not my PC.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/cf.download/ynab4/YNAB+4_4.3.820_Setup.exe

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Yeah, I changed all my passwords immediately after that. Dropbox shouldn't accept any edits they make I hope. Thanks for that, I'll download my budget from Dbox.
Shouldn't you be safe with BitLocker and/or TrueCrypt?

IllegallySober posted:

They've committed to supporting it through the end of 2016 so "months" is not an accurate statement.
So late 2016, setup a Finance Tools VM and use that. Sounds good to me.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

SiGmA_X posted:

Shouldn't you be safe with BitLocker and/or TrueCrypt?
So late 2016, setup a Finance Tools VM and use that. Sounds good to me.

Me being an idiot, didn't bother with truecrypt as it was a very new laptop

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Me being an idiot, didn't bother with truecrypt as it was a very new laptop
So it has BitLocker and no big deal? If it doesn't have w TPM, you should immediately wipe and install TC upon purchase. You don't want you data being easily stolen. And it's very very easy to reset non-encrypted HDD's Windows passwords...

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
lol someone's so mad about the new ynab version they're starting a project to make an open source alternative.

I love when this happens, I'm going to follow it and watch as it very likely peters out and goes nowhere.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

lol someone's so mad about the new ynab version they're starting a project to make an open source alternative.

I love when this happens, I'm going to follow it and watch as it very likely peters out and goes nowhere.

So a spreadsheet?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Link/What's it called? For the rare case it may turn out something competent that I can selfhost.

--edit: Wait, I think I spotted the relevant thread in the personalfinance subreddit.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jan 8, 2016

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Wasn't there a similar service that came out within the last year? I can't remember the name of it but everyone poo-poo'd it because it was an online subscription in an era of one-time-payment YNAB. My, how the times have changed :allears:

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
It really wouldn't be that hard to recreate a basic YNAB4. Unfortunately I'm no Web programmer.

thepostaldude
Jan 18, 2009

I regret nothing.

Combat Pretzel posted:

Link/What's it called? For the rare case it may turn out something competent that I can selfhost.

--edit: Wait, I think I spotted the relevant thread in the personalfinance subreddit.

Can you give me a link? I can't find it.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Here.

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/3ytj3r/alternatives_to_ynab/cygktz8

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

By way of comparison, GNUCash has been around for over a decade (and it's still not very good)

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I'm getting back into YNAB (classic) after not using it for about 6 months...I had a period of time where my finances were way out of whack (moved from an apartment to renting a room in a friend's house to save massive amount of money for a home down payment...bought said home, furnished and fixed it up a bit, etc...) so I decided rather than try to constantly tweak a budget every drat day I'd let things go till the new year, then look back at the last few months to get a good look at what my new budget should be.

But now I'm unsure of how to do my mortgage and payment in YNAB. I guess inputting it as an off-budget account is easy enough, but the payments are tricky. I'm doing an escrow account for my taxes and home owner's insurance. So should I create a second off-budget account for that, and then when I make the mortgage payment, make it a split transaction with the right amount going towards mortgage and the rest towards the escrow? And then when the bank pays those and shores up my account, just make whatever adjustments I need?

Edit: V V V I had thought about that, but I like the idea of a separate account so that way, if the bank didn't estimate right and I have over/under payed, it's easy to just mark it as a transfer to the "fake" escrow account.

Double edit: Aww crap, I realized it's even more complicated than that...I can't just do a transfer of the amount minus the escrow, because a good chunk of the payment is the interest...so I think the easiest thing is don't bother trying to figure out transfers, just make it a single transaction, make the payee something like "Mortgage" or "Bank" for the full amount, and then just once a month manually reconcile the mortgage balance.

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jan 8, 2016

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
That's probably how I'm going to do it once I close on this house later this month.

Alternatively you could just make the escrow payments an outflow and not bother tracking them in a separate account.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

DrBouvenstein posted:

Double edit: Aww crap, I realized it's even more complicated than that...I can't just do a transfer of the amount minus the escrow, because a good chunk of the payment is the interest...so I think the easiest thing is don't bother trying to figure out transfers, just make it a single transaction, make the payee something like "Mortgage" or "Bank" for the full amount, and then just once a month manually reconcile the mortgage balance.

I assume this is so you can have an accurate-ish "Net Worth" number?

I don't particularly care about net worth, so all of my stuff is an outflow, mortgage included.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Yea, the only reason to keep you mortgage balance as an account is if you want the net worth figure to factor it in. I have my mortgage balance as an off budget acct, but simply alter the starting balance every month to reflect it's current value. This seemed way easier to me than trying to accurately setup a transfer that factored in interest and escrow every month. With this setup my mortgage payment from the budget side of things is simply an outflow.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Just got my first paycheck of the year :toot:

But next months money doesn't exist. I just have $x to budget.

But if I do next months budget, I'll be one paycheck in the red.

How the hell are you supposed to do rule 4 now??

E: if you do a quick budget while you have an outstanding balance on a credit card, it'll copy that over to the next month and just gently caress everything up.

"If you pay 207.74, your account balance will be +103.87"

Uhhhh thanks nYNAB?

Sockser fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jan 9, 2016

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

You put your next paycheck you get this month into next month if all your bills are paid for this month. Once you actually receive it of course. Slowly but surely you'll hit step 4. More like a step 3.5 as you wait to fill an entire month ahead

George H.W. Cunt fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jan 9, 2016

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Sockser posted:

Just got my first paycheck of the year :toot:

But next months money doesn't exist. I just have $x to budget.

But if I do next months budget, I'll be one paycheck in the red.

How the hell are you supposed to do rule 4 now??

You put some excess every cheque into a buffer category. One you have enough, you unbudget all that buffer and use it to budget your bills. Then your paycheques get input as income for next month.

Keep putting some excess into an emergency fund, and a slush fund.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tyler is a joke
Apr 28, 2013

TheCenturion posted:

You put some excess every cheque into a buffer category. One you have enough, you unbudget all that buffer and use it to budget your bills. Then your paycheques get input as income for next month.

Keep putting some excess into an emergency fund, and a slush fund.

Instead of buffer categorying, at least with my regular expenses I've been working on building them up to have an available balance in those categories at the end of the month. That way, when the category is "fully funded" at the end of the month, I'll know I'm budgeting a month ahead and can start using some of the "profit" to save.

First I'm just trying to get to a point where I can fund my large monthly payments (rent, car, etc) over the course of the month instead of blowing a whole paycheck. Seems safer somehow.