Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy

flatluigi posted:

yeah that's like the entire central concept of his character

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Rorus Raz posted:

I think they did a DKR run last year and I recall it being 100% and super dull.

But there was really good run in either 2014 or 2013 where the guy set a WR with it, so maybe it depends on the runner.

Donkey Kong Racing is hype, it was just a race last time and didn't get any cool commentary because of it

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

flatluigi posted:

A panel watches a bunch of vods and highlight videos that people submit to them and then judges based on what seems like would be well-presented and appealing to watch. The actual selection process hasn't been made publicized because it's probably not by any hard and fast rubric and nerds would rules lawyer the poo poo out of it all, but by what generally makes it in it seems like they do want to prioritize games that haven't been seen at the marathons recently (if ever) and well-recognized game series are sought-after to try to get newer viewers to watch and donate.

Unless the OP is lying to me and the runners are paid for, I assume it is heavily based on who can fly out to wherever they are.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
If you want to watch something that isn't Squeak Squad, Pinball Done Quick is up and running.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Man even the final boss of this game was pretty boring.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Rorus Raz posted:

I think they did a DKR run last year and I recall it being 100% and super dull.

But there was really good run in either 2014 or 2013 where the guy set a WR with it, so maybe it depends on the runner.

Yeah last time was 100% and a race so it was had two negatives against it.

For things like race games it's gotta be any% or gently caress off.

Any% Diddy Kong is pretty entertaining.

mangler103
Jun 6, 2003

Metroid sighting huh? Well, I did just pour this coffee...it will still be there tomorrow.

drunken officeparty posted:

Unless the OP is lying to me and the runners are paid for, I assume it is heavily based on who can fly out to wherever they are.

I assume they commit to flying out when they sign up. I've heard some of them mention that they got donations from their stream fans.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Ahh Yes posted:

Sorry nerds, Kirby sucks

kirby is the cats name

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

The Kins posted:

If you want to watch something that isn't Squeak Squad, Pinball Done Quick is up and running.

Lol they have a commentator this year.

Pinball Done Quick is pretty funny.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

smell this posted:

kirby is the cats name

We named the Dog Indy~!

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Finally Kirby is over

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Earthquake!! Aaaaah!!!

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

drunken officeparty posted:

I mean yeah they're not going to accept people if they can't get to the event but that still leaves a lot of runs to cut down. The submissions for this year had 190 hours of runs for the week-long event, 7 and a half extra hours of bonus donation incentive runs, 279 hours of waitlisted runs in case the accepted ones get canceled, and 1,509 hours of runs that were rejected.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

1v1 me in treasure shot bro

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I assume Rainbow Curse is a bad speedrun game seeing as how it didn't show up in SGDQ nor AGDQ

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Rorus Raz posted:

I assume Rainbow Curse is a bad speedrun game seeing as how it didn't show up in SGDQ nor AGDQ

It's a bad game

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

goldjas posted:

Fire Emblem apparently brings in mad donations so that's why they always have one

it would make sense as insanely boring and long rpgs runs also bring in the donations because we live in an unjust and cruel chaotic world.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Groovelord Neato posted:

it would make sense as insanely boring and long rpgs runs also bring in the donations because we live in an unjust and cruel chaotic world.

anime

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
They should make not having Fire Emblem next year a donation incentive and see how much they make

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Also note that the Fire Emblem they picked is the (first) one with Ike in it

Smash Bros bias confirmed

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I like anime and FE a whole lot but I'm not going to watch someone play all of a loving full-length SRPG much less throw money around during it

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
fire emblem is bad

diddy kong racing is good as long as the run is short, and this is mercifully much shorter than last years if I recall correctly

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Rorus Raz posted:

Have they ever speedran Kirby Triple Deluxe at one of these

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
anime - good
fire emblem & other rpgs: good
fire emblem & other rpgs in a marathon setting: boring as gently caress

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Rorus Raz posted:

It's a really good game with fantastic music but it has a lot of auto scroller levels so I assume it's not in cause of that

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Eonwe posted:

fire emblem is bad

diddy kong racing is good as long as the run is short, and this is mercifully much shorter than last years if I recall correctly

the cooling of the earth took less time than last year's

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
boss endurance was somehow more boring than the rest of the run

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Eonwe posted:

anime - good

anime in a marathon- ????

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Zombies' Downfall posted:

They should make not having Fire Emblem next year a donation incentive and see how much they make

would spend my life savings if no fire emblem/no jrpgs

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Internet Kraken posted:

tried and true

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Internet Kraken posted:

hmm

i will have to think upon this

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Internet Kraken posted:

Super Star Wars is tomorrow afternoon.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

goldjas posted:

Fire Emblem apparently brings in mad donations so that's why they always have one. I personally don't know how true that actually is but it's the reasoning.

Not really. The Radiant Dawn run at AGDQ 2015 actually flattened out the donation curve a bit and the stream lost about 40% of viewers during it. (It did start at midnight and run four hours, though... :ssh:)

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood

Internet Kraken posted:

Speed dating sim anyone?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

why would anyone want to speedrun an RPG in the first place

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Random Stranger posted:

Not really. The Radiant Dawn run at AGDQ 2015 actually flattened out the donation curve a bit and the stream lost about 20% of viewers during it.

there is justice in our cruel world.

Motto posted:

why would anyone want to speedrun an RPG in the first place

a gross misunderstanding of the word "speed"

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

It's a really good game with fantastic music but it has a lot of auto scroller levels so I assume it's not in cause of that

Said no one ever

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Eonwe posted:

anime - good

Did anybody actually watch the event that had the 7 hours and 30 minutes FFVI run. Any of you!?

SWMadness
Jul 16, 2011

Excellent.

Groovelord Neato posted:

At least FFIV this year is only projected to be about 3 hours long as opposed to the FFVI and Chrono Trigger runs which were 5-6 hours long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Random Stranger posted:

Not really. The Radiant Dawn run at AGDQ 2015 actually flattened out the donation curve a bit and the stream lost about 20% of viewers during it.

Because Radiant Dawn is the inferior version of Path of Radiance.

Also loving this Wizpig music. Do i take a shot at the mention of a cancer survivor instead of my X died to cancer?

• Locked thread