Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
Charlemagne hosed his kids, and also europe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Baracula posted:

Charlemagne hosed his kids, and also europe

Looks like someone bought Empress Irene an account.

Hellequin
Feb 26, 2008

You Scream! You open your TORN, ROTTED, DECOMPOSED MOUTH AND SCREAM!

Baracula posted:

He tried! The story i choose to believe because gently caress him is he slept with his study materials under his head so it'd be absorbed and he wouldn't be a dumb idiot anymore.

His biographer Einhard (who was biased towards Charlemagne, regarding him as a sort of foster father) wrote that he was an intelligent and eloquent speaker, a fluent Latin speaker and could understand Greek to some extent, and that he hired private tutors for himself, but was illiterate and attempts to learn to write and read came very late in life and were abortive:

Einhard posted:

Charles had the gift of ready and fluent speech, and could express whatever he had to say with the utmost clearness. He was not satisfied with command of his native language merely, but gave attention to the study of foreign ones, and in particular was such a master of Latin that he could speak it as well as his native tongue; but he could understand Greek better than he could speak it. He was so eloquent, indeed, that he might have passed for a teacher of eloquence. He most zealously cultivated the liberal arts, held those who taught them in great esteem, and conferred great honors upon them. He took lessons in grammar of the deacon Peter of Pisa, at that time an aged man. Another deacon, Albin of Britain, surnamed Alcuin, a man of Saxon extraction, who was the greatest scholar of the day, was his teacher in other branches of learning. The King spent much time and labour with him studying rhetoric, dialectics, and especially astronomy; he learned to reckon, and used to investigate the motions of the heavenly bodies most curiously, with an intelligent scrutiny. He also tried to write, and used to keep tablets and blanks in bed under his pillow, that at leisure hours he might accustom his hand to form the letters; however, as he did not begin his efforts in due season, but late in life, they met with ill success.

It's almost sort of sad. I have a feeling he may have been dyslexic.

The later biographer Notker the Stammerer (less sober than Einhard and prone to confabulation) also notes his patronage of learning and attention to study:

Notker the Stammerer posted:

But when Albinus (Alcuin), an Englishman, heard that the most religious Emperor Charles gladly entertained wise men, he entered into a ship and came to him. Now Albinus was skilled in all learning beyond all others of our times, for he was the disciple of that most learned priest Bede, who next to Saint Gregory was the most skillful interpreter of the scriptures. And Charles received Albinus kindly and kept him at his side to the end of his life, except when he marched with his armies to his vast wars: nay, Charles would even call himself Albinus's disciple; and Albinus he would call his master.

As to the incest stories, they appear to be a later invention connected to legends of St. Giles, and possibly mutated into incest from earlier charges of sodomy.

Hellequin has a new favorite as of 11:04 on Jan 3, 2016

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Baracula posted:

The political divisions of Europe: not retarded

It has to be said that the division of Europe was due to the fact that Primogeniture was not the accepted method of succession back then. Every son was entitled to his little share.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Dalris Othaine posted:

Speaking of Charlemagne, he's basically the reason that Ecclesiastical Latin exists.

Dude was Emperor (or whatever, let's not quibble) and really getting into this whole "Christianity" thing. Holidays, divine rights, life everlasting? Great! But he was incredibly concerned that if people were pronouncing the old Latin prayers wrong, then God wouldn't be able to understand them, and everyone would go to Hell or whatever current dogma said would happen. So he established schools and such to teach the proper way to read and write Latin, so everyone (and ideally himself) could get in on that.

The twist?

Charlemagne couldn't read Latin.

You can probably imagine how well that went.

And for a fun fact that's much less likely to have been accidentally made up by me (:v:) the Pope has his own Twitter account @Pontifex. He tweets in English and Latin.

Said twitter produced one of the funniest ice burns on dumb islamophobes ever recently:

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Munin posted:

It has to be said that the division of Europe was due to the fact that Primogeniture was not the accepted method of succession back then. Every son was entitled to his little share.

Charlemagne couldn't increase Crown Authority high enough :smith:

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Comrade Koba posted:

Looks like someone bought Empress Irene an account.

If that was true at least I'd have a legitimate imperial title, unlike Karl :agesilaus:

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

I'm Charles II's of Spain parachute account. Goo goo gaa gaa.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

No negative post count, no deal.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

... There's a post counter?

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Yes, and the fact that it isn't visible on every post is a godsend.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

It increases if you post on a good subforum, decreases if you post on a bad subforum and doesn't change if you post on a neutral subforum.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Well, I'm mostly here, so it should be minus 500.

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax

Munin posted:

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Charlemagne couldn't increase Crown Authority high enough :smith:

Gavelkind strikes again :argh:

Mortley
Jan 18, 2005

aux tep unt rep uni ovi
The most famous philosopher in the world at the time, Ludwig Wittgenstein, spent part of World War II in a hospital ward delivering medication from the pharmacy - but he advised the patients not to take their medicine.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Baracula posted:

Charlemagne couldn't read at all. He was a dumb illiterate motherfucker.
And yet he was one of the brightest military minds of the time with such a great focus on building a stable and lasting state and logistics behind it that probably weren't seen for centuries before or after in europe.

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

It's always weird how Charles V came before Charles II :V

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Weren't the overwhelming, vast majority of people illiterate at the time? My understanding was that anyone, especially rulers/royalty being able to read and write would have been incredibly rare.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
What was there to read anyway?

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
Lives of Famous Whores by Suetonius.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Back To 99 posted:

Lives of Famous Whores by Suetonius.

Suetonius is basically the Stephenie Meyer of 80 AD.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

steinrokkan posted:

Heh, this fucker conquered half of Europe and established the political divisions of the continent for the better part of a millennium... What a retard!

During classical antiquity the Chinese imported asbestos cloth from Europe as the most luxurious miracle, a cloth that could be washed by being thrown into fire. They also believed sea silk (thread made from mollusc filaments) was made out of wool of either furry fish or "sea sheep". Sounds like the Chinese were also not so bright, huh?

Transliteration of Chinese characters is awesome and should not be besmirched. :colbert:

Like, computer is 'electric brain' (diannao) in Chinese. How cool is that?

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Weren't the overwhelming, vast majority of people illiterate at the time? My understanding was that anyone, especially rulers/royalty being able to read and write would have been incredibly rare.

Yes and the reason why you reached the position of leader in German warbands, confederations or tribes wasn't exactly based on SAT scores.

Well Alaric, your thesis on "Climate Change and migratory process of the tribes along the Danube" was fascinating, how you'd like an internship as king of the Goths?

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Mans posted:

And yet he was one of the brightest military minds of the time with such a great focus on building a stable and lasting state and logistics behind it that probably weren't seen for centuries before or after in europe.

Charlemagne: good at breaking things, possibly forever!

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
Have we done Jack Churchill yet? If not, why not? The man fought in WW2, armed with a longbow, bagpipes, and a broadsword. Because "An officer who goes to battle without his sword is not fully dressed. " He was creditted with being the last British soldier to get a confirmed kill using a longbow, in 1940. When he was captured he was playing the pipes.

Basically, Mad Jack was one of the most :black101: soldiers ever.

Read more here: http://www.badassoftheweek.com/churchill.html

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Mans posted:

Charles V was also Charles I. And Charles IV was simultaneously Charles I as well. And then Charles I of Austria was also Charles III or possibly Charles IV of Bohemia (because the title of Charles III was also claimed in 18th century Charles VII) and Charles IV of Hungary.

This sort of poo poo was my professor's favourite excuse for failing students at oral exams.

steinrokkan has a new favorite as of 22:35 on Jan 3, 2016

Rad Gravity
Mar 14, 2012

Baracula posted:

Charlemagne: good at breaking things, possibly forever!

Yeah gently caress him for breaking the peaceful European community of the eight century

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Rad Gravity posted:

Yeah gently caress him for breaking the peaceful European community of the eight century

Baracula seems to have been directly affected by this medieval warlord's injustices.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Rad Gravity posted:

I'm sure the Saxons and Lombards appreciated his peacemaking

Rad Gravity
Mar 14, 2012
It spawned that hilarious music video with breathing (until recently) historical fun fact Christopher Lee, so Charlie's alright in my book.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

In the 6th century the ByZaNtInEs sent 2 men on a top secret mission to steal the secret of silk from India.

A few things went wrong and a few things went right.

- Namely they found out Silk is made in China. OK whatever can't be too far.
- Then they found out Silk is made from bugs?? Constanti-no-thanks!
- Finally after a while they got over that one weird fact and successfully stole silkworm larva.
- ...and took them home and closed that dumbass Silk Bug Road down for good.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smuggling_of_silkworm_eggs_into_the_Byzantine_Empire

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Solice Kirsk posted:

Suetonius is basically the Stephenie Meyer of 80 AD.

50 Shades of Gaius :hist101:

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Widukind had some good ideas.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Speaking of Charlemagne there's a theory with some traction that his aggressive Christianizing of Europe led to the Viking Age. Some Franks high on zeal burn down some Norse temples in lower Denmark and the local Vikings go on a revenge raid or two and figure out that Christian churches are both rich and easy pickings, thus leading to a medieval gold-rush of sorts. At the very least Charlemagne's proselytizing by sword would have raised tensions contributing to Norse aggression.

Baracula posted:

I'm sure the Saxons and Lombards appreciated his peacemaking

Pretty much any empire maker in history has been a massive asshat, short of the dudes pulling together a community of other oppressed people maybe.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

hard counter posted:

Speaking of Charlemagne there's a theory with some traction that his aggressive Christianizing of Europe led to the Viking Age. Some Franks high on zeal burn down some Norse temples in lower Denmark and the local Vikings go on a revenge raid or two and figure out that Christian churches are both rich and easy pickings, thus leading to a medieval gold-rush of sorts. At the very least Charlemagne's proselytizing by sword would have raised tensions contributing to Norse aggression.

Interesting, I would like to know more!

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
hitler bad :mad:

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Snapchat A Titty posted:

Interesting, I would like to know more!

I'll try to hit you with some proper sources later but wiki has a small section on this for now

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viking_Age#Probable_causes_of_Norse_expansion

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
Virtually all British princes have the name "Arthur" buried somewhere in their list of names. Prince William, for instance, is William Arthur Philip Louis.

However, not a single prince with the first name of Arthur has ever lived to take the throne.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Victoria Woodhull was the first woman to run for president of the USA. In 1872. There are a few technicalities that you could bring up to disqualify her (such as not being quite old enough), but still. She also did a bunch of other stuff, and was once married to a man whose name leads me to assume that he was a super-villain, Colonel Blood.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

hard counter posted:

Hahahaha

Blaming the Viking raids on Christian aggression? That's a new one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Orkin Mang posted:

hitler bad :mad:

Hitler... good?