Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Motherfucker! I started replacing the B2000's thermostat with plenty of time to spare, but then of course I managed to drop one of the bolts and it has disappeared somewhere in the engine bay. I've been over that whole loving thing with a magnet-on-a-stick and found nothing, and now it's getting dark. I'm just hoping tomorrow I'll be able to spot it in the better light so I don't have to figure out the exact replacement for that loving bolt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I think its a Ford Mondeo - which here in the states is a Contour in one form or another.

Just buy a Contour SVT.

Heh. Speaking of, I just passed on one today... 81k miles, same owner since 32k miles and 2002... probably could get it for $2k, but... :effort:

https://columbus.craigslist.org/cto/5384916347.html

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I think its a Ford Mondeo - which here in the states is a Contour in one form or another.

:eng101:

Actually in the worst case of Ford's insane strategy during the late 90s/2000s of having separate products for the US market and pretty much everywhere else, the Contour was inspired by the Mondeo but the only part the two cars shared was the windshield, a few other minor glass pieces and the door handles - the rest of the car was designed from the ground up as a unique model. .

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
The Contour SVT wasn't a bad little car, given the era it came from. Though it just begs for AWD, then it would be about perfect. I hear the handling is decent and the rest of the car is pretty reliable for a semi hot small sedan.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Pham Nuwen posted:

Motherfucker! I started replacing the B2000's thermostat with plenty of time to spare, but then of course I managed to drop one of the bolts and it has disappeared somewhere in the engine bay. I've been over that whole loving thing with a magnet-on-a-stick and found nothing, and now it's getting dark. I'm just hoping tomorrow I'll be able to spot it in the better light so I don't have to figure out the exact replacement for that loving bolt.

I too know your pain. :smith: This exact scenario happened to me about 2 months ago.
Apparently Japanese car makers have a portal to the Phantom Zone installed just out of sight in the engine.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Biodome posted:

God drat it, I live in Seattle and some rear end in a top hat tried to break into my car and broke my drivers side window. Luckily they weren't able to get inside, so I just have a huge crack on my window. Is the best move to just take it to the dealership and get it fixed?

What kind of vehicle? Might be cheap and easy to replace it yourself, might not be worth DIY if the parts are expensive or difficult to install.

Saw star wars today, I thought it was way better than episodes 1-3.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

I just grabbed a handful of Cheerios out of the box and ate them. So I poured myself a bowl and there were a bunch of maggots or mealworms or some poo poo in them. Ugh. :barf:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Super Aggro Crag posted:

I just grabbed a handful of Cheerios out of the box and ate them. So I poured myself a bowl and there were a bunch of maggots or mealworms or some poo poo in them. Ugh. :barf:

Bonus protein.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

That's what I keep telling myself while I am dry heaving.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

Geoj posted:

:eng101:

Actually in the worst case of Ford's insane strategy during the late 90s/2000s of having separate products for the US market and pretty much everywhere else, the Contour was inspired by the Mondeo but the only part the two cars shared was the windshield, a few other minor glass pieces and the door handles - the rest of the car was designed from the ground up as a unique model. .
I never realised this. What utter madness. I can't see what they were trying to achieve, I guess they must have been cost savings somewhere. I thought it was just cosmetic, but on that note the first gen mondeo was a much nicer looking car inside and out than the contour, so I'm not sure why they felt the need to do that either.

The X type is based on the later mk3 / second gen 01-07 Mondeo whose style was badly aped in the 500 and fusion stateside. I had a boner for that period of Mondeo and considered one instead of my e46.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

stump posted:

I never realised this. What utter madness. I can't see what they were trying to achieve, I guess they must have been cost savings somewhere. I thought it was just cosmetic, but on that note the first gen mondeo was a much nicer looking car inside and out than the contour, so I'm not sure why they felt the need to do that either.

The X type is based on the later mk3 / second gen 01-07 Mondeo whose style was badly aped in the 500 and fusion stateside. I had a boner for that period of Mondeo and considered one instead of my e46.

The x-type may be 'based' on a mondeo but it's substantially worse to work on. Ask me about having to take out the subframe, AWD unit and most of the exhaust to replace the sump gasket because they couldn't be bothered engineering a relief for one of the bolts to be accessible with the transfer case still in place.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

Super Aggro Crag posted:

That's what I keep telling myself while I am dry heaving.

I hear weed is good for nausea.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde
for those of you that haven't seen I HAVE MADE A GRAVE MISTAKE

(and by grave mistake i mean AWESOME DECISION)

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

ExplodingSims posted:

I too know your pain. :smith: This exact scenario happened to me about 2 months ago.
Apparently Japanese car makers have a portal to the Phantom Zone installed just out of sight in the engine.

Did you find it? Give me some hope here man!

I hope to gently caress it isn't wedged behind the fan bracket because that's a bitch to pull off.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Pham Nuwen posted:

Did you find it? Give me some hope here man!

I hope to gently caress it isn't wedged behind the fan bracket because that's a bitch to pull off.

There's a Fastenal just up the street from my house and digging in the engine is :effort:

My condolences.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

ExplodingSims posted:

There's a Fastenal just up the street from my house and digging in the engine is :effort:

My condolences.

poo poo, there's a Fastenal about 1 mile from my house, maybe I'll just say gently caress it and run up there with the remaining bolt.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
You could also use a brighter light to reflect off the bolt or a leaf blower. But only after shoving after rag in the thermostat housing. Forced air works 67% of the time all the time.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.
Going back a page, but when I think late 90s electronic, I think of this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBS4Gi1y_nc

In other news, just wrote an offer on a house. Hoo boy. No garage as it stands, but one of the contingencies I wrote in to the offer was the legality and practicality of building one.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
Just to continue what I started:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbQgXeY_zi4

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Just heard a mid 90s LS400 with cherry bombs.

I want one now.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Speaking of pisssssss --
that Charger looked ok for $4000. There was a big hand-sized patch of rust just past the apex of the rear wheel well, but the underbody was mostly rust free. Surprising for an NH cop car with 176k on it.
The owner said his bottom dollar was $3600. Here's the big thing: it smells unmistakeably of piss on the inside. The car didn't seem have been caged, but I'm guessing the smell is rooted in the rear half of the car.

Do people have experience getting rid of a piss smell? I'm reading that baking soda, steam vaccing carpets, and enzyme cleaners will help.
My main concern is that the piss went from the vinyl seattop down into the base of the seat, where steam vaccing wouldn't be as effective.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Goddamn I'm out of shape.

Put a little over 30 miles on the bike this weekend at a blistering pace of about 10mph. :shobon:

I'm loving the bike, though. Honestly the more I ride this thing the more I wish I had gone for a "proper" road bike with drop bars and all that, but my buddy is a huge mountain bike freak so he influenced my purchasing decision.

Can't wait for spring.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Previa_fun posted:

Put a little over 30 miles on the bike this weekend at a blistering pace of about 10mph. :shobon:

I'm loving the bike, though. Honestly the more I ride this thing the more I wish I had gone for a "proper" road bike with drop bars and all that, but my buddy is a huge mountain bike freak so he influenced my purchasing decision.

Can't wait for spring.

There's a reason n+1 is the mantra in the bike goon thread.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

nm posted:

There's a reason n+1 is the mantra in the bike goon thread.

What does this mean? Increasing your mileage every day?

Also what lights would you recommend for night-time riding? Being seen myself is obviously the number one goal, but a bright light that allows me to see what I'm doing would be nice as well.

Any tips for cold weather riding? Once I got going hard enough uphill I warmed up to the point where I was comfortable in a sweater, but I was freezing my rear end off during a long downhill bit at the end of the ride.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Previa_fun posted:

What does this mean? Increasing your mileage every day?

How many bikes you need is your current number (n) plus one more.

Same with cars and motorcycles.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Oh hey another dumb biek question:

If I'm looking to increase my stamina am I better off riding in a low a gear as possible to keep my RPM up or should I be in a higher gear pushing off on the pedals harder? Or am I looking at this all wrong?

Is there a beginners bike thread? I have skimmed the YLLS threads and those guys' numbers are impressive and a little intimidating.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Previa_fun posted:

I can walk all day long without thinking about it, but throw stairs or bikes in and I fall down go boom. I'm lucky to get a mile in on a bike before I fall over.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Previa_fun posted:

If I'm looking to increase my stamina am I better off riding in a low a gear as possible to keep my RPM up or should I be in a higher gear pushing off on the pedals harder? Or am I looking at this all wrong?

The answer is a typical non-answer, you want to have your legs spinning in a lower gear rather than grinding out a higher one as pushing a gear that's too high will just tire you out that much quicker. Though where the line between spinning nicely and legs going like the spin cycle on a washing machine is down to you, your legs, your gearing and the terrain. If you're finding getting along too easy, use a higher gear, finding it too hard use a lower one. It'll take a while to get used to what your natural riding cadence is.

Also today I rode the bike into work for the first time in over 2 weeks. It felt awful and I was out of breath after the first non-climb. Though I made it in 2 minutes faster than my usual time so.............?!

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Previa_fun posted:

Is there a beginners bike thread? I have skimmed the YLLS threads and those guys' numbers are impressive and a little intimidating.

I think I have the most intimidating numbers :)

Anyway, no, you ALWAYS want to spin to stop screwing your knees. 80-90 rpm is a good place to start. Simply put, to increase cycling stanima is simply ride more. There's no secret sauce to this one - join Strava, log your distance, get inspired by the lunatics is exactly how I went. And actually right here is a good place to start asking questions as half of us also lurk the cycling threads and we range from 5km a week guys to the lunatics with 10,000km+ a year.

The more you ride, the better you get. And you can do that on any bike, I did my first century on a lovely MTB hardtail.

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Jan 4, 2016

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

literally a fish posted:

oh gently caress

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
I can't wait to see the van abomination in the spring.

Hopefully, my moped will be running too.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

kimbo305 posted:

Speaking of pisssssss --
that Charger looked ok for $4000. There was a big hand-sized patch of rust just past the apex of the rear wheel well, but the underbody was mostly rust free. Surprising for an NH cop car with 176k on it.
The owner said his bottom dollar was $3600. Here's the big thing: it smells unmistakeably of piss on the inside. The car didn't seem have been caged, but I'm guessing the smell is rooted in the rear half of the car.

Do people have experience getting rid of a piss smell? I'm reading that baking soda, steam vaccing carpets, and enzyme cleaners will help.
My main concern is that the piss went from the vinyl seattop down into the base of the seat, where steam vaccing wouldn't be as effective.

I used nature's miracle on all the fabric surfaces of my subaru (it smelled like dog piss, go figure) and I took out the plastic parts where fluffy pissed all over the center console and washed them in the dishwasher. I need to take the front seats out to get at the carpet on the sides of the transmission tunnel to get rid of the last lingering vestiges of pee pee stinks. But natures miracle has done amazing wonders for how my car smells. I would say in your case to pop the seat bottom out in the back and remove the vinyl cover. Then soak the foam in natures miracle and wash the cover. You'll likely need some hog ring pliers to get the cover back on. It's been a while since I've hosed with upholstery though.

literally a fish posted:

:hellyeah: Subbed.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Missed a bunch of things, thanks, drinking!

Dance muzaks: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcsfftwLUf0 Jungle - Busy Earnin and the video is pretty freakin' sweet, but not as good as this one.

TT: cancer's the worst, I'm so sorry to hear about your mom :(

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

At least I woke up to winning a silver quarter on Instagram this morning...

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

Previa_fun posted:

Can't wait for spring.
N+1.
One of us.
One of us.
One of us...

The number of bikes you need is the number of bikes you have (N) +1 additional bike.
This remains true when you purchase a new bike. N+1

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jan 4, 2016

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

This morning, I found my car with unmistakable shoeprints all the way up the hood, over the roof and down the trunk, as well as a couple of dents in the roof.

Goddammit :(

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
What the gently caress? Why do you have such poo poo automotive luck? NYE "shenanigans"?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Yeah, it probably happened on new year's eve, drat drunk teenagers! :bahgawd:

(I am allowed to complain about young people now that I'm out of my twenties)

So far, over the last ~14 months or so, my motorcycle was stolen, my car was hit twice (the second time very nearly totaling it) and now some jerkass has walked all over my car.

It's possibly the only 2.2L 406 left anywhere with such low mileage and no rust whatsoever, it really breaks my heart that it just keeps getting damaged in stupid ways. Since I bought it in 2012, I've had three major ($1800+) insurance cases on it, and now this bullshit happens. At least the damage isn't too bad, the dents are only really visible if you know about them.

Still would have loved to catch the little fucker in the act, though.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jan 4, 2016

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42

iwentdoodie posted:

Just heard a mid 90s LS400 with cherry bombs.

I want one now.

The guy who owned the restaurant I live above has been harassing me to sell him my XJ with oil consumption issues so he can put a stroker in it. I've begun to consider it pretty seriously and with how cheap the LS400's are right now I've been sorely tempted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Pham Nuwen posted:

Linus has very little to do with the user accessibility of Linux, considering that he only does the kernel.

Now, that son of a bitch Lennart Poettering, he's done more to gently caress up Linux than anyone else.
loving Poettering can go straight to hell.

iwentdoodie posted:

Guess who just accidentally glued his hand to a beer bottle :v:

loving spray adhesives

time for edward fortyhands I see

blk posted:

Ugh. Woke up to an inch or so of snow on the ground; wife asks me to take her to work. I decide it's not a big enough deal to put snow tires on and I'm short on time anyways. On the way back from dropping her off someone's labradoodle runs in front of me; I try to evade, slide, and curb the car (but not the labradoodle). I hope the wheel isn't bent; it is rashed to hell.I hate snow days.

If someone is too stupid to keep their stupid loving insufferable pet leashed, too bad. I don't risk accidents to prevent them committing suicide by car, rather smash up body panels than suspension/drivetrain parts, they hurt less to replace and source.

• Locked thread