Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Crain posted:

This is that thing where they did something like: (55% of people who voted in a poll said they didn't see SW because we told them it was SJW) X ($8 ticket price) X (Gross life time page views) = 4 million bucks?

I'm not really trying to read that crap just to confirm if it's that or some other SW related idiocy.

Yep, you even got the 55% right.

They then go on to talk about how they've made a ~demonstrable impact~ on the film because "demonstrable" means "i believe it to be so"

EDIT: Actually it's even better, the 55% answered yes that the site's writing had "affected their decision" of whether or not to see the new star wars movie, which the author assumes meant chose not to see.

EDIT2: I just noticed only ~500 people actually voted in the poll ahahaha

Shame Boy has a new favorite as of 05:43 on Dec 31, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

EDIT: Actually it's even better, the 55% answered yes that the site's writing had "affected their decision" of whether or not to see the new star wars movie, which the author assumes meant chose not to see.

Yeah, I could have answered yes in that poll, but the extended answer would be "Oh you guys hate it? I'll buy 3 tickets. and extra popcorn. And just mail my paycheck right to the living embodiment of Star Wars with a little memo that says: Because some nerd is mad about black people.".

I posted it on the last page in an edit. But if that 900k unique visitor stat is honest (and it's probably inflated), that means that with the poll only getting 565 votes total, there's a participation percentage of only 0.000627%. And that's total votes, not "yes" votes. Only 310.75 people said it affected their decision. If we really take that to mean "didn't see it" then they only cost Disney ~$2500. But if we assume that the participation rate also applies to the poll, as in only 0.000627% of those 310 people will actually care enough to not actually see the movie, then only 20% of one person didn't see the film. Costing Disney a GRAND TOTAL OF [Drumroll] $1.55.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Crain posted:

Yeah, I could have answered yes in that poll, but the extended answer would be "Oh you guys hate it? I'll buy 3 tickets. and extra popcorn. And just mail my paycheck right to the living embodiment of Star Wars with a little memo that says: Because some nerd is mad about black people.".

I posted it on the last page in an edit. But if that 900k unique visitor stat is honest (and it's probably inflated), that means that with the poll only getting 565 votes total, there's a participation percentage of only 0.000627%. And that's total votes, not "yes" votes. Only 310.75 people said it affected their decision. If we really take that to mean "didn't see it" then they only cost Disney ~$2500. But if we assume that the participation rate also applies to the poll, as in only 0.000627% of those 310 people will actually care enough to not actually see the movie, then only 20% of one person didn't see the film. Costing Disney a GRAND TOTAL OF [Drumroll] $1.55.

That's dark enlightenment levels of misunderstanding math.

It's reasonable to say that almost every idiot who visits RoK enough to vote in their poll probably followed through with their dumbass ideology. They could have hurt Disney for $5,000 or so!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

ikanreed posted:

It's reasonable to say that almost every idiot who visits RoK enough to vote in their poll probably followed through with their dumbass ideology. They could have hurt Disney for $5,000 or so!

On the other hand, it's also reasonable to say that every idiot who visits RoK is also a big enough nerd that the effect was probably more like "I will only see it FOUR MORE TIMES rather than SIX! Ha!"

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

On the other hand, it's also reasonable to say that every idiot who visits RoK is also a big enough nerd that the effect was probably more like "I will only see it FOUR MORE TIMES rather than SIX! Ha!"

Oh yeah. BoycottModernWarfare.jpg

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

ikanreed posted:

I mean, the math works out, it's just completely misapplied and useless.

Either way, the wording of that poll is so bad. Even answering the "no" option could still mean boycotting the film.

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Steven Pinker convinced a generation of dumb nerds that the blank slate is a Marxist thing rather than a founding principle of liberal capitalism, so why not make Rawls a Marxist?

He convinced a generation of dumb nerds that scientists are a lot of cultural marxists who take the "blank slate" as their first precept, and that being racist and sexist (while pretending to be rational and scientific) was what the smart kids were doing. But then again, it's easy to sell nerds dumb propaganda.

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine
In other words, the models to emulate is ESR and Yudkowsky.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. Video Games 0081 posted:

That's a terrible reading of Rawls
Seriously.

And nobody needs to "smuggle in" the most impactful american political theorist of the last century.

Merdifex posted:

He convinced a generation of dumb nerds that scientists are a lot of cultural marxists who take the "blank slate" as their first precept, and that being racist and sexist (while pretending to be rational and scientific) was what the smart kids were doing. But then again, it's easy to sell nerds dumb propaganda.
My hatred of Pinker is professional in nature, but you can't accuse him of seriously buying into something as silly as "cultural marxism".

Also, last time I checked, Pinker stayed away from any kind of racially charged topic by a huge margin, with the exception of considering the possibility of a genetic origin of Jewish intelligence.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Pinker has the same sneering tone toward the humanities that you find among STEMlord NRxers.

Oligopsony
May 17, 2007

neonnoodle posted:

Pinker has the same sneering tone toward the humanities that you find among STEMlord NRxers.

Yeah but that, while obnoxious, is orders of magnitude more common than even having heard of neoreaction, so I wouldn't read too much into it.

It is kind of interesting how the expected political valence of the "two cultures" has shifted over the last century, though.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I once saw an NRx dude try to recruit Richard Dawkins on twitter after Dawkins did what Dawkins does on twitter for the 35th time. I recall the words, "I have detected crimethink in your works" were used.

Sadly, I think it was Konkvistador who has left twitter. I did find this battle of intellectual giants though https://twitter.com/shakya_scion/status/297163156424372226

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
Stand down, all, Clark is back to posting! I don't understand it at all, but apparently Moldbug was very informative in the ideas going into it.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

divabot posted:

Stand down, all, Clark is back to posting! I don't understand it at all, but apparently Moldbug was very informative in the ideas going into it.

I really miss when nerds were vulgar empiricists and discount store positivists. Would be better than this absurd parody of postmodernism.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

divabot posted:

To put it simply, he's saying that people like Palin who believe America 'just needs to go back to the Constitution' misunderstand that there is no easy way to undo progress made since 1776. No idea why he's using transition tables as a way of explaining that since only people with comp sci degrees would care enough to understand.

He's basically saying "you can't drive the wrong way down a one-way street" although frankly I recommend he does, and preferably a busy one.

Oligopsony
May 17, 2007
Yeah, the main point seems perfectly sound, if already enough of a cliche in reactionary circles that they have multiple terms for it, and full of bizarre confusions like

quote:

The finally Wilson and FDR led us into the current USG4 based on the theory that North Eastern Puritan progressives knew better and needed their hands untied so that they could share their vision with the common people…good and hard.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Someone just needs to write "genetic fallacy" on a brick and then just start bludgeoning them with it.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

The state machine thing is the absolute weirdest analogy and reading of American History that I have ever seen. Not that I didn't enjoy the target of the authors derision, but seriously, what the gently caress was that?

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

neonnoodle posted:

I'm working in the empirical arm of Pinker's field and he's basically our humanities embassador (IMO). The serious arm of our field is all about statistics and data and stuff, Pinker is all about storytelling and anecdotes and exegesis.

Edit: I think Pinker is exceptionally bright and makes a ton of good points though. But I also really loathe about 40% of what he does, e.g. the "dear humanities: science isn't your enemy!" thing, in the first place due to Pinker's entirely delusional self representation as a 'hard' scientist.

Cingulate has a new favorite as of 23:10 on Jan 1, 2016

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'm kind of surprised Clark didn't explain this as a nonlinear system, which sounds a lot smarter and quantitative and would be much less predictable than a software design analogy.

Him going maverick and attacking archetypes of the extreme right early on is very predictable too. Fair and balanced, yo.

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I once saw an NRx dude try to recruit Richard Dawkins on twitter after Dawkins did what Dawkins does on twitter for the 35th time. I recall the words, "I have detected crimethink in your works" were used.

Sadly, I think it was Konkvistador who has left twitter. I did find this battle of intellectual giants though https://twitter.com/shakya_scion/status/297163156424372226

Maybe I'm missing some nuanced object-level thought here, but this is basically "stereotyping whites is not-even-reverse-racism, stereotyping blacks is STEM-level science" yeah?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Cingulate posted:

I'm working in the empirical arm of Pinker's field and he's basically our humanities embassador (IMO). The serious arm of our field is all about statistics and data and stuff, Pinker is all about storytelling and anecdotes and exegesis.

Edit: I think Pinker is exceptionally bright and makes a ton of good points though. But I also really loathe about 40% of what he does, e.g. the "dear humanities: science isn't your enemy!" thing, in the first place due to Pinker's entirely delusional self representation as a 'hard' scientist.

Could you read back what you just wrote then what you just quoted and the implicit assumptions inside of that to try and notice the vein of nigh on cosmic irony that you have just started mining?

Its not a "humanities" thing to work in anecdotes, and people would be less keen to see science as an "enemy" if it wasn't populated by raging arses who seem to believe that knowing what a gluon is makes them a competent human being.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I bet a lot of that fellow's audience doesn't know clearly what a non-linear system is, but does have some familiarity with software design. :v:

Oligopsony
May 17, 2007

Nessus posted:

I bet a lot of that fellow's audience doesn't know clearly what a non-linear system is, but does have some familiarity with software design. :v:

I'd join in on the mockery but by this point I've assimilated way too many concepts by way of D&D analogies.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Nessus posted:

Shouldn't programmers know what nonlinearities are?

Also, I wrote "a software analogy is predictable" because I assume he's writing in large part for techies.

Josef bugman posted:

Could you read back what you just wrote then what you just quoted and the implicit assumptions inside of that to try and notice the vein of nigh on cosmic irony that you have just started mining?
I'm not sure what you mean by this.

Josef bugman posted:

Its not a "humanities" thing to work in anecdotes
It should, was my point, certainly not be a science thing to work in anecdotes. Pinker is, from my point of view, not a (STEM-y) scientist, and he's closer to humanities than to narrow-sense science.

It's called "cognitive science", and I guess it is cognitive ...

Josef bugman posted:

[science is] populated by raging arses who seem to believe that knowing what a gluon is makes them a competent human being.
This is probably wrong and certainly besides the point.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
The internet has accelerated and broadened aging physicist syndrome.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Reactionary cries bitter, bitter tears over girls kicking him out of the clubhouse part 324917

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Oh man, I don't remember this dude in particular (might if I saw his Reddit un) but I was one of those moderators and while I haven't been back to /r/@ in a long while at the time it was completely overrun by MRAs, anarcho-capitalists, and open, no-poo poo fascists, all of whom were outraged at the idea that the topic of the subreddit being anarchism didn't mean there were no rules or moderation.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Pope Guilty posted:

Oh man, I don't remember this dude in particular (might if I saw his Reddit un) but I was one of those moderators and while I haven't been back to /r/@ in a long while at the time it was completely overrun by MRAs, anarcho-capitalists, and open, no-poo poo fascists, all of whom were outraged at the idea that the topic of the subreddit being anarchism didn't mean there were no rules or moderation.

To be fair SA's made fun of a ton of different anarchist groups for having rules and later getting upset when anarchists don't follow rules or behave in the hyper-rational-ideal-perfect-information ways they're "supposed" to in glorious anarchic society.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Look up the noisebridge thread sometime.

Numerical Anxiety
Sep 2, 2011

Hello.

Cingulate posted:

It should, was my point, certainly not be a science thing to work in anecdotes. Pinker is, from my point of view, not a (STEM-y) scientist, and he's closer to humanities than to narrow-sense science.

You know how every now and again there's work in done in the humanities by someone who thinks that quantum this-and-that or some biological mechanism is a really great concept for understanding whatever it is they are working on, despite only a cursory, misleading understanding of the science? The end result is usually insulting mush?

Steven Pinker is pretty much that, except in reverse.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I've always gotten the impression that Pinker is a man respected due to his position and not based on the validity of his views.

That said, I've not read anything of his... Cingulate, you seem to respect him; is there anything of his that you'd recommend (we read) to help us consider him not awful?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I just dropped this lady in the other thread. I can't tell if she's one or not:

quote:

Would men be kept in isolation like stud horses?
I believe we must remove men from the community and place them in their own specific sections of society, akin to subsidised or state-funded reservations, so they can be redefined. We can make not only men safer, but women as well. By subsidising said reservations through the state we can provide men with activities, healthcare, entertainment, shelter, protection, and everything that one could ever require in life. This will remove conventional inequality from society. By reducing the number of men to 10 percent of the total population, their socio-biovalue will be raised. They will live out their lives happily and safely, and male disposability will be a thing of the past.

But don't men have value beyond breeding?
If technology has not advanced to a point where labour can be done without men, the few men that are necessary for said labour will be allowed to work on the outside of the reservations to complete whatever tasks necessary—if they wish.

Like slaves?
Not as slaves, simply as workers performing a duty, in the same way workers today do. Only without the need for monetary reimbursement as they would have no need for such a thing. This would be highly monitored and regulated.

What about the ambitions of the individual? Some men may aspire to more than luxury breeding pens.
Some would argue it would be a dystopian world because it wouldn't be free in the present conventional sense. However that is misguided. It will be utopian because it will be a world almost without conflict where people cooperate and are treated properly within a well-engineered and long-forged system. If everything is great for almost everyone the point is null. Survival and socio-organic wellbeing are the most important elements in life. Diversity of principles and standards is only necessary in a world of multiple nations, cultures, societies, and religions due to fear of oppression. So, how is this world any better? Because some people have potential opportunities to do certain things?

That's kind of depressing.
The purpose of living is merely to persist and perpetuate our species. If someone is willing to give you all you require to survive and live comfortably, simply because you exist, then you have already achieved all that truly matters.

Doesn't all this dismiss the notion of companionship and the family unit?
Heterosexual companionship and the nuclear family model, yes.

What do you propose as alternatives?
Children should be raised communally and by the state. The nuclear family model is a breeding ground of deceptions, mediocrities, treacheries, hypocrisy, and violence. It needs to be abolished. Bigotry, prejudice, and antiquated convictions are passed down through each generation. The conventional family unit indoctrinates our youth and drains them of their potential. My solution would be to assign children caretakers whose task would simply be to provide shelter, food, clothing, and protection for each child—all of which would be yielded by the state. Perfect girls will be conceived, developed, and engineered in state-owned breeding centers. They will be bound together in a communal venue under the instruction and control of female savants.

But realistically that's not what's best for the kids.
Children must be provided a proper education, a sex-separated education that will focus on developing real-world skills and capacities for concept building. They will be taught the reality of true equality, production, labour, and will be provided a better understanding of sexuality, science, culture and ethnicity. If children are made wards of the state with assigned caretakers, not only will it be easier to undo the constraints of bigotry and the other archaic beliefs that are passed down from parents to their children, but children can be used to monitor the older generations in regard to the propagation of bigoted and antediluvian values. It is about creating a unified perception.

Does this assume all women would automatically form lesbian relationships?
Relationships between females and males have been different throughout all of history. Associations between women and men differ with the time and popular socialisation. Today that is not common or normalised, but as time passes more women are interested in other women or are willing to indulge and experiment.

Then you think sexual orientation can be designed?
Absolutely. I believe sexual orientation, like most but not all things, comes from socialisation as well as genetics—with a heavier influence from genetics. Anyone who contends that sexual orientation is purely genetic is either disingenuous or foolish. Eventually, we will be able to engineer people to a greater preference for their own sex. It seems to me that a lot of women are far more open to homosexuality than men, or at least are more willing to experiment, and why is that?

I'm not sure, you think it's genetic?
Perhaps it's partially genetic, but it's also due to an ingrained fear that men have of appearing homosexual because that isn't what a "man" is supposed to be. With the combined forces of social and genetic engineering, we can easily reshape and mold human sexuality into whatever we desire.

http://www.vice.com/read/is-reducing-the-male-population-by-90-percent-the-solution-to-all-our-problems?utm_source=vicefbus

Seems like she's halfway there with the rationalist denial of democracy but rejects the racist stuff.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
That's basically just purporting a toned down version of the SCUM Manifesto to see who recognizes it.

shelley
Nov 8, 2010

Jack Gladney posted:

I just dropped this lady in the other thread. I can't tell if she's one or not:

http://www.vice.com/read/is-reducing-the-male-population-by-90-percent-the-solution-to-all-our-problems?utm_source=vicefbus

Seems like she's halfway there with the rationalist denial of democracy but rejects the racist stuff.

I really want to ask this lady what she thinks about trans people. In all likelihood it's the kind of craziness that "Bug" Brennan subscribes to: these type of people believe that trans women are evil men trying to infiltrate sacred femininity, and trans men are misguided women betraying their "real" gender.

In this woman's perfect world, no variance from the gender norms she assigns can exist. Either you're a girl and you're perfect and good, or you're a man and therefore must be sequestered from everyone because of your inherent evilness.

Come to think of it, there's more crossover between TERFs and Dark Enlightenment people than I thought: both imagine a perfect world where they call the shots and get to remake society so everyone will march to their tune.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

TERFism is this weird sort of radical feminism where one denounces gender essentialism while also lashing out viciously at anybody else who denounces it.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

divabot posted:

quote:

* Chain of custody / chain of block

Yes
Yesssss

shelley
Nov 8, 2010

Pope Guilty posted:

TERFism is this weird sort of radical feminism where one denounces gender essentialism while also lashing out viciously at anybody else who denounces it.

That's another thing that reminds me of other internet groups, not so much the Dark Enlightenment. There's this idea that unless you follow exactly the group's rules and beliefs, you are an enemy. No dissent is tolerated.

TERFs are extra weird to me because they enshrine hatred of trans people in the name of their movement. Usually groups with those kinds of hatred hide it a little bit, like how the Dark Enlightenment people slightly conceal the racism inherent in "human biodiversity".

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

shelley posted:

TERFs are extra weird to me because they enshrine hatred of trans people in the name of their movement.

Isn't "TERF" a derogatory term?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Tiggum posted:

Isn't "TERF" a derogatory term?

I mean, would you prefer calling them just plain old bigots?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Wait, so what's the deal with Steven Pinker? I mainly know him from that book about the decline of violence and some talks about the origins of language. Is he into some :biotruths: poo poo or something?