Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
For the record, no one but Han understands Chewbacca in the OT, either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Consider that while the Neimoidians seem to be Asian caricatures, the Jedi themselves and Amidala also seem heavily based on Asian motifs. I don't know how much the whole naked Emperor idea would apply to that.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Can we all agree that alien that owned Anakin back in The Phantom Menace was pretty bad?

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
EYYYY IT'S WATTO

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gorelab posted:

Can we all agree that alien that owned Anakin back in The Phantom Menace was pretty bad?

Yeah, he was a real fucker.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Gorelab posted:

Hey he let Anakin go home early, he's not so bad!

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Gorelab posted:

Was he? Was he really? Or was he simply the product of a grossly exploitative system perpetrated by a neglectful centralized government? And, aside from participating in the slave trade, which is an accepted practice on Tatooine at that point, he provides Anakin and Shmi with employment, food, private living accommodations, and leisure time.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Phylodox posted:

Was he? Was he really? Or was he simply the product of a grossly exploitative system perpetrated by a neglectful centralized government? And, aside from participating in the slave trade, which is an accepted practice on Tatooine at that point, he provides Anakin and Shmi with employment, food, private living accommodations, and leisure time.

Also he probably is Anakins dad. Virgin birth my rear end.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Wattowns

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
See? This thread can't agree on anything.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Phylodox posted:

There is a reason Anakin didnt blast Watto into pieces in AOTC. He greets him as an old friend because Watto did look after himself and his mother.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

There is a reason Anakin didnt blast Watto into pieces in AOTC. He greets him as an old friend because Watto did look after himself and his mother.

Or perhaps at that point he realized that chattel slavery on Tattooine wasn't really any worse than being forced into being a celibate, emotionless warrior monk. Who knows? The PT was poo poo.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Watto reproduces with spores. Anakin is totally a sporebaby. He's always wearing heavy robes to hide his gross fleshy wings.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Watto never explains this because not even Watto wants to be Anakin's dad

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Steve2911 posted:

And yes Finn is a flawed, slightly hosed up character. Which is both interesting and entertaining.

Slightly hosed up?

Superman fights a desperate battle to save the Earth, and nerds are like "Superman let those people die! He let them die!" Meanwhile, Finn unambiguously lets billions die, out of what is either cowardice or (being charitable here) idiocy. Likeable characters!

Effectronica totally misinterpreted the early scene with Finn; the implication is that most of the stormtroopers harbor these Resistance sympathies, and just go along with it because 'why not?' Hux's speech comes across as some sort of grade-school assembly, where everyone has to go. It's like 'ah jeez, here we go again.'

These dumbasses are 'just following orders'. Nobody gives a gently caress. Laziness is the name of the game.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Finn isn't Superman. He's just a guy.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
Saw this last night - some questions!!

- Does anyone think that the Cantina scene was a last-minute insert? This part felt weird to me because it didn't seem to match the environs at all. The Mos Eisley cantina was dingy bar in the middle of a town. The exterior of this cantina looks like a Tibetan temple, and it's in the middle of an empty, lush valley, and yet it's just another a dive bar. Which apparently has a basement full of treasure that none of the drunk patrons find interesting? Anyways, it felt to me like originally, Maz Kanata was going to be a Yoda-type who lived alone and had some relics in her basement, but late in the game they decided to cram a Cantina into the mix.

- Around the 3/4 mark, when Leia is talking to someone in the rebel base (I don't remember the specifics), there's one really odd cut where it looked like they lopped off 30 seconds of dialogue. The camera awkwardly cuts from Leia mid-sentence to another angle of Leia, and it really stood out to me. Anyone else notice this?

- On a similar note, what was up with that closing shot? Why have an epic, rotating helicopter shot when you're only going to show 2.5 seconds of the footage?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Polo-Rican posted:

- Around the 3/4 mark, when Leia is talking to someone in the rebel base (I don't remember the specifics), there's one really odd cut where it looked like they lopped off 30 seconds of dialogue. The camera awkwardly cuts from Leia mid-sentence to another angle of Leia, and it really stood out to me. Anyone else notice this?

This might be possible, I remember there was a lot about Leia dealing with her representative to the Republic that got cut off. It might've been something related to that even though it happened after the Starkiller Base fired.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Polo-Rican posted:

- Does anyone think that the Cantina scene was a last-minute insert? This part felt weird to me because it didn't seem to match the environs at all. The Mos Eisley cantina was dingy bar in the middle of a town. The exterior of this cantina looks like a Tibetan temple, and it's in the middle of an empty, lush valley, and yet it's just another a dive bar. Which apparently has a basement full of treasure that none of the drunk patrons find interesting? Anyways, it felt to me like originally, Maz Kanata was going to be a Yoda-type who lived alone and had some relics in her basement, but late in the game they decided to cram a Cantina into the mix.

Its more like an intergalactic roadside truck stop diner to me. All that was missing was a big electric sign showing space-diesel prices.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Episode 7 is a huge homage, reboot/remake (whatever word you want to use) of A New Hope. I sincerely doubt that a new take on one of the most memorable scenes of that movie was added in at the last minute.

The stuff about the base? Stuff was definitely cut. Remember in the first trailer when that hand gives someone Luke's lightsaber? That was Maz giving it to Leia. That scene was cut because they cut that entire idea of Maz going with Han and co. to the Resistance base. I know a few other things were cut but I can't remember off the top of my head.

I liked the ending shot, but different strokes.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Polo-Rican posted:

The exterior of this cantina looks like a Tibetan temple, and it's in the middle of an empty, lush valley, and yet it's just another a dive bar. Which apparently has a basement full of treasure that none of the drunk patrons find interesting? Anyways, it felt to me like originally, Maz Kanata was going to be a Yoda-type who lived alone and had some relics in her basement, but late in the game they decided to cram a Cantina into the mix.

The giant statue outside the "temple" is Maz.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

turtlecrunch posted:

The giant statue outside the "temple" is Maz.

That makes it even weirder - a dive bar that has a statue of the proprietor in front?

Jose Oquendo posted:

I liked the ending shot, but different strokes.

It's not a "bad" shot, it's just cut too short... It felt like a 30 second shot that they decided to cut down to 3 because they were afraid the audience would get bored.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Polo-Rican posted:

That makes it even weirder - a dive bar that has a statue of the proprietor in front?

A proprietor who's hundreds, if not thousands of years old.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Polo-Rican posted:

Han says she's been running the place for a thousand years or something.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I kinda figured Han was exaggerating a bit there, meaning it in a "yeah she's been around forever" sort of way. But this is Star Wars so I guess everything should be taken literally. :v:

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I kinda figured Han was exaggerating a bit there, meaning it in a "yeah she's been around forever" sort of way. But this is Star Wars so I guess everything should be taken literally. :v:

She talks about living through the time of the Sith and Empire. She also goes on about having been around forever and seeing the same eyes in different people. It's pretty clear she's 1,000 years old or whatever.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Jose Oquendo posted:

She talks about living through the time of the Sith and Empire. She also goes on about having been around forever and seeing the same eyes in different people. It's pretty clear she's 1,000 years old or whatever.

The temple indicates she's pretty old, but you can conceivably argue that "Sith and Empire" just means the immediate pre-Empire era rather than a thousand years before TPM.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Yeah, that is what I thought she meant. I mean she's clearly old (Chewie is getting pretty old at this point too), but I figured not Yoda old.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
There are creatures in the Star Wars universe that live that long or longer. I don't think the idiomatic use of "a thousand years" would be so obvious in that context.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

computer parts posted:

The temple indicates she's pretty old, but you can conceivably argue that "Sith and Empire" just means the immediate pre-Empire era rather than a thousand years before TPM.

Not readily having access to the script/movie, I took the ways she phrased it as "Sith, Empire, and now the First Order" as though they were three separate but similar institutions she had seen in her life. That said, it doesn't mean she is fully as old or older than the Republic as there could have been plenty of failed Sith-backed insurrections, but she's definitely older than just the last days of the Republic.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Barudak posted:

Not readily having access to the script/movie, I took the ways she phrased it as "Sith, Empire, and now the First Order" as though they were three separate but similar institutions she had seen in her life. That said, it doesn't mean she is fully as old or older than the Republic as there could have been plenty of failed Sith-backed insurrections, but she's definitely older than just the last days of the Republic.

Yeah, I mean like 500 years, old enough to get that temple built and have it look old. But she might be Yoda aged, who knows.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Yeah, that is what I thought she meant. I mean she's clearly old (Chewie is getting pretty old at this point too), but I figured not Yoda old.

Chewie's getting to be, like, early middle age. He's not old old.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Now I think more than anything I want two ancient-rear end aliens in Star Wars to reminisce about past galactic conflicts. "Oh this First Order business? Not half as bad as when Melkanon raised up that Sith army back in '465" "Nah it was '472. I know it was cause I had my eye surgery that year"

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I hope there's another of Maz' race with long flowing hair named Mazzle like how we got to see Yaddle in the prequels.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Barudak posted:

Now I think more than anything I want two ancient-rear end aliens in Star Wars to reminisce about past galactic conflicts. "Oh this First Order business? Not half as bad as when Melkanon raised up that Sith army back in '465" "Nah it was '472. I know it was cause I had my eye surgery that year"

"Back in my day they used ironsabers, and had to fly fifteen lightyears to use em!"

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Every alien lives longer than humies but humies cause all the problems.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Phylodox posted:

Chewie's getting to be, like, early middle age. He's not old old.

He was a grown adult during the clone wars. So he's at least 60 years old.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I feel like there was a missed opportunity to give Chewbacca some gray hairs.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Actually I think he did have some silver to his hair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Slightly hosed up?

Superman fights a desperate battle to save the Earth, and nerds are like "Superman let those people die! He let them die!" Meanwhile, Finn unambiguously lets billions die, out of what is either cowardice or (being charitable here) idiocy. Likeable characters!

Tell me what bit of tactical realism Finn could have employed to have any effect whatsoever in saving lives in the Hosnian system from the Starkiller.

• Locked thread