Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!

Grundulum posted:

I just tried to surreptitiously promote grrarg to leader of Gem Blossums, only to be told that that rank is already full. Do I need to demote myself first before promoting grrarg, or is there another path to forcing leadership on the unwitting?

Yeah, demote yourself first. Any rank 2 can promote to rank 1. Make sure rank 2 isn't full, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
Ah don't promote me. Give it to the next guy. I'm about to start playing it way less.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

grrarg posted:

Ah don't promote me. Give it to the next guy. I'm about to start playing it way less.

Hah! Too late! I can't demote you any more! (I don't know who still plays in this brave new post-1.0.8 world; you've got a hell of a lot more trophies than I do, though.)

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It hasn't broken me quite yet...

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I think I'm in Gem Boiz - anyone can delete me. Uninstalled today. This game is just the most colossal grind.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

gromdul posted:

What was the team? I love bad troll teams for defense.

Team Rockworm still the best, wanna make a Team Fortress Gate sometime

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
I ran fortress gate until the nerf. Obviously I never won a defense. No idea how many times I was skipped after being scouted.

I am using my goblin horde team now for defense, and I got 3 or 4 defensive victories this week. Each victory gives gems and keys, so it is worth defending.

An all dragon team can be brutal. One of my few invasion losses was to all dragons, each with 14+ attack and 30+ armor/health. Goblin hordes are OP, but sometimes luck just doesn't go my way.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Are people actually getting invaded? My defense team is a single Fortress Gate, and I haven't been attacked since 1.0.8 went live. On the other hand, I've pretty much stopped playing; maybe lots of others did the same so activity is down across the board.

Tony Homo
Oct 30, 2014

by zen death robot

gromdul posted:

I ran fortress gate until the nerf. Obviously I never won a defense. No idea how many times I was skipped after being scouted.

I am using my goblin horde team now for defense, and I got 3 or 4 defensive victories this week. Each victory gives gems and keys, so it is worth defending.

An all dragon team can be brutal. One of my few invasion losses was to all dragons, each with 14+ attack and 30+ armor/health. Goblin hordes are OP, but sometimes luck just doesn't go my way.

What's an all dragon team?

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
Whales and long time players are discovering new incredibly OP team/trait combinations with common and rares ascended to level 20 mythics. I say whales and long time players because it takes about 200 cards to get a common to mythic. Those basic troops become disgusting because they end up with high stats but keep their low mana cost so one or two matches fills them up. Here's a team that kicked my rear end so hard:

Centaur Scout (traits: gain 1 magic for each yellow ally, 30% chance to avoid skull damage, dealing skull damage ignores armor)
Golem (traits: gain 1 armor when enemy casts a spell, reduce damage from skulls by 50%)
Skeleton
Giant Spider (traits: gain bonus purple from purple matches)

The way it goes is the spider feeds purple to the skeleton. Skeleton creates skulls for the centaur to match and bypass armor. The centaur is pretty tanky due to dodging skull matches, then if it dies the golem is even tougher. Meanwhile the skeleton gains attack and the giant spider gains life every time they cast spells. By the time I chewed through the centaur and golem, the skeleton had 53 attack.

Tony Homo posted:

What's an all dragon team?
A pain in the rear end that feeds itself. Usual team to cover all colors is:

Venoxia (green/purple and makes green/blue)
Shadow Dragon (purple/yellow and turns yellow into purple)
Celestasia (blue/yellow and makes 10 of a chosen ally's color)
Sheggra (red/brown and creates red then turns all red into skulls)

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!

Grundulum posted:

Are people actually getting invaded? My defense team is a single Fortress Gate, and I haven't been attacked since 1.0.8 went live. On the other hand, I've pretty much stopped playing; maybe lots of others did the same so activity is down across the board.

I mostly get invaded while I am invading a lot to rank up. Once I am done for the week, the invasions drop off.

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

Grundulum posted:

I've heard that being active in pvp results in you being selected for invasion more often.

Also I was invaded by a level 1000 guy and actually managed to win the revenge (I'm level 150 or so).

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Davethulhu posted:

I've heard that being active in pvp results in you being selected for invasion more often.

Also I was invaded by a level 1000 guy and actually managed to win the revenge (I'm level 150 or so).

Same here! I was pleasantly surprised. He didn't have his hero on the team so the level didn't make too much difference.

In a moment of weakness I decided to buy the $20 starter pack and a cheap gem pack to get my VIP level up to 3. Auto Scout is kind of cool. I see there's a cheapish pack up with Primsatic Orb that I might cave and buy if I don't blow too much on the Steam sale in the next week.

I may end up pushing into VIP 4 eventually since I'm only like $15 away from that but beyond that I can't see myself getting to the higher levels as the increase in cost per level is pretty crazy.

Also I cashed in 450 gems for some chests and got a ton of runic materials, so I'm not feeling quite as bad about crafting as I was before.

psivamp
Sep 6, 2011

I am expert in shadowy field of many things.
My invade team doesn't use yellow ( Goblin horde and Summoner ), so I managed to get all of Centaur Scout's traits.

It may interest those of your running summoning builds to know that your summons will NOT have traits (i.e. I unlocked Ghoul's first trait. When I use Summoner's ability to get a level 12 Ghoul, he does not have the trait. )

Pointsman
Oct 9, 2010

If you see me posting about fitness
ASK ME HOW MY HELLRAISER TRAINING IS GOING
Any open guilds?
My invite code is "Pointsman".

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Pointsman posted:

Any open guilds?
My invite code is "Pointsman".

Sent you an invite to Gem Boiz.

Pointsman
Oct 9, 2010

If you see me posting about fitness
ASK ME HOW MY HELLRAISER TRAINING IS GOING

Bandire posted:

Sent you an invite to Gem Boiz.

Thanks! :)

Tony Homo
Oct 30, 2014

by zen death robot
Pvp question. This morning I got to rank 1 and now this afternoon I am back to 15. What gives?

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

Tony Homo posted:

Pvp question. This morning I got to rank 1 and now this afternoon I am back to 15. What gives?

It resets every monday. You should have gotten a sizable payout (300 Souls, 2000 Gold, 100 Glory, 10 Glory Keys).

Edit: Every monday starts a new event, generally a new character or weapon. If you go to the rewards section of the store, you'll find a 400 glory chest that contains the character and some keys, gold, and stones.

http://gemsofwar.com/thunder-down-under/

Davethulhu fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Dec 29, 2015

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
Thunder guy seems cool.

I got my second level 10 kingdom. All the others are at least level 5. So I get some nice tributes when I can check in. Working on the other attack kingdoms, but I have started throwing gold at tasks again. The 12 glory key task is nice.

Slowly getting traits and ascensions on my 3 teams I like. Goblin horde is my go to pvp team and my defense. But I also made a divine whitehelm team that stacks a lot of bonuses and pushes out a lot of damage. Archon tanks, and his damage gets massively boosted when hurt. Priestess takes the second spot, and buffs the Paladin's damage in the third. Celestia takes up the last spot, both as a healer/generator and a strong line of last defense, but it never gets down to her.

The classic banshee/alchemist/treant/valkyrie is great for cleaning up quests.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
I've replaced Treant with Green Slime and I find the team is much more efficient now. Unlike Treant, the Slime guarantees you an extra turn* while providing all the purple Banshee could ever want.

*with a little patience and smart use of Alchemist/Valkyrie

ninguno
Jan 17, 2011
Do the multipliers from armor work on treasure maps? It seems like not, which is unfortunate because otherwise it seems like treasure maps seem pretty efficient if you just need some match 3 and not goblin power match 3.

psivamp
Sep 6, 2011

Just picked up 5700 gold from defense against a level 700+ guy running Goblin horde!

ninguno
Jan 17, 2011

psivamp posted:

Just picked up 5700 gold from defense against a level 700+ guy running Goblin horde!

Does that mean he doesn't bother ever picking up his gold anymore since he has nothing to spend it on?

bagina
Jul 21, 2003

Oh shi...

With the changes in the new patch, it seems my pvp defense has gotten exponentially worse. What's the current flavour of the month for people out there? Looking to try some new options.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Set your defense as just your hero with a weapon and rack up losses for revenge for the better rewards.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
my invite code is DARWIN_12. Just started playing this game and it's loving great.

Am I going to hit a point where I need to feed quarters into the machine? I'm like 10 hours in and almost level 30 and have conquered like 4 kingdoms and am rank 9 in pvp at the moment.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Jibo posted:

Set your defense as just your hero with a weapon and rack up losses for revenge for the better rewards.

Eh, I use a strong defense because you get a bit more glory reward that way from wins, people will break through anyway, and revenge is work anyway.

Also, revenge is broken for me; after I win one, trying to do one again will cause the game to get stuck loading something and I have to close and reload the game.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
Winning defense also gives you keys.

duckfarts posted:

Also, revenge is broken for me; after I win one, trying to do one again will cause the game to get stuck loading something and I have to close and reload the game.

Same.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Yeah that's an iOS thing, I think. If you go back to the map between revenge battles then it prevents it but I always forget.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Jibo posted:

Yeah that's an iOS thing, I think. If you go back to the map between revenge battles then it prevents it but I always forget.

Happens on Android as well, including your workaround. It's pretty annoying. L

Sigma-X posted:

my invite code is DARWIN_12. Just started playing this game and it's loving great.

Invited to Gem Boiz.

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

Sigma-X posted:

Am I going to hit a point where I need to feed quarters into the machine? I'm like 10 hours in and almost level 30 and have conquered like 4 kingdoms and am rank 9 in pvp at the moment.

I don't think that monetizing is necessary, though if you're enjoying the game buying a newbie pack or whatever won't hurt.

Things you should try to do as a newish player:
1. Join a guild. Guild rewards have declined a lot since the last couple of updates, thanks to gold becoming more important, but it's better than nothing.
2. Try to get to PvP rank 1 each week. The rank 1 rewards are pretty good, and you get a lot of glory.
3. There are 3 different currencies in the game:
-A. Gems - Save your first 50 for one of the cheap armors. In the current game I'd probably recommend the +gold armor. After that, probably save up for one of the 500 gem armors.
-B. Souls - Do your best to level up your main fighting group. I'm not sure if the arena is still the best source of souls, I haven't played it much lately.
-C. Glory - Probably best spent on chests? You need 400 to get the weapon/troop of the week, and I think you'll get more bang for your buck at low levels on just chests

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Buying glory keys with guild tasks seems way more efficient than maps now.

Maps don't reward trait materials.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

BetterWeirdthanDead posted:

Buying glory keys with guild tasks seems way more efficient than maps now.

Maps don't reward trait materials.

They CAN reward keys though. Including Glory Keys, if you work at them enough.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
Maos reward gem keys if you are baller.

I think I dumped about 18k gold into the last glory key guild task y'all gotta get deep on this. Gold is trivial to earn.

Filecabinet
Aug 16, 2005
Non-Automatic Document Storage System
I downloaded this for PC the other day and I was lucky enough to pull Goblin Rocket, so I made the team suggested in the OP. I'm using a different blue-mana weapon, though.

Trip report:

Invading: 100 battles, 97 wins

Defending: 3 losses, 3 successful revenges

:getin:

Since I'm new and have nothing to compare it to, is the goblin rocket team the most OP poo poo ever, or should I be on the lookout for a different configuration in the future?

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

Filecabinet posted:

Since I'm new and have nothing to compare it to, is the goblin rocket team the most OP poo poo ever, or should I be on the lookout for a different configuration in the future?

I'm using Boar Rider instead of the hero weapon, which I feel is better only in that you have more damage coming out with the Boar Rider while also getting an extra turn. The only real downsides to it are that its grabbing Purple and Green from your Shaman and Goblin/Hobgoblin.

But yeah, Team Goblin is gross as hell. There's some stuff like maxed out Legendaries that are worse to play against, but you're going to have so much life and damage output that you should be able to overcome them.

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
Team Goblin can easily push out over 30 damage per turn. I can usually win with 3-4 turns (enemy turns) depending on how the opening board is stacked.

I swapped in boar rider in the top spot. He's amazing at setting up cascades and 4-matches. Switched my banner double brown so Shaman only takes two matches.

I finally finished all the quests this week, mostly using green slime/alchemist/valkyrie/banshee to farm gold and souls. Sword's Edge required some tougher teams. The Wolf Knights post patch can one-shot the Valkyrie. I could still win, but there's no point using that team without the 40 bonus souls.

psivamp
Sep 6, 2011

Down to like 6 green ( "Rare" ) tier cards left. After that I'll go back to the more sensible course of upgrading kingdoms instead of buying up tons of chests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RussianBear
Sep 14, 2003

I am become death, the destroyer of worlds

psivamp posted:

Down to like 6 green ( "Rare" ) tier cards left. After that I'll go back to the more sensible course of upgrading kingdoms instead of buying up tons of chests.

You may want to prioritize upgrading Darkstone. From the latest patch notes.

Balancing and Changes posted:

Darkstone Kingdom Skill
Darkstone’s Kingdom Skill gained at Kingdom level 10 has been changed from Armor to Magic.

http://gemsofwar.com/baby-youre-a-firework/