Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Caeks
Dec 27, 2009

For you console bros:

I'm hitting the point where I'm having LOADS of buttons to press and am going to start having to use R1 to switch over to different action bars. How many action bars can I expect to be switching between in fights? I leveled LCR up to 30 and am currently level MRD to unlock the DRG quest (MY FIRST JOB QUEST YAYYYYY!) and I'm already foreseeing some action bar movement onto a second set (apart from the second set I use for Travel, Teleport, Return, Chocobo, and some often used emotes for quests like Beckonfuck).

Also, oddly enough, I'm use to playing MMOs and loving glaring at my hotkeys to see when they come up, but as I've progressed in FFXIV so far, I'm finding I'm using my abilities a load like playing a fight game, wherein I don't need to stare at my hotbar and I'm beginning to just watch the screen and intuitively know what comes next from the animations, sound, and debuff bar. It feels different than playing MMOs on PC in a very awesome way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
Any tips for tanking with a controller? I'm playing a Gladiator w/ intention to go into Paladin (about level 20 atm) and generally things go pretty well when I shield throw -> flash. But whenever the THM goes haywire and nukes everything it's kind of a struggle to get aggro enmity back on the one straggler who runs off past my camera view.

I realize I could just go KB+M but I like playing with a controller a lot more so vOv

Runefaust posted:

For you console bros:

I'm hitting the point where I'm having LOADS of buttons to press and am going to start having to use R1 to switch over to different action bars. How many action bars can I expect to be switching between in fights? I leveled LCR up to 30 and am currently level MRD to unlock the DRG quest (MY FIRST JOB QUEST YAYYYYY!) and I'm already foreseeing some action bar movement onto a second set (apart from the second set I use for Travel, Teleport, Return, Chocobo, and some often used emotes for quests like Beckonfuck).

Also, oddly enough, I'm use to playing MMOs and loving glaring at my hotkeys to see when they come up, but as I've progressed in FFXIV so far, I'm finding I'm using my abilities a load like playing a fight game, wherein I don't need to stare at my hotbar and I'm beginning to just watch the screen and intuitively know what comes next from the animations, sound, and debuff bar. It feels different than playing MMOs on PC in a very awesome way.

I was just digging through the character options menu and I guess you can set it so LT -> RT (hold both down) or RT -> LT brings up different hotbar portions. Hopefully this should help minimize how much hotbar scrolling you'll need to do.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
You're pretty much going to be using two action bars by the time you hit 50, and most likely using a third for situational cooldowns. This varies from class to class - healers tend to use less buttons, but they still have enough stuff to spillover to multiple bars.

Fortunately you'll learn which abilities are kind of useless and can be purged from your bars - for instance, DRG will pretty much never need Keen Flurry or Feint.

And there are some classes that will be glancing at their hotbars for ability lightups. Bard and Machinist definitely, and a bit of Paladin.

Caeks
Dec 27, 2009

ApplesandOranges posted:

You're pretty much going to be using two action bars by the time you hit 50, and most likely using a third for situational cooldowns. This varies from class to class - healers tend to use less buttons, but they still have enough stuff to spillover to multiple bars.

Fortunately you'll learn which abilities are kind of useless and can be purged from your bars - for instance, DRG will pretty much never need Keen Flurry or Feint.

And there are some classes that will be glancing at their hotbars for ability lightups. Bard and Machinist definitely, and a bit of Paladin.

Besides the Lodestone forums, are there other resources that give in depth analysis for Job playstyle and skills that you would recommend?

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Arrrthritis posted:

Any tips for tanking with a controller? I'm playing a Gladiator w/ intention to go into Paladin (about level 20 atm) and generally things go pretty well when I shield throw -> flash. But whenever the THM goes haywire and nukes everything it's kind of a struggle to get aggro enmity back on the one straggler who runs off past my camera view.

I realize I could just go KB+M but I like playing with a controller a lot more so vOv

1) Flash more
2) I don't know how to target using the enmity list, but figure that out because it would probably save you some time and/or headaches
3) Position yourself on the other side of the mobs from your party. Then if something hauls at someone else you're looking that way anyway, and it presents the angle the melee want to attack from.

Kithyen
Oct 18, 2002
I DON'T KNOW THE BBCODE FOR BIG RED TITLES SO I CAN'T FIX THIS FUCK
I believe it's "Left Bumper" + Dpad Up or Down to scroll thru enmity list.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Klades posted:

2) I don't know how to target using the enmity list, but figure that out because it would probably save you some time and/or headaches

Left/Right on the D-Pad will cycle through targetable things in view. You can use this most of the time to go through the enemy list. It's not perfect, but works well enough.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Klades posted:

1) Flash more
3) Position yourself on the other side of the mobs from your party. Then if something hauls at someone else you're looking that way anyway, and it presents the angle the melee want to attack from.

Kithyen posted:

I believe it's "Left Bumper" + Dpad Up or Down to scroll thru enmity list.

I did a couple more dungeons and 1 and 3 I figured out eventually, but 2 I wouldn't have known w/o you guys. Thanks a bunch!

Just got provoke, and boy am I glad to have a taunt that doesn't share a cooldown.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Arrrthritis posted:

I did a couple more dungeons and 1 and 3 I figured out eventually, but 2 I wouldn't have known w/o you guys. Thanks a bunch!

Just got provoke, and boy am I glad to have a taunt that doesn't share a cooldown.

It is important to note that all provoke does it set your enmity on the target to "Highest enmity + 1". So if you're top enmity, it does nothing. And often, if someone slightly pulls threat on something you were fighting, a shield lob will actually put you further ahead than the provoke will. You can certainly use it to grab a mob off someone who did something silly, but for the most part it's for when things go very wrongly, doing mechanics in a multi-tank fight, and pulling stuff from far away (since it has a better range than everything else you have).

TooManyUzukis
Jun 23, 2007

Klades posted:

It is important to note that all provoke does it set your enmity on the target to "Highest enmity + 1". So if you're top enmity, it does nothing. And often, if someone slightly pulls threat on something you were fighting, a shield lob will actually put you further ahead than the provoke will. You can certainly use it to grab a mob off someone who did something silly, but for the most part it's for when things go very wrongly, doing mechanics in a multi-tank fight, and pulling stuff from far away (since it has a better range than everything else you have).

Provoke is my candidate for "worst written tooltip in the game."

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

TooManyUzukis posted:

Provoke is my candidate for "worst written tooltip in the game."

With the number of people who probably played FFXI back in the day, they should have just swapped the names for Provoke and Overpower.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I think that Square's better off trying to get the mass audience to forget FFXI entirely. It's the game where you killed crabs in once place for a million hours.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

Just killed Ifrit. This game has some really fun bosses and encounters.

At what point do I start to get mounts and stuff?

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Arrrthritis posted:

Just killed Ifrit. This game has some really fun bosses and encounters.

At what point do I start to get mounts and stuff?

You get the quest for you Chocobo very soon.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
There's a main story quest soon after Ifrit that lets you join a grand company. Once you do, do the sidequest in the company hall to get your bird. This will require a bit of fate grinding; this is a good spot to start leveling up the class you need at 15 to unlock your job or to get some cross class skills.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
For those who play with a controller, I recommend using the Expanded Hold Controls. They make it so that when you hold R2 and then L2, or L2 and then R2, an additional set of 8 hotkeys will appear. I find it to be an extreme annoyance to hold R1 and then toggle between different hotbars on the fly, and Expanded Hold Controls fix that situation entirely.

I set mine to Hotbar 6 since I would never use Hotbar 6 otherwise, then set up most of my cooldowns. I would recommend giving it a try over using R1 to switch between things at first because using R1 like that over and over breaks up the flow of the fight. It would take me a few seconds to look and remember what my hotkeys on hotbar 2 are, which can mean death when you're playing something like tank and you're looking for a defensive cooldown. Having cooldowns pop up instantly and knowing exactly where they are is essential, and the Expanded Hold Controls help me to build up a rhythm so I know exactly what I'm doing at all times.

Give it a shot. Keep in mind that until you're around level 50 or so, you probably won't have enough abilities to warrant the Expanded Hold Controls.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

There's a main story quest soon after Ifrit that lets you join a grand company. Once you do, do the sidequest in the company hall to get your bird. This will require a bit of fate grinding; this is a good spot to start leveling up the class you need at 15 to unlock your job or to get some cross class skills.

...I already got CON to 15 :smith:

I guess i'll pick up lancer or something instead and do a bit of that.

What boss encounters do I have to look forward to? Are any of them missable or am I good just doing MC stuff for these awesome experiences?

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Arrrthritis posted:

What boss encounters do I have to look forward to? Are any of them missable or am I good just doing MC stuff for these awesome experiences?

If you just do the main quest line you'll hit all the high spots; the only pre-50 missable dungeons are Cutter's Cry at 38 and Dzamael at 44.

Potato Jones
Apr 9, 2007

Clever Betty

vOv posted:

If you just do the main quest line you'll hit all the high spots; the only pre-50 missable dungeons are Cutter's Cry at 38 and Dzamael at 44.
There's also Halatali.

Edit: Wait, is Qarn optional, too?

Mystic Cave zOWNd
Dec 22, 2006

Trixie bravely turned her tail and fled

And there was much rejoicing.
There's an MSQ for Qarn but it's post-50

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Potato Jones posted:

There's also Halatali.

Edit: Wait, is Qarn optional, too?

Yeah, he will need to side quest for Halatali it is needed to rank up in GC and gives seals for his bird.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Arrrthritis posted:

Controller or not, one thing I'd suggest (to expand a bit on the "Flash more") is preventing the THM from pulling things off you in the first place. If you're not already familiar, there are two enmity indicators.

The obvious one is the list of individual mobs that are mad at you (NB: mobs that someone else has pissed off but you haven't, will not be listed there, so keep an eye on the battlefield too), but that one is kinda crap for telling the distinction between "so pissed at you, it's incapable of looking at anyone else before it dies" and "just barely hates you more than it hates this other dude, and it'll go hit him as soon as he does anything". That one's good for quickly targeting a mob that you've lost aggro on, since it'll have an indicator other than the usual red square.

The less obvious one is only shown when targeting an enemy that your group has started fighting. Look at the party icons (e.g. your blue crossed swords) in the party list. They should have a horizontal bar at the bottom, and A/2/3/4 (and so on for bigger parties) numbering to the side. This indicates relative aggro and is far more useful for knowing just how pissed things are at you. Get into the habit of switching targets fairly quickly as a tank, and hit whichever one has the fullest bar for someone other than yourself. Because that's the one that's most pissed at another person.

A common early tank mistake is to tunnel vision whatever mob you want to die first, and focus all your attention on that. That works okay-ish with single-target DPS (if they're actually killing that thing), but falls apart with multi-target DPS (including DoTs) and healing aggro. Remember as a tank your job is to keep everything pissed at you and keep yourself alive and un-squishy. Your secondary priority - which is still worthwhile, but nevertheless secondary - is to help kill poo poo once the first priority is assured. So before going ham on whatever thing you want dead, as if you were a DPS, make drat sure everything else is solidly pissed at you.

In practice, of course, actually accomplishing this boils down to "Flash more" and later "spread your threat combo around a bit after the initial Flashes". But I think it's important to know why you're doing it and how to tell when you've done it enough.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

Arrrthritis posted:

You don't really need to go grind FATEs for your bird. Unlock the Halatali dungeon and run that once, you should have enough for a bird friend.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Vil posted:

The less obvious one is only shown when targeting an enemy that your group has started fighting. Look at the party icons (e.g. your blue crossed swords) in the party list. They should have a horizontal bar at the bottom, and A/2/3/4 (and so on for bigger parties) numbering to the side. This indicates relative aggro and is far more useful for knowing just how pissed things are at you. Get into the habit of switching targets fairly quickly as a tank, and hit whichever one has the fullest bar for someone other than yourself. Because that's the one that's most pissed at another person.

I've seen this explained in this thread, and I just want to throw in the pic from the OP because I was looking in the wrong place for a little while.

quote:

The "A" on the gladiator's icon indicates that the currently targeted enemy is attacking him. The numbers indicate the second, third, and fourth highest enmity.
The length of the small bar indicates your hate level relative to the maximum.

I don't remember if the last time I read about it, someone had mentioned the class icons. I was looking somewhere near the monster's nameplate, and thought I had a toggle switched off or something.

I haven't done much dungeon tanking yet. I've been a healer for most of my time in game, but I've been tooling around as a few other classes lately. I found Gladiator really slow to play, and I've only done hests on him so far, where it's over before much of anything can get done, so I haven't had to deal with hate in terribly large or dangerous groups. Hopefully this helps.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

kafziel posted:

You don't really need to go grind FATEs for your bird. Unlock the Halatali dungeon and run that once, you should have enough for a bird friend.

Adventurer in need (Tank) was really good for marks. I got 1k per dungeon run, so after two of them I got my chocobo.

ofc this was after getting lancer to 10 and being like "poo poo, 40 marks a FATE? gently caress this."

On the bright side I got to guide two (newer) newbies through the mines & explain the fights. Tanking in this game is soooo much fun.

Only 5 more levels till' paladin!

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

The marks you get scale with the level of the FATE too, so a FATE around 20-25 will give more than FATEs on the way to 10. That said, I like your alternative. :)

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Arrrthritis posted:

Adventurer in need (Tank) was really good for marks. I got 1k per dungeon run, so after two of them I got my chocobo.

ofc this was after getting lancer to 10 and being like "poo poo, 40 marks a FATE? gently caress this."

On the bright side I got to guide two (newer) newbies through the mines & explain the fights. Tanking in this game is soooo much fun.

Only 5 more levels till' paladin!

Be prepared to struggle for a bit once you get Paladin. For some reason they decided to make it so that Paladin gets their tank stance at 40 instead of 30, while every other DPS class hits harder, making it more difficult to keep threat.

Runefaust posted:

Besides the Lodestone forums, are there other resources that give in depth analysis for Job playstyle and skills that you would recommend?

There are a lot of fansites out there that give rough guidelines for jobs and skills that can be found with a quick google search. Basic breakdown is:

Tanks:
Gladiator/Paladin: Sword and board. Lots of damage reduction tools, basic rotations. DPS is a bit low compared to other classes.
Marauder/Warrior: Giant axe. Keeps threat through more of dealing heavy damage. Has various tools to replenish health and buffer damage, but less than Paladin and must manage TP well. Solid DPS stance post-50.
Dark Knight: Greatswords. Has to manage both TP/MP resource systems. Sort of the balance between Paladin and Warrior.

Healers:
Conjurer/White Mage: Basic healer, strongest direct heals. Comes with a bag of utility tools including a knockback, Sleep and costly AoE stuns.
Arcanist/Scholar: Heals are less directly effective compared to White Mage, but also has more powerful barriers to absorb damage. Controls a fairy to assist them in healing. More complex to play well, but high rewards if done right.
Astrologian: Has two stances, one that focuses on regen effects and one that focuses on barriers. Also can draw cards that bestow varying buffs on party members depending on luck. Has lots of fast heals making it a good mobile healer, but a bit less powerful compared to other healers.

Primary DPS:
Lancer/Dragoon: Rotation-heavy class that also takes positioning into account. Some useful DPS-increasing and TP regeneration tools.
Pugilist/Monk: Shifts between three stances for combos. Momentum-heavy class that's reliant on positioning for optimal damage. Very strong single-target DPS, but doesn't provide much support to rest of the party and has very few ranged tools.
Thaumaturge/Black Mage: Caster that shifts between high damage, high consumption stance and lower damage, MP recovery stance. A bit weak on defensive options but has some very nice utility tools, including Sleep and instant-casting your next spell.
Arcanist/Summoner: Focuses on damage over time spells. Also can summon one of three pets (caster, melee, tank) to assist them in battle. Good at demolishing groups of foes and can battle-rez/heal in a pinch, but a bit more complex to get used to, especially if you're not used to handling pets.
Rogue/Ninja: Close-range DPS that can weave combinations of hand signs for elemental AoEs. Also provides some decent party support.

DPS/Support:
Archer/Bard: Ranged DPS that has varying poisons and songs to buff party members or debuff enemies. Doesn't have a 1-2-3 combo like most physical classes, but a proc system where some weaponskills can buff other weaponskills or reset cooldowns.
Machinist: Ranged DPS that with a RNG proc system for their damage - weaponskills have a 50% chance to boost other weaponskills, unless you use ammunition to guarantee them. Also uses turrets to assist them in damaging targets and can use them to generate TP/MP-recovery fields instead.

Zweihander01
May 4, 2009

Arrrthritis posted:

Get some levels in Marauder. Foresight and Bloodbath are pretty early and more cooldowns are better. It's not like you'll be using Cure or Protect that much.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I want to do some unsync Coil farming for glamours - specifically T11 and T12 but I'd absolutely be down to reciprocate by running others to get you stuff. Is the CT linkshell an appropriate place to join and spam to find people? I figure it's an old-content hub, but I don't want to be a rude spammer if it would annoy fellow goons :shobon:

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I'd just add that I feel that drg is least reliant on positionals, but that may just be a feel thing, but I don't feel as horrible bricking Wheeling Thrust/FnC as I do missing Aeolian Edge or even worse Trick Attack. :v:

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

Eimi posted:

I'd just add that I feel that drg is least reliant on positionals, but that may just be a feel thing, but I don't feel as horrible bricking Wheeling Thrust/FnC as I do missing Aeolian Edge or even worse Trick Attack. :v:

You lose 90 potency from the blood positionals. You lose 80 from aoelian. DRG has 4 positionals while ninja has 3. The drg ones are used more. Ninja is the least reliant.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

On the other hand, missing a trick attack is a much bigger loss.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
Fluff class is bad, please remove them from the game.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

Zweihander01 posted:

Get some levels in Marauder. Foresight and Bloodbath are pretty early and more cooldowns are better. It's not like you'll be using Cure or Protect that much.

When I logged in on this guy (Made him over a year ago on a drunken bender) it turns out I already had 15 levels in marauder! So I definitely put foresight in on my hotbar, idk how my damage is to make bloodbath something I should always keep an eye on though.

And yeah I guess true to FFIV paladin healing seems to be pretty atrocious (given how the enmity system works, you'd think the paladin would have some sick single-target heals, but I guess it would be bad for a job to be tank/healer). I'm okay with that so long as I get to throw my shield at people and be a beacon of light against waves of darkness and maybe buff the party too.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Be prepared to struggle for a bit once you get Paladin. For some reason they decided to make it so that Paladin gets their tank stance at 40 instead of 30, while every other DPS class hits harder, making it more difficult to keep threat.

Thaaat's a bummer. Should I expect to deal with a lot of poo poo from party members or is it generally expected for 30-40 paladins to be poo poo (and rake in commendations if I don't lose aggro)?

Also, some more questions!

Questions for now-

What the hell do I need to be stunning/interrupting. I've had this ability in my hotbar for some time now that I haven't been using and it has been driving me nuts.

Questions for late late game-

Can I multiclass job abilities? So like, can I mix Dark Knight and Paladin abilities together to make some weird super tank?

and then if yes, what job goes well with paladin? Is being Cecil a viable thing and not overused/in demand?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I usually just pop Bloodbath when I pop Fight or Flight.

Paladin doesn't really get good heals til like late level 50s (and even then it eats a huge amount of mana so it's more of an emergency heal).

Most people are fairly understanding (especially if you say that's your first job but you still manage to keep on the ball). You'll run into some idiots but that's to be expected every now and then. Just get used to it since you'll probably end up in a 30-39 dungeon every now and then through dungeon roulette.

Paladin doesn't really make much use of Shield Bash (Marauder uses their stun more since it doesn't share a cooldown with their weaponskills, so it's basically free damage). You can remember it's there for some enemies that use AoEs (like bombs), but otherwise don't worry about it too much.

Job abilities are restricted to their jobs. You can't have any other class use PLD abilities, for example. Paladin can only cross-class abilities from Marauder and Conjurer, and sadly it's mostly agreed they don't really get too much out of Conjurer.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

Arrrthritis posted:

When I logged in on this guy (Made him over a year ago on a drunken bender) it turns out I already had 15 levels in marauder! So I definitely put foresight in on my hotbar, idk how my damage is to make bloodbath something I should always keep an eye on though.

And yeah I guess true to FFIV paladin healing seems to be pretty atrocious (given how the enmity system works, you'd think the paladin would have some sick single-target heals, but I guess it would be bad for a job to be tank/healer). I'm okay with that so long as I get to throw my shield at people and be a beacon of light against waves of darkness and maybe buff the party too.

Thaaat's a bummer. Should I expect to deal with a lot of poo poo from party members or is it generally expected for 30-40 paladins to be poo poo (and rake in commendations if I don't lose aggro)?

Also, some more questions!

Questions for now-

What the hell do I need to be stunning/interrupting. I've had this ability in my hotbar for some time now that I haven't been using and it has been driving me nuts.

Questions for late late game-

Can I multiclass job abilities? So like, can I mix Dark Knight and Paladin abilities together to make some weird super tank?

and then if yes, what job goes well with paladin? Is being Cecil a viable thing and not overused/in demand?

The amount of agro you generate is based on the damage that you deal, so your level 30 stance will help you hold mobs' attention, especially for targets you are currently attacking. The level 40 stance gives you a nice boost to your enmity multiplier, which makes aoe skills like flash better. As long as you flash two or three times, then make sure to tab between targets to spread the hate, and use Rage of Halone on whatever the DPS are attacking, sword oath will let you generate more than enough threat. When I do level 50 stuff on PLD, I always do boss fights with sword oath instead of shield.

At level 28, you can do a dungeon called Haukke Manor. The flying succubi will do a large aoe as soon as you pull them that you should stun, but other than that you shouldn't worry about the skill too much. If I'm in a party with two DPS that rely on positionals, I like to use shield bash to stop aoes that would force me to move mobs around, as long as using my stun wouldn't interrupt my combo or make me lose threat.

You cannot crossclass job skills, just class skills.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I want to do some unsync Coil farming for glamours - specifically T11 and T12 but I'd absolutely be down to reciprocate by running others to get you stuff. Is the CT linkshell an appropriate place to join and spam to find people? I figure it's an old-content hub, but I don't want to be a rude spammer if it would annoy fellow goons :shobon:

Yeah, it's been used for coil as well - let your fc know that you want in and someone is bound to be able to invite you

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Part of the reason Paladins got sword oath first was that it originally had an enmity multiplier and there wasn't anything between 30-40 that needed the damage reduction from shield oath. They removed the enmity multiplier from sword oath in 2.1 and things became really awkward, but at 2.0 it was just fine to get them in that order.

Fangthane
May 16, 2007
Be true, Unbeliever.

The Grimace posted:

For those who play with a controller, I recommend using the Expanded Hold Controls. They make it so that when you hold R2 and then L2, or L2 and then R2, an additional set of 8 hotkeys will appear. I find it to be an extreme annoyance to hold R1 and then toggle between different hotbars on the fly, and Expanded Hold Controls fix that situation entirely.

I set mine to Hotbar 6 since I would never use Hotbar 6 otherwise, then set up most of my cooldowns. I would recommend giving it a try over using R1 to switch between things at first because using R1 like that over and over breaks up the flow of the fight. It would take me a few seconds to look and remember what my hotkeys on hotbar 2 are, which can mean death when you're playing something like tank and you're looking for a defensive cooldown. Having cooldowns pop up instantly and knowing exactly where they are is essential, and the Expanded Hold Controls help me to build up a rhythm so I know exactly what I'm doing at all times.

Give it a shot. Keep in mind that until you're around level 50 or so, you probably won't have enough abilities to warrant the Expanded Hold Controls.

I'll tack something onto this too: There is a setting that allows you to change which crossbars are accessible when you have a weapon unsheathed/sheathed. As a SCH, I use this to swap easily between two sets of cross bars by just pressing R1. To make it a bit easier, you could disable autosheathing so when you're in a dungeon where there isn't a ton of down time you can ensure that you can only get to the skills you want on those ~32 buttons rather than having to shift through all the other bars too. Combined with expanded hotbars it makes it pretty easy to map what you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

I just hit 49 on my WAR yesterday so I've got a few questions.

Is there a commonly accepted 'best' website for learning about dungeons? Pre-50 with goons or the occasional understand pug, I was able to have dungeons explained to me, but I'd like a heads up for future mechanics since I assume there's going to be some doozies coming my way. It wouldn't hurt to have some for the dungeons I've already done either, since I don't have everything memorized.

I'm torn between using my stun every time it comes up (FREE DPS) and waiting to use it for interrupts. I know the wisdom is in not saving cooldowns except in rare circumstances, but even some trash mobs have lovely AoEs. Plus my stun isn't a spectacular use of TP for the damage.

Lastly, can any older/wiser WARs share their hotbar setup? I'm on keyboard/mouse, and I'm sure everyone has their own preferences, but I'd rather not get into building more muscle memory for my haphazard setup. I'm not in the habit of using my cooldowns as often as I should as it is, and seeing how others have their buttons laid out would be helpful even for my GCD skills. My main threat combo is 1-2-3 but my maim combo is 1-6-9 which is probably not ideal to begin with, and I know the next 10 levels are going to throw some nice poo poo my way. I have to pick up provoke from GLA today or tomorrow and I'm not sure where to put it, since I hopefully won't need it often but I better know where it is when I DO need it.

• Locked thread