Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
My latest Nights Watch iteration is with Stag banner. I like the idea of Renly to help offset the economy issues the faction has, but I'm not sure if his high cost is too prohibitive and would negate his benefit too much.
Other stuff I'm trying in there is Bastard in Hiding, Painted Table (since I'm running Iron Throne as well, but it does make me wonder if I have too many Locs between Wall, Castle Black, Roseroad, Throne, and Table all at 3, plus 2 Kingsroad), and Davos for some recurring survivability.

Thoughts? On to something? Terrible? Still feeling so green that I can't really evaluate decks well enough yet, not to mention that my actual chances to play are infrequent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
I've not had any real economy issues with my NW/stark list. I don't run many expensive cards, Jon Snow being the most costly but tbh I'm considering dropping him as he doesn't really fit my decks play style and he's just not been that useful. I pretty much never make challenges unless I can sneak a power one and just defend and go for dominance every turn.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

sassassin posted:

Enemies don't engage on second phase, but they do on first.

Game feels so much harder since buying packs and putting together some decks. Just got smashed by the tutorial quest on semi-easy (forgot to put extra resources first turn) despite getting lucky on Ungoliant's spawn (it landed on an Ambush, I had a First Strike in my hand, and Elladan had enough resources to go to town).

Got smashed by locations again. Was up to six and then pulled an 'each player removes a hero from quest' treachery and gave up.

I'm guessing your deck is tri-sphere, Elrond and his sons? Would you want to post your deck for critique?

What you want to be careful about is not having enough allies to either quest or chump block. It's fun to really buff up a hero with attachments and stuff but it's risky to rely on them. If you keep getting location locked, northern trackers are a must, Lorien guides help too.

For what it's worth, the brothers are really cool in concept but I've never had much luck making a good deck with them. This most recent cycle has added a lot of Noldor cards that I think will help with that though. At some point I'm gonna try to make something with them and the new Arwen hero.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I've been playing an Elrohir/Elladan/Erestor discard deck alongside a Spirit Glorfindel/Elrond kind-of-secrecy support deck. All Noldor all the time.

The first one is light on allies (Trollshaws Scout, Master of the Forge, Gandalf & one Henamarth Riversong) which is no problem in combat as the brothers tear through everything as fast as it appears, but questing is an issue. And running out of cards is a bigger one. Adding 20 random trash cards would help.

I think the second deck isn't pulling its weight. Elrond is expensive when I don't need his defence and while his ring ability combos well with Imladris Stargazer it's a lot of work to set up. And secrecy doesn't last long.

It's okay though. I bought more stuff. That'll solve my problems.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I beat Redhorn Gate today with the latter deck but I may have cheated. At the end of stage two you're supposed to make Caradhras the active location. Only it was already in my victory display due to Northern Tracker and Asfaloth. So I skipped it.

Cleared all three peaks and won without killing a single enemy (banished a warg that bit Elrond with O Elbereth Gilthoniel).

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

sassassin posted:

I've been playing an Elrohir/Elladan/Erestor discard deck alongside a Spirit Glorfindel/Elrond kind-of-secrecy support deck. All Noldor all the time.

The first one is light on allies (Trollshaws Scout, Master of the Forge, Gandalf & one Henamarth Riversong) which is no problem in combat as the brothers tear through everything as fast as it appears, but questing is an issue. And running out of cards is a bigger one. Adding 20 random trash cards would help.

I think the second deck isn't pulling its weight. Elrond is expensive when I don't need his defence and while his ring ability combos well with Imladris Stargazer it's a lot of work to set up. And secrecy doesn't last long.

It's okay though. I bought more stuff. That'll solve my problems.

Adding Arwen and or Galadriel to the second deck for a three hero deck will probably help a bunch. Spirit and Lore allies tend to be expensive if I remember correctly at least with Elves.

Secrecy is another thing that seems like it could be mad cool but I haven't ever gotten to work well.

And yeah buying more cards is always the solution! :)

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Serotonin posted:

I've not had any real economy issues with my NW/stark list. I don't run many expensive cards, Jon Snow being the most costly but tbh I'm considering dropping him as he doesn't really fit my decks play style and he's just not been that useful. I pretty much never make challenges unless I can sneak a power one and just defend and go for dominance every turn.

Jon Snow isn't that great, and the only reason I 3x him in my Night's Watch deck is so that I can give him Longclaw and make him into a more reliable (and faster) power generating engine late game (compared to The Wall). The issue is that NW has poo poo for money economy (they have a lot of pretty decent draw options) and poo poo for power generation, which doesn't exactly leave much that they are good at besides not getting challenged. Also a weenie swarm (which I think they're supposed to be?) doesn't do well in this game compared to having a number of heavy hitters plus whatever ablative form of military damage mitigation you desire, thanks to the existence of Wildfire and, to a lesser extent, Calling the Banners.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

GrandpaPants posted:

Jon Snow isn't that great,

and poo poo for power generation,
Jon Snow is an amazing defensive character, maybe the best in the game, and him + The Wall is one of the best power generation combos in the game :psyduck:

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jan 3, 2016

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Bottom Liner posted:

Jon Snow is an amazing defensive character, maybe the best in the game, and him + The Wall is one of the best power generation combos in the game :psyduck:

He doesn't work on the defense at all? Except intrigue, I guess.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Oh right, forgot attacking. He's still great, probably their best expensive character. Overall NW feels like they're the least well formed faction so far, but they have interesting tools at their disposal and are really unique in their design, just need a bit more cards to get there.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jan 4, 2016

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

Bottom Liner posted:

Oh right, forgot attacking. He's still great, probably their best expensive character. Overall NW feels like they're the least well formed faction so far, but they have interesting tools at their disposal and are really unique in their design, just need a bit more cards to get their.

Yeah its attack only, and my deck is pure defence.

The Night's Watch / Banner of the Wolf

Packs: Core Set (3)

Plots
1x A Feast for Crows (Core Set)
1x A Noble Cause (Core Set)
1x Calling the Banners (Core Set)
1x Calm Over Westeros (Core Set)
1x Confiscation (Core Set)
1x Filthy Accusations (Core Set)
1x Here to Serve (Taking the Black)

Characters
2x Littlefinger (Core Set)
3x Benjen Stark (Core Set)
2x Jon Snow (Core Set)
3x Maester Aemon (Core Set)
1x Samwell Tarly (Core Set)
2x Ser Waymar Royce (Core Set)
3x Messenger Raven (Core Set)
3x Ranging Party (Core Set)
3x Steward at the Wall (Core Set)
3x Veteran Builder (Core Set)
3x Arya Stark (Core Set)
3x Bran Stark (Core Set)
3x Sansa Stark (Core Set)
3x Tumblestone Knight (Core Set)
1x Will (Taking the Black)

Locations
1x The Iron Throne (Core Set)
3x The Kingsroad (Core Set)
3x The Roseroad (Core Set)
2x Castle Black (Core Set)
3x The Wall (Core Set)

Attachments
2x Little Bird (Core Set)
2x Milk of the Poppy (Core Set)
2x Longclaw (Core Set)

Events
2x The Hand's Judgment (Core Set)
3x A Meager Contribution (Core Set)

Ive had no economy issues with that deck so far. I did have ahard game last match up with a Lannister/Rose deck. It was all going great till Tyrion came out and I didnt have any stealth Intrigue characters to oppose him meaning the Wall kept getting tapped. Ive added Will since then to assist against that.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Erestor's ability says you discard all cards from your hand at the end of every round.

Galdor lets you draw a card when you discard a card from your hand once per round.

Can the former trigger the latter? If so, would you keep the card or would it also be discarded ahead of the next round?

Similar question re: Silver Harp which lets you reclaim one discarded card.

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

Ronald Reagan? The actor!?

sassassin posted:

Erestor's ability says you discard all cards from your hand at the end of every round.

Galdor lets you draw a card when you discard a card from your hand once per round.

Can the former trigger the latter? If so, would you keep the card or would it also be discarded ahead of the next round?

Similar question re: Silver Harp which lets you reclaim one discarded card.

After Erestor's effect triggers, it doesn't trigger again that round. You would discard, you would then draw a card, which you would keep for the next round. Silver Harp would let you keep a card to the next round.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

mongol posted:

After Erestor's effect triggers, it doesn't trigger again that round. You would discard, you would then draw a card, which you would keep for the next round. Silver Harp would let you keep a card to the next round.

Would Silver Harp refresh for the next round if used that way?

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

sassassin posted:

Would Silver Harp refresh for the next round if used that way?

I don't think so.
Erestor says "End of round discard" which would be after the refresh phase.
So it would be more like: Refresh Silver Harp, <stuff>, trigger discard for Erestor, exhaust to trigger silver harp, start next turn.

E: Designer clarification on End of Round:

quote:

The end of the round comes after the end of the refresh phase. Everything that triggers at the end of the refresh phase triggers before the end of the round. The end of the round and the beginning of the round can be thought of like book ends to the game round and each phase therein.
Cheers,
Caleb
So I believe I am correct based off of that.

ChiTownEddie fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jan 4, 2016

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

EVGA Longoria posted:

lol "i know it's someone's flgs but it's not mine so gently caress 'em"

Beautiful.

The actual price changes don't go into effect until April, so it should only affect produce being released in April or later. If it's hitting earlier, it's probably CSI trying to raise the price a bit.

I think the point is that this will still allow CSI to be active in their local meta, while also incenvitvizing me to help my local meta? Which I already make a point to do as much as I can afford to.

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

Ronald Reagan? The actor!?
FYI, if anyone is looking for the Shadows of Mirkwood cycle, it's back in stock at CSI.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

mongol posted:

FYI, if anyone is looking for the Shadows of Mirkwood cycle, it's back in stock at CSI.

Godammit Amazon get your act together :f5:

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Rarity posted:

Godammit Amazon get your act together :f5:
It's not available anywhere in the UK either as far as I can tell. If it's anything like the Netrunner reprints Amazon will have 3 copies which will all go in the first five minutes and you'll be back to needing to pay some third-party seller £60 or else camping Ebay three times a day.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Calm Over Westeros announced for Game of Thrones. Targaryen gets an interesting targeted kill character that seems like it'd be pretty hard to get into play. I can't help but feel that Targaryen and Greyjoy are getting a bit similar, though. They even have a "save a character" card, although it is no Risen From the Sea.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

CoolStuffInc posted:

Hello,

This email is to let you know that the following item(s) are back in stock.

The Lord of the Rings LCG: The Hunt for Gollum Adventure Pack
The Lord of the Rings LCG: Conflict at the Carrock Adventure Pack
The Lord of the Rings LCG: A Journey to Rhosgobel Adventure Pack
The Lord of the Rings LCG: The Hills of Emyn Muil Adventure Pack
The Lord of the Rings LCG: The Dead Marshes Adventure Pack
The Lord of the Rings LCG: Return to Mirkwood Adventure Pack

Welp, RIP $67

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

GrandpaPants posted:

Calm Over Westeros announced for Game of Thrones. Targaryen gets an interesting targeted kill character that seems like it'd be pretty hard to get into play. I can't help but feel that Targaryen and Greyjoy are getting a bit similar, though. They even have a "save a character" card, although it is no Risen From the Sea.

They dont have Longships though. Holy poo poo reusable Krakens Grasps

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Foehammer posted:

Welp, RIP $67

On the one hand, I'm tempted to be a completist. On the other, people seem to agree that a few of the Shadows of Mirkwood packs are among the worst ever.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Zephro posted:

It's not available anywhere in the UK either as far as I can tell. If it's anything like the Netrunner reprints Amazon will have 3 copies which will all go in the first five minutes and you'll be back to needing to pay some third-party seller £60 or else camping Ebay three times a day.

I never had a problem getting any of the other Shadows of Mirkwood packs. Amazon don't seem to receive that many but there's not the same level of demand so they'll tend to stick around for a bit.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

CaptainRightful posted:

On the one hand, I'm tempted to be a completist. On the other, people seem to agree that a few of the Shadows of Mirkwood packs are among the worst ever.

The quests are inferior to quests that come later, but who cares, gotta have all them player cards, you never know when you're gonna want to build a deck that needs something from any one of the APs.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

GrandpaPants posted:

I'm also wondering about getting Mirri Maz Duur into play. Not a lord or lady, not loyal. Obviously it's possible, but I'm thinking there must also be some additional economy cards coming?

Maybe she makes a Lanni to Targ deck with Marching orders as a plot? After marshalling her you save your gold and have several good ambush options out of lanni?

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008

Epi Lepi posted:

The quests are inferior to quests that come later, but who cares, gotta have all them player cards, you never know when you're gonna want to build a deck that needs something from any one of the APs.

Yeah I mean, Tactics Boromir, Dain, Fast Hitch, Gildor, Burning Brand - there's plenty of cards in those packs I use to this day. Plus if you buy them all you get pretty much the whole Eagle archetype and the Songs.

Now that he's been in the pool for a while, anyone got an opinion on Dori? He got slated to hell when spoiled with the most common complaint being "what does he do that other cards don't do better?" but his whole point seemed to be to allow anyone to defend a high strength enemy. Any decks that use him, or quests he's particularly good in?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

tijag posted:

I'm also wondering about getting Mirri Maz Duur into play. Not a lord or lady, not loyal. Obviously it's possible, but I'm thinking there must also be some additional economy cards coming?

Maybe she makes a Lanni to Targ deck with Marching orders as a plot? After marshalling her you save your gold and have several good ambush options out of lanni?

Calling the Banners is the obvious "other" econ option that is less consistent than A Noble Cause, but can sometimes get you more (and sometimes less!). I dislike Marching Orders, especially in Targaryen, since losing the threat of Dracarys is pretty major.

I think the best option if you're going for Mirri is probably Tyrell, since Hobber Redwyne lets you tutor for Dany, Ladies in Waiting help protect her, and Marge lets you push Mirri through (or else force your opponent into keeping a whole hell of a lot back in defense). They also theoretically get some money in the form of To the Rose Banner if you're willing to sacrifice someone for that last push. Randyll and Lorras are always solid power generators as well.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

GrandpaPants posted:

Calling the Banners is the obvious "other" econ option that is less consistent than A Noble Cause, but can sometimes get you more (and sometimes less!). I dislike Marching Orders, especially in Targaryen, since losing the threat of Dracarys is pretty major.

I think the best option if you're going for Mirri is probably Tyrell, since Hobber Redwyne lets you tutor for Dany, Ladies in Waiting help protect her, and Marge lets you push Mirri through (or else force your opponent into keeping a whole hell of a lot back in defense). They also theoretically get some money in the form of To the Rose Banner if you're willing to sacrifice someone for that last push. Randyll and Lorras are always solid power generators as well.

If you're playing Lanni to targ you don't have dracarys, which is targ loyal, right?

The Targ to Rose deck would work as well, and it was my first thought [margery boost for Mirri], but you do get Widows Wail out of Lanni , and it might be just saving 1 gold and bluffing widows wail would get you an advantage where they over commit to a challenge. Seems like she would also fit really well in a heavy intrigue deck, because if you are going to make two intrigue challenges with her on the table, there is a chance that they have to let one through with either a token block, or completely unopposed maybe, just so that they can safely defend the mirri challenge.

Meanwhile Jousting contest would be very strong with her as well.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
I didn't think the next cycle in LOTR could get more hyped.
But it has.
Check out this new location concept :catstare:
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/1/6/temple-of-the-deceived/

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

I would be 100% okay if LOTR turned into a game more like The 7th Continent, but for a game I thought was on its last legs (it still might be), they're doing some fun stuff with it.

tijag posted:

If you're playing Lanni to targ you don't have dracarys, which is targ loyal, right?

Oops, yeah. I just never considered a Targ banner since all of its useful cards currently are loyal. As interesting and interesting as the ability is though, I'm not sure how useful it is to base an entire deck on a character. Even the Dany Voltron is a bit...iffy.

GrandpaPants fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jan 6, 2016

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

GrandpaPants posted:

I would be 100% okay if LOTR turned into a game more like The 7th Continent, but for a game I thought was on its last legs (it still might be), they're doing some fun stuff with it.

Haha that is actually the first thing I thought of when I saw the location grid!
I really hope LOTR keeps going because the cycles from Ringmaker forward are doing very very fun things. The only way I'd be okay with it dying after they complete the saga is if they make a 2nd edition but Star Wars themed haha.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

ChiTownEddie posted:

But it has.

My first thought was that it's going to take up a ridiculous amount of space now.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

I instantly thought of Forbidden Island.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

ChiTownEddie posted:

But it has.

That's a weird direction to drag the IP.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

sassassin posted:

That's a weird direction to drag the IP.

I don't think it is going to be every location setup going forward if that is what you mean. They've been doing more unique things with the encounter deck for a while now.

Thirsty Dog posted:

My first thought was that it's going to take up a ridiculous amount of space now.

Haha true. My playmat is huge (it is a 2p one that I use to play solo) so it probably won't impact me much.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

ChiTownEddie posted:

I don't think it is going to be every location setup going forward if that is what you mean. They've been doing more unique things with the encounter deck for a while now.

I mean thematically. Journeying across the sea to treasure island isn't very Lord of the Rings.

The books have definite views on both sea-travel and treasure.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I've finally completed my set of Shadows of Mirkwood :woop:

Only 5 more adventure paths, 4 more expansions, 5 Saga boxes, 3 Gencon packs and a gazillion Nightmare packs to go :gonk:

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Like what if the next GOT expansion was about everlasting friendship and banned incest or something idk I don't watch it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

sassassin posted:

Like what if the next GOT expansion was about everlasting friendship and banned incest or something idk I don't watch it?

Honestly this should be the new thread title IMO.