Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

infernal machines posted:

any time you think this, just remember, you can buy an optional accessory that will allow you to do what the device should have done out of the box.

thanks timb.

I'm glad apple provides an optional accessory ($149) to plug in and use ethernet on my 2015 laptop, true captains of industry with such innovation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Millstone posted:

I'm glad apple provides an optional accessory ($149) to plug in and use ethernet on my 2015 laptop, true captains of industry with such innovation

http://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters...=usb+c+ethernet

they shoulda put 2 usb c ports on the macbook tho

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

mishaq posted:

This doesn't provide power

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

mishaq posted:

are you unable to r->c->p? theres no power on this. are you loving stupid?

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

as usual, OWC has us retarded mac owners covered for a reasonable fee: https://eshop.macsales.com/preorder/OWC-USB-C-Dock/

it even comes in matching colors you loving cunts

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Millstone posted:

look at this peasant scrub still using copper wires to transmit data ityool 2016

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

THC posted:

look at this peasant scrub still using copper wires to transmit data ityool 2016

agreed. you shouldn't be plugging ethernet in to anything that moves often.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
just posting to say i have a surplus of apple lightning cables becaues they come in everything even the drat remote has one so if one breaks i will just take one out of my utility drawer where i keep the spares with my spare keys and tape rolls and pens/pencils and knives/box cutters and poo poo

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

apple cables break often so that we can buy new cables and experience the satisfaction of a nice fresh clean new white Apple cable over and over again.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Millstone posted:

This doesn't provide power

Smythe posted:

are you unable to r->c->p? theres no power on this. are you loving stupid?

i was replying to the statement that a $150 accessory was needed to supply ethernet to the macbook, with a sub $20 accessory that is able to do that

i also stated the macbook should have 2 usb c ports to address the lack of ability to use said accessory while simultaneously providing power in the same post

that doesnt negate the linked accessory from being able to provide ethernet to the macbook at a sub $150 price point

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

mishaq posted:

i was replying to the statement that a $150 accessory was needed to supply ethernet to the macbook, with a sub $20 accessory that is able to do that

i also stated the macbook should have 2 usb c ports to address the lack of ability to use said accessory while simultaneously providing power in the same post

that doesnt negate the linked accessory from being able to provide ethernet to the macbook at a sub $150 price point

I made the price up I was referring to the crapple accessory

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

http://www.apple.com/ca/shop/product/MJ1K2AM/A/usb-c-digital-av-multiport-adapter?fnode=85

Lol doesn't do ethernet anyway scrappled again

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

the macbook lacking ethernet is fine, almost no one plugs in their laptops anymore in tyool 2015 and for the special snowflake cases you do need it, there's a cheap dongle for you

having only a single usb c port on the macbook is dumb, at least have 2

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

http://www.apple.com/ca/shop/product/MC704LL/A/apple-usb-ethernet-adapter?fnode=85

e:lol 10/100

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

mishaq posted:

the macbook lacking ethernet is fine, almost no one plugs in their laptops anymore in tyool 2015 and for the special snowflake cases you do need it, there's a cheap dongle for you

having only a single usb c port on the macbook is dumb, at least have 2

maybe the next one will have 2 ports, they did that with the air

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

zen death robot posted:

in large corporate offices the wifi is often pretty slow compared to wired

at my current job they have really fancy wifi aps with like 8 antennas sticking out of them

when i joined i noticed the wifi performance was complete dogshit, so i fired up a wifi sniffer utility and see whatever moron set these up has every ap broadcasting on the same 2.4 and 5 GHz channel lol

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

that cant plug into the macbook, it's usb 2 :v:

a usb 2 gigabit ethernet adapter wouldnt make sense considering usb 2 maxes at 480 mbps

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

obviously you would use that with the usbc dongle. but there's also 3rd party gigabit ones for usbc and usb3 in there somewhere

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

It just works, like all Apple products!
Purchased this for my MacBook Air and it works flawlessly! I use wifi 90% of the time, but for those rare occasions that wired is the only way to go, it's nice to know that I just jack right in and get to work. I work in IT so having access to both wired and wireless connections is a MUST for my line of work! By the way, a quick word about the the adapter only being 10/100 vs Gigabit capable. This is not due to Apple being "cheap" or controlling, but rather has to due with the inherent limitation of the USB connection itself. See, by definition, USB 2.0 has a theoretical maximum bandwidth of 480 Mbps. This means that USB 2.0 - at a maximum - is capable of less than half of the maximum Gigabit speed (1,000 Mbps). So even if Apple would've included this feature in the device itself, the bus the USB connects to internally would prevent it from ever reaching anything near that speed, plus, the device probably would've cost about 300% more since most Gigabit-enabled products usually cost approx. that much more for that capability. My only (slight) complaint is the lack of status/link lights on the device. Again, from an IT standpoint, that feature is a welcome addition, however, being an Apple product, Apple does not include these lights on any of their products (MacBooks, Apple TV, Mac Pros, etc.) so I didn't expect them to include it...just a personal preference is all!

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Smythe posted:

Purchased this for my MacBook Air and it works flawlessly! I use wifi 90% of the time, but for those rare occasions that wired is the only way to go, it's nice to know that I just jack right in and get to work. I work in IT so having access to both wired and wireless connections is a MUST for my line of work! By the way, a quick word about the the adapter only being 10/100 vs Gigabit capable. This is not due to Apple being "cheap" or controlling, but rather has to due with the inherent limitation of the USB connection itself. See, by definition, USB 2.0 has a theoretical maximum bandwidth of 480 Mbps. This means that USB 2.0 - at a maximum - is capable of less than half of the maximum Gigabit speed (1,000 Mbps). So even if Apple would've included this feature in the device itself, the bus the USB connects to internally would prevent it from ever reaching anything near that speed, plus, the device probably would've cost about 300% more since most Gigabit-enabled products usually cost approx. that much more for that capability. My only (slight) complaint is the lack of status/link lights on the device. Again, from an IT standpoint, that feature is a welcome addition, however, being an Apple product, Apple does not include these lights on any of their products (MacBooks, Apple TV, Mac Pros, etc.) so I didn't expect them to include it...just a personal preference is all!

dont post my long winded reviews on store.apple.com plz

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Smythe posted:

pls dont post my anonymous apple store reviews

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

eric posted:

agreed. you shouldn't be plugging ethernet in to anything that moves often.

Also anything that doesn't move should be wired so that the mobile devices have maximum available bandwidth.

URL grey tea
Jun 1, 2004

IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!

i'm edging

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

im milking :q:

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

nice android

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

Millstone posted:

if you're dumb enough to want or need ethernet and then buy a macbook then u def should be charged $150 as an idiot tax

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
solution for all babies who complain about the macbook having one port: dont buy a macbook becuasue it obviously isnt targetted at u.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

Smythe posted:

wow this is great information and easy to digest. thanks apple guy

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

MrMoo posted:

As you can see from the picture the connector is intact and is well designed, however the housing for the connector appears too thin and damaged due to bad design.

the weak housing is part of the apple design

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Smythe posted:

lol

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

my retro original iphone 5 charging cable which i still use as my daily charger in perfect condition as i am not some kind of feral animal whom chews his cables

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Stux posted:

my retro original iphone 5 charging cable which i still use as my daily charger in perfect condition as i am not some kind of feral animal whom chews his cables
buy a new one anyway, that cable is filthy

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
or clean it with a magic eraser

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

THC posted:

buy a new one anyway, that cable is filthy

that's the lovely bulb in this room making it look discoloured

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I got a pile of anker cables from amazon since I wanted different sizes and they suit my needs

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Silver Alicorn posted:

pro tip right here

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Silver Alicorn posted:

literal computer janitoring itt

neonbregna