Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
So comments from this month on Steam workshop say that Fishbus's garbage related buildings no longer work? I was going to sub to them but since they are apparently breaking other garbage buildings until uninstalled, I guess I shouldn't? Anyone else have them installed and can confirm they still work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

I have his recycling center installed and no other garbage mods and it seems to work fine?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ToastyPotato posted:

So comments from this month on Steam workshop say that Fishbus's garbage related buildings no longer work? I was going to sub to them but since they are apparently breaking other garbage buildings until uninstalled, I guess I shouldn't? Anyone else have them installed and can confirm they still work?

They seem to be working fine for me... Just loaded up my city a couple days ago and played for a few hours with no issues and I've got several of those buildings.

I guess I wouldn't have really noticed if they were breaking other buildings if I wasn't looking for it? My traffic is fine though and garbage is getting hauled out just fine and I have several different garbage buildings from Fishbus and other modders.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Vahakyla posted:

I get that hearses are a measurement of your resources and traffic planning. But having them be postal service would've been more immersive.

Please can anybody mod this.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
This is quite cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=My7A75iWw2s

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

i'm hype

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

kemikalkadet posted:

reposting my attempt at farmland:

You can make pretty convincing farmland it just takes a lot of effort and a lot of clicking hedgerows. It would be nice if the farming itself was simulated: sowing and harvesting etc, but the traffic and goods generated from a setup like mine works well enough.

That's a really good effort. Still I wish you could place things further from roads, plop things and decorate the terrain in the way you could in SC4. The way they added freeform roads compared to SC4, but then decided to force you to build everything next to a road (or at least, anything functional) is just weird. And the roads are still too wide and American looking.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I don't understand why we can't just draw farms like that. Click some points and make a big polygon of farm-field texture lined with trees and bushes. Basically get the effect everyone laboriously puts into making nice looking farms, but in a few clicks and actually functional. Just use the cities XL farming system but nicer looking.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
It's kinda hard to make the rural village/town associated with the farms too... There's some mods for some service buildings to make them more rural and whatnot but eh.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

You can make perfectly fine villages.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Dec 29, 2015

Eskaton
Aug 13, 2014
The scale of your farms make me happy.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

Baronjutter posted:

That first picture really looks like a village I used to live in.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Dang I gotta get my rural game together then... I try but it always ends up looking like a US suburb more than a nice little European village.

On the other hand I have like 110k population and basically no traffic issues hooray! Not even using a fancy traffic mod. However my trains are starting to make my poorly planned out cargo rail system lock up.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

Moridin920 posted:

Dang I gotta get my rural game together then... I try but it always ends up looking like a US suburb more than a nice little European village.

On the other hand I have like 110k population and basically no traffic issues hooray! Not even using a fancy traffic mod. However my trains are starting to make my poorly planned out cargo rail system lock up.

The main thing with farmland is you need to concentrate more on the fields and woods than the roads and buildings. You need to give way more space than you think you'd need since in real life most villages are little specks in a big sea of green. It's tricky in skylines because of the effort in making fields and also the roads are scaled up in size whereas most european country roads are tiny single track.

Using google maps and emulating a small patch is a good way to go about it, remember that most european countries do farmland differently to each other:

UK:

Holland:

Northern France:

Spain:

Hungary:

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Baronjutter posted:

These look a bit more like small towns rather than villages, though. To me anyway. Not that they are bad, just that they don't quite have the right aesthetic, the main problem being that C:S doesn't give you much in terms of empty space management, and like kemilkalkadet said the roads are all town/city sized. You can't really make things look "cramped" like a village centre should look like.

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

ToastyPotato posted:

It's a comment that always comes around every so often.

Either it's one of a few things:

1) Power and water is required, and the person didn't expect it to need to be hooked up in order to do so.

2) Their garbage service is already sufficient and it simply doesn't turn 'on' until it's needed.

3) Mod fuckery. I usually run a few mods, and things seem fine, but there are some mods that create issues. It's gonna be something that people are going to have to figure out through trial and error and pass around the knowledge to each other.

That being said, I just ran my garbage assets. They are working.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Fishbus posted:

It's a comment that always comes around every so often.

Either it's one of a few things:

1) Power and water is required, and the person didn't expect it to need to be hooked up in order to do so.

2) Their garbage service is already sufficient and it simply doesn't turn 'on' until it's needed.

3) Mod fuckery. I usually run a few mods, and things seem fine, but there are some mods that create issues. It's gonna be something that people are going to have to figure out through trial and error and pass around the knowledge to each other.

That being said, I just ran my garbage assets. They are working.

Thank god. Well the buildings are freaking awesome and very much needed. Thanks for the breakdown.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Ok finally got this. Should I just go and add the top 20 "most subscribed" mods?

Also: what buildings or facilities or visual mods do people want most?

Subyng
May 4, 2013

mutata posted:

Ok finally got this. Should I just go and add the top 20 "most subscribed" mods?

Also: what buildings or facilities or visual mods do people want most?

I'd suggest starting with vanilla and once you get a feel for what kind of stuff you're missing, then start looking for mods.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah, it's not a great idea to just grab lots of mods and assets. Play the game and then add assets you need for your specific city/project/theme, get mods that address holes in the gameplay or interface issues you notice. It's really easy to make your game a bloated mess that takes forever to work or crashes.

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

Does anyone know if Level 3 Offices or Industrial give more high level education jobs?

I'm trying to build a city without freight train stations (trying to expand toward sea and not buy a parcel with rail), but it's a different type of challenge to get Industry lvl 3 without. Population hurdle becomes 25k rather than 100k - cozy.

Also, think I have a handle on submerging highways. My city is so beautiful without those ugly grey blights stretching across them.

Getting a grasp of how citizen disposable income relates to commercial activity. It's pretty rad, actually, though it forces you into being a job-creator hence the question above. In other words, looking for the cash flow to enable vanity megaprojects....

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Man Musk posted:

Does anyone know if Level 3 Offices or Industrial give more high level education jobs?

I'm trying to build a city without freight train stations (trying to expand toward sea and not buy a parcel with rail), but it's a different type of challenge to get Industry lvl 3 without. Population hurdle becomes 25k rather than 100k - cozy.

Also, think I have a handle on submerging highways. My city is so beautiful without those ugly grey blights stretching across them.

Getting a grasp of how citizen disposable income relates to commercial activity. It's pretty rad, actually, though it forces you into being a job-creator hence the question above. In other words, looking for the cash flow to enable vanity megaprojects....
Level 3 of each do employ more highly educated cims. Getting level 3 industrial without a freight station sounds like insanity though. I never actually tried to see but I have a feeling they just like being nearby one even if they don't go anywhere, so you could just try plopping them down nearby anyway, or making a local network if that sounds too gamey.

The other problem with trying to turn industry into a cash cow without a regional rail connection is that regional highway connections have startlingly low export receiving capacity.

Burns
May 10, 2008

I have a difficult time getting cims to use highways. Any good suggestions for highway placement/use?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Burns posted:

I have a difficult time getting cims to use highways. Any good suggestions for highway placement/use?
They naturally gravitate to them just because of their speed limit so I usually have the opposite problem of ending up with occasionally spurious use paths through highways.

Philosophically speaking highways should be your connection of local to regional level networks and should be used to get traffic to your regional borders, and also from disparate neighborhood to neighborhood. If you haven't read up on tier based networks yet this imgur album is real good at giving you the general idea of how roads work in game and real life.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

zedprime posted:

If you haven't read up on tier based networks yet this imgur album is real good at giving you the general idea of how roads work in game and real life.

Is that from our own Cichlidae? The writing style seems familiar.

If they're not using them make sure your highways and onramps are facing the right way, that seems to be the most common issue people run into and not notice.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Half of my city was on fire and I figured out it was because the fire department was on a one way road and it never occurred to any of them to hang a right. :v:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Fire departments seem to target fires that are closer first, not by how long something has been on fire, so if you have multiple houses on fire and only 1 fire department you'll end up with the farther away house being left to burn sometimes.

So basically do what I do and build a fuckjillion of each type of upkeep facility. A fuckjillion fire departments, a fuckjillion police stations, a fuckjillion schools of each kind, a fuckjillion crematoriums. You name it.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
You make it sound like you don't already need to do that for satisfaction to level up buildings.

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

zedprime posted:

Level 3 of each do employ more highly educated cims. Getting level 3 industrial without a freight station sounds like insanity though. I never actually tried to see but I have a feeling they just like being nearby one even if they don't go anywhere, so you could just try plopping them down nearby anyway, or making a local network if that sounds too gamey.

The other problem with trying to turn industry into a cash cow without a regional rail connection is that regional highway connections have startlingly low export receiving capacity.

Ah I might have phrased that wrong.

I'm trying to decide how much of my industrial park to rezone to office.

I try to have enough industrial where I won't have to import any Goods, but don't really understand the right balance between Industrial and Office to max jobs.

Regarding lvl 3 Industrial sans train, in past cities I've literally placed train stations and demolished right after for the level up gain, with the level up sticking. Curious to see if I can bypass that cheese!!

Man Musk fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jan 6, 2016

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Picked this up on the sale and tinkered around with a city for awhile. I got a whole section filled out nicely, but then when I tried to expand everything kinda went to poo poo and I abandoned it. My problems seemed to be traffic of course, but also I couldn't keep people coming into the city without setting the taxes really low, which ended up bankrupting me. Hot tips and tricks would be appreciated, or a link to a good tutorial. My goal is to just get one super huge mega city functioning, don't care too much about aesthetics at this point.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I want to play this game again but after months I feel like I'll need to invest hours into updating mods, learning what the new go-to mods are, getting enraged mods I previously liked haven't been updated.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
If by "hours" you mean "like 10, maybe closer to 20 minutes" then yeah it's gonna take that long.

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

voltron lion force posted:

Picked this up on the sale and tinkered around with a city for awhile. I got a whole section filled out nicely, but then when I tried to expand everything kinda went to poo poo and I abandoned it. My problems seemed to be traffic of course, but also I couldn't keep people coming into the city without setting the taxes really low, which ended up bankrupting me. Hot tips and tricks would be appreciated, or a link to a good tutorial. My goal is to just get one super huge mega city functioning, don't care too much about aesthetics at this point.

Level up your residential areas with basic services, bus routes, and policies. Higher level plots house more people, which is a nice way to spur demand if you get stuck.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Man Musk posted:

Ah I might have phrased that wrong.

I'm trying to decide how much of my industrial park to rezone to office.

I try to have enough industrial where I won't have to import any Goods, but don't really understand the right balance between Industrial and Office to max jobs.

Regarding lvl 3 Industrial sans train, in past cities I've literally placed train stations and demolished right after for the level up gain, with the level up sticking. Curious to see if I can bypass that cheese!!
In that case the right balance is whatever you think looks cool. Industrial definitely pumps better tax money, but who cares. I think industrial ends up with better job density if that's something you care about. Offices have the hidden benefit of less active agents for a given population so your city can get higher population numbers before CPU slowdown takes effect, which is usually a bigger problem than space even without the max tiles mod.

There's no gameplay benefit to having education matched to your cim demographics, besides industrial demand never going down which should already be something of a mainstay for anybody who's unlocked offices.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Baronjutter posted:

I want to play this game again but after months I feel like I'll need to invest hours into updating mods, learning what the new go-to mods are, getting enraged mods I previously liked haven't been updated.

I left it unplayed for a while for this exact reason but really not all that much has been updated or changed. I don't think there's been a major patch for a while. Some new assets in terms of buildings/parks and whatever, nothing too crazy. Some canals and sunken highway stuffs.

Also I have lots (I guess?) of industrial and now all my train lines are clogged to hell. My shops are shutting down because 'not enough goods to sell;' the goods presumably being stuck on a train. I'll take some pictures.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Jan 6, 2016

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Is traffic ++ abandoned? There seems to have not been updates, bug fixes, or any real talk from the guy for ages.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I dunno but have some screenshots:

No traffic issues really - red spots are still moving. Except for the trains. The trains are pretty gridlocked from time to time.

There's some smaller villages/towns on the outskirts and I'm not done by a long shot (downtown area needs work).

e: some more

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jan 6, 2016

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Holy poo poo that railway intersection. If only trains in real life could handle grades and curves like that. Then again trains in real life have proper signalling and don't need all that.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Man if this game had signals I'd dump another couple hundred hours in easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

Moridin920 posted:

Man if this game had signals I'd dump another couple hundred hours in easy.

Cities Skylines + OpenTTD? I think it'll be the only game I play for the next 5 years.