Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Just got an email saying grandfathered unlimited data plans are getting bumped an extra $5/month starting this February.

quote:

Upcoming changes to your unlimited data plan

Dear HNB,

We'd like to thank you for your business and share an upcoming change. Beginning February 2016, we'll be increasing the price of your unlimited data plan by $5 per month — our first increase in 7 years.

We never stop making improvements to our wireless networks and strive daily to bring our customers the best value in wireless. We have made significant improvements to our network experience — our 4G LTE network covers over 308 million people,1 and now we offer the nation's strongest LTE signal and the nation's most reliable 4G LTE network.2

You can remain on your unlimited data plan or consider one of our Mobile Share Value®3 plans that could offer great savings with unlimited talk & text, shareable data and Rollover DataSM.

If you choose to cancel your unlimited data plan and you're under a two-year service contract, we'll waive your early termination fee.4 Just cancel your unlimited data plan line(s) within 60 days after the price increase first appears on your bill. Cancellations made after that time will be subject to the usual early termination fee.

For more details on this change to your unlimited data plan, visit att.com/unltdata.

Thank you for choosing AT&T.

Still sticking with it, fuckers. And now I'm going to use it even more :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Could someone give me a hand that knows AT&T's plans on how to get my poo poo cheaper?

I have 2 phone numbers, mine and my wife's.

I am on the unlimited data plan that is grandfathered in. And a next plan with an iPhone 6.

She has an iPhone 5S. She'd like to upgrade to a 6S in February. Our bill is $191 per month.

I'd hate to give up the unlimited data but I'm generally using about 2-3 gigs of data per month as most places I go have wifi now. So if it needs to go it can.

I'm getting charged $30/month for unlimited texting? This seems a bit high with iMessage I feel like we send very few texts each month.

I have the mobile insurance on my line because it's saved my rear end a few times over the years. We don't talk on the phone hardly at all and have thousands of unused rollover minutes.

I've attached a pic of my bill breakdown if anyone could give me some advice before I go talk to AT&T it'd be very much appreciated.

Thank you.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Just got an email saying grandfathered unlimited data plans are getting bumped an extra $5/month starting this February.

Got the same email...I think this might cause me to jump ship to another carrier. I just upgraded to a 6s with them so if I don't get charged the ETF than it seems like a pretty good deal possibly to jump out now. An extra $60 a year for unlimited data that I don't even use just doesn't seem right. However, in doing this, I think I'll lose the ability to upgrade my phone every two years for $200 or whatever the 6s cost me this time (no more subsidized phones).

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

nwin posted:

Got the same email...I think this might cause me to jump ship to another carrier. I just upgraded to a 6s with them so if I don't get charged the ETF than it seems like a pretty good deal possibly to jump out now. An extra $60 a year for unlimited data that I don't even use just doesn't seem right. However, in doing this, I think I'll lose the ability to upgrade my phone every two years for $200 or whatever the 6s cost me this time (no more subsidized phones).

I went to AT&T and looked at data plans. Based on my average usage, they recommended the $180 20GB/mo plan.

gently caress. That. poo poo.

Going for $82/mo to $87/mo for unlimited data is still worth it when my last 3-month average is 21Gb/mo.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Disappointing Pie posted:

Could someone give me a hand that knows AT&T's plans on how to get my poo poo cheaper?

I have 2 phone numbers, mine and my wife's.

I am on the unlimited data plan that is grandfathered in. And a next plan with an iPhone 6.

She has an iPhone 5S. She'd like to upgrade to a 6S in February. Our bill is $191 per month.

I'd hate to give up the unlimited data but I'm generally using about 2-3 gigs of data per month as most places I go have wifi now. So if it needs to go it can.

I'm getting charged $30/month for unlimited texting? This seems a bit high with iMessage I feel like we send very few texts each month.

I have the mobile insurance on my line because it's saved my rear end a few times over the years. We don't talk on the phone hardly at all and have thousands of unused rollover minutes.

I've attached a pic of my bill breakdown if anyone could give me some advice before I go talk to AT&T it'd be very much appreciated.

Thank you.

Interesting one. Honestly, in the past this plan would save a lot with limited texting, but ATT won't let you add a per text plan or anything like that.

The into reason it's really high is because you have a contract based plan, and you are basically buying a phone outright on Next for no reason which raises the rate. So right now, going to the share plans will be way cheaper because you get a discount there for being on next.

A base plan is $100 for 15GB of data, $15 * 2 lines, so $130 plus your next phone at $31 monthly. Personally, if you don't use a ton of data I would think it over and Switch to this plan, it'll be the simplest solution to your question.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.

Duckman2008 posted:

Interesting one. Honestly, in the past this plan would save a lot with limited texting, but ATT won't let you add a per text plan or anything like that.

The into reason it's really high is because you have a contract based plan, and you are basically buying a phone outright on Next for no reason which raises the rate. So right now, going to the share plans will be way cheaper because you get a discount there for being on next.

A base plan is $100 for 15GB of data, $15 * 2 lines, so $130 plus your next phone at $31 monthly. Personally, if you don't use a ton of data I would think it over and Switch to this plan, it'll be the simplest solution to your question.

Thanks for the input, the main reason I posted is because I thought I was missing something and wasn't getting my plan much cheaper, what you came up with is about the closest I could get also. I really need to avoid the next but buying a phone outright is a big chunk of money to throw down at once. :(

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

I went some place mum and everyday I woke up in that place and told myself I'm alive and I was.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I just received the same thing. I also blow threw about 20+ gigs a month. I now plan to never hook into WiFi again just to see how much data I can burn threw.

Here's the thing I just signed a contract with them a few months ago. If they can just raise their rates what's the point of having a contract?

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

frgildan posted:

I just received the same thing. I also blow threw about 20+ gigs a month. I now plan to never hook into WiFi again just to see how much data I can burn threw.

Here's the thing I just signed a contract with them a few months ago. If they can just raise their rates what's the point of having a contract?

I got that email. I also signed a new contract over the summer. My data usage varies wildly. According to my phone, the last 4 months had 2 under 4 GB, one around 18 and one around 22. I think I was keeping it under 5 for the most part when they were throttling over 5 but that doesn't apply for the past 4, or I just didn't care, whatever.

Is rollover data a thing? I didn't see it in the OP. I also didn't see the amounts for data overages. I've still got a single device unlimited plan and I still don't think it's worth it to switch. I honestly don't know how much data I might want to use in the future.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Rollover data is only valid for one month, so your previous month's underrage will cover the current month's overage.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Mr. Powers posted:

Rollover data is only valid for one month, so your previous month's underrage will cover the current month's overage.

Yuck. I don't think that would benefit me with my wildly variable usage. It's either pay for overages or start paying attention to my data usage. I could probably use wifi more but would it be worth the inconvenience?

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
GIven how lovely our service was with unlimited data I'm actually surprised you're able to use 20+ GB on it

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
So I've been on my family's T-Mobile plan for the past forever, paying only $20/mo for two phones. However, situation has arisen that I may need to get my own plan.

I'm a Kroger employee, and with that comes a corporate discount with literally every 'big four' wireless carrier EXCEPT T-Mobile. gently caress knows why! But getting a two-line plan would actually be cheaper for me than T-Mobile because of this.

I guess I want to know: according to this page, it would be $30+$25+25=$80/mo ($60ish/mo after discount), right, if I'm bringing my own devices? And the 3GB is shared between both? I'm hard-pressed a lot of months to even go over 1GB/mo a lot of the time. What happens when we do go over? Is it like T-Mobile, where you're just throttled down to 2G until next month, or do they then proceed to charge the gently caress out of you for going over?

edit: WHOOPS looks like I didn't read the OP, though it did say it was pretty outdated. Is it still only $10 per extra GB? That's not really all that bad, especially considering that between my wife and I I don't think we'd hardly ever go over 1.5GB each. Do I have the pricing right, though?

Daily Forecast fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Dec 26, 2015

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Disappointing Pie posted:

Thanks for the input, the main reason I posted is because I thought I was missing something and wasn't getting my plan much cheaper, what you came up with is about the closest I could get also. I really need to avoid the next but buying a phone outright is a big chunk of money to throw down at once. :(

I thought the unlimited plans were standard two year contracts so they include a phone subsidy. Paying for that and Next (an un subsidized phone) wouldn't make much sense.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Daily Forecast posted:

So I've been on my family's T-Mobile plan for the past forever, paying only $20/mo for two phones. However, situation has arisen that I may need to get my own plan.

I'm a Kroger employee, and with that comes a corporate discount with literally every 'big four' wireless carrier EXCEPT T-Mobile. gently caress knows why!

T-Mobile doesn't offer corporate discounts like that anymore.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Daily Forecast posted:

I'm a Kroger employee, and with that comes a corporate discount with literally every 'big four' wireless carrier EXCEPT T-Mobile. gently caress knows why! But getting a two-line plan would actually be cheaper for me than T-Mobile because of this.

I guess I want to know: according to this page, it would be $30+$25+25=$80/mo ($60ish/mo after discount), right, if I'm bringing my own devices? And the 3GB is shared between both? I'm hard-pressed a lot of months to even go over 1GB/mo a lot of the time. What happens when we do go over? Is it like T-Mobile, where you're just throttled down to 2G until next month, or do they then proceed to charge the gently caress out of you for going over?

edit: WHOOPS looks like I didn't read the OP, though it did say it was pretty outdated. Is it still only $10 per extra GB? That's not really all that bad, especially considering that between my wife and I I don't think we'd hardly ever go over 1.5GB each. Do I have the pricing right, though?

Your discount doesn't go off the base plan for the $30 or under plan. So you would want to do at least the 5GB for $50, which you would get your discount on.

$15 per 1GB overage.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

So if I have a micro SIM card and want to exchange it for a nano, I just walk into a corporate store? Can I be in and out in fifteen minutes?

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Duckman2008 posted:

Your discount doesn't go off the base plan for the $30 or under plan.

Man, that's kinda poo poo. Why?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

So if I have a micro SIM card and want to exchange it for a nano, I just walk into a corporate store? Can I be in and out in fifteen minutes?

Yes, depends how busy the store is

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Daily Forecast posted:

Man, that's kinda poo poo. Why?

ATT is a for profit company.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
2 year contracts (and their subsidies) are going away on January 8th.

http://www.engadget.com/2015/12/30/att-ditch-contracts-jan-8/

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

kefkafloyd posted:

Slightly surprised it wasn't sooner. Looks like they just wanted to wait until after the holidays.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

kefkafloyd posted:

I have a launch day iPhone 6 w/unlimited data for $30, 200 txts for $5, and 450 min talk for $40.

Does this mean I switch carriers when I get an iPhone 7?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Josh Lyman posted:

I have a launch day iPhone 6 w/unlimited data for $30, 200 txts for $5, and 450 min talk for $40.

Next is a way better deal than 2 year contract with AT&T for quite awhile now. Unless you have poo poo credit, then maybe you can do Next with a large deposit. Maybe, I dunno how it works out but Next has been a better deal than a 2 year contract for at least a year now unless you are poo poo at managing money.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Three Olives posted:

Next is a way better deal than 2 year contract with AT&T for quite awhile now. Unless you have poo poo credit, then maybe you can do Next with a large deposit. Maybe, I dunno how it works out but Next has been a better deal than a 2 year contract for at least a year now unless you are poo poo at managing money.
I realize the numbers may have changed since then, but I ran the numbers in this very thread back at the iPhone 6 launch:

Josh Lyman posted:

I have a 450 minute voice, unlimited data, and 200 text plan that runs me $66/mo after discounts, taxes and fees. My total cost after 2 years for iPhone + service would be 199 + 36 activation + 24*66 = $1819. Assuming I can sell then 2-year-old phone for $250, that's $1569 every 2 years.

If I understand correctly, there's no reason for me to switch to Next unless I want to upgrade to a new iPhone every year, right?

1) If I kept Next with my current plan, I'd be paying $32.50/mo for 20 months for the phone. If I wanted to upgrade after 12 months, I'd have to pay off the remaining 8*32.50 = 260, so my total cost would be (32.50 + 66)*12 + 260 + 36 = $1478. Assuming I can sell my then 1-year-old phone for $350, that's $2256 over 2 years. In other words, it'll cost me $437 for the privilege of getting the 6S, but I have to deal with selling my phone two times.

2) The 2GB Mobile Share, with my discount, would be about $57/mo after taxes and fees; the 4GB plan would be about $83. After 12 months, the 2GB plan would cost (32.5 + 57)*12 + 260 = $1334, and assuming $350 resale value, that's $1968 over 2 years. This time, it'll only cost me $149 for the privilege of having the 6S; my data is reduced to 2GB, but in exchange I get tethering.

Does that look right? So I should only consider straying from contract pricing if 1) I really want a 6S and tethering, and 2) I think I can keep my data under 2GB?

edit: Welp, re-upped my 2 year contract.

Based on this (http://www.myattmst.com/wireless_plans/mobile-share.html) it looks like a 5GB would be $75 + $21.67 per month on Next for the 16GB model.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Jan 2, 2016

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Three Olives posted:

Not if he/she wants to keep unlimited data. Otherwise yes.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Josh Lyman posted:

It means you can keep your plan, but you won't be able to get a subsidized phone. So I guess if truly unlimited data is important to you, you'll have to suck up paying for the phone because you're not going to do any better elsewhere.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

If all you care about is unlimited data (hint: you should) then just skip upgrading via carrier and use Apple's iPhone Upgrade Program. It's basically the same deal as Next 12 and it includes AppleCare+. Plus you keep unlimited data.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

If all you care about is unlimited data (hint: you should) then just skip upgrading via carrier and use Apple's iPhone Upgrade Program. It's basically the same deal as Next 12 and it includes AppleCare+. Plus you keep unlimited data.

Using that upgrade program lets me keep unlimited data? Radical, I'm signing up for that poo poo when I upgrade.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
ATT must really hate me business.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

gohmak posted:

ATT honestly does seem to not like their current customers.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Duckman2008 posted:

ATT honestly does seem to not like their current customers.

But they told me they appreciated my business when I left them... they wouldn't lie would they?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

mAlfunkti0n posted:

But they told me they appreciated my business when I left them... they wouldn't lie would they?

Lol they absolutely would. Especially if you didn't buy anything.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

gohmak posted:

retention matters less than new business.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Wouldn't Next 12 also keep the unlimited data? You just would be buying an unsubsidized phone on a subsidized phone plan, which is wasting like $225 a year.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
I just bought a AT&T GoPhone Moto E as a workout phone since there is no word on bringing back the Urbane LTE which would have been perfect for me. There are still no restrictions on sticking a postpaid sim in a GoPhone, right? It was $20 cheaper for the locked version and I really don't give a poo poo about being locked carrier with a phone that I bought specifically for being destroyed falling off my bike or drunkenly getting in the pool with later this summer.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

"It's not the size of the tower. It's the motion of the airwaves."
Lipstick Apathy

adorai posted:

retention matters less than new business.

"Reduce Churn"

Those words still ring clearly in my head from when I was at AT&T.

Three Olives posted:

I just bought a AT&T GoPhone Moto E as a workout phone since there is no word on bringing back the Urbane LTE which would have been perfect for me. There are still no restrictions on sticking a postpaid sim in a GoPhone, right? It was $20 cheaper for the locked version and I really don't give a poo poo about being locked carrier with a phone that I bought specifically for being destroyed falling off my bike or drunkenly getting in the pool with later this summer.

Some would like you to think that you cant. But AT&T has it in their internal documentation that this is definitely permitted.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

We added my sister-in-law to our family plan, and she previously had a Net10 phone. We were trying to port the number but the guy at the AT&T store said it was a pain-in-the-rear end but he would do it if we wanted to wait an hour and possibly fail. Then my sis-in-law mentioned that the Net10 plan wasn't active and he said it wasn't possible at all.

The second part seems totally valid to me, but any experience on the first part?

(This is just academic since we ended up just getting a new number, because she didn't care about the bill credit and we didn't really care to spend any more time on it.)

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

smackfu posted:

We added my sister-in-law to our family plan, and she previously had a Net10 phone. We were trying to port the number but the guy at the AT&T store said it was a pain-in-the-rear end but he would do it if we wanted to wait an hour and possibly fail. Then my sis-in-law mentioned that the Net10 plan wasn't active and he said it wasn't possible at all.

The second part seems totally valid to me, but any experience on the first part?

(This is just academic since we ended up just getting a new number, because she didn't care about the bill credit and we didn't really care to spend any more time on it.)

The person is correct that if a line is not active, it cannot be ported.

The answer to the first half is two parts. It can be annoying and a bit of work to move a number from Net 10, sometimes they deny it for no reason and then you have to call in, etc. the other half is Net 10 is usually not registered as a new line for ATT reps because Net 10 piggybacks off of ATT, so reps will try and get you to get a new number because they get paid more to do that.

If it helps, it sounds like it wouldn't have been able to be moved over anyway.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Alright, need to get some info with AT&T and decide if I'm going to stay or go.

I just upgraded to a 6S back in September/October (whenever it came out), and was able to get the subsidized 64gb phone for $300, while keeping my unlimited data.

I currently have the National 450 with rollover, unlimited text, unlimited data...with a military discount, it gets me to about $88/month ($40 for the 450, 30 for unlimited, 20 for texting).

Over the last year, here's been my max and averages:

Text: Max 350, average 150
Data: Max 8 gb, average 5.2gb
Talk: Max 1400, average 415 (That 1400 was an anomaly, the highest besides that was 885, then 570, and every other month has been under 200...thank god for rollover-I normally really don't use the phone that much at all for calls)

Now, in February, my unlimited goes up $5, so I'll be around $93 for all that.

My questions are:

1) Since the subsidized phone is going away, I can ETF now and not owe AT&T a thing and go to a carrier of my choice and I suppose just use my iPhone, though I'd probably have to unlock it, correct?

2) What are my options for plans? Can I keep the unlimited? Do I honestly even need that unlimited? What would you recommend for a plan? The unlimited texting might even be overkill...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
Unless you cut back on your data, you'll need to go for the 15GB plan, which will be $115/m before taxes and fees for a phone on AT&T Next/BYOD. Buy an unsubsidized phone and keep your unlimited plan. If your discount is 20%, it should put the cost around 92 before taxes and fees.

https://www.att.com/shop/wireless/data-plans.html

kefkafloyd fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jan 5, 2016