Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

The Locator posted:

I put the shields on because it only made about 0.3ly difference in the jump range, and I figured it gave me a little bit of margin. Turned out to be a good idea when the dumb NPC interdicted me and I failed at the mini-game.

The hauler only has a single hard point, I didn't bother putting anything on it, so it's run away and pray, the shield just gives me a little bit more running time.

Edit: I outfitted my Cobra to try mining. Sucks just as expected, but now I know how it works.

Shields and exploration are always a matter of taste. Some like to live dangerously, others like to get back without being blown up. C'est la vie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Huh.. One side effect of my exploration trip - I went from aimless (rank 0) to surveyor (rank 4) in one jump. Appears to be simply based on how much money's I've made doing exploration. Might open up some more missions for me now.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Are certain ships just more resistant to sun heat? Like on my Asp I could get right near the suns danger zone and not take that much heat while doing flyby scoopings but I try to do that with an FAS and the thing starts going crazy.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Are certain ships just more resistant to sun heat? Like on my Asp I could get right near the suns danger zone and not take that much heat while doing flyby scoopings but I try to do that with an FAS and the thing starts going crazy.
Yeah, some ships seem to have innately better heat dissipation (Diamondback/Asp lines, Python, Fer-de-Lance since 1.5/2.0 hit) but the quality of your powerplant also plays a part in heat dissipation. An A class powerplant (size is irrelevant) is the best at dissipating heat so you'll often see explorers downsizing their powerplant to the smallest A class powerplant they can get away with to maximise heat dissipation and minimise weight.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Did you have no shields and 1% hull? That's a pretty hard landing.
98% hull and full shields. Rate of descent indicator was showing something like 5 to 7 pips before I hit I think.

JosephSkunk
Dec 16, 2003
Yes, evidently you had misperceived it as rain.
Is the game not working for anyone else? When i try to launch it from the launcher, it just pretends i didn't tell it to do anything after a few moments, and DNS lookups appear to be failing for frontier.co.uk

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

JosephSkunk posted:

Is the game not working for anyone else? When i try to launch it from the launcher, it just pretends i didn't tell it to do anything after a few moments, and DNS lookups appear to be failing for frontier.co.uk

Last night I was having issues getting on to their forums and ended up changing my computer's DNS server address in order to fix it. I didn't attempt to play the game before I did this so maybe I would have had the same issue that you are having right now had I.

Atrayonis
Jul 6, 2008

Godspeed, brave canary
The Taurus Dark Region really is pretty dark - not a single star in that nebula over there.
Well, here's some pics form the outside from babby's first exploration weekend trip:

Should've gone to Barnard's Loop.

Atrayonis fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jan 4, 2016

RossCo
Dec 30, 2012

I have no idea what I am doing in almost any given situation.
Whoever did the sound design for the Eagles boost sound is a genius. That weird singing noise followed by the engine firing is worth the price I paid for this game on its own.

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

im judjing all goons cause they have bad leader, so a noral member is associated whith thoose crasy one

Personaly i would quit the goons if i was in cause of thoose crasy ppl
Clapping Larry

RossCo posted:

Whoever did the sound design for the Eagles boost sound all the sounds is a genius. That weird singing noise followed by the engine firing is worth the price I paid for this game on its own.

Wait 'til you get a hauler, with its 'haunted' engine. The Adder sings too, even more disturbingly.

All the ships will give you something new and unique noise-wise. And that's before you start doing things like listening to the stations with engines off, or checking the different planet sounds on system map when exploring.

Oh, and of course this noise:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BitHbh8z7N8

Whilst everyone says a good joystick makes Elite more fun (and it does), good headphones are just as important!

With headphones, I recommend "night mode" from audio options, that enhances the detail.

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.
I just started back up again after about 6 months away, I don't have Horizons yet. I went down to Cherets to take part in that bounty hunting CG but I don't see any resource zones. I'll check around in neighboring systems but is that still the best way to get bounties, just sit in a planet's ring and kill pirates? If so, can I do the high-intensity ones in a kinda newbie-fit Python?

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Alright, I had enough fun docking and flying around with E:D that I just bought Horizons. Problem is, I am completely clueless and I'm not quite sure how to get myself started. Once very blue moon I'll get a decent delivery contract, but for the most part I rarely have any to choose from (and when I do, the one or two I can choose from seem just awful). I've read some tutorial stuff but none of it seems to help so far and I'm getting tired of going from station to station just to constantly come up empty on missions. (On the plus side, at least I'm pretty good at docking). At some point I want to play with goons, but I'm just trying to figure some poo poo out now.

- Am I correct in avoiding combat missions in the Sidewinder? It seems like trying these in the worst ship with all of the worst quality upgrades would be a bad idea, but maybe the enemies I fight would be even worse (like, no shields or something)?

- I typically see a lot of surface mission possibilities so I decided to buy myself a planetary hangar. Problem is, I couldn't find out how much it would be to buy the SRV until it was too late and I already spent all my money on the hangar (woops). Is doing planetary missions a good way to get started?

- I am completely confused about exploration. I read somewhere that you can scan someplace that has already been scanned and get some money (but not as much as the first scanner), but I've never actually been able to scan anything. I'm guessing I've mostly been in some sort of already explored NPC systems, but how can I tell? I looked at the map and couldn't find a filter for 'scan poo poo in this system to actually get money'.

- Are there better places to go that have more 'new player' missions available, or is it just luck of the draw? The game started me in some tiny pirate station, but I haven't had much luck finding missions there.

- Does it matter if I'm 'speeding'?

- I read I should avoid joining any factions or anything, is that true?

- Can I shoot myself in the foot by accepting the wrong missions? A long time ago I used to do missions in Eve, and you could easily screw up your faction and lock out parts of the game if you didn't know better.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Mike the TV posted:

Ever since Horizons I'll occasionally be playing for an hour or so and the textures will get really really bad. It kind of feels like playing TIE Fighter. I've heard that maybe it's because my graphics card 'only' has 2gb memory and Horizons will use over 4 if you let it. It doesn't happen on planets though, so I'm skeptical. I have an R9 270x and I've been able to play on custom ultra settings previously (actually play ultra on all games including Witcher 3 with hairworks off lol). Anyway, here's a funny picture of what I mean:

Happens on my 2GB R9 card too.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

drat Dirty Ape posted:

- Am I correct in avoiding combat missions in the Sidewinder? It seems like trying these in the worst ship with all of the worst quality upgrades would be a bad idea, but maybe the enemies I fight would be even worse (like, no shields or something)?

- I typically see a lot of surface mission possibilities so I decided to buy myself a planetary hangar. Problem is, I couldn't find out how much it would be to buy the SRV until it was too late and I already spent all my money on the hangar (woops). Is doing planetary missions a good way to get started?

- I am completely confused about exploration. I read somewhere that you can scan someplace that has already been scanned and get some money (but not as much as the first scanner), but I've never actually been able to scan anything. I'm guessing I've mostly been in some sort of already explored NPC systems, but how can I tell? I looked at the map and couldn't find a filter for 'scan poo poo in this system to actually get money'.

- Are there better places to go that have more 'new player' missions available, or is it just luck of the draw? The game started me in some tiny pirate station, but I haven't had much luck finding missions there.

- Can I shoot myself in the foot by accepting the wrong missions? A long time ago I used to do missions in Eve, and you could easily screw up your faction and lock out parts of the game if you didn't know better.

Combat missions in a sidey are pretty bad to try. There's no such thing as enemy scaling due to what you are flying. Hell, you might be really unlucky and just run into a bunch of anacondas in a sidewinder if you go to unidentified signals. You CAN do them, but you'll need to be very careful. For example you can 'leech' off a target in a high->low res by shooting at a target after the spacecops begin shooting it. Don't shoot it too much, or it will change it's attention to you.

Surface missions are not something I know, unfortunately. I will have Horizons soon.

You just need to go to a target after you use your discovery scanner and just stay locked on it and aiming at it until it gives you details. That's the just of beginning exploration. Of course an advanced discovery scanner and a surface scanner will really help you. It's enough to just lock onto the target and wait for it to give details to get some money. You will need to go to a station at least 20LY away to sell the information through the universal cartographer.

There are no "good" places for new players, unfortunately as well. But outside the bubble of starting, it'll all be good. Check out the PGS thread to find out about the goon faction in the game.

Speeding only gives you a fine if you hit someone, or if you hit someone and they explode you will get a bounty and the station will kill you.

Do not join powerplay factions there's no point right now. The Empire, Federation have ranks and you can be part of both of them, it doesn't matter. The alliance just has reputation. All minor factions will also have reputation.

You only lose reputation if you fail or drop a mission. You won't lose anything if you accept a mission. Just try not to fail/drop missions if you are trying to gain reputation with that one minor faction. For going out and just doing missions wherever, it won't really be a problem.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
I was getting utterly destroyed in surface missions until I figured out that you can hover over the enemy base in your ship and blast everything to pieces before landing. now they're trivially easy.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

IAmTheRad posted:

You just need to go to a target after you use your discovery scanner and just stay locked on it and aiming at it until it gives you details. That's the just of beginning exploration. Of course an advanced discovery scanner and a surface scanner will really help you. It's enough to just lock onto the target and wait for it to give details to get some money. You will need to go to a station at least 20LY away to sell the information through the universal cartographer.

Awesome thanks! How do I know if I've scanned something or not? I've basically flown around my system and everytime I use my scanner it tells me that I've not found anything (even if I'm right at the sun or something).

IAmTheRad posted:

You only lose reputation if you fail or drop a mission. You won't lose anything if you accept a mission. Just try not to fail/drop missions if you are trying to gain reputation with that one minor faction. For going out and just doing missions wherever, it won't really be a problem.

Woops! I accepted planetary missions because I thought I read somewhere that if you bought Horizons your ship would have everything you need to do planetary stuff (turns out, you can fly on planets but the SRV stuff is sold separately). Oh well, I doubt it was that big a hit.

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

im judjing all goons cause they have bad leader, so a noral member is associated whith thoose crasy one

Personaly i would quit the goons if i was in cause of thoose crasy ppl
Clapping Larry

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Alright, I had enough fun docking and flying around with E:D that I just bought Horizons. Problem is, I am completely clueless and I'm not quite sure how to get myself started. Once very blue moon I'll get a decent delivery contract, but for the most part I rarely have any to choose from (and when I do, the one or two I can choose from seem just awful). I've read some tutorial stuff but none of it seems to help so far and I'm getting tired of going from station to station just to constantly come up empty on missions. (On the plus side, at least I'm pretty good at docking). At some point I want to play with goons, but I'm just trying to figure some poo poo out now.

- Yes

- No. Sell that thing back - planet stuff is slow, fiddly, and can wait. You get 100% of the cost back for selling equipment, so feel free to experiment

- Your default Sidewinder comes with a basic scanner. Don't worry about being first on anything, that'll need you to be hundreds of LY away, just assign it to something in a fire group, and scan every time you jump - it's free money, though not much.

- Not really, missions are the same everywhere, they get better (and harder) with rank & faction alignment

- Only if you hit someone

- Powerplay factions? Yeah, avoid that for now, there are no benefits for a new player. Empire/Federation? You can't really 'join', and they are not exclusive, so helping either is fine.

- You won't lock anything out. You might lose a bit of money by abandoning a mission that gives you cargo, but that's all.

quote:

The game started me in some tiny pirate station, but I haven't had much luck finding missions there

Move around. Use the galaxy map, look for bigger stations, and take courier/transport/smuggling missions to get a few credits to get started. Don't touch anything that requires you to *find* stolen goods, that way lies madness. Sell your shields & weapons, buy a fuel scoop and learn to use it, then upgrade frame shift drive + cargo space with any extra cash.

Then get your rear end to 63 G. Capricorni, and check PGS thread:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3740324

introduce yourself, and sign up - Goons will happily donate expensive cargo, or babysit you through a profitable bit of bounty killing for some starter cash!

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Target Practice posted:

I just started back up again after about 6 months away, I don't have Horizons yet. I went down to Cherets to take part in that bounty hunting CG but I don't see any resource zones. I'll check around in neighboring systems but is that still the best way to get bounties, just sit in a planet's ring and kill pirates? If so, can I do the high-intensity ones in a kinda newbie-fit Python?

Yes. Just keep your cargo hold empty so that pirates won't care about you, and you can pick and choose your own battles. This goes for every ship in every type of RES.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

xiansi posted:

Wait 'til you get a hauler, with its 'haunted' engine. The Adder sings too, even more disturbingly.

All the ships will give you something new and unique noise-wise. And that's before you start doing things like listening to the stations with engines off, or checking the different planet sounds on system map when exploring.

Whilst everyone says a good joystick makes Elite more fun (and it does), good headphones are just as important!

With headphones, I recommend "night mode" from audio options, that enhances the detail.

That jump-in animation and sound for the capitals is amazing.

I've never been a huge fan of headphones for gaming, but since I live alone I just run a full home theater setup on my PC, and the 12" sub and main towers more than make up for lack of headphones. :v:

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Having just been in your boots, I happened upon a Low Intensity Resource Extraction Site [RES] in the Frey system which is a few (3 or 4) from the starting system of Trevthick (if you started there.) Stay away from the High RES. There are NPC pirates in these sites. The low one has a fair amount of systems police and the NPC pirates that attack are mainly in smaller ships, many without shields. I was able to grind my way into an Eagle pretty quickly and from there into a Viper.

I got ahead of myself and flew out to Li-Yong space to buy the discounted Cobra, not quite thinking it through that the modules cost substantially more than on an Eagle or Viper. Add to that the Cobra uses size 4 modules and I didn't realize that many stations don't stock them. Oops. :doh: I found another low RES site nearby and a station that sells the larger modules. I'm torn between downgrading back into the Viper and making my way to 63 G. Capricorn or grinding it out for a little while longer in the Cobra. I'm leaning toward the latter because the Viper has some pretty short jump range.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Oh yeah, just using the scanner will give you a few credits. Forgot to mention that. When you target something and wait for it to finish scanning, that's a level 2 scan. Level 3 is a detailed surface scan. They go up in value, but just finding something with the discovery scanner will give a few credits. It's not much, but if you do lots of travelling it will pay off in the long run. Not to mention it can increase your 'exploration' Elite ranking. Some missions need higher exploration rank to do them. Shame I'm mostly Aimless since I don't do discovery.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Thanks for the advice everyone. I think I'll fart around and try a couple of surface missions (just to see how they work) and then take the thread's advice and sell that stuff and move on. Some NPC interdicted me (or whatever) and I somehow accidentally escaped him without even knowing how. What's the best course of action when that happens again?

Also, apparently I was getting confused about the exploration because some of the inhabited systems seem to be pre-scanned. I jumped to some system that let me scan the sun like normal.

MoraleHazard posted:

Having just been in your boots, I happened upon a Low Intensity Resource Extraction Site [RES] in the Frey system which is a few (3 or 4) from the starting system of Trevthick (if you started there.) Stay away from the High RES. There are NPC pirates in these sites. The low one has a fair amount of systems police and the NPC pirates that attack are mainly in smaller ships, many without shields. I was able to grind my way into an Eagle pretty quickly and from there into a Viper.

Actually Trevthick is exactly where I started (and here I thought it was more random than that, heh). I actually have no idea what RES is or how to find them anyway (are they asteroids?). What ship did you start with? I assume you are tagging ships that the NPC police are shooting?

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Actually Trevthick is exactly where I started (and here I thought it was more random than that, heh). I actually have no idea what RES is or how to find them anyway (are they asteroids?). What ship did you start with? I assume you are tagging ships that the NPC police are shooting?

I forgot to mention that RES sites (where NPC miners are doing their thing) can be found by gas giants with rings. The sites are in the planet's rings. The Frey system has a couple. I started with a sidewider, and got lucky on a 100k bounty.

alr
May 14, 2009

YellerBill posted:

The FAS is a hull tank instead-- the shields are there to slow down the rate at which you lose hull to ramming/weapons fire (mostly ramming). The FAS has amazing pitch and yaw, I had absolutely no complaints about its controls whereas I always thought the FDL felt like something was actively slowing down all of its movements.

24-7 Urkel Cosplay posted:

With the FAS I was able to keep my target sighted nearly the entire time and the top hardpoint has amazing range if you use a gimbal. I left the CZ because I had run out of ammo, but still had 74% hull.

The FAS lets you be pretty ridiculous with just how far you can push it. My loadout is a Large fixed beam on the bottom slot, two fixed pulses on the medium bottom slot and a cannon up on the top large slot. Two passive shield boosters, KWS, Chaff, though I could probably lose the chaff since it's only needed if you get arrogant with engaging a wing that consists of something like a Python and two Clippers when they have no other targets. For HazRes fighting I have five hull reinforcement packages. I dunno if they act like passive heatsinks but I can fight in the rings of Xihe 1 (a brown dwarf that'll get you to 60% heat just floating in space) and never need to worry about excessive module damage. Shields just come up on that Anaconda? Four pips to weapons, strip them in one go while spiking to >130% heat, use the cannon while it cools down, rinse and repeat. Clipper and Python shields can be taken down in one pass, because you just don't need to worry about module damage as much as other ships.

When your cannon is dry and your modules are giving you error messages about constant malfunctions (which don't matter, because your lasers will come up eventually and you're a floating fortress) you're looking at a repair bill that can be covered by two Eagle bounties. That's after being really, really stupid with heat management and ramming anything smaller than a Python, even when your shields are down.

I wasn't a fan of this thing when I bought it and thought the rep grind wasn't really worth it but now I'm sold. Can definitely see how some people wouldn't like it, though, especially since it looks about how you'd expect a block of space armour to look.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Thanks for the advice everyone. I think I'll fart around and try a couple of surface missions (just to see how they work) and then take the thread's advice and sell that stuff and move on. Some NPC interdicted me (or whatever) and I somehow accidentally escaped him without even knowing how. What's the best course of action when that happens again?

Apparently the best method when being interdicted is to immediately throttle to zero. Upon submitting to the interdiction, you get a really short cooldown on pulling up your FSD compared to losing the interdiction minigame (something like 60 seconds versus 10 seconds I think?). After you let the enemy eagle or whatever chew on your butt for ten seconds, start up your FSD and then continue on with your life.

Now, if you want to play the minigame, you need to find the point where it says "interdiction escape vector" and do your hardest to try and stay with it. If you win: you don't even drop out of FSD and your opponent gets to eat poo poo. If you lose: locked out of FSD for whatever I said above while the guy pulls the paint off your plane.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Exploration wise I made about 1.5 million just cruising out to the coalstack nebula to trial out my new cobra ship. Came back after about ten hours and hit trailblazer. I beelined to one of the black hole and nuetron star systems I found on the way and then did an economical path into the nebula. Mainly I focused on scanning systems that had gas giants and scammed everyone of them. I didn't really plan out much past that until I hit the nebula and then started moving down it from there.

That nebula is filled with proto and brown dwarf stars which was really cool to fly into. When you hit a system with only a brown dwarf its just dark, almost no light because of the nebula itself. Got about halfway down before starting back and hit an awesome system I should have screencapped. Large type B star with 2 neutron stars in system. Then in orbit 8 brown dwarfs and 6 had ring systems! Hit everything there and finished up at home. Scanned out about 55 or so stars I think and had over 2000 level 2 scans when done with 100 level three.

Like everyone says. Your not making mega bucks but its a blast. Just went back out to the Eskimo nebula and ended for the night. Will start heading to the horsehead nebula after doing a detour to the witches head. Scout out the bubble of nebula there and start heading back in a week or so. Once I'm back I'll hopefully be able to kit out an asp or a diamondback and leave for the northwest quadrent.

By the way, is it goofy for me to kit out a second fueltank on my explorers? Besides that and a few defensive measures I do standard stuff. Just like the extra security in case I hit patches of non scoopable stars like dwarfs or protostars

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Cowcaster posted:

Apparently the best method when being interdicted is to immediately throttle to zero. Upon submitting to the interdiction, you get a really short cooldown on pulling up your FSD compared to losing the interdiction minigame (something like 60 seconds versus 10 seconds I think?). After you let the enemy eagle or whatever chew on your butt for ten seconds, start up your FSD and then continue on with your life.

When I was first starting out, I did this and then got interdicted two more times by the same guy immediately after supercruising away. Not sure if I was just doing something wrong, though.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

RVProfootballer posted:

When I was first starting out, I did this and then got interdicted two more times by the same guy immediately after supercruising away. Not sure if I was just doing something wrong, though.

Yeah unless you jump to another system there is a good chance that you will constantly be interdicted by the same guy over and over again. Just jump out of the system and back in, if you get the dont panic messages chances are you are good.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

xiansi posted:

I just got this in the Steam sale and the number one thing I'm impressed with is the sound. I mean I get the vacuum thing so don't :science: me but between that hilarious VOIP mask and the low rumble and thump a passing ship makes, I mean, drat. Whoever did the effects on this game should get a medal or something.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

VikingSkull posted:

I just got this in the Steam sale and the number one thing I'm impressed with is the sound. I mean I get the vacuum thing so don't :science: me but between that hilarious VOIP mask and the low rumble and thump a passing ship makes, I mean, drat. Whoever did the effects on this game should get a medal or something.

Overhearing the public announcements in space stations is the best, too.

"Loitering is a crime punishable by death"

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

HJE-Cobra posted:

Overhearing the public announcements in space stations is the best, too.

"Loitering is a crime punishable by death"

Different stations have different voices and accents too.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Has anyone tried this with a VR headset? I dunno if I wanna be that big of a nerd, but I have a battleship of a gaming rig and if I was gonna try it this would be the game.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Angrymog posted:

Different stations have different voices and accents too.

The 'dictator information minister guy' is the best. I think Skvortsov has him.

"Do not attempt to land on a pad that is not assigned to you. Such acts of terrorism will be harshly punished"

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

VikingSkull posted:

Has anyone tried this with a VR headset? I dunno if I wanna be that big of a nerd, but I have a battleship of a gaming rig and if I was gonna try it this would be the game.

Track IR and any of the current or soon to be available headsets are highly encouraged.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

:cawg:

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Is it a bad idea to get this game for the XBONE? I'm wondering if I'll end up in a deserted wasteland in a couple of months, but I don't really want to fork out for a better PC/peripherals right now.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
This is gonna sound like a dumb question but I am coming back after a few months away - is Horizons still a separate save or are they one and the same now. Like, is my progress gonna get wiped when it stops being Early Access?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Strategic Tea posted:

The 'dictator information minister guy' is the best. I think Skvortsov has him.

"Do not attempt to land on a pad that is not assigned to you. Such acts of terrorism will be harshly punished"

I like the asian sounding empire lady in some of the stations. I find the way she says "pilots" kind of cute :3:.

Akion posted:

This is gonna sound like a dumb question but I am coming back after a few months away - is Horizons still a separate save or are they one and the same now. Like, is my progress gonna get wiped when it stops being Early Access?
Its the same save.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

VikingSkull posted:

A couple of my friends are playing it on the oculus dk2 and they pretty much say it's one of the best things they've ever seen and can't imagine playing it without VR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

So this dumb game is really giving me an itch to get a 34" ultrawide 3440x1440 monitor. Will a GTX980 drive that resolution in this game, or is it going to fail miserably and require a pair of 980ti's in SLI or something crazy?

Sultan Tarquin posted:

A couple of my friends are playing it on the oculus dk2 and they pretty much say it's one of the best things they've ever seen and can't imagine playing it without VR.

Every VR sort of thing I've ever tried gave me a headache. Wish there was a way to try an Oculus on a 'test run' before dropping the money on one.

• Locked thread