Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
Post-trip gear talk - Just did about 3 weeks in SE Asia, but also had to accommodate early mornings in Delhi and a day in Frankfurt (near freezing conditions)

• Porter 46 backpack - Weighed in just under 15 lbs, got a little heavy on some days. Will try to pack fewer things.
  • Camelbak All Clear - This is my one real luxury item in terms of utility and weight. I still love it and use it everywhere. The general issue is that I never know what illnesses it's preventing, but I will choose to believe it's working and keeping me healthy.
  • Wool t-shirts - I alternated hostel/hotel/hostel/hotel, so my wool shirts were far easier to wash this trip. I would never need more than 2. Used shampoo to wash them. It's just hair, after all.
  • Icebreaker polo shirt - Dressy without being too dressy or high maintenance. I looked sharp on the nights I wanted to and did not smell. Super happy with it.
  • Zip-off leg pants - These pants are much maligned here, but I really liked my TNF Paramount Peak II pants. The cargo pockets don't billow out unless carrying something, so they have a normal pants silhouette. They were very durable and saved me from packing more shorts than necessary. Plus, they have the zippered pocket for wallet/passport which I feel is a travel necessity.
  • Hurley dri-fit chino shorts - These are exactly what I wanted. They read as normal twill shorts but wick and dry quickly. One warning - if you ever spill any oil or grease (like from food) on these, that spot will not come out in the wash. They also made a hybrid swim trunk/chino short if you really want to save space/weight. These also have a (much smaller) zippered travel pocket.
  • Lululemon ABC pants - Super nice and sharp-looking when paired with the wool polo, but were far too warm for SE Asia in winter even at night. I abandoned these by like 8 AM at Angkor Wat for a pair of the giant MC Hammer pants that the shops all sell. One drawback is, like wool shirts, these pants need to be washed and dried a specific way which I would never trust someone else to do. So, they're a pain-in-the-rear end that way.
  • Footwear - I brought a pair of beater sneakers since they'd get destroyed in India. I think what I want is a black pair of Nike Flyknit for the future (in non-filthy cities) since those can compress down a bit in my bag. Desert boots remain the perfect general travel shoe for me. Generic shoe-bag off Amazon was just fine and fit perfectly at the bottom of my bag.
  • Long-sleeve soccer jersey - This is my favorite shirt to travel in, and it sparks a lot of conversation/camaraderie. If you like football, I highly recommend one.
  • Sony RX-100 - I spent the last month learning the basics of manual photography. Taking photos with this camera was so much more enjoyable than taking pics with old, cheap digital cameras I had. It was compact enough that I took it to most sites, but still relied on my phone for evening revelry. I relied too much on the "level" feature in the display as some things would come out slanted since the ground itself was uneven. This is the budget model, since the 100 II has a much bigger light sensor, but for an amateur like me it was more than enough.

One thing I didn't account for was how cheap laundry was, even with a hostel middle-man. I could've easily brought fewer shirts and undies/socks due to that. Something to note for the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I've always done coin op laundry at the hostel, works amazing. The only two places I couldn't find coin op laundry (anywhere in the city!) was Rome and Prauge. Rome's laundry service was at least affordable. The lady at the front desk in Prauge looked at me crazy when I told her I wanted to do coin op, since laundry service in Prauge is so expensive (€17 for 1 load washed and dried), "we don't have Australian style laundromats here," is basically all she said. I burnt up probably 3 hours trying to find affordable laundry services in that stupid city.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
Laundy option - http://thescrubba.com/

I carry one on my bike, and it seems to work well enough.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I just use the hotel sink/tub if I can't find a laundromat.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Blinkman987 posted:

Post-trip gear talk - Just did about 3 weeks in SE Asia, but also had to accommodate early mornings in Delhi and a day in Frankfurt (near freezing conditions)

[list]
[*]Zip-off leg pants - These pants are much maligned here, but I really liked my TNF Paramount Peak II pants. The cargo pockets don't billow out unless carrying something, so they have a normal pants silhouette. They were very durable and saved me from packing more shorts than necessary. Plus, they have the zippered pocket for wallet/passport which I feel is a travel necessity.

I just finished a four month tour through Latin America, which went from near-freezing Buenos Aires, to very-cold Uyuni to hot-and-humid-as-poo poo Cartagena and the TNF Paramount Peak II pants were probably the best thing I had on the entire trip. I had a pair of jeans that I wore for the first half of the trip too (and abandoned in costal Colombia) but the TNF pants were great for the zippered pocket and comfortable fit every time I needed to travel with my passport. Because, gently caress money belts. The pants-into-shorts thing was great too.

Yeah they don't look super sharp, but you're backpacking, not going to a Hermès grand opening.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I ended up washing my clothes in the sink in Prauge, and then it rained for two days, so everything stayed damp and got mildewy. It sucked. I (re)did laundry in Nuremberg the next day like a civilized human being.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Saladman posted:

I just finished a four month tour through Latin America, which went from near-freezing Buenos Aires, to very-cold Uyuni to hot-and-humid-as-poo poo Cartagena and the TNF Paramount Peak II pants were probably the best thing I had on the entire trip. I had a pair of jeans that I wore for the first half of the trip too (and abandoned in costal Colombia) but the TNF pants were great for the zippered pocket and comfortable fit every time I needed to travel with my passport. Because, gently caress money belts. The pants-into-shorts thing was great too.

Yeah they don't look super sharp, but you're backpacking, not going to a Hermès grand opening.

People often say "I don't want to look like a tourist." My response mentally always is "well, outside of Europe-- are you white and/or over 5'7"? Yes? Then you look like a tourist."

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Blinkman987 posted:

People often say "I don't want to look like a tourist." My response mentally always is "well, outside of Europe-- are you white and/or over 5'7"? Yes? Then you look like a tourist."

There's more to it than that. What they mean is 'I don't want to look like a dumb rear end tourist with a flashing neon sign saying "I'm a piece of poo poo and won't try to learn the language and don't respect your culture and could you rob me please?".

Everyone who travels has this sign above their heads whether they want it or not but you can dim it down a bunch by dressing more like the locals and not wearing shorts everywhere (unless it's hot af because you have the draw a line somewhere) and trying not to be a tool.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Blinkman987 posted:

It's the idea of blending in a little more, because as you said being 6'4", white and riding a bicycle, I'm going to stand out in a few weeks when I'm riding around Tunisia and Algeria. Whether that is from not wearing a bright yellow cycling jersey while I ride, or learning some Arabic to communicate, it's something to not look like that idea of a tourist that people have, and hate.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

To me it's always been more of "I don't want to look like one of those tourists." I remember I was super paranoid about being treated badly because I'm American the first time I went to Paris but there it's easy because anywhere you go there's a fat family in american flag t-shirts yelling about something that makes you look better by comparison. I didn't really know any French but most people I met were patient and nice because I wasn't acting like a jerk.

qirex fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jan 4, 2016

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Outrail posted:

trying not to be a tool

#1 pro tip right here.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Sure, I get that mentality. I just think it's taken a little too far in terms of what someone is specifically wearing and how much that actually affects anything. It's far more about the attitude that one projects when interacting with the locals.

Also, with the Chinese hacking phlegm and shouting in casual conversation around the world, I think many people forgot about the "ugly American" tourist or at least that archetype is further down the list of tourists to hate. Heck, the only time I ever saw someone complain about Americans in my presence, I was in Prague and endcapped their rant with "those were Australians."

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Blinkman987 posted:

Sure, I get that mentality. I just think it's taken a little too far in terms of what someone is specifically wearing and how much that actually affects anything. It's far more about the attitude that one projects when interacting with the locals.

Also, with the Chinese hacking phlegm and shouting in casual conversation around the world, I think many people forgot about the "ugly American" tourist or at least that archetype is further down the list of tourists to hate. Heck, the only time I ever saw someone complain about Americans in my presence, I was in Prague and endcapped their rant with "those were Australians."

Have Higher standards please!

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

caberham posted:

Have Higher standards please!

Yeah, last time I applied for a travel visa, I showed up and the attendant told me "sorry, I see that these muted flaps of cloth are clearly hiding zippers and you have a North Face fleece jacket. Therefore we have denied your visa because everyone will hate you." Next time, I'll have to wear a suit in order to uphold the social contract.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Blinkman987 posted:

To amplify the "don't be a tewl" from above, one thing that has consistently disappointed me about my travel companions is how they interact with locals. Probably my biggest frustration is when they start poo poo talking the place (food, prices, temperature, whatever) before we've even left. At least wait till we get outside!

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Midjack posted:

To amplify the "don't be a tewl" from above, one thing that has consistently disappointed me about my travel companions is how they interact with locals. Probably my biggest frustration is when they start poo poo talking the place (food, prices, temperature, whatever) before we've even left. At least wait till we get outside!

I agree. For me, the craziest part is that the people who do this the most are the super liberal San Francisco caricature people. I've met "this guy" a few times in my travels, including my last trip. He sits at the bar and talks to the locals about how they're victims and how hard living in that country must be. He mentions the pollution, the wealth divide, classism, government corruption, and poverty. What he's trying to do is show that he's a sympathetic and wise soul in tune with the "real" city, not just the posh hotels and tourist traps. What he's actually doing is telling them what a dump their country is and how much their lives suck. He definitely does not take the cue when the locals aren't engaging him on the subject OR he tries to drag other travelers into the conversation with him.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
Most Americans can blend in pretty well in Latin America also.

I think there's value to looking like you're a local or at least like a local tourist, even if the illusion is ruined the second you open your mouth.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

I think there's value to looking like you're a local or at least like a local tourist, even if the illusion is ruined the second you open your mouth.

Apparently I was getting good at this by the end of my month in Spain. I had people, both Spanish people from a different city, as well as other foreigners, ask me for directions or advice. I must look like I know what I'm doing (and, to be fair, I was able to help them most of the time, since I'd been there for quite a while).

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I'm in the market for a carry-on travel backpack around the 35L - 45L range. I'm going to be traveling in Asia for about 2 weeks and will be moving to Europe later this year so I want something that is durable and designed well. I really like the design of the Pacsafe Venturesafe 45L - http://www.pacsafe.com/venturesafe-45l-gii-travel-backpack.html

I like how the backpack is not too flashy, has nice security features, and how it opens up like a clam to be able to put my stuff in. I'm ready to go ahead and purchase that unless you guys have any other recommendations. I found this backpack called the Minaal Carry-on but it's only 35L and not only is it more expensive, it doesn't ship until May 2016 - http://www.minaal.com/collections/your-future-gear/products/carry-on-2-0-bag

This Tortuga backpack seems pretty cool too actually - http://www.tortugabackpacks.com/collections/travel-backpacks/products/tortuga-travel-backpack

edit: Purchased the Pacsafe Ventursafe for $175 with free shipping / no tax!

Busy Bee fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Feb 18, 2016

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

quote:

Bag slashers often like to target outside fabric panels of bags (front, bottom or side), which cause valuables to fall out and into the palm of their hands. Our lightweight slashguards are built into (and concealed in)the most commonly vulnerable areas of the bag, protecting your gear from a quick slash-and-run theft.
Lol the idea of a thief slashing my bag and my "valuables" falling into the palms of this ninja's hands like candy from a pinata cracks me up. Are there guys with knives going around train stations and covertly slashing your bag just enough so that your Macbook Pro slips out unnoticed?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Easychair Bootson posted:

Lol the idea of a thief slashing my bag and my "valuables" falling into the palms of this ninja's hands like candy from a pinata cracks me up. Are there guys with knives going around train stations and covertly slashing your bag just enough so that your Macbook Pro slips out unnoticed?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
If you need to ask around for a travel back pack. You are traveling rich enough.

Actually other hostel travelers tend to be the shiftier ones than locals

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Easychair Bootson posted:

This is not unheard of though not as common as ad copy like that would have you believe. It's more often done in places where you can't see all the sides of the bag such as when you put your bag under a seat in a bus. Regardless of whether you put it under your seat or under the seat in front of you there is one surface of the bag exposed to attack that you can't see and a razor blade makes a hole.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
It's a 'thing', but you're just as likely to get straight up mugged, or have the whole bag stolen, or get scammed by some stupid trick you never saw coming.

Situational awareness and not looking like a mark is way more valuable.

Wearing a bag that says 'pacsafe' screams out to me 'Ive got a bunch of expensive poo poo, whose wants some?'.

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schizophrenic and so am I
I never understood why they put all these safety features into the bag, and one of the colors is bright blue and green.

Edit: I'm doing a 4-6 month trip of europe/southeast asia starting in July, thinking about getting this as my pack:

http://www.ospreypacks.com/us/en/product/farpoint-40-FARPNT40.html

Anyone used one of these before? I'm bringing summerish clothes when I first fly over there (starting in Europe), and figured I'd just buy warmer clothes as it got colder.

ddiddles fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Feb 22, 2016

I LIKE COOKIE
Dec 12, 2010

That looks like a good bag. I'm backpacking around Southeast Asia as we speak with a 32L backpack and having a smaller bag is definitely the way to go. Being able to carry-on on flights owns (and saves me money). I see other travelers with these huge 65L bags and they just seem so miserable when it comes time to walk anywhere with their backpacks in the scorching SE Asian heat. I bet they don't even use half the poo poo they're carrying around.

When backpacking you'll find yourself taking a lot of cheap $20 bus rides from city to city. A lot of busses here are really sketchy and it's common for baggage ninjas to hide out in the luggage compartment and rifle through everyone's poo poo and steal all kinds of valuable stuff. Being able to put my 32L on the ground by my feet instead of in the bus' luggage compartment is worth it for the peace of mind alone.

Unless you happen to be a female and need to pack a ton or curling irons and makeup or whatever there's no reason to have anything bigger than 45L imo

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Unless you plan on camping and poo poo. I had a 65L pack and fully half of it is cold weather gear/tents/stove etc.

I LIKE COOKIE
Dec 12, 2010

That's very true I did not consider that. When I do Europe I plan on camping and cooking for myself as much as possible to save money.

That'll be a whole different trip for me though and I will definitely have to get a bigger backpack to fit a mess kit and sleeping gear.

It all depends what your objective and budget is when it comes to accommodation and cooking. I saw this one dude at my hostel in Cambodia who had been traveling for 6 months and had the biggest backpack I've ever seen in my life. Probably over 200L. Apparently he had a full size 4 man tent, cooking gear, sleeping bag+pad, the works. He sheepishly admitted he hadn't even camped once yet on his trip. But that he still wanted to lug it around "in case he gets lost or stranded" lol

I am by no means the perfect packer either, though. 5 months in and I still carry a bunch of things I've never even touched; A frisbee, zip ties, electrical plug converter, 'Tide to-go stain remover pen', shoelaces and other bits of string, and 2 spare sets of headphones. Also I have a shirt or two that I only wear if I have no other clean clothes. Maybe it's time for me to throw out a few things.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
At some point you're carrying too much, at another point you've ridden the ultralight train to the point you've only got one pair of underwear and your toothbrush doubles as a fork.

Yeah it's all about what you're doing, but a 4 man tent wtf.

What I do every few weeks/months is empty the bag out on a bed or whatever and go though everything. At the end you'll have about a kilo of dumb poo poo you've been carrying that you just don't need you can toss out. And then you promise yourself you won't pick up more dumb poo poo. Then three months later you throw out another two kilos of dumb poo poo.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

I have the Porter 46L (maximum carry-on size) and the small regional jets can't accommodate it in the overhead space. A smaller version like the one you linked would be better if you were jumping around SE Asia, for example.

I've never tried the Farpoint, but either the hipbelt is flimsy and not bearing much weight or it's too thick. I would be skeptical of the stowaway feature for it until I saw it in person. At 40L anyway, it's not like you're really packing it that heavy anyway.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Ryanair has a carry on size limit of 55cm x 40cm x 20cm

Make sure you can plausibly stuff whatever bag you buy in to that space, even if it means putting on an extra two tshirts and a sweater at the gate to make it fit. Checking luggage is for suckers, and so is waiting in the luggage pickup area at the airport.

I bought the first gen version of the REI Vagabond 40 and holy poo poo, what an amazing piece of kit. Mine has been to 20+ countries over 7 years and still looks brand new. Looks like they're discontinuing it, I'm tempted to buy another one as I think I might die if I had to look for a replacement for mine.

They changed the aesthetics a little bit since 2009, made it look more "luggage"-y, but I promise you, that thing will happily go rock climbing, across the pervian andes, sailing across the gulf of mexico, fishing in the philippines and everywhere in between.

http://www.rei.com/product/896256/rei-vagabond-tour-40-travel-pack

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Hadlock posted:

Make sure you can plausibly stuff whatever bag you buy in to that space, even if it means putting on an extra two tshirts and a sweater at the gate to make it fit. Checking luggage is for suckers, and so is waiting in the luggage pickup area at the airport.

Now that's a bit extreme. A lot of people just go from airport to hotel by taxi and checked luggage is a lot more comfortable than lugging everything across your back. And you can't hand carry booze or liquids easily.

Real suckers fly Ryanair and other LCC jokester airlines :downsrim:

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schizophrenic and so am I

Hadlock posted:

I bought the first gen version of the REI Vagabond 40 and holy poo poo, what an amazing piece of kit. Mine has been to 20+ countries over 7 years and still looks brand new. Looks like they're discontinuing it, I'm tempted to buy another one as I think I might die if I had to look for a replacement for mine.

They changed the aesthetics a little bit since 2009, made it look more "luggage"-y, but I promise you, that thing will happily go rock climbing, across the pervian andes, sailing across the gulf of mexico, fishing in the philippines and everywhere in between.

http://www.rei.com/product/896256/rei-vagabond-tour-40-travel-pack

Thats an awesome looking bag, but it looks like its 1.5-2 inches above most european carry on sizes, did you ever run into trouble with flights?

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

caberham posted:

Now that's a bit extreme. A lot of people just go from airport to hotel by taxi and checked luggage is a lot more comfortable than lugging everything across your back. And you can't hand carry booze or liquids easily.

Real suckers fly Ryanair and other LCC jokester airlines :downsrim:

Checking bags is for fat family tourists!!!! >(

EasyJet is fine imo, but yeah I'm kinda a cheapskate/dealseeker and I wouldn't even fly RyanJet.

The hardest part about not checking bags is losing the extra shoes. I never feel like I have all the shoes I want on a trip.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

That's the maximum "inflated" size, I just measured mine with tape measure, and converted to cm

22 x 12 x 7"

55 x 30 x 17 cm

With Ryan Air they allow you one personal carry on in addition to the overhead, so it's best to transfer any large hard objects you have to the personal bag (for me this was my laptop and shoes) to leave more room to put the squishy clothes. Also are you rolling your clothes? Always roll your clothes, they compress about 30% better that way.

The only time I've ever had complaints about my bag was flying in to Morcco, and that's because they explicitly only allow ONE carry on of any kind, so I had to wear a bunch of clothes to make room for my day pack. Nobody's ever said a word about the size of the bag. In my experience if you look a little rough and foreign and you're obviously hauling a backpacker's travel bag, the flight crew tends to look the other way.

In the rare situation where they announce that carry on space is limited, I always make a note to go to the flight desk and let them know, gosh miss, I really like flying with your airline, the planes are the cleanest I've ever seen (flattery goes far, lay it on thick) I'm traveling internationally, this is my only bag and I have a connecting flight with (insert budget carrier here) at the next airport to (insert tiny country here that only has a couple flights a week).

Miraculously, they've always done the carry on baggage cut-off one or two people after me in line, and never before me. Flight crews are pretty awesome and know what you're up to, if you're friendly and polite about it. You have to be pretty heartless to deprive a backpacker of their backpack, even if your company is run by a cut throat rear end in a top hat.

edit: i've flown delta, ryanair, easy jet and KLM with this bag in europe

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Feb 23, 2016

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Blinkman987 posted:

Checking bags is for fat family tourists!!!! >(

Or people with jobs who need to go on business trips?

quote:

EasyJet is fine imo, but yeah I'm kinda a cheapskate/dealseeker and I wouldn't even fly RyanJet.

The hardest part about not checking bags is losing the extra shoes. I never feel like I have all the shoes I want on a trip.

Only time I got flack for carrying a big carry on is in Singapore with Jetstar. Instead of paying half the airfare for check in fees, I just took my bag to the bathroom. I put on my wind breaker and stuffed everything inside my jacket looking like a michelin man. It worked, security looked at me funny and I explained myself as flying easyjet.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

caberham posted:

Or people with jobs who need to go on business trips?

True, but carry on is often still doable; see, e.g., the TB Tri-Star, with room for 5 days plus notebook:
http://www.tombihn.com/travel_bags/TB0940.html

[eta: For some reason the worst possible color scheme comes up on the product detail page, but note it's available in basic black and other non-ridiculous colors.]

Red Dad Redemption fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Feb 23, 2016

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

In my experience as somebody who doesn't go on business trips, people who do go on business trips tend to have nothing but a rollable carry on suitcase and a laptop bag and arrive 5 minutes before boarding.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Rollaboards suck because the frame, handle, and wheels all take up space. Also, I can't speak for anything else, but carrying a carrymax-sized backpack is way easier than being hunched over to one side dragging a rolling suitcase. But then again, I am quite tall...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
As someone who goes on business trips, most people's preferences is a rolling carry-on suitcase + a laptop bag. The extra space taken up by the wheels and handles isn't that big of a deal as worst case, it'll get gate-checked anyway. You also don't really have to care about the general clunkiness of it compared to a backpack since taxis are expensed or you get a rental car. Carry-on only is super convenient so you don't have to deal with checking in luggage and can arrive pretty late (as already mentioned)

I'd only check in luggage if it's a longer trip and I don't want to deal with doing laundry. Plus you'd have to pack a couple of shirts, slacks and probably an extra pair of shoes. If you haven't been to the city before, it's also nice to actually have somewhere to store lovely souvenirs.

As for backpacking Asia, I mostly just do carry-on only as well with a 40L backpack + a daypack. Mostly to avoid luggage fees when using domestic airlines that doubles the fare. That money is better spent on food, nicer hostels and other "I might as well pay and try this since I'm here" poo poo.

• Locked thread