Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
My parents had old friends of theirs over for dinner tonight and the dude owns a printing company. Just because he thought I might find it useful he brought over a really nice little printer's loupe for me. Apparently it was lying around for ages before he had a chance to bring it over.

These things are awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

jadebullet posted:

So what do you guys recommend for creating custom wet transfer decals? I ask because I am contemplating a build where there are sadly no decals available for what I am making, so custom decals is the only way to go. I don't really have a bunch of money lying around though, so I don't want to go too expensive.

Also, do you guys have any tips for bending photoetched pieces?

There a ton of manufacturers out there that sell laser and inkjet decal papers. Testors and Bare Metal Foil are two popular brands in the modelling community, but there are dozens more out there. What exactly is your project? There always seem to be decals for just about anything out there.

As for for bending photoetch, the cheapest route is to get a safety razor blade (the kind with a protective metal piece on one edge), and something thin and flat with finely honed right-andle edges you can hold the PE piece down with. You could use a metal ruler, a thin piece of aluminum sheet, I've even used the metal blade out of a hand planer. You hold the piece down with the flat metal piece, and then slide the razor blade under the piece, and then pull up on the blade to make your bend. Simple bends can be achieved with some small flat-nosed, flat-sided pliers that don't have serration in the jaws.

If you want to spend some money, there are custom folding stations for PE. The Small Shop makes a variety of bending stations, so you can choose something that fits your price range. I use the 5-Speed model, and I love it. Wouldn't bother with PE without out.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
I am looking at building Yellow 13's SU-27 from Ace Combat 4, and there are quite a few custom decals I will need. I might have to look into getting some of that decal paper. (and probably a better, more reliable printer) That being said, I found out that Hasegawa made a 1/72 SU-33 for Yellow 13 a little while ago, as well as a Razgriz F-14, but they are both going for about $100 right now and I am not sure if I want to drop that kind of money on a kit. (Well, I want to. I really want to, but I am not sure if I should.)

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Welp, calling it a night I guess,

Well, the Gundam got almost nothing other than some touch-up color. I have ideas for the blue, but I'm starting to like just the blue.

Also, gently caress rocket pods. and gently caress white.

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Except the heaven had come so near,
So seemed to choose my door,The distance would not haunt me so

Soiled Meat

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

God-dammit! Was bored tonight so I dug into my stash and decided to prime up the Mars Attacks figure I have. Get everything prepped and on paint holders, break out the airbrush and the primer, do everything up, looks good, break down the airbrush and do a thorough cleaning, reassemble and check out the finished result....

... and I forgot to do the head. FUUUUUUHHHH!!!!!

Screw it, the head is getting a rattle can in the morning.

Sounds like you're a tad stressed. A little head in the morning might just be what the doctor ordered.

jadebullet posted:

So what do you guys recommend for creating custom wet transfer decals? I ask because I am contemplating a build where there are sadly no decals available for what I am making, so custom decals is the only way to go. I don't really have a bunch of money lying around though, so I don't want to go too expensive.

Also, do you guys have any tips for bending photoetched pieces?

Also check out paragrafix for a cheapish lil triangle bendy thing. Their proper bender is sold out atm, but I dig how it's made from photoetch
http://www.paragrafix.biz/search01.asp?MainCat=Tools

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Do those hold and place pencil things work? I was planning on getting some rubber tipped tweezers/forceps but now the pencil things have caught my interest.

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

jadebullet posted:

I am looking at building Yellow 13's SU-27 from Ace Combat 4, and there are quite a few custom decals I will need. I might have to look into getting some of that decal paper. (and probably a better, more reliable printer) That being said, I found out that Hasegawa made a 1/72 SU-33 for Yellow 13 a little while ago, as well as a Razgriz F-14, but they are both going for about $100 right now and I am not sure if I want to drop that kind of money on a kit. (Well, I want to. I really want to, but I am not sure if I should.)

Write to Hasegawa at productsupport@hobbico.com. You accidently spilled coffee on the decal sheet of the kit and need a replacement. Chances are, they'll just send one out for free.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Thanks, I will have to try that. It will save me $50 in any case, since I will probably end up buying the Hasegawa SU-33 anyway, just not at the collectors edition price increase. Does anyone know what the spotting differences between an SU-33 and an SU-37 are? They seem relatively similar. I ask since there appear to be no good SU-37 Terminator kits out there, especially in 1/72, and when Hasegawa made their Ace kit they put the scheme on an SU-33 instead of the SU-37.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.
I finished off the base of the Ghostkeel this afternoon. I added some pigments and tidied up the rim and added some varnishes.

I quite like it now, it matches the ruined gothic factory sector vibe I had in my head when I started.

Brovine
Dec 24, 2011

Mooooo?
So, Revell Crappire...

I haven't got the paints I need yet, so I'm having to build a few things out of order to allow for painting certain pieces later.

I started with the tail assemblies.

Went together OK, with a bit of filing. There's no locating pins or anything so you have to just line them up and hope.

Then the horizontal stabiliser, with these two tiny bits to glue in.

Bit fiddly and my tiny pliers aren't really small enough for this. They're roughly straight which is the best I'm going to manage.

Then I assembled the wings. These are two pieces, top and bottom, with a separate flap and intake. Again, no locating pins but you can use the intakes to help line things up. I've left the intakes off for now, though, to paint inside them.

This is everything so far, dry-fit together.

And that's about as far as I can get without paint, so I'll have to wait for that to arrive.

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Except the heaven had come so near,
So seemed to choose my door,The distance would not haunt me so

Soiled Meat

Slugworth posted:

Do those hold and place pencil things work? I was planning on getting some rubber tipped tweezers/forceps but now the pencil things have caught my interest.

Not entirely sure, from a little blurb on culttvmanshop, looks like the tip of the pencil is sticky enough to hold the smaller pieces. He also has it a few cents cheaper, so Immight have to pick one up and check it out

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Jonny Nox posted:

Also, gently caress rocket pods. and gently caress white.

White is one of those colors that can be tricky, not the least when you get into "scale" color and laboriously make all your white off-white.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I have a friend who has a small N scale layout, but 50% of it is a perfect recreation of a real life bridge and the surrounding area. Most all the parts were custom photo etched metal. It's really amazing.

The amount of fussy work he put into soldering photo-etched bullshit is astounding.

Here's the real bridge

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Jesus, that bridge. Kinda want that guy to build an archology, just to see how crazy it'd get.

Image is from one of my wackier drunk purchases.

Anyone have recommendations for magnifying doohickies? Painting some of the fiddlier bits that go onto the exterior of tanks, like the severed nazi heads on spikes toolkits and shovels, is getting a bit annoying. Being naturally nearsighted is no longer enough.

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jan 3, 2016

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Anyone have recommendations for magnifying doohickies? Painting some of the fiddlier bits that go onto the exterior of tanks, like the severed nazi heads on spikes toolkits and shovels, is getting a bit annoying. Being naturally nearsighted is no longer enough.
My first post on this page is literally that.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Arquinsiel posted:

My first post on this page is literally that.

That's what led me to post. I was hoping for a brand, or someone chiming in with "actually I prefer this other form factor" or something. v:)v

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Ah. Mine seems to be Konica Minolta Article Number 996290210090, and it's a neat little folding design. No idea if that's any use to you.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

big_g posted:

I finished off the base of the Ghostkeel this afternoon. I added some pigments and tidied up the rim and added some varnishes.

I quite like it now, it matches the ruined gothic factory sector vibe I had in my head when I started.

This turned out really great.

Also, that N-scale bridge is awesome.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I was obsessed with Soleri as a teen, always wanted that book.

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

holy poo poo, this thing is going to be both huge and awesome (with terrible instructions)

Better find somebody to sell that kidney to as well...

Molentik fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jan 4, 2016

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Wasn't Bandai promising an AT-AT kit as part of their line at some point? I know they certainly showed off an oversized Star Destroyer that still hasn't surfaced again.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Molentik posted:

holy poo poo, this thing is going to be both huge and awesome (with terrible instructions)

Something to match Dragon's 1/72 Saturn V.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Nebakenezzer posted:

Something to match Dragon's 1/72 Saturn V.

Molentik posted:

Goodbye money i hardly knew thee...

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!
Guess I am selling the children back to the mines.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Molentik posted:

So if I got the measurements right, it should be around 60 cm tall, or about 2'.

Nice.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

No Pun Intended posted:

Guess I am selling the children back to the mines.

Look at this idiot who doesn't lease his offspring to the factories so they get a constant stream of income :rolleyes:.

Mongolian Queef
May 6, 2004

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Jesus, that bridge. Kinda want that guy to build an archology, just to see how crazy it'd get.

Image is from one of my wackier drunk purchases.

I have one of these, apologies for the bork-bork-bork
http://www.kjell.com/se/sortiment/el/verktyg/forstoringsglas/pannlupp-p40112

And also one of these, which looks like what I find on Google image search for "printer's loupe" mentioned by Arquinsiel:

http://www.clasohlson.com/uk/Thread-Counter/34-7930

Here's another one from Shesto, probably has a wider range of magnification:
http://www.alfahobby.se/versatile-adjustable-5-lens-mgnifier-set--1

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
So how many kits do you guys work on at once? Ive been working on a Tamiya Ferrari F2001 for probably 3 months now and I'm getting burnt out I think. My interests are shifting somewhat and I'm finding it harder to really crack down and make progress. I'm thinking that if I have a few kits going at once, I can kinda bounce around and be more focused, but I'm afraid I'll never get anything finished.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

George Zimmer posted:

So how many kits do you guys work on at once?

Procrastination, they name is Bloody Hedgehog.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

George Zimmer posted:

So how many kits do you guys work on at once? Ive been working on a Tamiya Ferrari F2001 for probably 3 months now and I'm getting burnt out I think. My interests are shifting somewhat and I'm finding it harder to really crack down and make progress. I'm thinking that if I have a few kits going at once, I can kinda bounce around and be more focused, but I'm afraid I'll never get anything finished.
All of them. All of them at once. I have at least three unfinished kits on my desk right now, and another few half-built ones in various boxes around the place. Painted kits are in even shorter supply.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

When I am in build mode I usually have one I'm concentrating on and 2 I'm just touching up or dabbling in. That way when I get bored or frustrated or am waiting for something to dry I have something to do.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
So I'm way late for the crap-bot build, but I just ordered a Hi-Mock a couple days ago. I'm bad enough trying to pick a paint scheme for the cars I build. No idea what direction I want to go with it, but I'm excited to build a Gundam for the first time since junior high.

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

Arquinsiel posted:

All of them. All of them at once.

This. I have about 10 kits (plus a dozen or two figures that go with them) that are from just started to half done to only needing paint or just a few touch-ups on the weathering. That isn't counting half a dozen 1/6 figures and a few diorama bases in various states of completion. For my personal projects I like to switch often, work for a bit on a kit and try new techniques and then use those techniques on the other kits. The 1/6 commission work that I do usually comes first because they often have deadlines or I need the money.

Apart from that I'm constantly researching for projects that are already started or ideas for kits that I haven't started yet, plus some leatherwork and sewing projects that I sell to fund my hobbies.

Blink 182 posted:

What the hell is ADD?

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Look at this idiot who doesn't lease his offspring to the factories so they get a constant stream of income :rolleyes:.

I said THE children not MY children.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Arquinsiel posted:

All of them. All of them at once. I have at least three unfinished kits on my desk right now, and another few half-built ones in various boxes around the place. Painted kits are in even shorter supply.

This.

Right now I'm finishing the tools and other fiddly bits that go on top of a Tamiya Stug III, procrastinating on the camo for an academy king tiger and a Tamiya Abrams M1A2 I just remembered I hadn't finished today. Also in the queue: the pooplane, the Bandai AT-ST I got for Christmas, a T-55, and a Klingon bird of prey I've been doing one window at a time (turns out the full fiber optic treatment is kind of tedious).

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Got the bug to do some more DIY crap, so I'm going to mod my spray booth once again to make it even bigger. Gonna head out to Michaels tomorrow to get some foam-board, which will serve as the walls of the enclosure, and see what I can knock up with that. I might take it all the way ghetto and use wax-paper as the roof of the enclosure, to give it a nice translucent effect for light to pass through. That is, unless Michaels has some of that translucent plastic-board you see some signs made out of.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Current status of kits:
- Il-2 that I got bored of this summer
- Katuysha that turned out to be missing a lot of parts, like all wheels
- Type 80 that's made of some kind of ridiculous plastic that can't be glued by cyanoacrylate cement and just shatters into pieces when I pick it up
- Tiger, mostly painted, awaiting gloss spray, wheels, and tracks
- SdKfz 250, mostly done, just need to put on a few finishing touches, take pictures, and put on the shelf
- Chaffee, turret basecoated, hull primed and covered in rust for chipping experiment
- 1:16th German infantryman, partially assembled, awaiting primer

Also I had a new diorama idea, stripped a bunch of old figures for it, but then hit up a boxing day sale and got distracted from it by all these shiny new tanks.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Any of you happen to know the smallest model AT-AT that still looks like an AT?

I kind of want to make one of those cheesy snowglobes of Hoth.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Rotten Cookies posted:

Any of you happen to know the smallest model AT-AT that still looks like an AT?

I kind of want to make one of those cheesy snowglobes of Hoth.

Get the micro-machine one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Right, my Airfix Vampire finally arrived after the neighbour brought it round because the UPS man can't read door numbers. Anyway, let's have a look.

Nice box, what's inside?

Hmm, I think those wings might have some shape issues...

... like every other part in here. :negative:
Seriously, I have no idea what this is.

edit: it's a Mitsubishi Zero, apparently :confused:

Unkempt fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jan 5, 2016