Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Mister Macys posted:

Will I need a wired keyboard and mouse for when I attempt to use a USB key to install El Capitan, to a brand new, nothing on it HDD, to my Mac Mini (2012)?

Yes, I learnt that the hard way the other week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Well, poo poo.

Will I need to format my brand new HDD beforehand too, or will it do that as part of the process?

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
The Mac will format it for you.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

IuniusBrutus posted:

So I have the bug big time for an external monitor. I just got done trying a cheap Samsung 28" 4k panel, which was cringe worthy.
Do you mean the U28E590? You know, it has really grown on me at HiDPI 1080p (4K) over a single HDMI from my 2013 15" rMBP. Even though the OS mouse cursor isn't as snappy as it is on the internal display. Working on FX stuff & hi-res documents at this res makes me pleased. Video playback doesn't drop any frames.
I am in fact not cringing and having a nice time.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Mister Macys posted:

Well, poo poo.

Will I need to format my brand new HDD beforehand too, or will it do that as part of the process?

It'll (El Capitan) install a lot faster and run better on a SSD, though.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The el cap install is relatively tiny and is super quick.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Do you guys use FanControl while playing games on your laptop? I'm a little worried about the heat, and I've already bought a cooling pad (which lowered the average temperatures to the mid/low 80s°C), but now I am wondering whether or not I should crank up the fans, too. I am playing stuff like Pillars of Eternity on a base model 15" rMBP (mid-2014) with integrated graphics. Is there a downside (other than the noise) to simply setting the minimum speed of the fans to something like 4500rpm while playing games?

Jack's Flow fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jan 4, 2016

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

When I use Lightroom my fans spin up to maximum and I don't give a poo poo. You shouldn't give a poo poo either, all modern processors downclock themselves to prevent thermal overload.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Jack's Flow posted:

Do you guys use FanControl while playing games on your laptop?
Forgive me if this isn't still the case– If you're boot camping to Windows (and if you want high frame rates, you should), fan control isn't as nuanced a thing and you should crank it on up to 75-80% of maximum in order for frame rate not to drop after the first 30 seconds or so.
And then turn it back down when you're done. You could have two shortcuts with the necessary parameters included.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Alright, I'll stop worrying about some light gaming melting the intestines of my laptop. I've never played games on my Macbook before, and rarely ever heard the fans at all, that's why I was worried. Thanks guys.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Which of the MacBook Pros had SSD issues because of the motherboards? I know the NVIDIA ones did (aluminum MacBook, 2009 MBP) but what about the 2012 13" MBP?

I have a 480GB Mushkin Chronos (Sandisk SF2281) sitting around that I'm not using and plan to put in there.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Curious, is anyone sporting the 11" MacBook Air? How is it?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Bob Morales posted:

Which of the MacBook Pros had SSD issues because of the motherboards? I know the NVIDIA ones did (aluminum MacBook, 2009 MBP) but what about the 2012 13" MBP?

Anecdotal but I got an SSD for my 2012 13" MBP and it didn't work at all. Waiting to hear back from Crucial. This was within the last 2 weeks.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

Tab8715 posted:

I have it and I love it. I wish the display was sharper and higher-resolution but that's literally my only complaint. I've owned it for over a year and battery life is still insane, it's fast as hell in day-to-day usage and I've actually been surprised at how many games I've been able to play on it, even if I do have to turn some of them down to medium or low settings. Also, it makes almost all other laptops seem huge and unwieldy by comparison.

Mandals
Aug 31, 2004

Isn't it pretty to think so.

The rear end Stooge posted:

I have it and I love it. I wish the display was sharper and higher-resolution but that's literally my only complaint. I've owned it for over a year and battery life is still insane, it's fast as hell in day-to-day usage and I've actually been surprised at how many games I've been able to play on it, even if I do have to turn some of them down to medium or low settings. Also, it makes almost all other laptops seem huge and unwieldy by comparison.

I have one as well, and have zero complaints other than the aforementioned screen resolution (and even that isn't that big of a deal). It's just a great, little machine that makes all other laptops feel heavy in comparison. I don't game on it, but I can run Ableton (audio software) and even apps like Pixelmator just fine.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Tab8715 posted:

I've bounced between the 13" and 11" models a few times. It's so cute and tiny and portable.

If you get a 2013+ the battery life is good (7-8 hours). I had the previous models and they would only last 3-4 hours which isn't really enough for me.

1366x768 sucks for some tasks (programming etc). If you're okay with not having to look at things side by side or having a ton of vertical screen estate you should be okay. I like to have a terminal or two, a website plus a Chrome Inspector/Firefox web console open, and maybe a PDF open as well.

If you're good with virtual desktops or using stuff like screen for terminals you should be okay. Also didn't work very well for graphics editing. If you have a big external monitor at home or the office you might be okay as well.

If they could cram in a 1600x900 panel (or even a 1440x1900) and lose the bezel (like the XPS 13) it would be perfect

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Tab8715 posted:

I really like mine, but the display is terrible.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling
I wouldn't say it's terrible, just sub-optimal. Despite the low resolution, it's far better in terms of brightness, color reproduction, and viewing angles than most laptop displays of a similar size.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I'm in this really weird spot right now with the laptops. I love the idea of the MacBook, but 1 USBC port is a huge turnoff for me, at the same time I really want retina but I don't want a MBP.

Horsepower wise, the MacBook is probably fine for me, as it would just be a general use machine with VPN/RemoteDesktop/Terminal work stuff. The 8 gigs/256gb option would also suit me fine since I use spotify and have a desktop at home. It would mainly be a couch/travel laptop.

The 480p cam also kind of sucks.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Anyone have real world experience with OWC's Aura 6 SSDs for 2012-2013 rMBPs? My 512GB factory drive is saturated with assets I actually use (3D video projects) and I'm thinking of uprading to the 1.0TB Envoy + USB 3 enclosure, but it does not seem faster. They claim ~550MB/sec read, but I've seen up to 770MB/sec on the built-in drive. I don't want to take a 30% speed hit at the cost of expandability. I scrub a lot of hi-res video two streams at a time.

But... the 2015 rMBP gets 2000MB/sec, so... I guess I'll just sit tight for a potential March refresh.

I doubt the resale value of Early 2013 rMBP 15" is that high. Maybe a g?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

kuskus posted:

Anyone have real world experience with OWC's Aura 6 SSDs for 2012-2013 rMBPs? My 512GB factory drive is saturated with assets I actually use (3D video projects) and I'm thinking of uprading to the 1.0TB Envoy + USB 3 enclosure, but it does not seem faster. They claim ~550MB/sec read, but I've seen up to 770MB/sec on the built-in drive. I don't want to take a 30% speed hit at the cost of expandability. I scrub a lot of hi-res video two streams at a time.

But... the 2015 rMBP gets 2000MB/sec, so... I guess I'll just sit tight for a potential March refresh.

I doubt the resale value of Early 2013 rMBP 15" is that high. Maybe a g?

OWC's Air SSD's were unreliable.

Your other option is to get the adapter for $18

http://www.amazon.com/SATA-mSATA-MACBOOK-Retina-Adapter/dp/B00OQG630U

And then spend $345 on a 1TB mSATA Samsung EVO 850

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00TGIVRYU/ref=twister_B00U2G8PUO?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

(or whatever SSD is cool right now and on sale)

The 2012 and early 2013 Retinas are the only ones you can do this with, though. Another option is the 768GB (biggest they made) OEM drive, find them on eBay for $440 or so.

Edit: I just saw your note about the speed hit. The 2012 and early 2013 are SATA so you're not going to get the > 600MBs speeds. Are you sure you don't have a late-2013 with the PCIe storage? There are no aftermarket upgrades that I am aware of.

Bob Morales fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jan 4, 2016

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

LmaoTheKid posted:

I'm in this really weird spot right now with the laptops. I love the idea of the MacBook, but 1 USBC port is a huge turnoff for me, at the same time I really want retina but I don't want a MBP.

The current showstopper is that there is no existing USB-C hub on the market that will support charging the laptop while connected. IMHO if they had just left the charge port separate it'd be a good machine. There are two possible charging hub solutions set to appear this month, one has an HDMI out, the other an MDP out. Even so, leaving the headache of port management to third parties seems like such a cop-out.

quote:

Probably best they could do to fit in such a small space.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Binary Badger posted:

The current showstopper is that there is no existing USB-C hub on the market that will support charging the laptop while connected. IMHO if they had just left the charge port separate it'd be a good machine. There are two possible charging hub solutions set to appear this month, one has an HDMI out, the other an MDP out. Even so, leaving the headache of port management to third parties seems like such a cop-out.

Yeah, I'm really not crazy about it not having magsafe. I get that the battery life is so good that you shouldn't really need it but cmon guys.

I just want to replace my 2011 MBA with a retina machine with the same formfactor. I guess I'll wait to see what Skylake brings.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I wouldn't buy the current MacBook solely based on the fact that it's a Gen 1 Apple device.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Bob Morales posted:

I wouldn't buy the current MacBook solely based on the fact that it's a Gen 1 Apple device.

Yeah, there's that too.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

From what I've heard, this year's CES (which is this week) is when all the USB-C stuff is going to be announced. Most importantly new chipsets which all the cheap manufacturers can then build a product around.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

The 2012 and early 2013 are SATA so you're not going to get the > 600MBs speeds. Are you sure you don't have a late-2013 with the PCIe storage? There are no aftermarket upgrades that I am aware of.
I must be sorely mistaken about my read speed then. On the upside, ~$365 is way better than $529 to get 1TB in my rMBP, so thank you for the links!

I Am Crake
Mar 31, 2010

There is so much beautiful in the world if you look around. You are only looking at the dirt under your feet, Jimmy. It's not good for you.
Now that I've decided to get the 256GB 13" mbp when the new one comes out (hopefully April or so), is it wise to get the 16GB RAM version?

I won't need it as the heaviest things I will use it for is some simple editing in Adobe Premiere once in a while, some Photoshopping and maybe some gaming. What I'm afraid of is 8GB as a standard is running out of style and 3 years from now will be a major limitation or at least a reason for people willing to pay a lot less second hand.

The price difference is 200 euros. Do you guys think that investment will mean a meaningful increase in lifespan and resale value? I'm most concerned about lifespan as this laptop is going to be a big investment for me and I hope to make it last.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

The answer for any modern MB that you plan on using for more than a couple of years is always "max out the RAM." All it takes is a major OS revision a few years down the road for your perfectly reasonable amount of RAM today to seem like a major hinderance.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Bob Morales posted:

I have a 480GB Mushkin Chronos (Sandisk SF2281) sitting around that I'm not using and plan to put in there.

For what it's worth, it looks like Apple offered a full range of SSD options on the 2012 13".

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

smackfu posted:

From what I've heard, this year's CES (which is this week) is when all the USB-C stuff is going to be announced. Most importantly new chipsets which all the cheap manufacturers can then build a product around.
Just came to mention that. Don't have links handy right now but off the top of my head so far both Acer and Lenovo announced USB-C displays today. Semi related, Acer also announced a laptop and tablet PC with TB3.

Oh and magnetic USB-C cable (like MagSafe):
https://griffintechnology.com/us/device/laptops/breaksafe-magnetic-usb-type-c-cable

japtor fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jan 4, 2016

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

BobHoward posted:

For what it's worth, it looks like Apple offered a full range of SSD options on the 2012 13".

Yea, I think they offered Toshiba and Samsungs as OEM drives. But there was an issue with at the very least Sandforce drives and some of the earlier MacBooks. I know I had the issue on an aluminum MacBook with a OCZ Sandforce (Agility 2, bleh) drive. It came with a utility to force SATA 2.0 (auto-detect didn't work) and sleep mode was wonky.

OWC supposedly had special firmware but I wasn't sure if the problem extended to the 2011 or 2012's with the Intel chipset. Back when I had my 2010 13" Pro I had an Intel XM-25 (lol 80GB) and then an Intel 320 (160GB) but I didn't have any issues with those.

I Am Crake
Mar 31, 2010

There is so much beautiful in the world if you look around. You are only looking at the dirt under your feet, Jimmy. It's not good for you.

Cyrano4747 posted:

The answer for any modern MB that you plan on using for more than a couple of years is always "max out the RAM." All it takes is a major OS revision a few years down the road for your perfectly reasonable amount of RAM today to seem like a major hinderance.

Thank you. This is exactly what I was worrying about, but I have no experience with macs and if I hadn't known this I would've felt silly spending so much money for what feels like an upgrade I don't need.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I Am Crake posted:

Now that I've decided to get the 256GB 13" mbp when the new one comes out (hopefully April or so), is it wise to get the 16GB RAM version?

I won't need it as the heaviest things I will use it for is some simple editing in Adobe Premiere once in a while, some Photoshopping and maybe some gaming. What I'm afraid of is 8GB as a standard is running out of style and 3 years from now will be a major limitation or at least a reason for people willing to pay a lot less second hand.

The price difference is 200 euros. Do you guys think that investment will mean a meaningful increase in lifespan and resale value? I'm most concerned about lifespan as this laptop is going to be a big investment for me and I hope to make it last.

Yes, definitely. I went with 8GB and started wishing I had more RAM to spare once I started using virtual machines. Premiere and Photoshop are guaranteed memory hogs as well. Are you sure it's a 200 euro difference? When I was buying, I think the jump from 8GB to 16GB was only like $80 USD.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

LmaoTheKid posted:

Horsepower wise, the MacBook is probably fine for me, as it would just be a general use machine with VPN/RemoteDesktop/Terminal work stuff. The 8 gigs/256gb option would also suit me fine since I use spotify and have a desktop at home. It would mainly be a couch/travel laptop.

Just get a 13" rMBP. It's honestly not that far off from the Air in terms of dimensions (it's actually smaller in the horizontal length/width departments and as thick as the Air's thickest point, minus the wedge taper that shaves weight) and it's only a little bit heavier.

It's no retina MacBook or iPad but it's a much smaller computer than one would think given the way ports have been getting axed in favor of portability.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Just get a 13" rMBP. It's honestly not that far off from the Air in terms of dimensions (it's actually smaller in the horizontal length/width departments and as thick as the Air's thickest point, minus the wedge taper that shaves weight) and it's only a little bit heavier.

It's no retina MacBook or iPad but it's a much smaller computer than one would think given the way ports have been getting axed in favor of portability.

I'm beginning to lean this way. I just took my MBA in for battery service because my wife wants it when I upgrade.

The haptic touchpad is really nice as is the screen. At this point I might as well wait for skylake.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

Yea, I think they offered Toshiba and Samsungs as OEM drives.

SanDisk as well.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Binary Badger posted:

SanDisk as well.

Not until the Airs and Retinas. The only 2.5" SSD's I've seen as OEM in an MBP were the Toshiba (JMICRON? Not sure) (silver) or Samsung 830 (black) drives.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I had my HDD replaced under the 3TB recall. The system has been slow since I got it back.

HDD they replaced it with is having issues already, fuckin sweet. Guess I'll throw this thing up for sale because I'll be hosed if I'm cutting the screen off and replacing the HDD out of pocket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smax
Nov 9, 2009

BlackMK4 posted:

I had my HDD replaced under the 3TB recall. The system has been slow since I got it back.

HDD they replaced it with is having issues already, fuckin sweet. Guess I'll throw this thing up for sale because I'll be hosed if I'm cutting the screen off and replacing the HDD out of pocket.

I'd imagine they would replace the drive again for you. Have you asked?