Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Thanks to all of you. I like the idea of Civil War because it is kind of weird to have these super powered vigilantes running round but hey, that's why it's a comic right? House of M it is next then. I've been quite Marvelcentric what do people like in the way of big DC storylines? There's probably going to be a lot of Batman in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Ultragonk posted:

I've been quite Marvelcentric what do people like in the way of big DC storylines? There's probably going to be a lot of Batman in there.

52 is probably the best big storyline DC has done.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

prefect posted:

Yeah, the best way to read Civil War is to take it not at all seriously, because it's awfully stupid.

How to read Mark Millar comics.txt

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
The SHRA is this macguffin that to the despair of writers actually made things a gray area, so they fixed it until Tony Stark was Hitler.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
See, the main Civil War series isn't actually that bad, imo. It's not really good by any stretch of the imagination but aside from being a little bland it doesn't really do anything massively wrong either.

Civil War completely falls apart and is an utter train wreck because of the tie ins. So. Many. lovely tie ins.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Ultragonk posted:

Thanks to all of you. I like the idea of Civil War because it is kind of weird to have these super powered vigilantes running round but hey, that's why it's a comic right? House of M it is next then. I've been quite Marvelcentric what do people like in the way of big DC storylines? There's probably going to be a lot of Batman in there.

Most of Batman's big storylines are good. Knightfall, Contagion, No Man's Land are all really good. No Man's Land is one of the best Batman stories there is IMO.

The pre-reboot 00's stuff is a bit more hit or miss. War Games in particular is loving terrible and nobody should read it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

WickedHate posted:

See, the main Civil War series isn't actually that bad, imo. It's not really good by any stretch of the imagination but aside from being a little bland it doesn't really do anything massively wrong either.

Civil War completely falls apart and is an utter train wreck because of the tie ins. So. Many. lovely tie ins.

A lot of that is because editorial didn't have a clear idea of what the SHRA was and what it was supposed to do. It became largely canon that it allowed the government to draft anyone into the Initiative with the alternative of being thrown in jail, even though the original idea was just that superpowered people have to register their powers and that was about it.

It also had probably the first instance of Cyclops Was Right when they came a-knockin' and he told them to piss off since they were already functionally registered.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Ultragonk posted:

I've helpfully addressed everything you need to know about DC crossovers here.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

WickedHate posted:

Who could forget the tie-in where a reporter didn't think Captain America embodied his persona because he didn't know what Myspace or Nascar was???

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Ultragonk posted:

It's an older one, but I still have fond memories of the Invasion! crossover.

DC One Million was, as Squizzle is trying to indicate, really great. Don't miss out on the Hitman tie-in issue.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

I've never managed to figure the perfect reading order for 1,000,000, but I've also never managed to try a reading order in which it's not an excellent read. One of the most simply enjoyable works of pop-pulp fiction I've ever read, let alone one of the best superhero crossover events.

You know, given Morrison's reportedly high involvement with at least plotting ask many of the issues in the event, the number of plotlines running, and the ability to read it coherently in a variety of different orders—DC One Million seems like an early technical prototype of Seven Soldiers.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I wouldn't advise reading DC1M without Morrison's whole JLA around it.

It's very 80's, and I'm not suggesting it for the tight story, but read the original DC mega-event; Crisis on Infinite Earths. Knowing noting, I found it really fascinating to be flung past basically every character ever up to that point. It got me really invested in learning the history of the company, and it's important knowledge for all manner of things from most of the other Crisis-es to Morrison's Animal Man.

With that and a little bit of reading about Jack Kirby's New Gods, and you could jump into the current Justice League Darkseid War event, get all the big stakes and have a lot of fun.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Jan 4, 2016

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Teenage Fansub posted:

I read Morrison's JLA in trades years after the fact, so I got thoroughly confused when the One Million issues were included. They kept making references to things that happened in other One Million books, and I had no clue at the time that it had been a company-wide thing. :downs:

Doctor Spaceman posted:

52 is really, really great, and I say that as a lifelong Marvel zombie. I can't recommend it highly enough, even if you don't know anything about the main characters involved.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Travis343 posted:

Most of Batman's big storylines are good. Knightfall, Contagion, No Man's Land are all really good. No Man's Land is one of the best Batman stories there is IMO.

The pre-reboot 00's stuff is a bit more hit or miss. War Games in particular is loving terrible and nobody should read it.

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

It's an older one, but I still have fond memories of the Invasion! crossover.

DC One Million was, as Squizzle is trying to indicate, really great. Don't miss out on the Hitman tie-in issue.

Teenage Fansub posted:

It's very 80's, and I'm not suggesting it for the tight story, but read the original DC mega-event; Crisis on Infinite Earths. Knowing noting, I found it really fascinating to be flung past basically every character ever up to that point. It got me really invested in learning the history of the company, and it's important knowledge for all manner of things from most of the other Crisis-es to Morrison's Animal Man.

With that and a little bit of reading about Jack Kirby's New Gods, and you could jump into the current Justice League Darkseid War event, get all the big stakes and have a lot of fun.

Thanks everyone. I've found 52, Knightfall and No Man's Land as well as Crisis on Infinite Earths. Still looking for a good place to get Contagion and DC 1 million and Invasion!

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Ultragonk posted:

looking for a good place to get DC 1 million

JLA: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1401233147?keywords=morrison%20jla&qid=1451938584&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1 Vol 1-4
DC1M Omnibus: http://www.instocktrades.com/TP/DC/DC-COMICS-ONE-MILLION-OMNIBUS-HC/JUN130262
or TPB with just the Morrison written issues and some little bits http://www.amazon.com/JLA-Million-C...JYV0860HAMM87M0

You'll see where to read DC1M when JLA 1000000 comes up in JLA.

e: These aren't crossovers, but keep the rest of Grant Morrion's DC in mind for future purchases,
Seven Soldiers:
http://www.amazon.com/Seven-Soldier...=seven+soldiers
http://www.amazon.com/Seven-Soldier...=seven+soldiers
Superman:
http://www.amazon.com/All-Star-Supe...l-star+superman
http://www.amazon.com/Superman-Acti...n+action+comics V1-3
Batman:
http://vertigology.net/2015/01/14/grant-morrisons-batman-reading-order/

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jan 4, 2016

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

prefect posted:

52 is really, really great, and I say that as a lifelong Marvel zombie. I can't recommend it highly enough, even if you don't know anything about the main characters involved.

To join the bandwagon, I knew little-to-nothing about most of the characters, I loved that book. One of the few event comics I can say that about.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Will any of that ship to the U.K.? Thanks for looking as well.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Ultragonk posted:

Will any of that ship to the U.K.? Thanks for looking as well.

You can check on Amazon.co.uk

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

bobkatt013 posted:

You can check on Amazon.co.uk

Christ they have a paperback on there for over £200. Might be waiting till the end of the month to order the slightly more affordable hardcover.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Have you considered going digital?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Teenage Fansub posted:

Have you considered going digital?

Yeah, I'm on it everything I have so far is digital so this won't be different. Considering I only started back with comics a couple of months ago because I wanted to see what had happened with the X-Men I've spent an embarrassing amount of cash on them. Thanks for your help.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Is this Bagley art? There are only a few artists I can reliably identify, but this looks like Ultimate Spider-Man to me:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

prefect posted:

Is this Bagley art? There are only a few artists I can reliably identify, but this looks like Ultimate Spider-Man to me:

Yep Bagley art no doubt.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Ultimate Spidey was the official merchandise Spidey for a while, wasn't he?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Maybe for a minute. Bagley's 616 Spider-Man art was the official stuff used for a while before they went to whatever generic art they used for all of Marvel's merchandise. Who is that artist? He did a lot of those "mash everyone into a picture" group shots that'd pop up once a year where a lot of the characters were just copy pasted from comics. It was the same art as those Marvel motivational posters that used to be around.

That pinball machine seems to use all art from comic panels or other promotional material.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

that's a dope pinball machine, only Spidey pinball i've ever played was the movie one.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

that's a dope pinball machine, only Spidey pinball i've ever played was the movie one.

I think it may be the same machine you played, since it's a re-release:

Clouseau posted:

Stern is rereleasing Spiderman with redone art/dots in the current comic style:

Seems like there was a lot of demand for a vault edition, but Sony wasn't gonna let them rerelease the Toby Maguire era movie stuff. There's more pics on their facebook. I love the siderails for it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ultragonk posted:

FYI Civil War is probably among the most popular and well received crossovers outside of this forum.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

zoux posted:

FYI Civil War is probably among the most popular and well received crossovers outside of this forum.

Yea, I have friends who were lapsed comic readers who got back into comics because of Civil War and Identity Crisis. I think people here hate it because everyone acts out of character, but if you don't know how people have acted in the past they come across fine for the story.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

zoux posted:

THAT DOESN'T MAKE IT GOOD :mad:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

CapnAndy posted:

THAT DOESN'T MAKE IT GOOD :mad:

True, but I think someone trying to get into modern Marvel pretty much has to read it, it's so important to the overall stories that come after it.

Madkal posted:

Yea, I have friends who were lapsed comic readers who got back into comics because of Civil War and Identity Crisis. I think people here hate it because everyone acts out of character, but if you don't know how people have acted in the past they come across fine for the story.

That doesn''t bother me because it's a 9/11 allegory and for many irl people in this country the same thing happened: huge tragedy, sudden heel turn. Dennis Miller and Dan Simmons come instantly to mind.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Civil War makes a lot more sense once you know Millar really just wanted an excuse for superheroes to punch each other and the SHRA was created mainly to fill that burning need.

It's not really about politics, but it sure fooled people (and other creators) into thinking that!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Civil War makes a lot more sense once you know Millar really just wanted an excuse for superheroes to punch each other and the SHRA was created mainly to fill that burning need.

It's not really about politics, but it sure fooled people (and other creators) into thinking that!

Source your absurd claims please.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
It turns out my memories of it were a bit warped, but here you go.

Mark Millar posted:

The big idea that evolved into "Civil War" was born while Millar and Bendis were out one morning before the summit. "We were out shopping for presents for our daughters and Bendis said to me, 'I don't like the sound of the crossovers they're talking about.' And he said, 'What if we do SHIELD versus the Marvel Universe?'" Millar explained. "I thought, 'Hrmm. It's kind of interesting.' Then he said, 'I've been setting up this stuff in 'Avengers,' where the superheroes have to reveal their secret identities or SHIELD will go out and force everyone to do so.' I liked his idea, but I felt as if the whole superhero registration act thing had sort of been done in things like 'Watchmen' and 'The Incredibles.' I also felt SHIELD had been used too much.

"I said to Brian, 'I don't know. I think there is something there,'" Millar continued. "A project that Brian Hitch and I were working on as our follow up to 'The Ultimates' was originally titled 'Civil War.' I actually borrowed some of the ideas from that; brought them forward and I thought 'What if instead of SHIELD versus the heroes, it's the heroes versus the heroes? And instead of being the secret identities which has been done before maybe these guys are being asked to work for the federal government and some of them are agreeing to do it and other ones are not. It's an ideological split down the middle."

And it ended up having the SHRA and SHIELD as major factors anyway. And now that I think about it, it makes perfect sense as an Ultimates storyline.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.
Civil War was a really cool concept that was absolutely worth exploring, but was given to a writer who was completely incapable of doing that concept justice. As someone upthread mentioned, the SHRA itself was presented in a way that demonstrated zero understanding of how laws and human rights work in the United States, and no one seemed comfortable with the ethical gray areas the story presented. As a result, characters who were supposed to be heroes took actions better suited to mustache-twirling villains, without the doubt or self-examination that would have made those actions interesting, because someone "had to" be the bad guy. Millar managed to portray Iron Man as a conflicted man who doesn't like what he's doing but feels he has no choice, but that's about it.

That last sentence might be the nicest thing I've ever said about Millar.

I haven't read the Secret Wars Civil War mini, but giving the title to Charles Soule seems like the smartest choice Marvel could have made. Who better than a lawyer?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Madkal posted:

This might be true for Civil War, but everyone here hates IDC because it's a really bad murder mystery with a solution that not only can't be figured out within the story but makes even less sense once you know who did it.

Chaos Hippy posted:

I haven't read the Secret Wars Civil War mini, but giving the title to Charles Soule seems like the smartest choice Marvel could have made. Who better than a lawyer?
This had little to do with Civil War itself and took place long after the events of the original story. Which is not to say it's bad; it's not. It's probably one of the best Secret War minis.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Endless Mike posted:

This might be true for Civil War, but everyone here hates IDC because it's a really bad murder mystery with a solution that not only can't be figured out within the story but makes even less sense once you know who did it.

Plus the whole "we need a rape!" thing.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Endless Mike posted:

That's not fair, our suspect list was pretty much down to "Ray Palmer or Jean Loring" before IDC 7.

Of course, Ray was way the gently caress out in the lead because "Jean has no motive whatsoever, if she wanted Ray back he was hers for the asking at literally any time".

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Chaos Hippy posted:

zero understanding of how laws and human rights work in the United States,

Shall we make an itemized list of the ways in which the MU violates actual realpolitik?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

CapnAndy posted:

That's not fair, our suspect list was pretty much down to "Ray Palmer or Jean Loring" before IDC 7.

Of course, Ray was way the gently caress out in the lead because "Jean has no motive whatsoever, if she wanted Ray back he was hers for the asking at literally any time".

Plus Ray doesn't seem like the person who would carry a flamethrower for no reason......

I gave my copy of IC to a buddy of mine (mostly because I didn't want it anymore and I figure to give it to someone who might enjoy it), and he said he loved it because of the way it humanized the heroes.